Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    First of all, there is a limiter; second, you didn't go THAT far over the redline; and third, the engine is pretty new. Oh -- and fourth, this only occurred for a few seconds. As long as your oil's in good shape, I don't think you did anything at all.

Meade
  • ggoinsggoins Posts: 57
    I did quite a bit of investigating while living above 7500 ft. last year. Michelin has an excellent from snow to ice. I purchased the MX series which was very high rated very deep tread. excellent on 2 or 4 wheel driving
    anyone else had this. dealer says it is harmonics of the engine. we sat in 2 other mazda 3's same vibration...also preliminary gas mileage is variable..
  • I seriously doubt you did any damage either. That's the reason for that rev limiter, to keep you from revving so high that you'll do damage. Also, I've always read that redlines are a bit conservative on a lot of cars.

But, in the words of Jeff Foxworthy, "Don't do that no more!"
  • I asked the same questions 6 months ago. Dealer is correct. I noticed that the vibration has calmed down quite a bit, though (even at idle). Could be the engine mounts breaking in. The rubberized mounts will harden in colder temps - this could be part of it. Spring time will tell if this is truth or myth. Over time, rubberized mounts will harden permanently. I think Mazda had made mods to an engine mount (1 of 3 or 4) due to cracking or breakage on older models.

Time will tell; I was concerned for about a week - that has since passed.
  • My only concern is those darn computers and drives. They keep record of everything. If the car were to develop an engine or emission problem, related to or unrelated to redlining, could the mfg. make an arguement that redling caused the problem?
  • BTW - Daryl I brought the warranty issue up for a good reason.

Several months back I had read in a auto magazine (I believe it was Automotive News) that Mitsubishi voided warranty on someone's Lancer based on info they found on the internet related to that particular vehicle and its owner belonging to a race club.

Just wait till they start installing 'black boxes' like the ones found on commercial jets. We are doomed.
  • modockmodock Posts: 55
    It was real cold last week (I'm talking high of 8F) and I noticed the same thing that he is talking about. I did not notice it during the summer or when I was doing anything but revving the engine to try and warm it up at a stop light. I have never noticed it while I actually had the car in gear. So I tried to stay right at 2100 rpm with the car in third gear and I got nothing. There was no vibration at all. That leads me to believe that the Dealer was correct and that the vibration is due to random harmonics in the engine. I think that is was just a coincidence that I noticed it when it was cold. Why would I be revving the engine to get it warm when the weather is warm. Just my 2 cents.

Modock
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Just wait till they start installing 'black boxes' like the ones found on commercial jets. We are doomed.

Some mfg already use them....they don't inform the consumer either. Lawyers and prosecuters gladly use the information agaisnt you..
    Thanks. the vibration can feel just like a motor mount problem.I wrote to Mazda still awaiting a response... also at 650 miles we notice a gulping of gas (we are doing a full tank then fill-up to check)...any body have this issue with the hatchback 3
  • daryldaryl Posts: 41
    Thanks for the responses to my redlining issue. It was about 200 miles ago and there appear to be no side effects.
    Daryl
    we also had a red-lining incident at 300 miles on the 3. car wash jockey revved way over red line and popped the clutch...got him fired by the manager and left us wondering. our dealer had the same feedback about the rev-limiter. seems to be the case..no damage either.
  • richmlrichml Posts: 156
    Doesn't GM have them on some models?
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Not a problem with my Mazda3 - but is anyone else getting this message? Post could not be completed due to login delay - I have been getting this every time I sign on to Edmunds. System is also VERY slow - is this why there are almost no new posts?
  • I installed the factory sirius so it would be integrated. Very easy to do. Antenna's on the front of my dash, under the windshield
    I have not received that message...no problems use comcast in SAC CA. can I ask what year is your 3 and what mileage you are getting?
    Bill, I've been getting the same message intermittently for the last three or four days when I click the Mazda link under the Forums.
  • z71bill...just wondering if you've had time yet to determine if your mpg has improved at all since you had the "shift shock" reflash? A few posters on other forums report a small 1-2 mpg improvement. My 3 needs this re-flash also and I'm hoping once I get it done my mileage improves. Thanks
    everfeb
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,669
    I too have been getting this message for the past few days...just thought they were working out a bug.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,796
    Should be fine now. A few server burps.

• Ok folks, that clicking sound has finally been fixed. I must say, I was impressed by the dealer's service (Open Road Mazda \ Ryan). They found the clicking sound to be due to the windshield not seated properly.

It took a couple of days to get approval from Mazda's regional office to reseal or replace the windshield. I had to wait a little longer since we were also waiting for a new rear speaker. I took my car back in when they received that part.

They said it might be a couple of days but later that same evening I got a call from them informing me that the car is ready.

Picked it up and have been exteremly happy. No clicking sound, and the the Bose sounds great! Other than that clicking sound, I have always found that my Mazda 3 feels solid. No other rattles or squeaks (other than my stuff in the car).
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    2004 Mazda3 S sedan (2.3L) just went over 18,500 miles

Since I had the shift shock problem fixed I have noticed a small improvement but still nothing to brag about. I have filled up 3 times since - one tank was 22 - the others were 21MPG. Normal has been around 19 MPH - most of my driving is city stop and go and because of the weak AC and warm climate I run the AC most of the time. So it looks like I have about 2 MPG improvement.

My MPG have ranged from a low of around 16 MPG - for several tanks after Mazda fixed my CEL problem - to a high of 29.+ on a pure highway trip.

I still get the "Post could not be completed due to login delay" every time I sign on - but at least I know its not just my PC - I had some kind of virus called NavExcel my software kept catching it - and removing it - but it would come back - one day I killed it at least 25 times.

I thought maybe this virus was causing my problems.
    You can use the "feedback" link at the bottom of this page to report any problems to the trouble desk.

I just got the message again.
    so what are you guys getting for mileage on the new 3?
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    I'm still getting the message on 12/20 at 3PM MT.
  • Just bought the car last weekend :)
    Its pretty good so far..but it is definitely a noisy babe car..probably also because the road condition in San diego is not that great, but the road noise is realy really noticable @.@~ Ok, not really here to complain about this obvious fact to everyone..but curious to know if there is anything I can do to reduce that noise? :confuse:
    Be sure to report it to the help desk...click "feedback" at the bottom of this page...also clear your cache and try again next time that heppens.

• ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 273
    Updated [rear] brake pads were recently introduced in Canada. These are not new pads to be confused with the recent TSB. These ones also reduce the amount of brake dust on the rears. Anyone have any experience with them? The dealer told me that they will wear out the rotors faster. Others say that's BS.

Speaking of brakes. Mine make a clicking or creaking noise when backing up, even after long driving. Anyone else experience this? The inept dealer cant find anything wrong. Mind you, all of the Mazda dealers service departments in my area are very tiny and it's difficult to hear unless they drive the car in and back up in a decent sized underground parking lot.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 273
    Has anyone purchased satellite radio and installed it in their Mazda 3 ?? I'm wondering what installation choices people are making..??..where to install the attenna ?...where to install the unit and how to connect it to power..??..I know you can plug these units into the cigarette lighter but it pains me to think I have to mess up my interior with wires running all over the dash for power and attenna ??

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/docs/maz3_sat_install.pdf

http://www.bcmazda3.com/forum/index.php?topic=1542.0