Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• ecoganecogan Posts: 26
    Thanks - good chatting with you. Excellent info.

EGC
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    then again my cars last 250K miles plus

I'd have to keep a car about 33 years to get that many miles on it, so in my case I am pretty sure no matter how often I were to change transmission fluid, I'd not get to 250K mi. :)
  • You sent off a sample to the lab for analysis, and they were saying my work is overkill? As far as my statements I am speaking from experience, time in the forums, and friends/mechanics. This thread is helpful but I am not going to perform research to satiate your obvious desire to always be right about everything, we all love a know it all :) . A question was posted, and many experienced answers and “best guesses” were posted in response which is the nature of informal online forums. If scientific proof is part of your criteria to validate a statement made here, then the burden of proof is on you, as it was your unsolicited response that initiated this little fracas. I am sure the other users on this forum would rather not click through any further pointless posturing, on this site if information is useful you take it, if not you leave it.

Good Day Sir
  • Ha, yes I suppose that is true for many. I put on 20K miles in a year easy :) .
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I see, so you make an unsubstantiated (and technically incorrect) response to a question, and then when someone challenges your statements, you get ticked off and attack.

MazdaZoom = zero credibility
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    Let's back off making this about each other and stick to the cars please. Thanks

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,271
    I'm hurt; I thought I was "Mr. Know-It-All"
    :cry:

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Ha! yes yes, I prostrate myself before you and beg forgiveness :).
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Posts: 103
    Is the 30,000 mi maintenance service really necessary? If you skip the service, what do you do for maintenance instead? Honestly, i'm trying to hopefully save $ (dealership charges $365). I do know besides oil change, tire rotation the transmission fluid and air filter should be changed. Does the service include changing the cabin air filter? (I could not find the list of services online)
    Mazdrvr - I would not skip the 30K mile service. My brother-in-law has owned Mazdas for the past 20 years, and is convinced that Mazda has a very "honest" service schedule and does not try to sell unnecessary services. If your car has the usual 36K mile warranty, you definitely want to do the service, so as to not void the warranty. One thing you may want to do, is consult a local trusted auto place (I know, they are tough to find sometimes...) and see what they would charge for you for that service.

Although dealers can be more expensive than local chain-type auto places, it may be worth the extra bucks to make sure a Mazda-certified tech worked on the car.

Good luck.
    I'd get the 30K service; just make sure that the dealer doesn't perform any more work than the Mazda schedule calls for.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    You have to do it but you don't have to do it at the dealer, as long as you have a detailed repair order stating what was done. If you skip it entirely, that gives Mazda an excellent loophole to deny you warranty coverage on any item included in the 30K service.

You can also discuss with the dealer which items on the 30K list are "mandatory" and which are in fact "optional".

• mazdrvrmazdrvr Posts: 103
    Thank you very much to all who replied!
  • ylzylz Posts: 45
    Hello all. Just purchased a 2009 Mazda 3 GT Hatch this week and it's a great car. But I did notice that the transmission seems to be guessing as to which gear it should be in. I mean there are times when I'm at 30 miles an hour and it's at 4th or 5th gear already. That's weird isn't it? Should I take it back to the dealer? I'm hoping that this is because the car is still new (not even 200 miles on it yet) and it will figure it out over the course of time. And also, I noticed that you feel every bump on the road with my car. I knew that the suspension was stiff but didn't realize you would feel EVERYTHING. Again, I'm hoping that this is because it's new and will smooth out later. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
    I'd call the manufacturer first and see if that is normal.
    That's a problem with many modern slushboxes; they are calibrated to upshift as early as possible in order to generate good fuel economy numbers. In your case it is probably normal. As for the ride, I have a Mazdaspeed 3 which is fitted with a somewhat stiffer suspension than a Mazda 3 and I don't find it harsh at all. I will note that I prefer a car that lets me know what the steering and suspension are doing. Maybe I'll want a rolling marshmallow when I turn 80, but at the ripe old age of 52 I want a car that is entertaining to drive.

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    In my mazda6, it'll upshift early under light acceleration, but under hard acceleration it won't shift until redline. I see this variation as an advantage, not a problem...it could stand to be a little less "aggresive" on the early upshifts, though.
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 460
    Why not use the "manu-matic" mode if you don't like the automatic's performance?
    Why not use the "manu-matic" mode if you don't like the automatic's performance?

My Mazdaheap 3 isn't a slushbox; I was simply pointing out how modern automatics often perform.

• any updates on the new software and have you found out of what glitches the computer to send the engine light on?
    Mazda gave me the same story. The engine light appears and I take it in, they say it's the thermostat. But the car rides fine.
    They have ordered me the thermostat and it cost 75 for the part and 75 for labor.
    Then I read your forum and after you've replaced it the engine light re appears!
    If you have any new info to pass on of this problem.
    Pls. inform, that would be great