Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• Well said partner, the interior on my new Tundra is beautiful, it's just in the pictures it looks cheap, but the dash and all that is very logically laid out. The cabin is nice and comfortable, the bed is excellent (haven,t got my bedliner) but I'll go in the summer to my Toyota Dealership and get the bedliner. Anybody know if Rhino would do well on an '07 Tundra.
  • DIVE IN .ANY THING NEW IS GREAT.I BET YOU WILL BE HAPPY TO GET OUT OF THAT FORD.I HAD ONE,5.0 ,IT COULD'NT PASS A GAS STATION UP.I HAD IT 13 YEARS.11-12 MILES TO A GALLON CITY!I HERE CHEVROLET TRUCK IS COMING OUT WITH A 500 HORSE POWER ENGINE PRETTY SOON.LOOK OUT TUNDRA!
  • Does anyone know if Toyota plans to offer "Smart Key" on the Tundra?

Is there any word on when the TRD supercharger might be available and what the performance numbers might be?

I also wonder if direct fuel injection is in the future plans like on the lexus 4.6 liter.

Do you guys think that a Tundra Hybrid is viable or is Toyota going to rely on a diesel for their fuel efficient variant?

I have been following the development of this tundra for a long time. I was essentially sold on it prior to its unveiling (probably helped by all the hype). I am only interested in the Crewmax variation with the 5.7 Liter.

I want a truck that includes the following:

1. Room to carry 5 to 6 passengers comfortably

2. Enough power and towing capacity to haul anything I need (Large Boat or Travel Trailer)

3. Fast and relatively nimble when not towing

4.Comfortable, nice looking, nice feeling interior

5. Nice Looking exterior

6. Good Reliability and Good Resale value

Right now I think that a GM or Toyota Full Size CrewCab/Crewmax are my only considerations and I'm leaning toward the Toyota.

I think toyota has done an admirable job with this truck and I will likely buy a Crewmax later this year, but if a Toyota exec asked me for a special order this would be It....

2008 Crewmax Limited with "Smart Key", Upgraded Interior and Dash Design with column shifter and Leather Seating for 6, Straight from Factory with TRD Supercharger pushing 450 HP and 500 ft-lbs torque. That Should give it a 5.5 second 0-60 time and still be able to haul what I need it to. MSRP of about $45K sound OK to ya. I can put down my deposit now.

It would be my Toyota Version of a Ford Lightning with 4 doors. Unneccesary and Unlikely I know, but I wish.
  • Well, my buddy and I went to check out the new Tundra and we stopped at two dealers actually. Drove a double Cab with 4.7 (All 5.7's were accounted for) and at another dealer, a double cab 5.7 SR5. Our conclusions were pretty much similar, the 4.7 is more than adequate to get the job done. The 5.7 however is a monster. It is just a mean, gutsy, powerhouse that really kicks you in the pants when you get on it. If I were ever in the market for a 1/2 ton truck, I would definitly put that engine at the top of the priority list.

As far as materials and features, well it's a truck not a luxury car. But even in the SR5, it was comfortable, well laid out and the materials are solid. Sure, there are some shiney plastics, but I couldn't find a misaligned item anywhere on the dash.

My friend was offered a decent price for the truck, but they low-balled him on his trade (2005 GMC Sierra :lemon: #2 ) that he has been looking to get out of. So we left without the keys, as he is apparently going to try and sell it outright.

Mind you, this guy is a sevice manager for a P/B/GMC dealer and the reactions to the Tundra were enough to win him over to the dark side it seems :P

This truck is certainly going to earn a lot of conquest sales once those folks drive the 5.7. The power is addictive. :shades:
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    More than the disintermediation of Ford and Chevy truck drivers defecting to the T-150, I'd worry if I were Nissan. I'm thinking this truck should spell the end of the trouble prone, not quite ready for prime time Titanic....
  • Nah, I think Nissan has their list of lessons learned from Titan version 1.0 that'll be fixed for version 2.0. I actually commend them for taking the initial risk. There were a few "firsts" that appeared on that truck like the adj. tie downs, the factroy bedliner and lockable bin behind the drivers side rear wheel well. And the Endurance V8 is quite impressive even in heavy pigs like the Armada (That sucker will throw you in the back seat if you get on it). It was the initial quality glitches that caused the stumble in sales, not the capability. Even still, it is due for a redesign and I'm positive that Nissan will get it even closer to right.
  • I have done the factory and aftermarket bedliners in the past. My last 3 trucks have been sprayed in liners, all Line-x. My new Tundra will be sprayed. $400 to spray in the bed (bottom, tailgate, and walls up to the rails).

I really like the Line-x spray-in liner. Semi-rough surface, no slippage, and very durable. They do have to strip the paint out of the bed of your truck to prep it for the spray in liner. Just don't watch this process and you will be fine, lol.
  • End of Titan, probably not. But the Tundra will definately hurt their sales along with GM and Ford truck sales. This beasty Tundra will hurt, they will rebound, but it will hurt.

WARNING!!!! Do not go to a Ford dealership and speak of the new Tundra as a T-150. That really pisses them off. They are not happy over this one, lol.

Wanna have a little fun? Go to a Chevy dealership and do a truck to truck comparison between the Tundra and Silverado with a salesman. Watch him squirm and lie.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    How GM is in a full backpedal, with 0% for 5 years, and new owners trying to explain away the performance differences.

Seems they got blindsided by the ability of the Tundra.

They can't claim more power, payload, towing, or interior room. So it's time to deal.

DrFill
  • maple2maple2 Posts: 177
    You know whats really funny is the import lovers that know absolutley nothing about trucks (and how would they since theyve never had one unless you count the titan) and now all of a sudden they are experts on the subject. dont get me wrong im not bashing the tundra it seems like a more than capable truck but that is all, it "seems" like a capable truck. To put it on a pedestal and say that is the benchmark of trucks is ridiculous. the 5.7 is a powerhouse for sure but nobody knows how it will hold up in a working environment. The 6 speed tranny would be nice but it is also unproven. Toyota cant seem to get the trannys in the camry right so what makes anybody sure they will get it right on the tundra. The domestics have their share of problems no doubt but trucks are not one of them, sure toyota will steal sales from the big 3 but nissan will by far take the biggest hit. A recipe for a good truck is more than just squeeze the biggest engine you can under the hood. Ask nissan about that.True truck owners care less about 0-60, or 1/4 mile times. Im not a toyota fan by any stretch but im glad they finally came up with something competetive in the truck market, that just makes gm have to work that much harder to stay ahead, which means better and better trucks for everybody :shades:
  • "You know whats really funny is the import lovers that know absolutley nothing about trucks (and how would they since theyve never had one unless you count the titan) and now all of a sudden they are experts on the subject."

I for one never claimed to be an expert on trucks, and stated that in my previous post. I am also not an "import" lover. I have owned 7 trucks to date, all Chevy's and GMC's. This is my first Toyota, and I wouldn't call it an import. Chevy lost me, Toyota won me when I bought my wife an 05 Camry. Pure and simple.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    What if....

Like the prior poster the 'import lovers' have been driving Big 3 trucks forever... just waiting for a competitive Toyota to arrive.

What if...

After years and years of dissatisfaction these former detroiter-makde truck owners know far too much about trucks and recognize something special in this Tundra.

Do you think that these are Corolla buyers suddenly jumping into the Tundras. It's former GM/F/D owners that know what Toyota has done.
  • exactly spyder, well put.

This Tundra is one special truck, period.

And, guys that like trucks know that.

Hey, I'm 6' 1" and when I stand next to this Tundra, it is HUGE! I can barely reach over the side and get something small out of the bed!

I like that though, suits me just fine. Little guys will have a difficult time stealing something out of the bed of my truck, lol.

And, HOW ABOUT THAT TAILGATE, WOW!
    :D

When homers start calling out Toyota trucks on quality! How will a Toyota hold up? I wish there was some hereditary pattern that could shed some light on this freightening proposition?

Toyota trucks are never used for work. Never heard of such a thing!

DrFill :blush:
  • this is all new territory for this beast of a truck.new 5.7 engine,tranny 6 speed,the jury is still out.there will be some gliches in this truck,but time will tell.fuel gauge problems already in the 07 tundra!,as i said earlier i will sit back watch and learn from anxious new toyota owners.this is great for chevy, ford, maybe this will wake a sleeping giant.GOOD LUCK SPYDERMAN!
    When homers start calling out Toyota trucks on quality! How will a Toyota hold up? I wish there was some hereditary pattern that could shed some light on this freightening proposition?

I guess all those guys complaining about their camry 6 speed transmission problems are homers? Its really not hard to find that toyota has more than their share of quality problems lately it just involves taking ones head out the sand and looking around.

Toyota trucks are never used for work. Never heard of such a thing!

Im sorry I wasnt aware that there were previous generations of tundras haulin around 10000# how foolish of me :blush:
  • Do you really own a 07 Tundra ? Maybe you should read what the forum header says. If not, you shouldn't be posting here. There are plenty of forums for (GM) GARBAGE MOTORS and FOUND ON THE ROAD DEAD (FORD)
  • I stopped at a local Toyota dealer this weekend and put my $$ down for a DC 5.7. I think I have more knowledge than even most dealer people on what needs repairs. I do floorplan inventory inspections at auto dealers, which means I look at the inventory of ALL auto companies. I am on different dealer lots EVERY day. (Okay not Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, or the like.) After seeing and hearing what I hear there was NO way I was going to buy an "American" truck. F150s blow spark plugs like I blow my nose, and their "Super Dutys" can't seem to keep a tranny in them. I know Chevy sells more units than anyone else, but I see more Chevy pickups in for service than anything outside of Land Rover and Jaguar. I rarely see a Toyota or Honda engine being completely removed and replaced, I can't say the same for the "American 3" (Which when people say "Big 3", I hope they realize that Toyota is #2 in sales in the US and worldwide, so shouldn't it be the "Big 4"?) Styling is subjective, along with comfort, but the ONLY "American" truck I would even consider is a Dodge with the Cummins Diesel, and since I have no use for diesel...... Anyone who bashes the Toyota for being "junk or "crap" doesn't have an ounce of common sense. I have owned trucks from Ford and Chevy, but never again. Toyota is poised to take the world's #1 spot in 2007, and it is just a matter of time before it is in the US too.
  • very good andy. Start a thread for new Tundra owners and immediately the nay-sayers show up, bashing the truck, complaining that the jury is still out, etc.

It is not like Toyota woke up Monday morning and decided to build this truck and then put it together on Tuesday morning. They have been working on this truck for a very long time, and now it is ready.

will it have any problems? sure it will, all do. But some are acting like the motor and tranny will fall apart. You don't really think a company like Toyota put together a 5.7 motor and a 6 speed tranny haphazardly, do you?
    You don't really think a company like Toyota put together a 5.7 motor and a 6 speed tranny haphazardly, do you?

well do you really think a company like toyota would put together a v6 and a 6 speed tranny haphazardly? and for the record there is still no fix for these problems. And to be clear im not bashing the tundra it just dosent deserve to be placed on a pedestal, remember all the hoopla when the titan came out from all the import fans, where are they now?
    Do we need to go over the list of GM problems? I know you don't want to play the quality card against 'Yoda! Talk about a must-lose situation! :sick:

Even Toyota will have teething problems with new product.

But they'd have to have vehicles explode on ignition before they'd compare to Gm's shoddy record. :surprise:

Those who throw stones....

Gee, I thought pedestals were for the best in class?

DrFill
    Do we need to go over the list of GM problems? I know you don't want to play the quality card against 'Yoda! Talk about a must-lose situation!
    oh really? do we need to go over the list of recalls lately? not including toyotas hidden ones obviously, cause, well nobody knows how many of them there are since toyotas so sneaky about it. But they werent sneaky enough to fool them nascar offials now where they hahaha caught cheatin on their very first race that speaks volumes alone on the "toyota way"
  • dreasdaddreasdad Posts: 276
    This is the same wheel for the Landcuiser, you know, the one the UN drives out here in the desert.

Using this design increases torgue and side loading capacity. The bolts are larger and the spacing farther apart to cary the load better, has nothing to do with penny pinching.

And wildbill, take off the caps lock off, when you type in caps it means you are shouting and just makes youre posts more ridiculus
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    did you guys know that ex ford/jeep engineers spear-headed the design/engineering of the new tundra??

that means it can't be all that good, right?? :lol:
  • KEEP WATCHING FOR FUTURE UP DATES ON THE 6 SPEED 07 TUNDRA TRANNY.MONEY'S BURNING A HOLE IN THEIR POCKET!LIKE A BUNCH OF LITTLE SCHOOL GIRLS,GOT THE ITCH REALLY BAD.WATCH AND LEARN.
  • wake up! caps got your attention! thats what i wanted it to do .have a good day sir!
  • come on now wildbill, let's look at some facts here:

you are here on the "new tundra owners" thread chating back and forth. you are at heart very impressed with the new tundra (or you wouldn't be here), but you can't afford to get one so your only recourse is to start bashing the vehicle.

now you are actually hoping that something real bad goes wrong with the trucks so that you can say, "whew, glad I didn't get one".

your too easy to figure, and all the rest of you bashing the new tundra. you cant get one, so bash it. those of us that can get one have studied them and looked em over, test drove them, and determined they are what they are, great trucks.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Nissan cut corners in production and in the equipment needed to allow the Titan to do full-sized work.

There was no cutting corners here..
    .. the engine
    .. the tranny
    .. the rearend
    .. the safety features
    .. the braking system
    .. the towing capacity
    .. the carrying capacity
    All are either segment-leading, segment-only or right at the head of the class.

But you are right the market will speak its mind and the Tundra will find it's place.
  • beliasbelias Posts: 316
    Wow, I checked out this board to see Tundra owners and all I see now are GM/Ford/Dodge guys complaining about the Tundra that they DON'T own.
    For those feeling threatened somehow by the Tundra, by all means complain away (as is your natural right), but don't do it here, there are other forum boards to do it on. This area is for owners reporting on how their vehicle is doing, not for desparate, pathetic attempts to convince people to not get this truck. These people already have, so your voice adds nothing to the purchase result.
    And for the record, most of the people I know that are looking at this truck are current truck owners from Ford, Dodge, and GM. Like it was mentioned before, its not like people are moving from Corollas to Tundras. Truck buyers rarely change to something else, so if they do make a different move, it is usually laterally to another brand or to a newer version of whatever they currently have (assuming they're happy with their purchase).
  • ATTENTION FINALLY & SPYDERMAN I BET YOU GUYS ARE TOYOTA DEFENSE ATTORNEYS!OR TOYOTA CAR SALESMAN! THE ANALYSIS YOU USE IS WEAK.NO SIR,I PAY CASH FOR ALL OF MY NEW VEHICLES.LETS BACK UP A LITTLE BIT HERE MR.SALESMAN,ALL I SEE IS CHEVY,FORD, DODGE,& TITAN BASHING BY TOYOTA LOYALISTS OR TOYOTA SALES PEOPLE! THIS TRUCK,MOTOR,TRANS IS A NEW DESIGN,IT WILL HAVE SOME PROBLEMS AT FIRST.BUT I'AM SURE TOYOTA WILL ADAPT WELL.A GOOD FIRST STEP FOR TOYOTA IN THE BIG TRUCK MARKET.FACT:ALREADY FUEL DASH GAUGE PROBLEM IN 07 TUNDRA TRUCK,I KNOW TECH'S THAT WORK AT TOYOTA DEALERSHIPS.YOU CANNOT DENY THAT.HAPPY TRUCKING.P.S(CAPS) FOR MY FRIEND SPYDERMAN.HANG IN THERE SPYDERMAN.SEE YOU IN 6 MONTHS.