Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pete22pete22 Posts: 80
    the end of the month generally worked in terms of nogotiating lower. Than said you should try to get internet no-haggle pricing through edmonds and autobytel to name two. I would try at least 3 or 4 of ther internet quote sites. I was offered invoice on 2006 by at least 3 local dealers in Southern California. Another option is to just email the dealers internet department direct and request a no-haggle quote through their internet department. I never was quoted better than invoice on a 2006 so I don't think you could do better any time of the month.
  • rsf222rsf222 Posts: 4
    I am planning to purchase a 2006 Mazda3s Sedan touring edition next week and am not getting good info on how much some of the extras cost. I have received two quotes from different dealers for the model mentioned above (with AT and the moonroof/CD Changer option) around $18,500-$18,800 but I can't seem to get a price yet on what it would cost to add satellite radio or xenon headlights. Mazda has yet to update its site, and Edmunds doesn't have pricing on these options. Also, does anyone know if I can just take the satellite-ready car to a Best Buy or Circuit City and get the satellite radio installed independently? I'd rather not pay $300 or more for the factory installed version if I can get a clean install for $150, especially if the aftermarket version would work with the factory stereo through the "AUX" button.
  • Unfortunately, Xenon headlamps are available (standard) only on the "Grand Touring" model for '06. That model also includes leather and a few other upgrades over the "Touring". In '05, there was a Xenon/Tire Pressure Monitoring System package available.

Not sure about the satellite radio, but from what I understand the one you'd buy at Best Buy is just as good as the one from the dealer. The only exception are cars that come from the factory with it installed- those are usually more integrated. I'd save the bucks and go to Best Buy or Circuit City.
  • hkb322hkb322 Posts: 4
    my latest purchase seemed to have been helped along by the fact that it was the 29th of the month. i had been in contact with dealers for at least 2 weeks prior, but whereas a lot of salesguys had been taking it easy the 10 or so days before, suddenly on the 28th and 29th i was bombarded with "follow-up" emails and phone calls, and they seemed much more inclined to go a little lower on price...and desperate to outbid each other. the majority of quote changes came in to me during these 2 days as well.

also, one dealer who had been reluctant to give me a lower price earlier ended up doing so immediately after i told him i'd be able to buy before the 30th. that said s/thing to me (even if i didn't end up buying from him!)

personally i think it's easiest to start talks in the middle of the month and plan on moving at the end - the talks period lets them know you're serious and you aren't just asking for a quote out of curiosity, so by the end they'll work a little harder to push you over the edge and commit. not sure if that works for everyone, but it certainly doesn't hurt ;)

good luck!
  • girmanngirmann Posts: 26
    Offer on the table...

2005 Mazda3s Hatch. ABS/SAB/SAC, Moonroof & 6CD, net & locks.

19200 + 239 conveyance and they'll take the Gerber.

TMV says 19428, this is 19439 - Gerber.

What do you think?

Mark
  • When I run the TMV for it with the options you listed, I'm coming up with $18,351. It's for the Mazda3 s 5-door with ABS/SAB/SAC, Moonroof/6CD Pkg, wheel locks and cargo net. Why the big difference I wonder?

Something else to consider- the TMV for an '06 3 s Touring 5-door with Moonroof/6CD, wheel locks and cargo net is showing as $18,623. The ABS/SAB/SAC is standard on that model.

For about $270 more, would you rather have an '06 vs. an '05? Just throwing the option out there...
  • len9len9 Posts: 1
    I am new to this message board although I have used Edmunds for a while.

We are looking to buy a commute car and 3 is top on the list ever since we attended the first Zoom Zoom road shows in SF a couple years back. Got a few online quotes already, best one is $12,500 for a 2005 3i with AT, no other options. That's quite abit under invoice. Two questions:

1) Has anyone got the base 3i before and regretted not getting any options, eg. PW, AC, ABS, etc. Is the next model up better value for money?
    2) Saw quite alot of talk on this forum about rebate coupons, most have expired, I guess. Are there any that are still good?

Thanks in advance.
  • Hi len9-

I've found myself in the same situation of being offered a fantastic deal on a very basic 3 i. Just a few weeks back, a dealer offered me an '05 3 i (red/black, AT, AC) for $12,995. If only it had been a 5-speed manual, I may have seriously had to consider it. I'd prefer cruise and power windows, but that price is incredibly tempting. I just can't stand automatic transmissions.

Do you think you can live without the power options? I know I'd miss the keyless entry and cruise control more than anything else. Does your current vehicle have these and are they something you think you'd use often (or power windows, etc.).

If it helps at all, an '06 i Touring (with power everything, AT, AC) has a current Edmunds TMV of $16,985. That's almost $4,500 more than the one you're considering. If you do choose the '05, maybe saving that much will be of significant comfort!
  • First, do your homework. If you cannot find the pricing for 2006 3's, go to www.mazdausa.com and do a inventory search within 50 to 100 miles of your home zip code. On the next screen don't select a dealer, but select the 3 you want (I want a 3i Touring), then hit search. It will pull up every vehicle available in your area and you can look at what options they have, and then pull up the sticker from the car. Print both of these and use them to compare to Edmunds and KBB.

If you have S-Plan use it, if you don't ask for invoice pricing based upon what you find out on Edmunds (Edmunds has most of it correct, but Mazda is now bundling options like the moonroof and 6 CD and Edmunds adds both the bundle and another $500 at MSRP for the 6 CD again - be aware of this) and stick to it. The space where the 3 plays is hot with the release of then newly redesigned Civic and the dealers know it - play up that you have options, granted if you go buy a Civic you will be paying MSRP, but your dealer doesn't need to know that (white lie if you will). If you can get your hands on the Zoom-Zoom or Gerber coupons use them. It is up to $1000 free money. I had no issue getting the Gerber coupon and registering for it and registering for Zoom-Zoom is right on the Mazda web site and then you can go to a event or purchase your coupon off E-Bay.

I am looking at a Mazda 3i Touring Sedan and configured as I want it in Titanium Gray with the following options. Automatic transmission, ABS/Side Air Bag/Curtains, Mooroof/6CD Package, Cargo Net, Wheel Locks, Mirror with dimmer and compass, door guards, and fog lights and the MSRP is as follows: Destination $560 (usually part of MSRP), Car $15990, Options $2795 for a total MSRP of $19,345. Now here is what I am paying with S-Plan (S-Plan is invoice pricing for 2006). Destination $560, Car $14961, Options $2403 for total drive out of $17924 less my $500 Gerber and $500 Zoom-Zoom coupon. My drive out will be $16924 plus tax at 6% plus $41 in fees. Edmunds TMV is $18754 for the vehicle. Under S-Plan you do not pay that made up dealer/advertising fee and I encourage you not to pay it either.

It is also worth pointing out that a 2005 Mazda 6i Sport Sedan, Sports Model with incentives ($3000) and coupons ($1000) that I priced in comparison came close to the 3i Touring I configured at $18302 after incentives and coupons. I think I am still getting the 3. Any opinions on that?
  • caylancaylan Posts: 19
    I am prepping for an end of year buy on the Mazda3 S 5 door wagon.
    I am new to the Mazda world & my last new car was my trusty & thrifty 92 Civic Si.
    the 3s seems to have everything that the Si had & the fun & utility factor all in 1.

Are there any '05 sp23 5 doors left or am I too late? I tried using the Mazda inventory search but couldn't see how to expand it to a national search to focus in on the sp23.

Anyhow, if the community can help me forumulate a plan of attack it would be greatly appreciated!
  • "It is also worth pointing out that a 2005 Mazda 6i Sport Sedan, Sports Model with incentives ($3000) and coupons ($1000) that I priced in comparison came close to the 3i Touring I configured at $18302 after incentives and coupons. I think I am still getting the 3. Any opinions on that?"

That's a tough call. Personally, I love the 3 and will probably own one here in a few more weeks. My best friend bought a 6 s a few weeks back and he loves it.

You'll get better fuel economy with the 3 (the 3 i auto is rated at 26/34 and the 6 i auto is rated at 23/28). Most reviews of both cars have been the higher performance "s" models, but Consumer Reports has tested both a 3 i and a 6 i automatic. Interestinly, they both did 0-60 in 9.6 seconds. So either way the acceleration is about the same. I personally think the 3 is more fun to drive.

Thanks for all your shopping info. Very good common sense stuff that some may not have thought about. It is appreciated.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
  • girmanngirmann Posts: 26
    Whoops! Automatic, too!
    If your thinking of the 6i I see in ads over the weekend that you can get a Toyota Camry LE with auto for 16300 in Southern California. And they also get somewhere around 26 - 34. I myself will get the mazda 3 but either the 6 or Toyota is tempting.
  • I have the pin code but I dont know if there is anyways I can find the pricing online. Can any one guide me to it?
    Thanks
  • Unfortunately, it seems all the SP23 models (4- and 5-door) are long gone (at least in the Atlanta area). The '06 Grand Touring model replaces the SP23 and offer the features of that model as either standard or optional.

There is no direct way to search nationally on the Mazda website, 150 mile radius is the max it will allow. The way around this would be to use a zip code from other cities to do your inventory search. For instance, I live in Atlanta but could enter the zip for Nashville, Charlotte and Birmingham to see what inventory those cities have. It's kinda clunky, but it works.

Who knows, there might be one or two SP23s out there.
  • wizpopwizpop Posts: 1
    I figured I got a pretty good deal in CA. Paid $12995 for the car (plus the 10%tax etc)
    Love the car
    Thanks for the info. I tried that...just guess I have to broaden the search.
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    Saw one in the Tacoma Washington showroom today.

56th and Pacific Hwy. Probably 98422 zip.
  • Hello. I've been quoted $17122 for an 06 3i Touring with AT and ABS/SAC package. Does this sound like a good deal? Also, what fees should I expect to pay (other than sales tax obviously), for title and license fees in CA? Anything I should look out for? After getting this quote, I contacted another dealer, who said they would match but not beat, the price. This configuration seems to be difficult to find in this area.
    I've been told that the s-plan and invoice for the Mazda3 are exactly the same. One dealer showed me an invoice and it was true on that one. Anyway it's easy to figure out the invoice since this seems true.
    A little far off from the other Washington...DC.

But thanks for info!!
  • Just wondering- if you can't find an sp23, will an '06 Grand Touring 5-door be an option?
    Yes.
    I'm just beginning my research on it.
    Not sure what the main differences for the '06 vs. '05 M3's except ABS is standard.

I didn't really need the leather but that brown saddle looked really nice on the sp23.

Any insights would be great thanks!
  • I agree that the saddle leather looked nice and I'm usually not a fan of any beige/brown interior. I just thought it was an odd choice for the gray exterior. Just my personal taste.

Anyway, the saddle leather doesn't look like it will be available for '06. The Grand Touring model has ABS, side curtain airbags, Xenon headlamps, tire pressure monitoring and security system which were all optional on the SP23. The one feature missing is the 7-speaker Bose sound system, but it is optional on the Grand Touring. Also, it has automatic climate control trip computer and outside temp gauge that is new for '06.

If leather isn't a must, you can save a good bit by going for the s Touring 5-door. The main features you can't get on it are the Xenon headlamps and Bose stereo. Neither are deal breakers for me, so the s Touring 4-door is the model I want.

Hope this helps you out.
    I agree that the saddle leather looked nice and I'm usually not a fan of any beige/brown interior. I just thought it was an odd choice for the gray exterior. Just my personal taste.

Well since I never saw 1 in broad daylight, the charcoal actually looked pretty dark in the corporate website & the saddle brown looked striking vs. the charcoal...but that's just my taste!

Anyway, the saddle leather doesn't look like it will be available for '06. The Grand Touring model has ABS, side curtain airbags, Xenon headlamps, tire pressure monitoring and security system which were all optional on the SP23. The one feature missing is the 7-speaker Bose sound system, but it is optional on the Grand Touring. Also, it has automatic climate control trip computer and outside temp gauge that is new for '06.

Thanks for the data points!

If leather isn't a must, you can save a good bit by going for the s Touring 5-door. The main features you can't get on it are the Xenon headlamps and Bose stereo. Neither are deal breakers for me, so the s Touring 4-door is the model I want.

Yes, my thoughts exactly after some recent research. The Xenon just cause unwanted attnetion by law enforcement should i "accidentally" drive beond the posted limits.

The Bose Stereo while nice...but if I want to listen to every bit of detail from a Miles Davis CD, I can do it @ home. It's like watching TV in the car. I still don't get it. :confuse:

Hope this helps you out.

Yes, it crystallized a few things I had thought about so thanks again for chiming in. BTW, do you know if the '06 gets some of the aero body add-ons that was extra cost in the past?

I'm just waiting for Ford/Mazda to cave in & start offering rebates so I can pounce! ;)
  • While dealing with a dealer over email, I mentioned to him that his invoice price was higher than the price he says. His response was that I was missing a $150 assessment fee... Is that true? Eitherways as I said I am getting a 2006 Mazda3 I Touring with the ABS package for 16,300. Is it a good deal? I think its under invoice. I just though I will ask views here to reassure that its a good deal.

Also what color do you guys like the most? I liked the Strato Blue but others can mention their choice and pros and cons.

Thanks
  • BTW, do you know if the '06 gets some of the aero body add-ons that was extra cost in the past?

The only thing I know of is the '05 Sport Package (17" wheels/tires and side sill extensions) that was optional on s 4-doors is standard on s Touring and Grand Touring models. I didn't think much about this until I saw an '05 with and one without the package. It's a must have!

I'm just waiting for Ford/Mazda to cave in & start offering rebates so I can pounce!

That would be great. I was crossing my fingers back when the Ford Family Plan first started that Mazda would be included, but they're not that foolish.

My hope is that the success of the new Honda Civic might help Mazda3 prices go down (or even encourage them to offer incentives). I'll try to hold out for a while longer.
  • Yes... it's true. Most of these websites are great tools and offer as much accurate info possible. Unfortunately, not everything can be accounted for with the possibility of variances, in different areas of the country.

MNAO(Mazda North American Operations) assessment is a dealer co-operative to assist with advertising costs. If an area is assessed this charge it will be listed on the factory invoice. It is a cost factor for the dealership and is part of the invoice amount.

Our Dallas/Fort Worth assessment is currently $176 on 2006 Mazda 3 models. My invoice on the same car you're looking at would be $16,037(14,961/BASE INV+340/ABS,SAB,SAC INV+560/DEST+176/DFW ASSESS=$16,037).

The price you've been quoted appears to be $289 over the invoice on that particular car, if equipped the way you listed and I reiterated. That is a good deal for yourself and a reluctantly agreeable deal for the dealer. Take advantage if the car you actually want is available. I know that Mazda 3 models, at my dealership, have an average "lot" time from off the truck to sold of 48 to 72 hours.

Keep in mind that the Mazda 3 is one of the best values when it comes to price vs product... just ask Edmunds. ;)
  • Thanks for your response. Based on your response, it seems like that even edmunds invoice pricing is then incorrect. I was under the impression that I was getting below invoice. However, no other dealer was even agreeable to the deal. BTW, was the base price you quoated inclusive ot Automatic Transmission?

I do have the pin code for the S-pricing. I just did not know if I should bother to ask that price if I was getting below invoice. I think the best would be to go to a different deal with the PIN to get the correct pricing.
    Thanks for all tbe inputs. Finally I am just curious, which is the most demanded/sought color?
  • My daughter just bought a Mazda 3S (10/5) to replace her Toyota Matrix that was recently totaled.

I got the invoice price through edmunds and searched inventory in my area thru the Mazda website. I found one at Putnam Mazda in Burlingame, CA. They gave me a no hassle price of $17367 plus T & L. Price included the 5 speed auto, floor mats and the side air bag package. It was $50 under invoice. They also threw in the wheel locks at no cost.They wouldn't go any lower on the price. I checked with a few other dealers in the area.. lowest price was 17500. We got the color she wanted, titanium.

It was easy and they didnt try to add any additional fees or costs. We looked at the civics and the corolla S.. both were nice, but I feel the mazda is a step ahead of both. I hope this helps others trying to find a mazda 3.... I am waiting to see how she like it... and may trade my 02 CRV for a 5 door 3S.