Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    edited June 2010
    I am in the field of finance.

I will refrain from a retaliation on choice professions.....

and it is MY personal opinion that lease is a bad deal for consumers. If you don't like it, you don't have to read or respond to my post, but don't go insulting my intelligence because you feel otherwise. That makes you ignorant, not me

You are entitled to your opinion and no one here is trying to change it. Unfortunately, you do not have all the facts about leasing from a customer or dealer stand point and you are claiming you do. That is ignorance.

You dislike leasing because it is a "bad investment". I have news for you, buying a car in general is a bad investment because it is a depreciating asset. All financial experts will tell you buying a pre-owned quality car is the best way to minimize your financial exposure. If you have ever purchased a new car, you have made a bad investment.

No need to lecture me on finance. I listen to Dave Ramsey and have read all his books. :shades:
  • sonnyrockersonnyrocker Posts: 126
    edited June 2010
    "You dislike leasing because it is a "bad investment". I have news for you, buying a car in general is a bad investment because it is a depreciating asset. All financial experts will tell you buying a pre-owned quality car is the best way to minimize your financial exposure. If you have ever purchased a new car, you have made a bad investment. "
    Not true, you forgot the risk factors. With pre-owned cars, you don't know if it is quality or not and you don't have warranty. and what you pay for a pre-owned car from a dealer's lot is over-valued. If anyone is to buy a pre-owned, they should buy it from the car owner instead of a dealer.
    You keep saying you know what you are talking about, but you don't, at least you are not forthcoming with the facts until I pointed it out, that is deceptive.

" I have news for you, buying a car in general is a bad investment because it is a depreciating asset"
    and you are wrong about that as well. In America, unless you live in NY or Chicago or other big cities, you NEED to have a car to get where you are going, often times you are going to work. So, buying a car is more than just an investment, it is a necessity.
    edited June 2010
    Not true, you forgot the risk factors. With pre-owned cars, you don't know if it is quality or not and you don't have warranty. and what you pay for a pre-owned car from a dealer's lot is over-valued. If anyone is to buy a pre-owned, they should buy it from the car owner instead of a dealer.

So, buying from a stranger who does not have to issue a safety report, inspect the car or offer a warranty is not a risk? Most states mandate dealers warranty a pre-owned car for around 60 days or 3,000 miles.

You keep saying you know what you are talking about, but you don't, at least you are not forthcoming with the facts until I pointed it out, that is deceptive.

Such as?
    "So, buying from a stranger who does not have to issue a safety report, inspect the car or offer a warranty is not a risk? Most states mandate dealers warranty a pre-owned car for around 60 days or 3,000 miles."
    I didn't say that it is not a risk. I said buying "pre-owned" vehicles is a risk in itself, regardless who you are buying it from. But choosing between buying it from a dealer or an owner, I would buy it from an owner, preferably with somebody you know.

"Such as?"
    You failed to mention that the selling price is based on MSRP as the reference point for leases. You failed to mention that you are not making more money with lease but when you can sell the same car 3 times, yes, you are making more money.
    edited June 2010
    You failed to mention that the selling price is based on MSRP as the reference point for leases.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but, it is the customers right and responsibility to negotiate any type of transaction, including leases. The advertised lease of $199/mo for the 2010 Mazda3 i Sport is calculated on a selling price a couple hundred dollars over invoice. I bet you did not know that.

You failed to mention that you are not making more money with lease but when you can sell the same car 3 times, yes, you are making more money.

You are rambling and making no sense what-so-ever. I'm sorry, but, I don't feel like having a conversation about nonsense. :sick:

Let's get back to talking about those who are actually buying or leasing Mazda3's. That's what I'm interested in. :shades:
    and aviboy, as a dealer, I like how you conveniently putting it together...let's see....leasing is a good deal...buying pre-owned vehicles from dealers is a good deal too....
    we lease from the dealer and we give our cars back to the dealers so you can turn around and sell them as pre-owned....

Very clever....
    "You are rambling and making no sense what-so-ever. I'm sorry, but, I don't feel like having a conversation about nonsense. "
    and you call yourself a dealer and don't know what I am talking about? Oh wait, of course you don't, why would a dealer admits that he is ripping you off?
    You are not agreeing that dealers have the potential to sell the same car 3 times? Lease...and then as pre-owned...and then as outright used vehicle when the same car is brought back in for trade-in?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,985
    Let's get back to Mazda 3 Price Paid...

(this isn't up for debate....)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• raduderadude Posts: 50
    Aviboy,

When a vehicle is returned after the lease who does the inspection? Is it the dealer or a 3rd party inspection company?
    edited June 2010
    When a vehicle is returned after the lease who does the inspection? Is it the dealer or a 3rd party inspection company?

I can only speak for Mazda and they have a 3rd party company do the inspection. It's usually a couple weeks before your lease is due back.
    Thank you!!
    Can the final inspection bill be disputed with Mazda?

I have leased many other brands before and this is the first time I've gotten an excess wear and tear bill after a lease return, even though the car was under mileage and in very good shape (I have returned vehicles in worse shape before without being charged for wear and tear). Is it a Mazda thing, do they nickel and dime their lease returns?

Thanks
    radude-

It is not Mazda who conducted the inspection, so it may be tough to dispute. Do you have a copy of the condition report? Is the car still at the dealer you returned the car to?

Mazda is usually pretty forgiving when it comes to lease returns. You may have had a picky inspector look at your car.
    I have a copy of the report and it says that 2 alloy wheels need to be replaced at $500 (!) a piece. The wheals had some curb rash on them but I did not expect they would need to be replaced.

I called MAZDA earlier then they told me to call the inspection company. Then I was told to call the dealership to find out if the car is still there. Unfortunately it's not.

I was hoping to get the wheels on my own (which I can do for less than $200 a piece), but since the vehicle is no longer at the dealer, I think I'm pretty much SOL...

Anything else I can do?
    Sorry, but that's messed up. Curb rash is normal wear and tear as far as I am concerned. I will add that to my "Reasons why I will never lease" list....
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    A reporter for a major magazine is looking for consumers who recently purchased a new car and to talk about their bargaining experience. If you are interested in speaking to the reporter, please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by June 14.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Edmunds.com
    Corporate Communications

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You can get wheels repaired for around $100 per wheel.

Do you have the guide in which it states what normal wear and tear is?

To be honest, I don't know if there is anything you can do. Giving the inspection company an ear full might help. Hopefully you get a forgiving analyst on the phone to help you out.
    Thanks aviboy,

I'll try that.
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Posts: 172
    I had a similar issue with a lease return... you will need to negotiate with the leasing company once they send you a final bill, not the inspection company. The bank I leased with sent me some outrageous wear and tear charge, which they immediately dismissed when I called and complained. They also cut the termination fee in half after some negotiation. They can send you a bill that says whatever they want... what they get from you is an entirely different matter....
  • Is it a 4-door or 5-door?
  • timbergatimberga Posts: 4
    edited June 2010
    Hey Everyone,

I am in the market to buy a NEW Graphite Mazda 3 GT hatchback with manual transmission with the following upgrades:

- tech package
    - moonroof / sound package
    - rear aero flares
    - front air dam
    - compass & auto dimming w/ homelink

Dealer has quoted me a sales price of $23,200 (not including taxes/title/etc.). Is this good? Can I talk them down further? I feel like I might be able to get lower but don't want to screw up the deal. Any advice is appreciated. I will be doing the 0% financing.
  • fuzzynipsfuzzynips Posts: 37
    The invoice price of this vehicle with $195 regional advertising fees included is $25,007 so you're already $1,800 below this number. I'm not too familiar with the pricing on manual transmission cars but I would say that's a great number.

With that said, it certainly never hurts to try and go lower. It's late in the model year and even though selection is beginning to dwindle, unless you told them you need a car now, you're still in control. You're only $200 away from $23,000 so tell them you had originally budgeted for that number and you have a hard time going over that due to the economy. If they're unwilling to budge, look at the accessories and pick out some that interest you. See if you can get them to throw in all-weather floor mats, wheel locks, rear cargo net/tray, or even something as little as a bottle of touch-up paint.
  • epb999epb999 Posts: 9
    Hi all -- I have a few questions for anyone who knows or would like to speculate:

(1) What's the FICO cutoff to get the 0% financing? (Does the dealer have some wiggle-room? If my score doesn't make the cutoff, does having a cosigner or guarantor with a score above the cutoff help?)

(2) Will the 0% financing special continue through July (or August)?

(3) With leases (that I've seen), the sales tax is added on to the monthly payment. So if you move to a new state mid-lease, the monthly tax will change to reflect the tax in the new state. Is it the same way with financing? Can it be?

Thanks!
  • timbergatimberga Posts: 4
    The final sales price of the car was $22,800.....adding in some of the other stuff they WOULD NOT budge on based on the haggled sales price (Tag/Title/Dealer Service) I ended at $24,495 OTD (tax included) after $500 rebate. This is the 2nd car I've owned and the 1st car I've purchased myself. I think I did well overall....it was just a long and annoying process.
    edited June 2010
    epb999-

Let me see if I can help you here....

(1) What's the FICO cutoff to get the 0% financing? (Does the dealer have some wiggle-room? If my score doesn't make the cutoff, does having a cosigner or guarantor with a score above the cutoff help?)

The FICO score required to get the 0% financing is 680 Transunion. If it is lower then 680 Transunion, sometimes they will check Equifax to see if they are higher. No one uses Experian.

A co-signer will help but only if they live at the same address. If it is a family member or friend at a different address, Chase will not allow it.

Mazda uses Chase as their financial captive, so dealers really have no say in negotiating rate unless they can come up with documentation the analyst requests to make exceptions. That is only if the analyst is willing to make an exception.

(2) Will the 0% financing special continue through July (or August)?

We have no idea. I think it will continue through at least July, but, in all honesty, Mazda does not announce program details until the new fiscal month has started.

(3) With leases (that I've seen), the sales tax is added on to the monthly payment. So if you move to a new state mid-lease, the monthly tax will change to reflect the tax in the new state. Is it the same way with financing? Can it be?

Usually not. The taxes will stay the same as when you signed the contract whether it is a lease or finance.
  • epb999epb999 Posts: 9
    Thanks so much, aviboy! That is extremely helpful.
  • lazyklazyk Posts: 6
    has anyone done this - spoken to this press person? What do they ask?

I bought one May 31st and am curious as to what to expect (had it been June 14th still that is).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    I have actually done it myself!
    These press requests come from journalists who write for different publications - some magazine, some newspapers. So, of course the questions will vary based on the focus of their story. A lot of times, it seems the bulk of the "story" is already there - let's pretend the story focus is based on the stats that the Mazda3 has outsold its main competitors (<--totally made-up example). While that's interesting, the story makes a more compelling read if recent buyers of the Mazda3 talk about why they chose it over the competition - features? price? warranty? dealership experience?

Our PR department always screens requests & works with credible journalists, and I've only heard back from members saying they've had a positive experience.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    Did you get all the accessories you wanted (Air Dam, Rear Aero Flares/Skirt & Auto-Dimming Mirror w/ Homelink) for that price??? If so, it sounds like you got a great deal at $24,495 OTD!

The GT 5-door with Tech Pkg, Bose/Moonroof Pkg and the three items mentioned above lists for $26,860. Edmunds TMV is shown at $24,826 and TrueCar.com shows the Lowest Certified Price at $24,319. Even after deducting the $500 Loyalty Bonus, the lowest price is $23,819 plus TTT....and you did better than that!

Just out of curiosity, what was the total figure prior to tax, tag and title fees?

I haven't seen a 2010 model with the Front Air Dam OR the Rear Aero Flares but they look great in the photos...are you happy with how they look?

Did you get the BLACK or DUNE (beige) interior? Graphite models can have either, but it looks like 95% have the BLACK. I was surprised when I first saw a Graphite s 5-door Sport with the DUNE cloth seats and it seemed like an unusual combination...I'm just curious... :)