Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• Go 16, cheaper and works just as good.
  • Try shifting into a higher gear... say, third?
    I own a 2004 5 Dr, hatchback 5-speed.
    My wife and I recently made a trip from Texas to northeast Pennsylvania and got an average of 32.5 MPG, and that was loaded.
    On the way back, we were dragging a 5'X 8' U-Haul trailer full of stuff, and not very aerodynamic I might add, and got 15.5 MPG overall.
    On the average week I drive 33 miles a day to and from work, in Austin city traffic, and depending on whether or not the A/C is running I can easily get between (and no less than) 25-30 MPG.
    What are you doing to this poor car????
    :confuse:
  • daryldaryl Posts: 41
    You must live around Chicago. I realize that had I purchased snow tires, They'd be useless for 90% of this winter.
    Daryl
  • ggoinsggoins Posts: 57
    Thanks eh? no real load issues and glad to hear that you guys are getting good mileage...other than that the car runs great....3rd gear,,,that was funny....but really what could cauze that mileage????come ON think!! and thanks!
  • richmlrichml Posts: 156
    I live in New Jersey, and bought 17" tires.

I didn't buy 16" with another set of rims, the store will do free changeovers for the life of the tires.

I feel like a skier with a new set of skis and no snow.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,050
    do you drive with the heat controls in the defrost position very often? That turns on the AC on most new cars and that will gobble up gas very nicely.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,669
    In summer I had my AC on all the time and had no where near 16mpg.

My feeling is that there is something wrong, be it mechanical or electronic/computer, with a Mazda3 if it is getting 16mpg.

Just for comparison, the 2007 Chevy Tahoe city mpg is rated at 15mpg – 5600lbs, 320hp V8.

Not sure what the solution would be other than going to the dealer.
  • dridedride Posts: 139
    I have had my defrost on all the time this winter. It runs constantly. Defrost uses the AC? Perhaps that would explain my poorer than usual winter mileage.
    Yep. Try to use defrost as little as possible/necessary and see what happens to your fuel mileage.

You're going to normally get worse mileage in winter than summer anyway, so if you have defrost on all the time you will get the worst of the worst.

• moontommoontom Posts: 28
    I've read the back posts on this, and I'm still in the dark: does anybody know for sure if Mazda changed/improved the AC system for the '06 3s? (has to be something more than the pollen filter, doesn't it?)

also the sluggish first-gear problems w/ cold engine (auto trans)?

thanks in advance for any/all insight....
    I agree...no the defrost (thanks) I think the valves need to "seat" and until then....we had an incident where a car wash jockey spun the car out but the rev limiter we hope did it's job. took it to the dealer after that,...i do not know if they did a compression tests. they stated the rev limiter is absolute protection.....appreciate the posts.
    appreciate your thoughts.please see my post 2902 I think.....
  • widow1widow1 Posts: 39
    Dealer's Service Department did further research on my throttle issue. Now says that Mazda knew they had a throttle problem on thousands of 2006 Mazda 3s. The throttle's were replaced as mine was when the cars reached port in the States. Something about not enough clearance to accomodate carbon build ups which resulted in the throttle sticking open at a certain RPM level. However, the throttle replacement did not solve the trick and now Mazda has a new fix with a further refined throttle replacement. I'm waiting for the part to arrive and hope it solves the trick. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Something about not enough clearance to accomodate carbon build ups which resulted in the throttle sticking open at a certain RPM level.

... But I thought carbon build-up was something that happened after thousands and thousands of miles, using poor gasoline? Surely carbon can't build up in a throttle body enough to cause problems on a car's first tank of gas?

Meade
  • jmillsjmills Posts: 77
    Why would you get poorer gas mileage in the winter?
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I don't think anyone can answer your question - because no one knows the answer except Mazda.

But Mazda will not even admit that there is a defect in SOME of the 2004 & 2005 models - I do not see them making some kind of anouncement - LOOK WE FIXED THE AC SO NOW IT COOLS THE CAR!!

There is no way to know until we get a large number of 2006 Mazda3's on the road AND we also have some nice hot 90+ degree days. That is when the complaints will show up - if the problem has not been fixed.

Just be aware - since Mazda has decided to not fix any vehicles with the weak - defective AC systems if you do get a bad one then you are stuck. If a good AC is important I sure would not buy one until I could let it sit in the sun for an hour or so on a nice hot humid 90 degree day and test it out for myself.

Or I guess you could ask a sales person - I bet they will be happy to tell you something like - never heard of that problem - I am sure IF there was an issue it has been fixed - and if a problem ever does come up you have a 4 year 50K mile warranty.
  • we had an incident where a car wash jockey spun the car out but the rev limiter we hope did it's job"

I hope you smacked him in the face... :)
    well smacking done dawg.
  • widow1widow1 Posts: 39
    Problem with throttle sticking open didn't develop on the first tank of gas, but around 1000 miles on the car and about 5 times since episodically after I reached that mileage mark. Will see if dealer's service department knows what they're talking about ( If I explained the problem and fix correctly on this forum thread) when the new "revamped " throttle is installed. Thanks, Meade, for your thoughts on the issue.
    I welcome any thoughts on another issue with a 2004 Mazda 3s sedan I talked my mother into buying and am now on the hot seat over. We put 17" Bridgestone Potenza RE 750's on the car right after purchase and sold the OE Goodyears on eBay. The car vibrated at 55mph from the get go. The Mazda dealer has balanced the tires 4 times free of charge and rotated them once over the last year - she has only 6100 miles on the tires. 8/32 tread depth left. Still the vibration persists. Service manager says the wheels are fine - nothing bent. Finally, we put new tires on the car and had them Hunter road force mounted/balanced to ensure no tires were out of round as we suspected might be the case on the Bridgestones. None were. We went from an ultra high performance summer tire to a Grand touring All Season tire, the Continental ProContact purchased from the Tirerack. Can only conclude problem is with the car. Suspecting the brake rotors as Mazda 3s have had issues with them. Beyond that possibly suspension tightness, wheels bearings ? Any ideas out there ? Mother is about ready to buy a Jetta or Civic as her frustration mounts. Going to call Mazda Customer Assistance and open a case file on the car and see if that lights any fires. Maybe arbitration as dealer has had many opportunities to fix the problem and cannot correct the vibration.
  • chacobleuchacobleu Posts: 228
    Tires.

A couple of weeks ago I test drove a top-of-the-line Mazda 5 with 205/50-17 tires by Toyo. When I commented to the Mazda salesperson that Mazda had switched tire mfg. from Goodyear to Toyo he tells me that the 17" Toyos are mfg. by Goodyear for Toyo.

Till date, I can't verify what he said; nor have I been able to find 205/50-17 tires from Toyo. At the time I didn't think about it, but thinking back I should have looked at the tread design of the Toyos to see if they looked anything like the Goodyears.

Does anyone have any insight as to the performance of these all-season tires? My test drive was brief and inconclusive.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I would like to see a post about what Mazda customer service does for you.
  • I don't know of a switch on the 3 (I frequent another board and would have heard) You'll probably get more response in the Mazda5 forum
    Well first of all the car runs richer (and longer) during warm up in winter, and some engines never warm up properly during short trips; then the gasoline is often re-formulated for winter; and generally in bad weather people tend to drive in lower gears for traction.

• my 2005 3 has these tires, they are not very good on snow pack or ice,
  • for the local dealers customer service they do as little as they can get away with, I finally went up the cooperate ladder to Mazda USA in California to get reimbursed for the rental that got us home after my 3 blew it's engine at 3559 miles... The local slogan is "where nobody buys just one" one is more than enough for me!
    so on subject of gas mileage do you think in any way that the engine was damaged when the car wash jockey revved the car causing a poor seating in the valves???
    don't think so...if a valve was bent by over-revving you'd certainly know it.

I wonder what else on a vehicle with less than 700 miles could cause this....break in period? bad gas? hmmmm.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    A guy gets his car towed into our shop and he states that it started making a bad noise and he pulled over to potentially avoid any further damage...turns out he had just come from a well known quick oil change place...well our techs look at the car and the oil cartridge was cracked from improper installation and the car lost all oil and cooked the engine....of course mazda will not cover this under warranty since wasn't mazda fault and the quick oil change place won't cover it either. They sent a guy down who did alot of talking and excuse making but refused to accept responsibility... so now the poor guy is facing a $5700 bill for a new engine on his year old mazda3.

The point of the story is to be very careful who you let change the oil cartridge on your Mazda3s...it requires a special tool to get it just right and one little mistake and your walking...