Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    The car you describe stickers for about $22k, so the quote of $20k sounds like a pretty good deal. In my area (Atlanta) they don't discount GT models very much (if any). I also noticed that Mazda is offering special APRs- 1.9% for 36 months or 4.9% for 60 months.

Two years ago, I was in the same situation- trying to decide between the Mazda3 and Civic. After driving them back to back, the Mazda3 won me over. The handling and power (over the Civic EX) were a big factor. Originally, I was only considering the sedan, but I ended up going with the 5-door and haven't regretted that choice one bit.

The Civic Si Sedan hadn't been introduced yet when I was shopping in 12/05. It's the only Civic that compares with the driving dynamics of the MZ3. If leather is important to you, you can't get an Si with it....just an EX with those dorky 16-inch wheels.

You can't really go wrong with either car. I've owned nine other cars prior to the Mazda and they were all Hondas (including two Acuras). All great cars, but Hondas just aren't much fun to drive anymore.
  • Hello,

This is my first post in the forum. I'm planning to purchase a new 2008 Mazda3 Hatchback Sport S with Manual transmission in Crystal White. The best price I have so far is from a dealer who told me (email) that they would beat $19,000 Out-the-Door (which was a price I got from another dealer). The car is the base model but comes with two accessories: back bumper guard ($50 value??) and wheel locks ($50 value??). i understand that whites cost about $200 more usually. Please let me know what you guys think of the price and also any advice with purchasing this car (haggle more?, ask for accessories??, etc).

Also we're financing it 60months and 4.9%APR.

Thank you in advance.
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    OTD prices aren't very descriptive..to evaluate your deal.

What is the sticker price?

What are the taxes? ($100-$1700 depending on state)

What are all fees? (dealer doc and prep, title etc.)

If other sources (banks, credit unions etc) can match or beat 4.9 percent that isn't worth much from mazda.

good luck
    --jjf
  • I got a offer of 2008 I touring 2.0 auto for 17250 before taxes...I'm going to wait till they get a I touring value stormy blue.what do you think a fair offer is?1700?thanks
  • Two days ago, I bought the car you first described in black, with the optional abs package. My out-the-door price was $16,896, and I had a trade in, so I ended up paying 400 less. I don't have the price breakdown in front of me this very second but I can post that later. I don't know where in the country you're located, but anyone near Lakeland, FL should absolutely check out Lakeland Automall. Ask for Reggie McNeal. He truly played no games and was incredibly fair. Aside from that, I was fielding offers all day and may or may not have been able to get an even better deal than that, but after dealing with Toyota for two months and getting the run around, I ended up in a position where I absolutely needed to buy because my car was all but dead--so I made a decision and drove to Lakeland. DEFINITELY get quotes via the internet, and CALL THEM after the initial quotes, let them know you have better offers, ask if they can beat the others, and request a copy of a purchase order or price breakdown. They'll e-mail you in minutes and you can get the lowest price quickly this way. Good luck!
  • gordonwdgordonwd Posts: 337
    Our 2008.5 5-door GT was built on Feb. 14. Anyone have an idea how long it will take to get to our dealership in the Detroit area?
  • Went to a dealership where I spotted a used '07 (w/ warranty) Mazda3 s Sport Auto with 4000 miles on it, listed for $19,995, only extras on it was a moonroof. I am wondering what I should come at them with for a price. Reading this forum I've seen two guidelines I could go by, being 1) $1500 off the '08 invoice and 2) 15-20% more than the kbb value of an '06.

Seeing what others have gotten for their '08s i was considering low $16,000s, but is this much too low of an offer? I feel insecure, this being my first solo car-buying experience and $4000 seems like a large jump. So, what is it that you think? Also, I saw an ad for an '07, all the same except 7500 miles on it and no moonroof for $15,998. Should I check into that and use it as leverage?

All comment are very much so appreicate, especially since I am on a major time crunch and need to purchase something by this weekend.
  • Red Mazda 3 S, Grand Touring with manual tran.
    Price minus registration and taxes was 20,300
    Comes with Bose/CD/moon, wheel locks and all weather mats. Think msrp is 21,965.

I am very happy with the price and with the overall purchasing process at the dealership on route 9 in Shrewsbury, MA - I won't mention names since I am not sure if I can do that here, but will review the dealership on this site separately. Very easy transaction - no push for add-ons. Overall very satisfied.

Decided over the Civic for a few reasons (some minor, but....)
    1) More fun to drive (hope mgp is still acceptable)
    2) minor - better overall visibility - hard to back Civic up (and I back into garage so I want to see if kids or dog are back there)
    3) Steering wheel on Civic only had two spokes (is that the word) and it just didn't feel as comfy as I'm not a 3 and 9 hands driver.
    4) Better options

I still think that the Civic is a good car - not bashing it at all. Just preferred the 3.

Good luck to all.
  • pciskowskipciskowski Posts: 155
    I can get a "new" 07 Speed3 S with no options (which is what I want) for $21K. Is this a good deal?
  • Black Mica, tried to get my wife to go for the Aurora Blue, but its her car tho I get stuck with another black vehicle upkeep (have a black Tacoma)

Water under the bridge now no matter good deal or not.

3.9% for 60 months
    stick...finally last time I had a stick was 1995!
    moon roof package
    pin stripe (may take off)
    stupid a$$ paint prep
    mats
    2 free oil changes....who hoo...should have asked for 12..lol.

Price with destination charge $17264.32
  • novadernovader Posts: 3
    So, I ended up deciding on a mazda 3 s (hatchback) touring automatic with moonroof/6disc cd changer, 2007 used with 4000 miles on it, in a disgusting red color, but walked out paying $16,500+399admin fee = $16,899 OTD (+ttl), so I was happy despite the red.

The other offers I got from competing dealerships just didn't seem to much compare:

1) new '07 (100mi) silver hatchback sport auto with moon and 6cd= $17,700+499admin fee = $18199 OTD;
    2) new '08 whatever color hatchback sport auto with moon and 6cd = 18500+399 admin fee = $18,899 OTD.

Hope this helps.
  • jjandersjjanders Posts: 17
    $1000 below invoice?!? Hmm....
  • Got a quote for 16,060 for the same car from dealer2 but not in colors my wife wanted and no sun roof. Per the email/quote MSRP 18560, or $2500 off. Dealer 1 internet manager already gave me $2000 off if I purchased one that evening along with the financing. Told them to match it as I didnt care about the sun roof. They did. Emailing/internet sales is great!....Chris
  • prof31prof31 Posts: 2
    I recently bought a Mazda 3 08 Sport automatic. I got a very good price on it and had done my homework to be aware of most dealer fees that I might be charged. I figured tax/title/tag fees were not determined by the dealer. I was charged a $66 fee and told to just pick up my tags when my letter arrived in the mail. When I got to the tax office in GA, I realized that I had been charged a $66 fee for what is an $18 service. The rest ($48) is an "administrative fee" charged by the dealer. This was NOT explained to me when I bought the car. New tags cost me an additional $20. The amount, granted, is not a large one at all but on principle, I feel cheated for having been given the impression that those were the fees charged by the GA tax office. Please read your buyer's order carefully and ask the dealer what the title/tag fee includes explicitly. Don't agree to anything else. This was at Mazda Roswell. I came away a rather happy customer originally but this small scam has really left a bad taste in my mouth.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,359
    Please read your buyer's order carefully and ask the dealer what the title/tag fee includes explicitly. Don't agree to anything else. This was at Mazda Roswell. I came away a rather happy customer originally but this small scam has really left a bad taste in my mouth.

The way to avoid that problem is to negotiate an Out the Door(OTD) price. When I buy a car I determine the price I want to pay for the car(less the reasonable value of my trade, if any), the applicable sales tax, and any registration fees. I tell the salesperson that I am only interested in an OTD price. That way there are no surprises. The only number on the sales contract I care amount is the amount I will have to write the check for- the bottom line OTD figure.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Look up the wholesale price used of the vehicle with 14000 miles on it on kbb.com and edmunds.com. Iff it is a true low mi (200) new 07 try to get it within 1000 or so of that price. Also get 10 bids via internet on the 08 towards the end of the month if possible and see what the best picture is on the 08 for comparison.

--jjf

I can get a "new" 07 Speed3 S with no options (which is what I want) for $21K. Is this a good deal?
    Jesus, $48 will barely get you thru a week or so of gasolene. Many folks may get taken for $300-500 for these "fees". $48 is 0.28% of a 17000 purchase, and if you financed and didn't agressively pursue different options from credit unions etc you may have left $500-1500 there over 5 years.

If you didn't get at least $2000 or so off the msrp, exclusive of financing you possibly left $300 or so there too.

Regardless, letting $48 spoil your day is downright dumb. It is among the more reasonable fees dealers charge. Lifes too short.

Enjoy the car man!
    --jjf

recently bought a Mazda 3 08 Sport automatic. I got a very good price on it and had done my homework to be aware of most dealer fees that I might be charged. I figured tax/title/tag fees were not determined by the dealer. I was charged a $66 fee and told to just pick up my tags when my letter arrived in the mail. When I got to the tax office in GA, I realized that I had been charged a $66 fee for what is an $18 service. The rest ($48) is an "administrative fee" charged by the dealer. This was NOT explained to me when I bought the car. New tags cost me an additional $20. The amount, granted, is not a large one at all but on principle, I feel cheated for having been given the impression that those were the fees charged by the GA tax office. Please read your buyer's order carefully and ask the dealer what the title/tag fee includes explicitly. Don't agree to anything else. This was at Mazda Roswell. I came away a rather happy customer originally but this small scam has really left a bad taste in my mouth.
  • mcmaxmcmax Posts: 14
    Hi. I've just been quoted a price of $16,305 (including dest. fees) for a new 2008 Mazda3 I Touring manual, with moonroof, side airbags and upgraded CD. MSRP is $18,175. Do you think that's a good deal?
  • travis64travis64 Posts: 12
    i got a offer for i touring value 2008.5 stormy blue for 17233 with tax and fees it is 18900

is this bad?
  • jrkflajrkfla Posts: 21
    getting a 5 door, not quite sure of model yet. For on 08, where are these deals happending? is it at invoice? below invoice? was looking at honda and was getting offers for new 08 accords at or very near invoice and this car is not as popular.

please advise???? thanks
    Average deal on a 5 door is about 2200-2500 off msrp. Get bids via internet from 7-10 dealers last week of the month. Tell them you are getting 10 bids and will buy before eom. Work the top 3 or so down against one another shooting for as close to 3000 off as you can the last 3-5 days. The economy is flat. Great deals are being made on the Nissan versa sedan and hatchback sl (highest model) the autos being about 14700. or less.

Good luck
    --jjf
    Ok paid for I touring value today 17150 plus tax=out the door 18705

How did I do?
    If that was a $20000+ msrp automatic, and dealer fees were minimal you did peachy.

--jjf
    Yea I think sticker was 18495 plus tax is over 20k

I got 18705 total with taxes

They first wanted over 19 out the door
  • <Ok paid for I touring value today 17150 plus tax=out the door 18705<

MT or AT? Sunroof or any other options?
    Auto...no options
  • I just bought an iTouring with Value Package for $17,139 (drive out $18,579) in Houston area. According to my ConsumerReports data sheet, that worked out to $100 under Dealer Invoice. I felt pretty good about that deal. :D
  • aiko1aiko1 Posts: 1
    After getting quotes from many dealers in the bay area, we negotiated the dealer down to $15,800 plus tax+licence for our Mazda3 iTouring with manual trans, ABS, airbags, doorguards, floormats...Then when we went to go talk to the credit manager, turns out that my wife went to high school with the guy! He gave us another $300 off the price and got us qualified for a better intrest rate than we were qualified for. Came out to just about $17000 OTD.
    BTW, don't pay for the destination fees or any other administration fees the dealership may charge...it's all B.S. and goes to the pockets of the dealer. Purchased in Oakland, CA 11/08
  • macmamamacmama Posts: 2
    Just got an OTD quote for $22,453 for an automatic with leather, moonroof, and 6-disc Bose sound system. Is this a fair price? This is from a Daytona Beach dealer. Has anyone gotten a better deal? If so, where from? We are willing to drive to another area to get a good price.
  • mea7713mea7713 Posts: 1
    Yesterday paid $16,600 for the iTouring Value Package in Orange County CA.