Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Edmunds had $12,725 and they offered $11,500. Sounds like I have more negotiating to do, eh???

Always negotiate. Keep in mind, Edmunds is a publisher, they are not in the "car business". Their trade values are not an accurate measurement of true vehicle value.
  • chavis10chavis10 Posts: 166
    Thanks for the reply. I checked out Kelly Blue Book and they listed the value at $13,545. I'll set $13,000 as my lowest limit and go from there since I dew have a few dings and dents. I live in the city and park on the street so...
    Sometimes thinking what KBB or Edmunds says is law may actually hurt you, and cause you to pass on a good deal. I know in my store, I have yet to sell a pre-owned vehicle for what KBB or Edmunds says it's worth. I always list the price lower then them, and I usually sell for even lower then that.

My advise it to have the dealer show you the book that they use to asses vehicle values, and have then explain how they came to their number. Here in the North East, we use Galves. Down south and in the mid west, I think they use whats called the "black book"
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    have the dealer show you the book that they use to asses vehicle values, and have then explain how they came to their number. Here in the North East, we use Galves. Down south and in the mid west, I think they use whats called the "black book"

An important thing to remember about the "black book" is that it is a publication created for dealers and not by an independent third party. In other words, this presents the information from the dealers point of view. As a consumer I would look at several sources (including KBB) to balance the picture.
    As a consumer I would look at several sources (including KBB) to balance the picture.

KBB does not buy or sell vehicles. How do they know what they are worth? They give you values for free, and make money through advertisement. If they were really reputable, why would they not charge for their info? Because it is worthless, and they know it.

Having KBB give a value for a vehicle is like me stating how much I think Sony should sell a TV for. I can do research on reliability and features until I am blue in the face, but, it gives me no merit to say how much one should sell for new or pre-owned.
    An important thing to remember about the "black book" is that it is a publication created for dealers and not by an independent third party

That is incorrect. The Black Book is an independent company that established wholesale values for vehicles that pass through an auction. Galves is the same. Dealers use these books because most of the time, vehicles are traded in that are no longer a dealer retail piece. So, these vehicles need to go to an auction. A dealer needs to know what that vehicle will bring at an auction, so, these books are resourced as to what these vehicles true worth are. Hence what a real trade value is.

Now, if a dealer is taking in a retail piece, usually they will step up on the trade offer to make the deal because they can sell it for a profit. That does happen quite a lot.

Now, as a customer, I think it is wise to negotiate until you cannot go any further. That is what I suggested to that other person who posted. But, many times, people walk away from great deals because they are ignorant, stupid, or both.
    He whipped out his little black book and the prices were roughly $2000 lower than what I found on Blue Book. This book did not include any provisions for all of the options on my car. He claimed the book is used at auctions and is a used car manager's bible. While this maybe true, I am always skeptical about anything being said at the neogiating table.

Example- they told me they'd give me the car at invoice yet when I examined the breakdown, the starting price is listed at invoice but the option package and accessories are at MSRP. I did not mention this as it assumed me somewhat. He worked so hard to gain my trust and I got him up $700 on my trade yet he still tries to assume I'm a foolish enough to let him sneak in an extra couple hundred dollars. The deceit is what really kills me about the entire car transaction game. Don't tell me I'm getting the car at invoice unless you are prepared to actually do so. When I go to sign my papers next week, I'm gonna have to show him that he's dealing with a savvy car buyer. If SOME of these employees displayed more honesty, I don't think they'd have the reputation that they do.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    It definitely pays to know all the prices for all parts of any transaction. I would have also assumed that if the salesman says he will sell the car for invoice, that it would also include any option package or accessory that was added on. Invoice is invoice and at no time was MSRP ever discussed. Good for you for noticing this slip on his part. But keep one thing in mind...it may really have been a slip on his part and not intentional. I'd like to think that he just made a mistake, but part of me also thinks he's trying to slip it past you. Just wish honesty would play a bigger role in the car buying scenario...from every side! Probably dreaming on that score, but I always hold out some hope...the eternal optimist.

The Sandman :)
    Negotiating is key.

It is unfortunate that many bad apples of the past still ruin the bunch for the future.

Car buying should be fun, not a stress. All parties should work together to make this happen. Good luck!
  • What really sets pricing is the auctions ...
    MANHEIM is becoming the new "Galves/Black Book"

MANHEIM is an auction for dealers only. It basically helps to set pricing for trade valves.

Most stores (dealers) have access to Manheim. HAve your dealer show you what your car would sell for at auction.

NO CAR WILL BE IN MINT/EXCELLENT condition.

Manheim uses above average, average and rough

MOST cars fall into average.

GOOD LUCK
  • kats3kats3 Posts: 1
    Werner Mazda in Manchester NH is going to have a 2007 5 door/true red/Touring/auto/moonroof w/6 cd in next week. What can I expect to pay for this car? Is it worth it to just hold out for the 2008? They also said that the financing offers will differ between the 2 years...is this true?
  • ecofunecofun Posts: 23
    There are plenty of automatics around at Boston and NH dealers. You should be able to find this car at several dealers in the area. It's always risky to talk to only one dealer. I would think that you could get this for invoice if not better. Figure that you can knock $1000 off a '08. The car is essentially the same as the '07 model. If you keep the car for 5 years or more, there won't be a wide spread on resale. If you plan on only 2-3 years, difference in resale could be significant. You do the math from here. Good luck.

One thing I noticed shopping for a loaded GT at Werner, they all came with a front air dam. Waste of money for me so I wouldn't deal with them. You may be OK with the Touring model though. I ended up buying from Sentry West in Shrewsbury, MA. Very easy deal and I got exact options I was looking for. Remember you can still service the car at any dealership.
    There are plenty of automatics around at Boston and NH dealers. You should be able to find this car at several dealers in the area

Yes and no. 5-door production numbers were reduced this year due to the body molds being used on the Mazdaspeed3's. Inventory on the 5-doors are slim to none, unless you are open to color.

kats3- The financing deals are different from 07 to 08.
    I would never call this process fun. If you as a buyer do not give your undivided attention to what's been presented, you'll be made a fool of. The amount of effort it takes to insure a fair transaction is utterly fatiguing. Dealers do this for a living and the odds are stacked completely against a buyer who doesn't spend his/her work week sharpening their proverbial sword of car negotiating. The tactics are purely despicable and I will no apologies for making such a strong statement. That is not to say, however that all dealer employees are snivelling vultures. My current salesperson is very pleasant however the managers who rarely show themselves appear to be crooks
    I cannot say I disagree with you. However, there are some that do not work like that.

In my store, it does not pay to work like a crook. With the Internet today, even a little bit of homework goes a long way. There really isn't anything to hide anymore. Plus, if a customer thinks you screwed them, they won't come back. I don't want that.
  • Just purchased this one yesterday:

2007 Mazda 3S Touring Hatchback
    Automatic with Moonroof/CD changer
    $18900 incl destination charges
    Excl taxes and registration fees.

Also took advantage of Mazda offer for 36 mth 0% Financing .
    I tried to get more off by offering to pay cash but did not succeed.

Good price?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,453
    2007 Cosmic Blue Mica Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    Options: Wheel Locks
    Price paid: 24855.50(MSRP+ Doc Fee)
    Terms: Cash
    My selling dealer(Kings Mazda) located the car in Cleveland and transported it by flatbed to Cincinnati at no additional charge.
    Could I have paid less at another dealer? Maybe.
    Do I care? Not one bit. The dealer was a pleasure to work with and I paid what I thought the car was worth. What else matters?
    Besides, I'm having WAY too much fun carving up twisting two lanes and blowing off Mustang GTs and Charger Daytonas at the Stoplight Grand Prix.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Try this on for size -

I just bought a 2008 Mazda3 I touring with the side impact airbags options. Here is the breakdown of what I paid:

According to the purchase papers:
    $16890 for the vehicle itself
    $59.00 tags
    $400.00 taxes

$17349 out the door.

Harrelson Mazda in Charlotte, NC said they would always give you invoice price. They also gave me $4000 for my trade that had 165000 miles and body damage on it. Ended up financing at 1.9% for three months. I think it is a great deal! My younger sister is coming up to get her 2008 GT later on this year. Also they waived the bogus dealer processing fee of $499.50 since my father haggled with them so well. ;)
  • I am talking to an Ohio dealer; the car is 2007 s Sport, options moonroof / 6cd pkg and side curtain bags; MSRP is 19870 (includes 595 delivery). Dealer says there is a 500 rebate, (which I can't seem to confirm anywhere) plus i have S Plan pricing (and the dealer knew I had S Plan pricing before mentioning the 500 "rebate"). This would bring the price down to 18,050 which is 1,820 off of MSRP? Is this a good deal at this point in August? I am wondering if the S Plan pricing is doing anything for me at all, or if I could do better just bargaining to take a 2007 off the dealer's lot. Appreciate any input.
  • Bought this car on 18 Aug 07 in Seaside, CA (Monterey Peninsula) -- in white w/ beige interior. Paid the following:
    Sales price = $16,145.00 ($2000 off the MSRP of $18,145)
    Document prep fee = $55.00
    DMV electronic filing fee = $28.00
    License fee = $170.00
    Calif tire fee =$8.75
    Sales Tax = $1174.50 (CA 7.25%)
    Out-the-door total = $17,581.25
    It was a simple transaction as I had no trade-in (my previous car had been stolen) and paid cash in full. I did decide to add an extended warranty, not included in the above: "Total Care" 6 yr/100K -- initially offered at $1777, then dropped to $1377 when I declined, and then talked down to $1277. Don't really know if that's a good deal or not, but I'm happy with the car and price paid for it, and the purchase process itself at the dealership was fine.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    I'm curious why you opted for the extended warranty for the Mazda3 as it has had a record of good reliability.
  • Got a really good deal from Pierre at Manhattan Auto Group. He was great to deal with and knew plenty about the car even though he's mainly a Ford salesperson. On to the price:

OTD sale price = $22,232.00 ($796 off Invoice). Since I wanted a '07 for 0% APR, but there were virtually none around like I wanted, they gave me a nice price on an '08 and then 1.9 APR won't break anyone's bank.

Car includes a few minor accessories like moon roof wind deflector, rear bumper guard and cargo tray.
  • I'm looking at a 2008 Mazda3 s Sport hatchback automatic. Edmunds quotes invoice as $18,261, but three dealerships now have quoted the invoice as $18,411. Has the invoice price changed recently? Should I be able to negotiate a price lower than the invoice price? Should I expect to pay _anything_ else on top of this besides tax and DMV fees, or can I confidently argue anything else away?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,870

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Hello all,

Was recently quoted $21300 for a 2008 automatic 5-door mazda3s, grand touring, with the 2mc package (Moonroof, 6-CD and Bose Audio) option. This includes freight, but not taxes, tags, etc.

The lease price was $7300 with the one-pay (upfront) option. I am leaning towards the leasing option generally speaking anyway.

Would appreciate input on whether or not this is a good deal or if I can/should bargain for better. I did note that $21300 was only about $65 over invoice for that car and package.

Welcome your input.

Cheers,
    brian
  • pfjepfje Posts: 25
    What do you mean,..."the lease price was $7300 with one-pay (upfront) option."

What is the length of the lease? How many miles per year? Residuals? Money factor?

Thanks.
  • This is a 2008 Mazda3 s Touring hatchback automatic. Final price is $19,217, fees are $252.75. Only includes the rear bumper guard option (invoiced at $40). Should I proceed? Thanks!
  • here are the rest of the details:

- 24 month lease
    - The Residual is 69% of MSRP $15865.17
    - The money factor is .00152.
    - 10,500 miles per year lease.
    - lease changes by 2% residual for the 12k miles per year lease. $8057.
  • filodfilod Posts: 189
    jfritsch - first I thought the 1500 - 2000 off is msrp will be difficult, until I saw someone buying the Mazda 3 Sport for $17,165 (actually by markman post #3200, and thank you too markman).

For the 08, do you think I can offer $2,000 below msrp for a Mazda 3 S Touring Auto?

Curious, how can they go below invoice that much? I was quoted a Civic EX 08 (that I am going to buy when it comes anytime this week) way below the invoice, actually in the range you have been talking about. I get surprises everyday when I see some postings that I thought impossible.

When I saw your postings, I got curious and the Mazda 3 is now in my list. Thank you for the info. It is worth trying right? I will try a $2,000 off msrp. And if they agree, it is now between the 3ST and the civicEX.
  • Invoice price has become more or less a nominal figure over the last 20 years. It can be a fair to miserable indicator of the true cost of a vehicle to a particular dealer irrespective of holdback, etc. (i.e. not all factory to dealer incentives are publicized)

Check out my message 316 in the chevy silverado forum. Do not waste much time walking into dealerships once you know what you want. Separate the jokers (85%) from those serious end of the month within a 100-300+ mile radius of your home via fax or email and work the top 3 or so against one another.

A decent target price on 95% of production vehicles is around 15-20% more than the wholesale price of a 1year old used one. (via kbb,edmunds.com or nada.com) closer to 15 percent at the end of the model year. This would put the target price of a 19000-ish mazda3 hatchback in the 16xxx range. If you find one dealer 100 miles away for lower so much the better. If you're financing for 3-5 years be sure to get that in order as you can lose a lot more here than on pure price. You may have to pay up for a month or two on the 08s depending on model.

Also check out message 9919 on the Honda Pilot forum.

Good luck
    --jjf

jfritsch - first I thought the 1500 - 2000 off is msrp will be difficult, until I saw someone buying the Mazda 3 Sport for $17,165 (actually by markman post #3200, and thank you too markman).

For the 08, do you think I can offer $2,000 below msrp for a Mazda 3 S Touring Auto?

Curious, how can they go below invoice that much? I was quoted a Civic EX 08 (that I am going to buy when it comes anytime this week) way below the invoice, actually in the range you have been talking about. I get surprises everyday when I see some postings that I thought impossible.

When I saw your postings, I got curious and the Mazda 3 is now in my list. Thank you for the info. It is worth trying right? I will try a $2,000 off msrp. And if they agree, it is now between the 3ST and the civicEX.