Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Hopefully, this will be a one-time occurrence.
    Agreed. Happy trails! :)
  • mazdazedmazdazed Posts: 34
    Does anyone know the model number and manufacturer of the 5 speed manual used in the 2009 Mazda 3?
  • stacylimstacylim Posts: 1
    I have been chasing a creaking noise for weeks - it sounds like it is coming from the area where the seat belt attaches to the car - I still can not exactly ensure where it is from.

I have lubed everything. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work, it always comes back.
    I do not know how to fix this problem....does anyone know how to resolve it?
  • jandrjandr Posts: 4
    My red 08's stock tires/wheels appear to be scraping the paint off of the inner part of the rocker-panel trim pieces. I travel on a couple miles of bumpy dirt road every day but not at breakneck speed. Anyone else experience this problem?
  • nifty56nifty56 Posts: 279
    Get the adaptor from your Mazda dealer, its the filter housing used on the 2.0 it bolts right on. no mod necessary
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Posts: 47
    It is a known thing with a number of Mazda3s, for which there is a Technical Service Bulletin. Bring it to your dealer and they will fix it for you.

I have the same noise residing in my seat buckle, but since the creaking noise only happens intermittently and mostly at around 40F, I usually forget about it by the time my car is at a dealer for an oil change.
  • sonnyrockersonnyrocker Posts: 126
    My driver seat is having some abnormal wear and tear. The lower area where it supports my back - on the left side soft plush black area - the fabric surface is getting a lot of fuzz and linen pop up.
    Anyone experiences that? I only have the car for about 2 months. I am thinking taking it back and get them to replace the seat.
  • roger341roger341 Posts: 59
    Started to notice a short squeaking noise when clutch is released while changing gears.

Not coming from pedal itself.

Clutch fluid ok.

04 with less than 30,000 miles. Just wondering if this could be serious. No slippage of any kind or any other abnormality while shifting, just this odd noise.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    It's probably just a squeak coming from the pedal assembly itself rather than anything wrong with the clutch. I've occasionally had a similar squeak on almost every one of my cars since 1980 and it always seems to happen when the weather is changing from colder to hotter or drier to wetter, something like that. And it's always on the release of the clutch pedal. The good news is that it has ALWAYS gone away after a short time, although it does drive you crazy wondering what's going on when it first starts up.

It IS hard to pinpoint the sound, but having checked more than once to try and track it down and finding nothing wrong, the only conclusion left is that some part of the assembly is rubbing just right, under the right conditions to create the squeak.

I've averaged about 175,000 miles on each of my cars with a couple going over 230,000 and have had no clutch issues at all on any of them. If the squeak was "something", I certainly gave it a chance to turn into a problem and it never has.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• abchin486abchin486 Posts: 78
    I have the same problem....

but my warrenty is over:( Sad thing is, it started at about 26K and i never had time to bring it in. I am at 47K now....you think they will still fix it?
  • almattialmatti Posts: 164
    Just got a new 2008 M3 s Touring. Settled on it although I was shopping for a new 2009 s GT 4 dr sedans. None left in my metro area. Anyway: Should I apply commercial Scotchguard to the "premium sport cloth"? I had a 2005 Mazda 6 with the cloth interior (it was totalled in an accident in 2007) that was not wearing to well. Anybody have thoughts on this. Does it help?
    Should I apply commercial Scotchguard to the "premium sport cloth"?
    It could help resist stains and spills; I sprayed my 2002 Mazda Protege5 seats and they still look new. Test it first on a part of the cloth that is not readily visible to ensure there are no surprises.
  • halserhalser Posts: 20
    I have a 2006 Mazda 3 S. It has 44k with the 2.3 and a manual transmission.
    I changed my oil 2 times using Mobil 1 synthetic oil 5w-20. I just came across
    instructions for a 2004 Mazda 3 with the 2.3. It mentions replacing the oil pan drain plug crush washer. I don't remember the washer. The instructions that I used did not mention this. Does this apply to the 2006?
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    The '07-'09 cloth pattern is different from my '06 s Touring 5-door (the '06 and before had black with blue checks or black with red check pattern). The material is almost like a nylon, not very plush but holds up VERY WELL. Any stain (so far) can be removed with a wet cloth and a tiny bit of Dawn detergent, if the damp cloth alone doesn't work.

If the '08 has a similar type of material, I wouldn't waste my time/money Scotchguarding it. It looks better than any of my Hondas did at 3yrs and 70k miles!

The carpeting is a different story...at least on my model. My heel wore a hole thru the floormat and then thru the actual carpeting underneath (to the metal/insulation on the floorpan) within two years. I just bought the "Premium" floormats and they're holding up much better...but there's still a hole underneath the driver's mat....irritates me a little... :mad:
    Just curious, have you changed the oil/fluid in your manual transmission yet? I think it's "recommended" at 45k miles. I went to 50k or so before I got around to it, though.
  • halserhalser Posts: 20
    I have not changed the oil/fluid in the manual transmission yet. I have been changing the motor oil and filter every 7500 using the Mobil 1 5w-20.
    I've only owned Hondas (and Acuras) in the past. They were all manual transmissions and I used the same motor oil in the transmission as in the engine (Castrol Syntec for the past 12 years). But the Mazda manual transmission requires 80-90W Gear Oil...I'm not sure why the difference?
    I wouldn't waste my time/money Scotchguarding it
    I did not regret my $8 investment in money and 10 minute investment in time (interior sprayed once in 2002 and again in 2005) when the occasional accident happened (as when my dog got car sick). Cheap insurance.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    But the Mazda manual transmission requires 80-90W Gear Oil...I'm not sure why the difference?

It depends on the design of the transaxle. I change the transaxle oil in my MS3 every 30K because it sees the track every now and then.The cars that are street driven only get an oil change every 60K.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

For the first 20-months and 48k miles, I commuted 70 miles daily in Atlanta gridlock. One day, I counted the number of shifts I made one-way to work- 217 shifts in 35 miles!

I try to follow the "Schedule 2 (extreme conditions)" maintenance schedule whenever possible. Thankfully, the car (and the driver) have a much easier commute now! :)