Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sharkie21sharkie21 Posts: 14
    I like the blue lights on the odometer. Also the extra power. According to their site the fuel economy is 22/29 vs 23/30 for the i touring. also the fees of 300 was made up. What fees are there and how do I figure out it's costs?
  • google 'dmv fee calculator' to see the dmv fees for your state. The dealers I went to in CA charged about 50-60 bucks over that, but it wasnt that big of a deal to me. Just watch out for huge increases over that price.
    So I googled fees on DMV. I see the following: ad valorem tax ($290), title ($18), registration($20), and tags ($20). Are there any fees that I am missing?

So when I buy a new car will I pay all these fees as well and not need to pay the tax commissioner? How does it work?

Thanks.
  • homeagain3homeagain3 Posts: 10
    Okay, I paid $22167 before TTL.

The above car in Copper Red Mica with ...

Bose/moonroof package
    Auto Dim mirror with Compass
    Rear Spoiler
    Remote Start
    Sirius Satellite Radio with 6 month free subscription
  • homeagain3homeagain3 Posts: 10
    I guess Maine is more willing to sell than VA.

Edmonds shows the invoice for the S Grand Touring AT as $19875 plus $650 destination, so LauraDavid's price was about $1000 below invoice. I wish I could have found that deal!

I had the invoice price for this vehicle with all of the options I wanted at $22757. I was able to get it last week for $22167. Not as amazing as LauraDavid's but still $2000 less than the local dealer wanted for the same car.

There was one deal in particular that helped me out in making an offer, so thanks for everyone who is willing to post, so that they can help others get a better deal.
  • rnsmelrnsmel Posts: 14
    Hey Everyone!

I am interested in purchasing a Mazda 3 Sedan i touring value model, standard no options.
    I've been communicating with 3 different dealerships in my area, 2 of which responded with these totals which supposedly includes tax, title, and license.

Everett, WA - $21617.69
    Kirkland, WA - $19,346.70

The guy in Kirkland was nice enough to ask me if the price worked for me. Honestly, it is way beyond my budget.

I have a trade-in (2005 Ford Escape, 4WD XLT) and still owe about 18,000 on it. I'm looking for a $350.00 or less monthly payment with hopefully, a 5.99% interest rate with the credit union I currently have my loan with.

I'm new dealing with car sales people I definitely want to get the price lowered but I'm not sure how to do it. Any advice would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Mel
    I keep seeing people refer to buying a mazda3 2008.5. How do I know if I'm getting a 2008.5 or 2008 and what is the difference? Everytime I google it refers to the mazda3speed.

Thanks.
  • x5savx5sav Posts: 44
    The easiest difference is the 2008.5 radio system can play a MP3 CD. You just look for the letters "MP3" right next to the CD slot.
  • sladzinssladzins Posts: 2
    Another way is via the inventory search on the Mazda USA site. Non-2008.5 models are listed under separate "Early 2008 production" subcategories.
  • It also doesn't look like a great deal. I am getting offers for a 3 Sedan i TVE w/Auto of around 15,700. This is not OTD and doesn't include tax, etc., but no way that would rise over 19K. The price of the car, which you should have seen by now, is probably about 17,500.
    The first thing you should do is treat the financing, monthly payment, new purchase, and trade-in as separate items. When you roll them together you may confused. Get your financing pre-approved, and be aware that the $350 monthly payment you want over 60 mo at 6% w/ 0 down is an 18,100 OTD price.

I have to say I think you are going to have trouble with the trade-in. There are a lot of SUVs coming in for trade. Don't know if 18K for an Escape is feasible. If it's not, the dealer may tell you they'll pay off the loan but the trade-off is an even worse price on the Mazda3.

If the prices you are getting are too high, say so, politely. Also ask for a breakdown of where the total numbers are coming from. If they won't provide it, walk away. If they do provide it, challenge anything that doesn't look legit. This will also expose the sell price of the vehicle. You should be able to push it downward. In terms of tactics I would basically tell the high guy he's the high guy, and you aren't even inclined to take the low guy's offer, and see if the high guy counters.
    Thank you for your response. I haven't told the dealer that I have a trade in yet. I was hoping to get at least 10,000 for it since there are some cosmetic flaws I never got fixed. I emailed the dealer with your suggestion on the breakdown and is awaiting a response. Thanks again for your help!
    Okay the dealership in Everett responded..

"Melissa, the price last quote by my partner was off a bit!!
    the total is $19083.58

car price is $17338 plus 1543.08 tax, $152.50 license and title transfer fee, and $50.00 doc fee.

please call me today... for an appt."

The fees are pretty close to accurate, now I just have to work on getting the car price lowered. I thought it seemed pretty fishy with the first quote because this dealership came with the lowest car quote of the 3. Over $4000.00 for tax and fees..lol

I still haven't talked about my trade in though. When is a good time to mention the trade-in?...before we set a price or after?
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    A decent price on a 18000 mazda3 i touring value auto is about 16000 or less. Perhaps around that with low financing. To keep things simple, look up the wholesale value of your escape on nada.com and kbb.com. If it has dents and such and is an 06 with average miles I doubt it wholesales for more than 9000 in nada fair condition.

You may be lucky to get that. If you owe 18000 on it you are 9000 under water? If I'm reading this correctly How did you do this? I don't know if they will let you finance the mazda and 9000 additonal for favorable rates.

Good luck
    --jjf

Okay the dealership in Everett responded..

"Melissa, the price last quote by my partner was off a bit!!
    the total is $19083.58

car price is $17338 plus 1543.08 tax, $152.50 license and title transfer fee, and $50.00 doc fee.

please call me today... for an appt."

The fees are pretty close to accurate, now I just have to work on getting the car price lowered. I thought it seemed pretty fishy with the first quote because this dealership came with the lowest car quote of the 3. Over $4000.00 for tax and fees..lol

I still haven't talked about my trade in though. When is a good time to mention the trade-in?...before we set a price or after?
    Hey thanks for your response!

I bought the Escape brand new, I got into a loan that was beyond my budget, I was stupid and wasn't thinking straight.
    I don't understand why the car value dropped so much since I bought it in 2005.
    Since then the car does have cosmetic damages to the bumper from an accident that I never fixed and the windshield needs to be replaced. Other than that the paint is still shiny like new and the interior is still considered good and clean.

I financed the Escape for around $32,000 (>,<) with a interest rate of 5.29% I've been paying ever since.

I asked the Kirkland location to break down the price he gave me and this is what he came back with:

2008 MAZDA 3I TOURING VE AUTOMATIC

Color (Exterior/Interior) METROPOLITAN GRAY MICA /BLACK

Option Group ZO6 - NON MOONROOF VEHICLE
    Port Installed Accessories NONE
    MSRP $18,145.00

YOUR PRICE $17,229.00

TAX $1,602.30

LICENSE $137.50

DOC FEE $50.00

OTD PRICE $19,018.80

he is now lower than the Everett location. Could I really get the Mazda 3 itouring value model for 16,000 which is below invoice?..i was hoping to get the trade-in to 10,000 since black book quotes around 11,000 for excellent condition.

If I add the remaining to the new car loan hopefully my payments can still be in my 350.00 range?
    I'm getting a quote of $19,950 OTD. Is that a good quote?

-doc fee 400. title / license fee 66.
    -tax 7%
    -options sunroof/audio; wing spoiler; compass mirror with homelink

I'm not sure if its 2008 or 2008.5

Is it true that you can only get a white car if it's 2008.5?
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    The i touring regular model (2008) wholesales for 13000 and change in its 07 version. 16000 and change is a fair price for the touring ve. Some have quoted lower but it is a moot point with a loan so far under water. If you look up your 05 on kbb.com or nada.com I would expect the black book price you have is the highest of them. Your car would rate probably fair cond. and many are lucky to get the kbb price.

By all means if your particular dealer here will give you 10k when you ask for 12 and refinance the whole shebang 19k +8k at 5 or 3.9% I may do it. On the other hand, the escape can't have that many miles on it to book so high. You may want to fix the windshield and drive it, especially since you may have purchased an extended warranty for the 32k? Forget about gas mileage as with the new vehicle and such you won't recover the difference with a 30% increase in mileage. I doubt you can finance 27000 for 60 months for 350 a month at even 3.9%. Thats probably 530/mo.

You could get 10 bids via email from mazda dealers via their website. Work with the three or so lowest and describe the trade.

Good luck
    --jjf
    Hey thanks for your response!

I bought the Escape brand new, I got into a loan that was beyond my budget, I was stupid and wasn't thinking straight.
    I don't understand why the car value dropped so much since I bought it in 2005.
    Since then the car does have cosmetic damages to the bumper from an accident that I never fixed and the windshield needs to be replaced. Other than that the paint is still shiny like new and the interior is still considered good and clean.

I financed the Escape for around $32,000 (>,
  • Copper red, touring, with moonroof and 6 CD player, wheel locks, delaer installed tint, $19600 w/ 3.9% financing.

Buying through the internet is the only way to go.
  • x5savx5sav Posts: 44
    Congratulation on your new ZoomZoom.
    the quiet dealer of the 3 finally responded...here's what he came back with:

"To answer your question the MSRP is $18,130 and your price will be $16,800 which is over 200 below invoice. Tax and license will be Aprox $1,575. so the total for the vehicle is $18,375. This does not figure in the trade as we will have to evaluate it."

does this sound like a good deal?...could I try for less on the car price?..say 16,500
  • If I were giving you financial advice, and I guess I am, I would say keep the Escape.. By buying a new car, you end up with a huge amount of debt, much of which is going to the depreciation and lost value of the Escape. If you are doing this for gas mileage reasons, you will never come close to recouping. And don't overemphasize what your monthly payment is; think about your total debt, so that you are not underwater forever. .Just my two cents.