Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• I find the comments on this site very interesting. How can anyone drive a toyota truck and then drive a Chevy or Ford and chose the Toyota?? It blows my mind! Toyota needs to stick to building their little cheap cars...
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "How can anyone drive a toyota truck and then drive a Chevy or Ford and chose the Toyota??"

Easy. They drove the Chevy or Ford and then drove a Toyota. Have you driven a Tundra?

"It blows my mind!"

Perhaps you should give your mind a bit more of a workout. You know, open it up a bit. Think new thoughts.

"Toyota needs to stick to building their little cheap cars..."

I'm sure the management of Ford and Chevy feel the same way. Too bad for the better part of two decades they've essentially handed the small car market over to the likes of Toyota and Honda. Guess what happened? First time car buyers in the MILLIONS bought Hondas/Toyotas/Nissans/Mazdas because they knew how to build good, reliable, small cars that didn't make you feel like you were in a penalty box. Then, as their purchasing power went up and up and up, they tended to STAY with their foreign brands. All of this because Ford/GM DIDN'T stick to building good 'little cheap cars'.....
  • WELL SAID, rorr!
  • emtemt Posts: 39
    AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy the way, my dad did drive a ford and chevy, then bought the Tundra!!!
  • Oh yeah, toyota builds cheap little cars? That must mean you never looked at what your beloved chevy or ford offer in the sub-compact and compact car category. If Toyota built cheap cars, I wouldn't imagine how CHEAPER and LOUSIER american cars would be. (because they already are cheap and lousy)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    Folks, this isn't the place to debate domestic vs import quality or preference. Let's stick to what little is known about the upcoming Tundra.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Don't worry. I think Elvis has left the building. His last login was 9/3.
  • Sorry if I shouted...
    Well I think the next Tundra will be a 2007 because Toyota is making major engine changes to the 2005 and they wouldn't do that if the Tundra was at its last year of production. 2006 will be the Tundra's last year.
    Well, Toyota thinks it will be a 2006 based on the information we have from them!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Ah, surprising.
  • I just picked up my new DC Tundra Friday. Heres the specs, fog lights, bed liner, towing package, lighted running boards, upgraded JBL sound system, tinted windows, chrome bed bars, 18" BBS wheels. Unless you plan on towing a bulldozer this 4.7 engine has all the power you will ever need. This was an upgrade from a 2002 Access cab tundra. I checked all the major manufacturers trucks prior to trading for this truck, you can't find the comfort of the Tundra in any of them. I can't wait for the 2007 with the bigger engine option but this truck rocks.(My opinion). Anyone looking to buy one fell free to email me for any more info or specs.
  • toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    I think maybe there is some confusion because of model year vs. calendar year. I have specific info from Toyota that says August of 2006 for the introduction of the new truck. Perhaps some people at Toyota are saying 2006 meaning calendar year, not model year. As others have said, it would be extremely unusual for Toyota to upgrade an engine and install a new transmission for one model year, and then produce a totally new truck the year after.
  • That's what I think.
  • So when will the bigger engine make its debut in the Tundra. Looks like for 2005 all they did was add variable valve timing to increase 40 more hp but that doesn't help with low end torque. The bigger more powerful V6 is a welcome addition though. Is it a safe bet that the bigger V8 is at least another two to three years away.
  • I think the new V8 will be available in Aug-Sept 2006 as a 2007 model. This gives Toyota 2 years with the new 282hp V8.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    I test drove a new Tundra with the VVTI and 5spd auto and man what a difference!...the thing hauls [non-permissible content removed] now compared to the prior 245 horse version.The new style wheels are also a nice update also along with the dash.
  • Are you thinking about buying it or are you going to compare it with the competition ? How much quicker do you think the Vvti engine is compare to the non Vvti engine?
  • Is that it comes in a 3/4 ton 4x4 Double Cab diesel. I'd buy it! (that would make 2 Tundras in my family)
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    I'm actually waiting for the 05 Tacoma to show up.I'm interested in the V6 (245 horse)with the 6 spd manual!...
  • So last year Toyota launches a 4l V6- its a 90 degree motor, which means it was developed for V8 derivation. That makes for a 5.3 liter with 300 hp and 375lbft of twist. Should do niceley, at least against the present market. but this is also relatively square bore motor, so a stroker could be derived w/o too much hooplah- that should let you shoot hoops with the big dawgs. The interesting question to me is what we'll get for a diesel. The European spec 4.2l would work awesome in the current tundra, but when you set out to (how did that go....) "mercilessly crush them [competition] with a vastly superior truck that embarrasses....." they may opt for something bigger. But then, the Tundra HD might not show up till the second year.
  • playswithmud,

I have a contact who works at Toyota HQ(USA), that states the next Tundra and variations of it will be powered by an engine no smaller than 6.0L-V8 and 400 HP/450 ft-lbs of torque. Unless there will be two engine options available, a 5.5L or a 6.0 L V8? Toyota has been eyeing the F-250/F-350 market for a while, so in order to compete at this end of the market they will also need a V10 option!
  • Anyone have any feedback on real-life gas mileage with an '05 V6 Tundra? Also on the '05 V8 for that matter. I know the specs, wanted to hear actual experience....thanks.
    Hi triumph75 - this topic is just for talking about the next Tundra, due out in 2006. For questions about current models, please visit our regular Toyota Tundra discusssion. Thanks!

• Only way I can read that statement is that there will be a 6l (or slightly bigger) V8 as the horsepower choice. But it wouldnt pay to only have one engine- especially one that promises to get moderate fuel economy at best. Toyota wont need a V10. Chrysler has already decided that they dont need one. Maybe a bigbore V8 at the most. When ford has an 8/10 take rate on the power stroke, they dont really need one either.
  • I have a 01 access cab Tundra and it works really well for my wife and me. My question is when is Toyota going to install towing mirrors on their Tundras?? We have those clip-on mirrors and they vibrate alot and makes towing a jittery event. Anybody with and clout with Toyota to give them this suggestion??
  • Is Toyota going to put the locking fuel door back on the Tundra pickups, or make a locking gas cap for the Tundra's? The 2006 and/or 2007 looks like it has a locking fuel door.
  • Why Toyota eliminated the locking gas door from the Tundra starting in 2003 (my folks 02 has it). Aside from making the front end a total abomination (IMO), this is a very dissapointing thing Toyota has done to the Tundra since 03.

Hopefully things will change with the next generation Tundra.
  • Is gas theft really that big of a problem in other parts of the country? As for the 03 front-end, my only complaint is that you cant mount lights to the bumper. Expect styling to be like the new Taco, but BIGGER- probably even a steel bumper
  • From a 15% larger V8 engine! They may keep the 4.7 as a "small" V8 but the 5.5 should have 350HP. The 300HP in the F-150 is only adequate, with it's size and weight gain.

DrFill