Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    Sure this would be covered under warranty. I'd have them check the pressure in the fuel rail on a cold start. It could be that the pressure is just bleeding down overnight, so that your fuel pump has to work extra harder to re-pressurize the fuel rail so that the car will start.

• zuly,

Are you stepping on the gas pedal when starting your car? That would cause it to flood. My problem only happens when the temps start going up. To date, I have not heard anything about effective (or not) the new engine is. I will qualify for the lemon law on Sunday.
  • zulyzuly Posts: 2
    Just bought a M3 two weeks ago and having the same problem when i start in the morning. In the afternoon it doesnt happen only first thing in the am. What did you do?
    Im taking to dealer today!
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,283
    Why are you asking about a BMW on a Mazda board?
    :P

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• ylzylz Posts: 45
    Hello everyone. I decided I'm buying a 2008 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback. I have two important questions and would love to hear feedback on it so anything would help. First, how is the Navigation in this car? Someone who has the Nav, please comment on this. I mean, honestly I really want it cause it looks good and I'm always travelling and a Nav system would come so in handy. And the second question I have is what color do you guys prefer. I was all set on black until I went to the dealership today and saw metropolitan gray. What a gorgeous color! Its like dark grey but with a touch of blue. Actually, it looks bluish-grayish. I know these two things seem unimportant but it will really affect my decision on this car. Ok, thanks a lot.
  • mazdazoommazdazoom Posts: 43
    Pumping the accelerator should not make it flood, that happens on older cars with a carb, most modern cars are fuel injected and thus pumping the pedal won't flood out an engine. The prior comment on the fuel rail is a great idea, I have seen fuel pumps seemingly work fine but the pressure is slightly below where it is needed to get the proper air/fuel mixture to start. Also, you might have them check your clutch pedal, I have heard of a problem with a switch that tells the computer when the pedal is depressed thus not allowing the car to start, it would be like trying to start it without pressing in the clutch if that "switch" is faulty. Good luck, keep us updated...
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 393
    I do know that having the accelerator pushed seemed to make it so my car would not start (a cut out of some kind), I did this by accident once, had stalled it and was trying to start the car with my foot pressing the accelerator slightly, it would not start, but did start normally when I lifted off the pedal, so I do not think this is the problem the others are experiencing. The car also cranked normally. I think there is something going on with their fuel systems as well.
    Scott
  • joem5joem5 Posts: 201
    Just bought a M3 and it didn't come with a left foot rest. Iam using a piece of taped card board.
    I would apprciate it, if some has a clue how to get one. Just plain old black rubber will do.
    Also, it doesn't have to be from a Mazda as long as it fits..
    Thanks.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 393
    I have floor mats from michelin (from costco) that cover the area in my 3. Know it's not exactly what you want but it does cover the area and stop the carpet from wearing out.
    Scott
  • Well. They've put the new motor in. Car starts well when it's cool, but still has starting problems when it's hot and humid. It now has 30 calendar days at the dealer which qualifies for the lemon law here in VT. Tried to talk with the dealer manager yesterday afternoon, but he had just left. Called this morning and he was at an auction. :| I left a detailed message with his secretary. The service manager told me that the regional rep couldn't come up and check out the car at this time because he's the only rep in the NJ area at the moment. I'm starting to get cranky now. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Thanks I'll Google Cosco now.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    I suppose I've never missed have the left foot rest because none of my previous cars have had them. They've all been manual transmissions, too...so I probably wouldn't use it much even if I had one. Although it might be useful on the highway when I go long period without putting my left foot on the clutch.

The mention of wearing the carpet in the area where a left foot rest would be made me wonder- has anyone else worn a hole in the right-heel area of the driver's side floormat? Mine was starting to noticeably wear when the car was barely two months old. By the time it was 1-yr old, a whole (at least 1-inch diameter) had formed all the way through the carpet AND the backing of the floormat! I ignored it until the car was about 18 months old. That's when I realized that the hole wasn't just in the floormat, but the carpeting under the mat, too...all the way down to the metal/insulation underneath!

Anyone else had similar issues with their mats or carpeting? It's the only complaint I have with the interior, which is otherwise made of very high quality materials.

After I discovered how bad the worn spot had become, I ordered the All-Season Rubber Floormats AND the Premium Carpeted Floormats from the Mazda Accessories catalog. The Premium Carpet mats are worlds better than the standard ones- in quality, durability and looks. They come in black with red or blue accents to complement the interior. I just wish they had a heel pad on the driver's mat to take the bulk of the abuse that killed my original one.
  • redmazda3redmazda3 Posts: 28
    I am on my 3rd drivers side floor mat. Both of the previous ones were replaced under warranty. Apparently with my AT, I must keep my heel in the same spot as I drive. The motion of going from the accelerator to the brake pedal wears down the floor mat eventually making a hole. I did not make a hole in the carpet under this mat, but I do have a tear in the front passenger carpet right in front of the shelf that goes under the seat. People either place their foot there as they are getting in and out and twisting their feet as the slide along the carpet. Right now the dealer tried a stupid fix of putting velcro under the floor mat to cover the hole. That didn't work very well. I am going to see if there is anything else they can do. My 4 year warranty runs out in October, so I'll be doing something very soon with the carpet. I also have a shudder when the car shifts from 4th to 3rd when decelerating, coasting a bit and then accelerating. So far the dealer has been real accomodating about any problems in the past and hope this will continue.
    I suppose I've never missed have the left foot rest because none of my previous cars have had them. They've all been manual transmissions, too...so I probably wouldn't use it much even if I had one. Although it might be useful on the highway when I go long period without putting my left foot on the clutch.

If you do any serious performance/track driving you WILL miss the left foot rest as its purpose is to provide a place to brace your left foot. I'm glad that my MS3 has one.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• ylzylz Posts: 45
    Hello all. Would someone who owns a 2008 Mazda 3 WITH Nav, please comment on this. It is an accurate navigation system? It is tedious to use with that controller next to the shifter? I know it may not be worth the price but I like the clean look of a nav system in a car but I need some feedback on THIS particular nav. Please help. Thanks.
    mine workswell. You have to upgrade it every year w. new mmc or as in wife's BMW a disc. I use mine alot using a pencils eraser end as it's faster more Accurate ,or easier to program.
    You're right it has a clean look but.cost too much.
    I have a Navi 240C in my RSX and it sits in a beanbag on dash you can't get it to slide . I like better than the in dash one too because it's portable and i can put it in a cup holder w/ mount.,and no one can see it. I don't look at them much .I just listen to it and if I screw up it reroutes me.
    I only have 900 miles on my Mazda 3,I doubt I'll have it next year. I think the car is cheaply made. I never saw felt floors and so much plastic. I bet the tires will barely be good for 25K.
    However , it's will be a good winter beater. I 'll sell it and go to a TSX. Good luck to you though and I hope you enjoy your'e ride Zoom Zoom :shades:
    I bet when you tried the car out you never noticed the cheap felt carpeting,or velcroed floor mats.
    I think the car is made on the cheap to make it light for better MPG. Man it's all plastic. The floor wells are not deep enough to put cut pile in it or custom rubber floor mats from Auto sport. I've been reading the horror stories on how the tires wear. The car is a head turner to some,thats why it sells and the price is right.
    I'm going to buy rubber mats at wall mat and swap them out .
    I did put a Shark Fin antenna on itand sideways it looks like a Beamer. ,but it's history next year . I've had it 2 months and have only 900 miles on it 147 are dealer go get miles. You get what you pay for.
    I did put a Shark Fin antenna on it and sideways it looks like a Beamer[sic]

You mean it looks like a BMW motorcycle?

Bimmer= BMW Automobile
    Beemer= BMW Motorcycle

• whilstwhilst Posts: 19
    Hi. I too have an '06 3i Touring w/5spd Auto.(daughters').
    I drained her fluid yesterday, and w/only 45K on it, the fluid was as black as any I've ever seen!
    I added 3.5 qts of Mobil1 ATF.
    However,this is NOT approved fluid for Mazda!-It's up to par,just not approved.
    Exxon/Mobil emailed a response to me yesterday stating a NEW re-formulation of Mobil1 Universal Import ATF is due to hit shelves anytime after August 1.
    That is approved by Mazda and other mfg.s'
    HTH.
  • hey man i got the same problem with my mazda 3 2004 model. every time i accelerate to 1500 revs i hear a ticking noise coming from the intake manifold. i thought it was the lifters at first and i also thought it was the timing chain but it seems to be this bufferfly thing in the manifold.How much would it cost me to get it done? is this a common problem with my car?? plz get back to me asap b4 i decide wot to do. thank you..