Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. My position is that anyone who drives a full size truck or SUV is not looking for Civic/Corolla type gas mileage even with the smallest engine configurations.

"GM sells so few of the 6.0L vortecs that they don't even put a special badge on the truck."

You sure? I was reading Edmunds' review of the 07 Silverado and they state:

"Plastered on the side of our redesigned 2007 Chevrolet Silverado test truck is a bright red badge that reads "Vortec Max." It's the best name Chevrolet could come up with for the top-of-the-line 6.0-liter V8 under the hood, but we're not digging it."
  • chevy598chevy598 Posts: 162
    I work at a GM truck plant that builds all 4 door Chevy/Gmc HDs. After 9/11 and gas prices shot up demand for the 6.0L disappeared. We build 350 trucks per shift and you're lucky if 10 trucks have the 6.0L. We average about 60% with the Duramax Diesel and 40% 5.3L vortec. GM builds more HDs with Diesel engines then all gas engines combined. Before 9/11 we averaged close to 20 6.0L vortecs a day and 60% 5.3L vortec. The last 6 years demand for diesels has sky rocketed. I don't know what the ratios are for Ford & Dodge. I think GM does a little more diesel business then competitors, because the Duramax is hands down the best truck engine in the world. Thank god for Isuzu Motors.You're probably right about the vortec badge. The 2006 models didn't have it, and we haven't switched over to the 2007's yet. Chevy/GMC HD's start being built in mid February and should hit the dealers in late March.
    Hey kdhspyder, just because I work for GM doesn't mean I don't like foreign cars. I would love to get my hands on a Lexus. Now thats a car I consider "Best in Class", and would look nice parked next to my Silverado.
    "I think GM does a little more diesel business then competitors, because the Duramax is hands down the best truck engine in the world. Thank god for Isuzu Motors."

I have a friend w/ a Cummins that would probably beg to differ ;)

Happy motoring :D
    Yeah so would a bunch of Ford guys, but the numbers don't lie. GM went from no Diesels to market leader overnight and has had the crown for a while. Those Ford & Dodge diesels are so damn loud it's scary. My neighbors got a 2004 SD powerstroke Ford he swears is the best, but you can hear him comming a block away. Isuzu has the best commercial diesels in the world, and Gm paid big bucks to get that technology. The American diesel makers lag behind asian & european makers.
    I just seen the crew cab Tundra and have to say it's better looking then the extended cab. Looks a little to big, but a better look.
  • The truck is rated 381 horsepower and 405 pounds feet torque.My friend works for my local dealership and that waht he says are the final figures.Thats a bit too powerful for only a 5.7 Liter V8. It should get a responsive 325-340 horsepower and 360-390 pounds feet torque. Thats just too much. It will probally get 10 or 11 MPG city and maybe 16 MPG hwy. Are they tring to build an army tank or something. It looks good but it has way to much power(bad gas mileage).The new Silverado and Sierra can get 21 MPG hwy. The way the gas is going up Nobody will buy the new Tundra's. Pretty soon the gas will be $4 a gallon and Toyota will get very little sales. Then they will have to do something about it then. (decrease in power)
    The 5.7 engine the most powerful engine that will be offered by Toyo. There are 2 smaller engines available- one of them being the 4.7 V8. I do agree with you that it will undoubtedly have low gas mileage but then again people who buy full size SUV's and trucks do not expect record breaking gas mileage. The "big" engine offerings by Dodge, Ford and GM do not have exceptional gas mileage either. People who need heavy duty trucks w/ powerful engines and a bunch of torque IMHO are not using their rigs for quick runs to the grocery store. Their probably using it for work, play (towing boats e.g.) or both.
    To say that "nobody will buy the new Tundra's" is a overstatement.
  • serranotserranot Posts: 113
    The amount of peak horsepower it puts out does not necessarily correlate to no gas mileage. It is a function of weight, gearing, and the amount of right boot to name a few. A Corvette can get 25+ miles per gallon and it has over 400 hp.

Regards,
    Tom
  • rdsumrdsum Posts: 12
    The 5.7 engine looks like a good one. Does it have a timing chain or does one have to replace the timing belt as a "regular" maintenance item? It is interesting how the costs build at the dealer when they suggest other things to replace at the same time as the belt.

Toyota will not be able to sell 200,000 Tundras if they only have one or two on their lot to sell. Toyota dealers in Canada do not stock trucks to any great extent. Just have a look at a Ford or Chev dealer and you can take your pick of color and options. It is going to be an interesting few years to see how Toyota is going to fare in the "real" truck market.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    In three weeks we'll know more about the 5.7L but Toyota is going toward timing chains on all their engines.
  • 1972ck1972ck Posts: 56
    I had an opportunity last week to see the new 5.7 liter V8 in a "cut away" view in person. Toyota is using 2 timing chains for the new 5.7 liter. Also, I have heard that the new 5.7 will be in the "300-20 club". Meaning it will be producing 300+ hp and have a hwy. EPA fuel economy rating of 20 mpg or higher. Toyota is gearing up to bump up production to reach the 200k unit mark. That's the reason for the new San Antonio plant. The Indiana plant can easily pump out 100k to 125k units a year. With the addition of TMMTX you'll be seeing alot more trucks on dealer's lots.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    A few points to ponder:

1. The are many, 100k-200k full-size owners, who are driving domestics/Tacos that have the Next Tundra on their radar screens. Doesn't mean even half will buy, but it will be investigated. Many were waiting for Toyota to offer a Hemi/Triton/Vortex competitor!

2. Toyota has about 500k+ current Tundra owners looking at Tundra 2.0 as well.

3. Toyota car owners generally move to the domestics to get the size/power they want, but become disgruntled with the trade-offs. Toyota can market to these defectors.

4. The 4.7 has almost as much power as the Triton 5.4!

5. The interior is a disappointment, and the grille is confusing, but the sheetmetal itself is tight, like skin- over-muscle.

6. Fleet sales will become more focused this time around.

7. Ford, Dodge, and Nissan are losing share, and GM and 'Yota WILL pick up the pieces. The Titan is done if it can't sell before the Chevy and 'Tundra arrive!

DrFill
    Concise and spot on for all of these points.

Ford acknowledged yesterday, NYTimes article that it was contracting and that Toyota should pass it in 2007 but it was also concerned about contracting too much where Chrysler also passed it. Ford is really really really cutting back; Taurus, minivans, Explorers, F150's, Wixom plant (?), domestic made Rangers in St Paul (?). It may be almost half the size it was 5 yrs ago.

GM is on a good streak; Kudo's to the Silverado for MT TOTY ( good job to chevy598 and your coworkers !), Acadia/Outlook, Aura/Malibu, hybrid initiatives and 2 mode system. Do something about the Cobalt!!
    Excerpt from the article:

"The Toyota Tundra, voted Edmunds.com’s Most Significant Vehicle of 2007, will take a chunk of large truck market share from the domestic automakers. This is a very profitable segment, so any loss in market share will have a disproportionately large impact financially. In terms of sales volume, Toyota will overtake Ford as the number two automaker in America by mid-2007."
  • So your saying the truck will not have 381 hp. It will have probabally and estimate of 320 hp. plus 20 miles per gallon. GREAT!! Besides thats enough power. GO TOYOTA TUNDRA!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dreasdaddreasdad Posts: 276
    Maybe thats why Toyota just took GM's share of Isuzu off their hands?!!

Now that the Own part of Isuzu they will will be able to use Isuzu dielse Technology

And use the Suburu plants that they bought the month before.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Posts: 276
    remeber you are not talking about a 40 year old Over head valve disgned engine your taloking about a Dual overehead vale design with variable valve timing probaly on both the intake and exhaust valave like the 3.5 in the Avalon and Camry.
  • In my opinion the 2 best fullsize trucks (as of Feb 2007) will be the Chevy Silverado and Toyota Tundra Here's why

1.Both trucks deliver over 300 hp.

2.Both trucks will get 20+ MPG Hwy.

3.Both trucks can tow more than 10,000 lbs.

4.Can take more than 2000 lbs of payload.

But here's why I think why Chevy has an advatage against Toyota.

Better interior
    Looks a bit more refined.

Here's were I think we can Toyota has an advantage.

Indegrated tow hitch
    6 speed automatic transmission
    Bluetooth Navigation
    If the numbers are accurate it seem like a balanced perspective. The numbers and the performance will be telling but from the reports of those who've driven the new Tundra it seems accurate.
  • 1972ck1972ck Posts: 56
    Aaah...no. I think you misunderstood me. The "300/20 Club" means a full sized truck with 300 or more horsepower AND it's rated for 20 mpg or more EPA hwy. Not 320 horses.
    Toyota still hasn't released HP/Torque rates as of yet. Jan 8th at the Detroit Auto Show is where and when we'll know the exact #'s. I'm merely guessing/estimating the ratings from driving and experiencing the truck. :D