Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    It's very possible to get more than $4000 off a $20,000 new car, especially in this terrible market for new cars. I see examples of $4000+ off a ~$20k car all the time in the Prices Paid discussions here and even in my local paper. Just yesterday I saw a closeout deal on a $20,000 small SUV for $12,995. Today I saw over $6000 off a $21k 2009 Fusion. There are reports in the Mazda6 Prices Paid discussion of buyers getting $1000 below invoice, before rebates, on the all-new 2009 Mazda6. And the 2009 Mazda3 is on the last legs of that design, so dealers should be incented to move 'em out before the all-new 2010s come out.

Keep in mind that in addition to markup over invoice, dealer holdback, and published incentives, there are often unpublished incentives from the manufacturer to dealers. Some of these are based on sales volume, so with some timing (and luck), you can get a great deal on a car near the end of a month because the dealer needs that sale to reach an incentive plateau.

Will everyone get $4000 off of a $20k car? No. Some buyers don't like negotiating or aren't good at it, some think 10% off or "invoice price" is a good deal, and some will shop only at dealers who aren't willing to go that low. Then there are those few cars that are in short supply vs. demand, and command premium prices. The 2009 Mazda3 isn't one of those.
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    Keep it real folks, A 2000-3000 off msrp deal was hardly anything 24 months ago much less now. We're looking at 6000-7000+ off msrp to get realistic. Anything less is hardly giving the car away. Do you want to eat $5000 or more to drive a average sedan for 12 months? In a recession?

Good luck
    --jjf

A 08 mazda 6 (22000msrp) with average miles has a used trade in value of $12000 (kbb.com)

A used 08 Hyundai Sonata (20000msrp) has a trade in of $11500

A 08 Chevrolet Impala (24000 msrp) has a trade in value of $10500

A 08 22000 msrp Ford Fusion (Relative of the new style 09 Mazda 6?) has a trade in of $12000

A 22000 08 Saturn Aura has a trade in value of $12000

A 22000 Pontiac G6 sedan has a trade in value of $11000.

A used 20000 08 mazda3 hatch has a trade in value of 15000 making it the valedictorian of the group. Grabbing an new 09 in the high 16's or new 08 in the 15's would be super if they are serious about clearing them out. The M3 has been the best in this purchase price/trade-in regard for years
  • I just bought a Mazda 3 Hatchback in Copper red mica, 5-speed, plus no other options. My price with some $198 fee was $17,750 plus or minus a couple of bucks(includes a $500 Chase finance reduction). The dealer really wouldn't come down more than that. They gave me the S-Plan pricing even though it is no longer valid which is basically equivalent to the invoice. What makes the deal though is the 5 year/1.9% interest rate. It really makes the car much cheaper than say a Honda Fit Sport at 5% interest rate. The only reason I compare it to the Fit is because my 2008 was totaled 2 weeks ago and we bought the Mazda to replace it. The Mazda is a much nicer car and "more" of a car than the Fit Sport. We also looked at the Saturn Astra but it seemed awkward when I tested it out.
    I live in Oklahoma City where we only have 2 Mazda dealers which limits our choices but I do like the dealer and feel the deal was fair.
    BTW-I've owned a Mazda Protege before and put 211,000 miles on it before selling it. That was a GREAT car and I hope this one is just as good. Everyone loves the color and wheels. The 5-speed is the only way to go if you have good knees.
  • stoopystoopy Posts: 105
    I was referring to negotiated sale price. Obviously if there is a rebate applied it is very reasonable to be at or over $4,000 off.

My point was only regarding negotiated sale price. I did in fact mention manufacturer to dealer incentives. Those and the holdback on a $20,000 MSRP car are usually $1000 or less. If invoice is $2,000 off sticker (roughly) and there are $1,000 in holdback and dealer incentives you are only at $3,000. Add a rebate in and you are likely at $4,000 off. But as I said, you have to give the dealer some profit. He isn't going to sell you a car for free. It's a business, it ain't UNICEF.

jfritsch seems to think you should somehow correlate a one year old 2008 model's Kelley Blue Book trade in value with what a brand new 2009 model car should sell for. It ain't happening. HE ALSO SEEMS TO THINK YOU CAN GET A NEW 2009$20,000 CAR FOR $7-$8K OFF STICKER. I'm not seeing that either.

You (backy) are giving examples of a 2008 closeout KIA with an MSRP of $20K selling for just under $13K. Duh, the car is 18 months old. A 2008 is not a new car if it has been depreciating on the lot for a year and a half. So yes, I would hope that even the worst car negotiator in the world would still be able to get a 2008 ANYTHING for over $4,000 off. Unfortunately the conversation was about new 2009's. Show me a new 2009 $20,000 car without a huge rebate that is selling for over $4.000 off sticker.
    For the benefit of the other posters in this forum who think you can get $7,000 or $8,000 off sticker price of a Mazda3, what was the MSRP on your deal? I'm guessing you got maybe $2,000 to $3,000 off the sticker like 99.99% of everyone else has.
  • Ask for Simon
  • $7-8k is ridiculous... I thought I got a great deal at $3k off MSRP.

OTD price is almost exactly what Edmunds lists as the invoice price.

Even a new '08.5 is only gonna go for another $1-1.5k less... still well clear of commofficer's dream. Maybe he is looking at the MSRP for a Grand Touring HB and buying an iSport sedan - now that would make sense.
    Show me a new 2009 $20,000 car without a huge rebate that is selling for over $4.000 off sticker.

I already did that... for example, the 2009 Fusion I mentioned doesn't have a "huge" rebate but was advertised for about $6000 off its $21k list. There are other examples, but this is straying off topic and it's not productive to post the same info twice.
  • I am in NH and in the market for an '09 Mazda 3i Touring automatic with Roof/6 CD package options. I will finance a small portion of the deal (50%). What do you think is my best discount I can expect off MSRP?
  • I, too, am a bit skeptical at someone getting even 5K off sticker on a 2009 Mazda 3. That said, there might be more wiggle room on the higher-priced GT or MS3, but who knows?

Here was the deal for us. We wanted either a Touring or Grand Touring HB with a 5-speed and sunroof. We found them to be rather thin on the ground within a convenient drive time (our local dealer had ONE), so it's not like tons of offers were at our fingertips. We eventually got the Touring for $3600 off sticker (our own financing) with minimal dickering. I initially thought it was a great deal, but, after reviewing the other experiences out here, it appears to be bog standard.

But, hey, the salesman was nice and we didn't have to get a car shipped from Lord knows where, sight unseen.

Are some people getting my same car for 5K under? I haven't seen one. I could've held out for another month, and maybe squeezed a bit more out of them, but what if the car I wanted could no longer be found? It's a balance ... how long are you willing to gamble?

I think fritsch (sp) is right about one thing. That TMV was WAY off. I like this site a lot, but that particular piece of information was dangerously misleading ... at least for the 3.
    My local dealer is advertising a 2009 Ford Fusion MSRP $21,360 selling for $7,366 off sticker. But this only further proves my point as there are $4,000 worth of rebates. In case you can't figure that out, it means selling price is $3,366 off sticker. So, again, over $4K off sticker of a $20,000 car is nearly impossible without HUGE rebates. Plural on the rebates.
    You are talking about a different ad than what I saw. The total discount was about $6500, and there was only a $2000 rebate, plus $500 in FMC cash for qualified buyers. I confirmed that with the Ford web site--those are the only rebates available on the 2009 Fusion right now. So not sure where the $4000 in rebates in the ad you saw came from.

Anyway, $6500 - $2500 = $4000. (Hey, I can subtract two numbers! My math major from way back in college is actually good for something! Yay!! :D )

But thanks for showing us that you can get $7000 or more off a $20k car, depending on the rebates/discounts. I've seen that level of discount on the previous-gen Mazda6i, but not yet on the Mazda3. More like $4000 off including rebates on that car, as an exceptional deal. Part of that may be less markup on the 3, also lower rebates and generally a more popular car than the 6 with firmer pricing.
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    Nobody's claiming 6000-7000 off msrp for a mazda 3. The examples I gave were for Impala, Sonata, M6 etc. I specifically said getting a 09 20000 m3 hatch for the 16's would be good. It has been the best at holding its value from (most)purchase prices for years. If you can scam a 20000 09 hatch while things are slow and the new models are coming out for the 15's ($4500 off) that would be exceptional. Its a great car.

Getting 3000-4000 off msrp (from all sources) a 09 $22000 msrp vehicle that will have a trade-in of $12000 in 12 months is no great shakes. Your looking for 6000+ off, if not more now in a recession.

What the discounts from msrp come from , advertised rebates, hidden dealer incentives, advertised dealer incentives, military discount, draft dodger discount ,favorable financing , etc is irrelevant, except for a bit of tax in most states. Ya want 7000+ off a 09 22000msrp car that will be worth $12000 (an 08 used) in a year. Until you get past that you are in "nothing to write home about" territory. If you need a car quick, fine, but don't kill yourself to jump on a mediocre deal if you're shopping.

I have no idea why the snoopy, stoopy, guy is making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • I think your comment about "nothing to write home about", while abrupt, explains the situation pretty well. Everyone here starts out not wanting to get screwed, but many morph the objective into a quest for bragging rights. Occasionally, we need to be brought back to earth.

But what is a mediocre deal? The deal just about everyone else is getting? What we see out here is only a fraction of what really goes down. Who knows where we really fit on the "fair deal" spectrum? TMV certainly isn't telling us.

We had to jump relatively quickly, because the '10 body style does not impress us and we didn't want an '09 with our desired options (or lack thereof) to be unavailable at a later time. I also didn't fret over what it would be worth in a year, as I tend to keep cars 8+ years or more.
  • ecoganecogan Posts: 26
    ... down boys... ;)
  • I am NOT feeling the new look of the 2010 M3... the styling is kinda funky (and not the good kind). Makes me glad to have picked up an '08 at a good discount.
  • ecoganecogan Posts: 26
    I agree with Big. I took a look at it at the Philadelphia Auto show, and I couldn't see the huge change they've been talking about.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    M3? I thought we were talking about Mazdas.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• sup guys and gals ... looking to buy a mazda 3 i have a co signer and with that co signer i most likely well be able to get 0 % apr i want the 2009 i touring mazda 3 sedan ... now should i put my down payment of $ 4000 to increase my chances of getting the 0 % apr or should i go with the 0 money down to get the benefits of the no apr and how much should i look to be paying because the TMV invoice i seen on edmunds doesn't make sense how can the invoice be a 1000 less than MSRP... oh Btw i live in buffalo , new york
  • Jan 09, purchased an 09 Mazda3,i touring value,auto. moonroof 6cd package, all weather mats, wheel locks...........................$17,700. This was BEFORE $500 cash back. Also got the special financing 1.9% 60 months.

Edmunds MSRP $20K
    Invoice $18.4K

Paid $700 under INVOICE. Thought it was strange too. Did Not have to do much negotiating at all. Asked around and it was a good deal..............Not especially great.

Best way to buy is to use email and get quotes from 3-4 Mazda dealers, go with the best deal. If you have a trade get an offer on it before you get final quotes. They'll all try and play the "shell game" with you.

Love the car, decided on copper red, good luck.