Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hwang124hwang124 Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    I just got a potential offer for the 2012 Mazda 3 iTouring with Skyactiv for $19,700 out the door price. Is this a fair deal?

It's just the sedan, automatic transmission, nothing else fancy added on. The out the door price includes tax, tags, and license/registration. This is a deal in MD.
  • 19,400 is for 5 door automatic with no Options I touring. That isn't out the door either. I am in Oklahoma. But I have started looking out of state and saw in Texas these cars sell for 18,900. I think since we have 3 Mazda dealers here in OK the prices remain close and competitive.
  • I just got a new 2012 Skyactiv 4 DR iGT. I put 600$ and after paying fees am paying 260per month for 36m 12k. Good deal? Other dealers were 10-40 dollars more expensive per month
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    new 2012 Skyactiv 4 DR iGT. I put 600$ and after paying fees am paying 260per month for 36m 12k. Good deal?
    Fees = $?
    Automatic / Manual
    Other Options?
  • I paid $14,800 for a 2012 Mazda3 i Sport with a manual transmission back near the end of December.

For the people asking about how to get a decent price: Just have several dealers compete for your money, and let them all know that they are competing against several dealers. Just keep throwing out the lowest quoted number to each dealer and they will try to undercut each other. Eventually you'll end up with one lowest bid, at that point go to the dealer and buy your car.

Though taking the lowest price isn't always the best deal. See what type of freebies the dealer throws in, such as free oil changes, inspections, car washes, etc. Be sure to factor that into your decision.
  • johntenjohnten Posts: 13
    Do you guys think Mazda will do a 0% 90 days deferred payment special in February or March on the Mazda3? I'm still in the market or a new car, would like to get a new Mazda3, but want to pay as little as possible. I'm willing to wait a month or 2.
  • Im in the market for purchasing a Mazada 3 vehicle - looking for the best deal in New Jersey with the best finance options - i would prefer 0/0 financing if possible.
    Any ideas - has anyone purchased a Mazada 3 recently in NJ and where from. Any new info is much appreciated.
  • 2012 Mazda3 i touring hatchback, automatic, $19,940 exclude tax and plate. $8000 down, 0 APR for 60 month. no other options. New York long island area. Is it a good deal? I'm not in a hurry to buy so please share any info. Thank you
  • woochiferwoochifer Posts: 32
    edited January 2012
    Looks like the base prices on the Skyactiv Mazda3 models have gone up by about $350. I recently bought a Mazda 3i Touring AT. MSRP was $21,995 and the offer was $20,300, after including a $500 customer loyalty incentive. The financing deal was 1.9% with $0 down and no payments for 90 days. Those offers ended on January 3. Looks like the new financing program is the same, except without the 90 day no payment.

I just checked the dealer inventory, and the MSRP on the exact same model and option package has increased to $22,345. I gotta wonder if the stickers on all of the cars already sitting on the dealer lots got swapped out with the new MSRP, or if this is just something that pops up when doing an online inventory check.
  • "2012 Mazda3 i touring hatchback, automatic, $19,940 exclude tax and plate. $8000 down, 0 APR for 60 month. no other options. New York long island area. Is it a good deal? I'm not in a hurry to buy so please share any info. Thank you "

Looks good after you factor in the finance charges, or lack thereof in your case. At least in my area, the Mazda3 does not get the 0% APR, only the Mazda6, CX-7, and CX-9.

That offer looks like the dealer is taking $1,000 off MSRP, depending on the actual sticker price (as mentioned in my post, Mazda just raised the posted MSRP on the 3i Touring models by $350 over the last week). If that particular car has been sitting on the lot for a while (and the actual cost is based on the previous invoice price), you might have a little bit more leeway to further negotiate the price down.
  • My friend is close to buying a 2012 Mazda3 i Grand Touring hatchback with the Tech Package. The dealer has offered $23K and is including the rear bumper guards. The dealer will sell my friend the all-weather mats and fog lights at cost (these are not added in). No manual option in iGT or he would have taken it and saved the money. This is all before taxes/fees.

This seems like a very good price - below invoice.

He is thinking of the extending the bumper to bumper warranty to 8/100K for $1800.00.

I'm not a big fan of extended warranties esp. since the 3 is a reliable vehicle. And the markup on extended warranties is so great.

What do you think of the price? And esp. the extended warranty price?
    He is thinking of the extending the bumper to bumper warranty to 8/100K for $1800.00. I'm not a big fan of extended warranties esp. since the 3 is a reliable vehicle. And the markup on extended warranties is so great.

I agree with you and I would forego the extended warranty.
  • djens1djens1 Posts: 2
    I was initially planning on buying used, but with the current deal from Mazda for 0% financing for 60 mo and 750 cash, a new 2011 mazda3 seems to be the best value. There is currently a 3i Sport (5m) in my area with a tag on the dealer's webpage for $17.5k, but the car is also posted on autotrader/cars.com/etc. for $15,996. A few other dealers in the area still have 2011 models, but this is the only manual I've found, and manual is my preference.

Does anyone have experience, advice with negotiating the price in this situation, or any estimates of what I should expect to pay? I'm not in a rush to buy either, but would like to take advantage of the 0% if I can get a good price.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    Are you a 20-something who recently bought a new car or who is right now in the market for a new car? A reporter is looking to talk with young Americans to see what they are looking for in their next new vehicle. Please contact pr@edmunds.com with contact information and a brief description of your experience by Friday, January 20, 2012.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I would think you can go a lot lower than $17.5k on a 2011 3i Sport, considering that the MSRP on a brand new 2012 3i Sport is only $17.6k. The 2011 models though do qualify for the 0% financing deals. The current offer for 2012 models is 1.9%.
  • anyone bought a Mazda 3 recently using the Costco buying program?

I have to go in to get the price - sounds like it comes with all the incentives after using the invoice price. not sure if they would give the loyalty cash to someone who isn't a current mazda owner.

I just hate getting a price and running with it to do better, but I can't help myself.
  • uazuaz Posts: 3
    Has anybody heard of any unpublished fees that a dealer can charge on the top of the cost of the car for alowing the custumer to finance through the manufacturer? For example, the dealer told me that in order for me to buy a new car (Mazda3) using the manufacturer's advertized deal of the month 0.9% rate, I have to pay extra 250$ or go to a bank and apply for a loan. This did not sound honest to me. Please let me know your thoughts! I need to be able to rate the dealer fairly. Strangely, they forgot to include the fee on the final paperwork and I never had to pay it after all.
    edited March 2012
    I have to pay extra 250$ or go to a bank and apply for a loan. This did not sound honest to me. ... Strangely, they forgot to include the fee on the final paperwork and I never had to pay it after all.
    You're right, that sounds like hokum. It's good that it was left off the paperwork but it makes one wonder what were they thinking and how can you trust them in the future when they say something else strange?
  • I was at Mazda today to get my "Costco" quote on a Mazda 3, hatch back - i-touring. The sales woman was very professional and up front that if I wanted to take advantage of their .09% 36 mo. financing - their would be a $250 increase in the price.

She said if I were to pay cash or arrange for my own financing I could reduce the price by $250. I didn't ask for an explanation, but learned I could buy the car with zero down and finance the entire car at that rate.

The quote for the car was $19,640 plus tax and title - not bad considering the loan rate. I think I can work this a bit more come end of the month - just not sure if I can still get the low financing as well.
  • uazuaz Posts: 3
    Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I still think that the proper thing to do is advertize the 250$ "fee" upfront (on Mazda.com). This just does not seam to be the right way to do business. Also, the internet quote I got from non-participating dealers (in the Costco program) on a hatchback i touring skyactive with manual was about 18,600 which is better than what participating dealers offered - 100 below invoce. I wonder if costco deals are worth it or just a way to drag costumers in.
  • gman4911gman4911 Posts: 43
    edited March 2012
    My experience with the wholesale club programs is that you can do better on your own. As usual, YMMV.
  • I agree that you can do better than the costco price - but you'll have to earn it and it's not for the timid. If you've been around the block more than once buying a new car and you like to haggle, then you know there are all kinds of tricks sales people will use to lure you into the dealership only to find an unexpected advertising fees, or an excessive doc prep fee or maybe the car you wanted has seat fabric protector and they just can't give it away - even after asking for the OTD price - some dealers will say and do anything to get you to walk from one dealer to another.

with that said, there's value in having someone present you a price without the gamesmanship
  • sparker4sparker4 Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a new 2011 Mazda3 S Sport 5d and a Mazda3 i Touring 4d.

The five door is listed at $18,890, which is $2,800 off of the MSRP ($21,690). The four door is listed at about $17,000 which is about $3,000 off of the MSRP (19,995). I will probably be able to get another $500 off on each as a first time car buyer so that would put the five door at $18,390, and the four door at $16,500.

I expect a pretty good discount for buying last year's model, and these seem good. But I'm wondering if there's still room to push on the dealer. At this point they have 5 new 2011 Mazda3's, so it seems to me that they have been sitting on them for quite sometime and are lucky for me to even be looking at them (it is almost the end of March!). I've also heard that the dealer doesn't give anything up from their bottom line with these types of incentives because Mazda is really covering the cost.

The five door is my preference because of 2.5L engine, I'd like to pay at or under $17,000 for it (before trade-in: 2001 Nissan Altima w/ 198,000 miles - offered $1,500 for it). Is that a completely unrealistic number?
    Go for it! $17K is not unrealistic. Just remember, it's up for negotiation and therefore you may have to listen to some "unrealistic" salesman talk.

The big factor, of course, is depreciation which happens primarily in the first year in the range of 20% to 30%. Check out Edmunds' / New Cars / True Cost to Own function for different models and years. You'll see the Mazda3 2012 hatchback depreciation in the first year is around $5K.

Aiming at $17K means you are asking for about a 20% discount. With your $1500 trade-in it equals $15.5K.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • got a quote via the internet today from a dealer in the Bay Area for 18,950 + tax and title

not bad - even said I'd get the .09% financing for 36 mo. with my good credit.

just have to get over the stress of signing on the dotted line and enslaving myself for the comfort of driving a new automobile
  • chickraechickrae Posts: 44
    Bought my 2012 Mazda 3 touring w/skyactiv. MSRP was 20,775 which included satellite radio antenna $430. I paid 20,035. They gave me 6,200 trade in. It's all a numbers game. Supposedly I got a Costco discount, but that remains to be seen. They didn't even ask for my Costco card. I am now wondering if I paid tax on the total price of the car when they were suppose to subtract my trade in and then add tax. I will have to get my contract out and look. I had checked another dealership and the car was more. I am very happy with my car even though I thought I would never get out of that place....4 hours later...
  • steveaspesisteveaspesi Posts: 46
    you know, if I remember correctly, Costco guarantees their price and I know for a fact that the Costco price for that car in the Bay Area was allot lower than what you paid.

it might be hard to figure it all out with the trade in factoring into the deal - but if I were you, I'd get the Costco Price from another dealer and compare.
    might be worth a grand to you.
  • crw7096crw7096 Posts: 5
    I would like some input on where I should begin as to negotiating on a new Mazda3. I am looking at a 2012 Mazda3 S Grand Touring 6-speed manual. The MSRP is $25,095. The dealer has it on "special" for $23,995. Edmunds TMV is $23,941, basically spitting distance of the special price. My question is, how likely will the dealer be to drop the price another $500 since I currently own a 2008 Mazda3 and there is a loyalty incentive? After reading the fine print on the loyalty, it says that dealers have the right to refuse to combine it with "private" offers. Invoice is $23,442 and I would like to get as close to that number as possible. This is my first Mazda purchase on my own, however my family has purchased 3 Mazdas from the dealership with the vehicle I want. Think I have much wiggle room as for price?

Also, are there any other incentives currently out there? I plan to take advantage of the 0.9% financing for 36 months as well as trade in my current 2008 Mazda3 S Sport with 70,000 miles.

I live in the DFW area but the dealer is in East Texas. I have looked for similar vehicles in the DFW area but no manual GT sedans are out there.

Any help is appreciated!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    2012 Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4-door - $25,095
    6-speed Manual
    Tech Pkg

Here are the price quotes from three reputable sites-

KBB- $23,067 Fair Purchase Price (includes $500 Loyalty)

TrueCar.com- $22,534 Target Price (includes $500 Loyalty)

Edmunds TMV- $23,441 with $500 Loyalty Cash

I searched for all the cars meeting your specs within a 250-mile radius of Dallas, TX and, as you've already realized, they are few and far between!
    What color(s) are you considering? Dolphin Gray is your best bet with three different dealers to choose from; I also found one each of Velocity Red, Liquid Silver, and Indigo Lights. All have Black interior except the Indigo.
    There are also three in the San Antonio area- one each- Dolphin Gray, Graphite and Liquid Silver.

If I were you, I would request a quote on every single car that meets my specs (all the Dolphin Gray ones, for instance....or Dolphin Gray and Liquid Silver, if you'll take either). Request that they respond by email so you'll have a hard copy of every quote.

At $23,495 ($23,995 minus $500 Loyalty Cash), it wouldn't be a bad deal...but I think you can get it down to at least $23,000. If you run across ANY Mazda dealer who refuses to apply the $500 Loyalty Incentive, turn and walk back out the door!!! No EXCEPTIONS!!! Tell them to kiss your @ss...or get me on the phone and I'll be more than happy to verbally eviscerate them for you!!!

You also need to make sure you're getting as fair deal on your trade-in! So many people will haggle to the death to save $3000 off sticker price, only to get screwed out of $2000 on their trade-in! Check KBB.com and Edmunds to determine what yours is worth. Print out those valuations and take them to the dealer if they are offering you significantly less- ask them to explain! If you have a Carmax or similar nearby, drop in and find out how much they will pay for your trade-in, just for perspective if nothing else.

If you qualify for the 0.9% APR for 36 months, DEFINITELY take advantage of it! That will save you thousands over a regular APR loan.

Finally, DON'T let your guard down after you have finished negotiating the purchase price and/or trade-in amount. The last stop will be the in the Finance Office and they are the sneakiest SOBs of all! They'll try to add extras you don't want or need (rust proofing, fabric protection, VIN etching, just to name a few) and they will also push Extended Warranties very strongly- just say NO! They only push these items because they are HUGELY PROFITABLE- and often not worth the paper they're written on for the buyer!

Good luck, let me know how it goes and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
  • perma88perma88 Posts: 22
    what is the lowest price some of you think that i could get a 2012 i-touring 4dr sedan for with incentives (if any), 1st time buyer with no trade in. will travel tri-state in NJ, southeast PA and DE area.