Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• andygrayandygray Member Posts: 3
    Yup, there is infact a dealership about 50 miles
    away from, and I did indeed buy a Miata from then
    (also on a whim) in 2000. Unfortunately, at this
    point, I am sufficiently turned off with this
    experience that I am more likely to look towards
    an Accord LX (close enough in price). Its a shame
    Mazda lets dealers indulge in stupid practices such
    as this. I really did love my Miata (had to get
    rid of it because of an addition to the family), and
    I probably would like the 3.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Its a shame
    Mazda lets dealers indulge in stupid practices such
    as this.

sorry to hear about your experience...but automakers have little control how an independently owned dealership operates. There are rare cases where the mfg can pull the franchise but it usually takes millions of dollars and years of court cases.....otoh, you mention Honda...Toyota and Honda dealers have traditionally had the lowest scores for dealership satisfaction. Some of the sleazy sales tactics used by some dealers were invented and perfected by Honda and Toyota dealers.....People wanted their cars so badly that consumers would tolerate any type of abuse to get one. So buying a Honda may not solve the dealer problem.

Remember, you will live with this new car every day and probably be making payments every month...get the one you really want, don't settle because of a dealership experience. In the long run you will be happier with the 'right car' for you!!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Toyota dealers from the 80's and 90's pulled some of the craziest tactics to get the customer's to buy. I have heard some crazy stories, from salesman that used them! Customers put up with it because they wanted the car. Still the lowest rated dealer satisfaction of any make.
  • linszoidlinszoid Member Posts: 1
    I've been emailing a dealer in Alabama back and forth about buying a Mazda3. It's an S trim with an automatic transmission and wheel locks. The dealer is asking $17669 PLUS taxes and fees. Is this a good deal?

The MSRP is $18,430 while the invoice is $17,252
  • cellneuroncellneuron Member Posts: 22
    Of course it is NOT a good deal. You should get the invoice price or below to make a good deal, considering the 2007 model is around the corner.
  • vppcvppc Member Posts: 58
    Hi, everyone!

I test drove FIVE new cars today! Here is a brief description of each one:

1. 2005 Suzuki Verona (leftover) - $15,999 - nice, but don't want something that gets the same gas mileage as my Taurus, and the stereo sucked.

2. 2006 Ford Fusion SE - $19,800 - Auto + Sport Package - excellent vehicle and great 4-cylinder power, but not quite enough right leg room after seat was pushed all the way back.

3. 2006 Mazda 3i Touring - $17,825 - Auto + Rear Spoiler - LOVED IT! Great power and the 26/34 MPG rating really has me going. Solid, stable, smooth and great handling, SEXY!

4. 2006 Honda Civic LX - $18,060 - Auto - Did not like how the transmission felt, sound system not great and kind of a reach, but did have smooth ride, and still not quite enough right leg room.

5. 2006 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - $16,415 - Auto + Rear Spoiler - Comfortable, smooth, zippy, but not exciting to me at all.

In the end, I LOVED THE MAZDA 3! However, I currently have a 2001 Ford Taurus SES (silver) w/118,000 miles and runs excellent, but really want something new, refreshing, and excellent gas mileage! What kind of trade-in do you all perceive on this car? My zip code is 45710 and I owe $5,500 on the car.

I priced out a 3i Touring online, and only want the Auto + Side Airbag/ABS package = $17,845 MSRP.

Do you think I can acheive $18,000 OTD after everything? That is my goal.

I also was thinking of the Ford Focus SES, since it shares the same platform as the Mazda3 and comes with all the features I'd like including Side Airbags/ABS for $17,485 - not to mention 0% APR for 72 mos and $1,000 rebate or $1,000 gas card!

What do you all think?

- Alex

P.S. My Taurus is silver and does not have moonroof, leather, or Duratec V6.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    If they treat you this bad as a prospective customer - Imagine what they will do for you after you buy the car! "

My dealership experience has been flawless. Just have to find a good one
  • andygrayandygray Member Posts: 3
    "My dealership experience has been flawless. Just have to find a good one"

I think we disagree here. Dealerships must be minimally competent. If a dealership does not even take the chance to earn my business, I think there is a problem. The last instance I was there, the salesperson was someone by the name Bambi or Brandi (or something along those lines), rather unprofessionally dressed, and generally did not seem to care for my business. I fault Mazda for franchising with outfits like this.

There is no excuse for such poor service.
    considering the 2007 model is around the corner.

What is your definition of "around the corner"? We are looking at September before 2007's are here
    The last instance I was there, the salesperson was someone by the name Bambi or Brandi (or something along those lines), rather unprofessionally dressed, and generally did not seem to care for my business. I fault Mazda for franchising with outfits like this.

First off, it is not easy to get a Mazda franchise. And if you do, there is extensive back ground checks involved among other things. Also, a manufacturer has very little to do with how a particular franchise conducts business. They are not there 24/7 to monitor how they dress, talk, or how educated they are. Mazda evaluates each franchise every year to see how they conduct business. Ones that stand out in satisfaction are awarded various titles such as "Performance Champion", "Gold Cup Certified", "President's Award". You should locate a dealer on Mazdausa.com and see which ones near you have earned Mazda awards for customer service.

My father bought a Honda Accord from one of the worst Honda dealers in the north east. They have HORRIBLE customer service, treat you like you are lower then dirt. He bought because he got the price so low, it made sense. He does not service the car there, he goes to where he is treated like a human being.
  • cellneuroncellneuron Member Posts: 22
    Does anybody know how much is mazda college cashback and what's the condition for it?

Thanks
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    What do you think your flawless Mazda dealership would do if I brought my Mazda3 in and ask them to fix my weak defective AC system?

What would they do if your AC system was weak and defective? (same thing NOTHING)

They would no longer be considered flawless after they told you to take a hike.

Its easy to say good things when you have had no problems -The true measure of customer service is what happens AFTER you have a problem.

Find me one customer who has had their weak AC fixed and let me know what the flawless dealership did to solve the problem.
  • mryummryum Member Posts: 12
    Ya know Bill...I very well may tick off the mods of these forums for actually singling you out. But, you brought your usual deriding manner to a forum completely unrelated to car problems.

If you're THAT unhappy...why not sell or trade in the car and be done with it? These cars seem to be holding their value pretty well so your loss should be minimal if any. Just makes no sense to continue coming here and bad mouthing anything and everything you can find about Mazda.

Bottom line is all car companies can have problems. All car companies have some unhappy customers whose expectations weren't met. Think it was you that said they should have designed the system to cool down the car on a 110 degree day in a few minutes. The A/C in my 02 Avalanche struggles on some days. There are some days...GASP...when I have to actually use the highest fan speed. The new A/C systems in cars simply aren't as strong as they were back in the old un-environmentally friendly days.

I won't deny that there are obviously some problem A/C cars out there. But, there are also a LOT of very happy customers. Is it really that tough for you to simply let some people enjoy their cars?

I don't know if Mazda has fixed any of the weak A/C systems. And frankly, I don't really care since my system works flawlessly. If and when I do have a problem, I'll deal with it like I have every other car problem I've had over the years. And that certainly won't include coming to a forum and literally jumping on every thread where someone has something good to say about their car or the dealership where they bought their car. It WILL include working with the dealer/reps/manufacturer and if no resolution is found...selling the car. This is a sub $20k car...not a huge deal to sell it and start over.

Good luck to ya Bill...
  • heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    I understand that Bill has had a bad experience, but someone said exactly the same thing to him in 2004. He's been singing the same tune for nearly two years.
    What do you think your flawless Mazda dealership would do if I brought my Mazda3 in and ask them to fix my weak defective AC system? "

Sorry, I can't answer. My AC (and everything else) has been perfect. I do know they are very courteous when I bring it in for scheduled maintenance
    Find me one customer who has had their weak AC fixed and let me know what the flawless dealership did to solve the problem. "

That's a tough one. People with AC problems are becoming a very rare breed.
    I ask "What do you think" and you say you can't answer? Is what your really saying you don't want to answer - maybe because you don't like to face the fact that - if you had a weak AC system Mazda would not fix it?

I have posted many good things about the Mazda3 - I am fair and balanced!

I really am happy some have had no problems with their Mazda3 - I take no amount of pleasure seeing other people have problems with their cars.

I think (because I can) that my posts have at least made people aware of this potential problem - so they could check it out very carefully - before they buy.

BTW in case you don't know - if you do get stuck with a Mazda3 with a weak AC system - Mazda will not even try and fix it. I guess we must all agree with this FACT right?
    I ask "What do you think" and you say you can't answer? Is what your really saying you don't want to answer - maybe because you don't like to face the fact that - if you had a weak AC system Mazda would not fix it?

I have posted many good things about the Mazda3 - I am fair and balanced!

I really am happy some have had no problems with their Mazda3 - I take no amount of pleasure seeing other people have problems with their cars.

I think (because I can) that my posts have at least made people aware of this potential problem - so they could check it out very carefully - before they buy.

BTW in case you don't know - if you do get stuck with a Mazda3 with a weak AC system - Mazda will not even try and fix it. I guess we must all agree with this FACT right? "

Can I ask why you keep bringing this up when the mods just asked you to drop it?

Here's the facts: The issues with the AC have been remedied. To go and redesign and retrofit a system on 04's that is only a problem in very hot climates would have been very costly, so they just moved forward. This doesnt help you, but this is a sound business decision, IMo. They may lose a few customers here and there, but overall they are building great cars and experiencing record sales.

I'm done with the AC issue (or non - issue, for the vast majority of us)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    thanks!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cticti Member Posts: 131
    $417 over invoice isn't that fantastic unless dealer fees (doc. fees, etc.) are zero. Can you lay at all of the fees you are being charged for us?
  • cticti Member Posts: 131
    I can certainly understand wanting a new vehicle. I did the same last year when I bought my Mazda 3 and I still owed money on my then current car. I only owned it for two and a half years before getting the bug for a new car.

You owe $5500 on a six year old car? Did you buy it used? Your best bet is, of course, to pay off and keep driving your current car. (Do as I say and not as I do :P :P ) A Taurus may not be exciting, but you say it runs well. The longer you drive the Taurus, the more money you will have for your new car. And certainly the cars you are looking at aren't great steps up from a Taurus.

If you want a price for your Taurus, go to the Real World Trade-In Value discussion and follow the formatting instructions and someone will get around to giving you a number. I'd be surprised if it was anywhere near $5,500, though. Edmunds TMV gives a trade-in of about $2500 and that is probably on the high side. You are taking a huge hit for mileage.

I've heard great things about the manual in the 3 (I have an auto in mine, so I have no direct experience). You'll save a bunch of money and get better fuel economy.
  • bolbobolbo Member Posts: 16
    I detest the fabric covering on the arm rest for the storage bin on the m6. I see that the m3 has a vinyl top which is what I prefer and am used to. I have not even test driven these cars yet, but plan to soon. It looks as if the tops of these units (for both cars) may be identical in size. Can someone speak to this and suggest if the top from the 3 would fit on a 6. Otherwise, I assume the options are to have a leather (or vinyl) top put on after the fact...which I guess anyone will do for a price. Thanks in advance.
  • bolbobolbo Member Posts: 16
    Have sat in a 6, but not a 3. I noticed from looking inside a locked 3 that there is a ledge that the front seats are on (several inch drop). Does this present any comfort problems for the feet/legs? I also know that there is no dead pedal, but there seems to be a raised area to the left for one to place his left foot. Isn't this sufficient for comfort..or is there a real detriment by not having a true dead pedal or different fabric in that location.
  • cm77cm77 Member Posts: 12
    Can anyone give me some direction of which dealership in the Northern Virginia / Maryland / DC area is the best to work with?

THANKS!
    I am not familiar with dealers down there, but, if you cannot find anyone on here that has had experience with dealers there, go to www.mazdausa.com and go to "dealer locator" and type Washington,DC. There are a few in the area which have been awarded awards by Mazda in customer service. You might want to give that a shot if you get no input from anyone else.
  • postnobillspostnobills Member Posts: 43
    Even though I live in VA I generally end up buying my cars in MD....by law the MD dealers are limited to $99 dealer prep fees vs. the $250-350 that VA dealers seem to think they are entitled to. You should start out by checking out fitzmall.com - they have a couple of MD Mazda dealerships and they are very upfront about posting their prices on the web. In general their prices are very competitive, too.
  • nyjazznyjazz Member Posts: 4
    I posted a story of my buying experience at Angiuli Mazda in Staten Island, NY a while ago (post2580). And guess what? It was not the end of it. I called general manager, told him I was not satisfied with his saleaspeople's attitude, he promised me to look into it and now he says that Angiuli is going to sue me over $2000 deposit that I managed to get back (I placed "stop payment" on it). There is no way to tell if he is serious or not at this time, but what do you guys think? Can a dealership sue somebody over the breach of contract (the contract was signed by me with words "customer requests his payments to be in 300s" and "deposit refundable if cannot meet terms" . Also, the car we talking about was sitting on premised (no custom ordered vehicles involved) and a salesman who talked me into signing said that deposits are nonrefundable only in case if dealership orders a particular vehicle for their customer...
    One thing I know, now I definetily going to file complaints with BBB and DMV.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I am currently in the process of shopping for a Mazda3 in Northern VA, and recommend the following:
    www.brownscar.com (VA)
    www.fitzmall.com (MD)

Fitzmall is no hassle (you will pay invoice and low dealer processing fees $99) and Browns has a higher processing fee ($289) but will sell the car under invoice. I have purchased a Tribute from Brown's previously and had great customer service.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    going to sue me over $2000 deposit that I managed to get back (I placed "stop payment" on it). There is no way to tell if he is serious or not at this time, but what do you guys think? Can a dealership sue somebody over the breach of contract (the contract was signed by me with words "customer requests his payments to be in 300s" and "deposit refundable if cannot meet terms" .

Are you saying that
    a) you never picked up the car and successfully put a stop payment to recover your deposit; OR
    b) you have the car and the $2000 deposit?
    Did you sign a buyer order/agreement?

stop payments are not like contesting a credit card, it may be considered breach of contract. Each state is different but I have known dealers who have won court cases over deposits and failure to take delivery, loss of revenue, etc......but each case is different and state laws certainly vary.....

check with your own lawyer to be safe
  • kizer4kizer4 Member Posts: 12
    Titanium Gray with Auto, Wheel Locks, Compass Mirror, Cargo Net.

MSRP 16,760
    Taxes+Fees = 952.58

OTD= 17,712.58

Capital Mazda in Cary, NC. I think I did a pretty good job and I am happy with the deal!
    Can a dealership sue somebody over the breach of contract (the contract was signed by me with words "customer requests his payments to be in 300s" and "deposit refundable if cannot meet terms" .

If you did in fact sign that document (which I asked about in post 2601 but you didn't reply...) then it looks like breach. But you can probably get a lawyer (hopefully someone you know that won't charge you) to call them up, tell them how you were pressured into it, what the salesman said about the deposit, and that you'll make this as publicized as you can, and they'll probably back off...
    One thing I know, now I definetily going to file complaints with BBB and DMV. "

I don't think DMV would even take a complaint like that, but I would complain loudly to Mazda corporate. They might tell the dealer to back off. Expecially if you tell them you still want the car from another place
    .. you are out nothing at this time... Just cease communication with this dealer. The chances of them suing you over $2K is somewhere between slim and none.. Even dealers with lawyers on retainer incur costs if they initiate legal proceedings.

While I have no legal training or education, I have to believe that no judge is going to enforce any car deal or award damages, when no delivery of said car has taken place. Especially a non-specific sales order that states "payment somewhere in the $300s.. I believe that would be so vague as to be unenforceable..

But, that is just a layman's opinion..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• slateracslaterac Member Posts: 85
    I'm looking at a Mazda3 i touring and would like to know how you got the tint on there? What I mean is that it's not an option, that I know of, and was wondering what you think it costs if the dealer did not put it on? My only concern is that I'm 6'3" and would not fit in the car as it has less place, by .3 inches, than my current car. I'll have to test drive one to find out but just wanted to know about your experience and when you bought the car, I'm thinking of going tonight since it's the end of the month and I've been told that if you go at night the dealers are more inclined to make a deal with you because they want to go home as much as you do.

Thanks,

slaterac.
    The - ignore them - may work out great and doesn't cost you anything. If you can handle the stress it would be a good way to go.

But if you find yourself in bed at night - wide awake - not able to sleep thinking about this mess then try and find a lawyer that will agree to allow you to tell the dealership - stop bugging me about this - please send any future correspondence directly to my attorney. Or maybe the lawyer will write a nice letter for you asking then to direct any future correspondence directly to them. Once they know you have a lawyer they will go away fast. I would guess the letter will cost $250. But it could be worth it.

These guys sound like pure scum -
    I can't disgree with any of that...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• afwejiafweji Member Posts: 8
    Hey all,

I'm looking into buying my first car soon and am looking at the Mazda3. I just had some questions as to what a fair price would be for the 4-door Mazda3 s trim. Edmunds has the invoice price around $15805, but messages I've read here are usually higher for the s trim.

I've seen posts mostly around the $17000 mark for this car. Anyways, I think it should be going down sometime since the 2007 models should be out soon. In terms of geographic area, I'm in the SF bay area if prices vary by location. Thanks for your advice!

- Future Mazda3 Owner
    I am getting prices at or slighty below invoice in Northern VA. If you call around, I think you will find that dealers will sell at invoice.
  • erc1erc1 Member Posts: 21
    Invoice? I am trying to find a hatch in central Florida, and I'm negotiating OTD prices. Back calculating, assuming no dealer fees, pitting several bids against each other, I've only gotten down to about 300-400 over invoice. Needless to say, I won't be buying at this price. If anyone can recommend a better dealer in this area, I'd love some help.

Is it unreasonable to expect invoice? And when I say that, I mean invoice with no dealer fees, or are these prices actually decent?
    Obviously every region is different. In VA I have one dealer offering $300 below invoice, but they also have a $299 processing fee.. So far it is looking like my best deal is for invoice + $99 processing fee in Maryland..
    Purchased a Titanium Grey 2006 Mazda 3i Touring (5MT), with moonroof/6 disc changer, side airbags/ABS package, rear lip spoiler, all-weather floor mats, cargo net, wheel locks, splash guards, etc. Invoice was $17.2K, and the dealer offered it to me at $100 under invoice on Monday. Here is where it gets interesting.. I then asked them to give me a quote on my trade-in (05 Mazda Tribute S 4WD) they offered $16K. Top KBB trade-in value was $16.1K. We went back and forth and they offered me $16.5 tops. I told them I wanted to do a complete swap for the 3i and I would pay TT&L (about $600) and nothing more. Sales manager was polite but told me that he had 14 used Tributes on the lot and many of them had been there for 60+ days are not selling due to high gas prices and supply/demand. He finally told me that since I was a returning customer he would give me $16.7K. He would not go any higher and offered a lesser model 3i Touring for an even trade. No go. We both held our ground and I walked out.

Well, today was Friday, the weather was bad and I decided to give it one more shot. Called the dealer and told them that I would buy the 3i Touring in the next two hours if they would do the even trade on the loaded 3i Touring (Titanium Grey) w/the Tribute. Salesman went back to the sales manager and he caved. I came in and they tried to add a processing fee (went back and forth twice but dealer added it into the cost of my trade-in) and the deal was done! I was surprised. So, in the end they ended up giving me $17.4K for my trade-in that KBB valued at $16.1K. Very happy with Browns Mazda in Alexandria, VA.

BTW, I had been trying to sell the Tribute on cars.com, autotrader.com, craigslist, and Ebay with zero hits... I honestly think I got a great deal for my trade-in. Factor in the fact that I am getting a brand new vehicle and a car that should average close to 30mpg vs an SUV that I have been averaging 15-18mpg in.. That is a savings about $900 per year.. Not to mention if gas hits $4-5 dollars in the next couple years..

Love my new M3i...
  • takasumitakasumi Member Posts: 4
    I posted a follow-up to my buying experience at Stamford Mazda which went from terrible to POSITIVE. Please see post 356 in the Mazda5 section if you're interested.

takasumi, "Mazda5: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #357, 24 Jun 2006 8:07 pm
  • lordpastylordpasty Member Posts: 11
    The one option that I didn't get on my Mazda 3s GT was the Bose sound system (and moonroof, but I don't need the moonroof). I'd love to add the Bose and the Sirius Satellite. Any idea of the cost anyone?
  • slateracslaterac Member Posts: 85
    dc_driver,

I test drove the mazda 3 i touring this weekend and I really like it. I'm looking at a mazda 3 i touring, sunroof/6 cd changer, side airbags, door guard, automatic for OTD 16300 after trade in. Is this a good deal or should I press a little harder? I have a quote of 17950 somewhere else but that doesnt include the ttl so I may talk to them as well. Thanks for all your help.

slaterac
  • nyjazznyjazz Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I did sign the purchase order with words "payments to be in $300's" and I gave $2000 deposit in form of personal check, and I successfully placed stop payment 5 days after signing the check. I never took delivery of the vehicle - why would I do that if the price wasn't the one I negotiated before. General Manager told me he was not going to refund any deposits since I refused to take delivery of the car at THEIR price.
    I, personally, think that they have no SERIOUS intention to sue me, it just might have been their way of trying to persuade me not to write any complaints to DMV (in the state of NY DMV handles complaints against car dealers)
    P.S. I looked carefully at my copy of purchase order and found out that my wife's name appears as the name of the purchaser, but signature is MINE. I wonder if the purchase order is valid after all...
    I did sign the purchase order with words "payments to be in $300's" and I gave $2000 deposit in form of personal check

mmmmm I wish everyone would walk in and make the agreement you made.
    "The one option that I didn't get on my Mazda 3s GT was the Bose sound system (and moonroof, but I don't need the moonroof). I'd love to add the Bose and the Sirius Satellite. Any idea of the cost anyone? "

I'm not sure if you can get the Bose put in after the fact - and that's a good thing. Take the $$ and have a much better system put in.

Sirius I belive is somewhere around $500 installed, give or take, depending on the dealer. I bought mine for $330 and put it in myself
  • goodshopper99goodshopper99 Member Posts: 19
    How much over or under invoice can I get on a new 06 or 07 mazda3 in SE MI? i'm in annarbor but willing to travel around 150 miles for a deal. thanks
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national personal finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased (within the past year) a new Mazda 3 and would like to talk about your new car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com