Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• What will 3hp matter anyway after the redesigned 07 comes out? ;)
    Nice plug though(forum rules?), too bad we all don't live near Phoenix.
  • I'm planning to replace my existing exhaust system on my 04 tundra double cab v8. i prefer a dual split side exit. any suggestion.thanks....
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,902
    Hi tundra04,
    This discussion is about the 2006 Tundra. You might have some luck on our Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board. There's a discussion about modifying exhaust systems, which might be helpful to you. You might also want to visit our Toyota Tundra discussion for current model years.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Does anyone have the 2006 with the DVD Nav system installed? I was wondering how well it worked, I am excited to get my truck and try that system out as well.
  • There was no drop in horsepower. Same engine with new SAE net ratings. This rating effects only Japanese cars.
  • as we know the next Tundra will be bigger than before. The other day I talked to my friend Tom who works for a Toyota dealership he said the next generation of Tundra will have either a 5.5 liter V8 or 6.0 V8. The heavy duty model he said will release in about 4 years. what Bull$#@!.
  • Ive heard the last couple of days that Toyota is going to show of their Tundra in the 2006 International Autoshow. I know for sure its going to have up to 5.2-5.6 liter engine.
    Horsepower will come from a V-TTI V8 engine. Ill bet you the 4.7 liter engine is going to be the basic engine.
    Anyway the Auto show is going to be from January 2, 2006-
    January 24, 2006. Im still looking for some Tickets to the show. Anyone know were I can get some cheap tickets? Reply back. Thanks!
  • Toyota will release a 5.7L V8 this year that will produce app. 390 HP . I work for the company in huntsville AL that will be building the engine.
  • Fishbound,you will definately be building me one.Do you know when they will be available? :)
  • Also, will it be larger in size than the tundra meaning the cab,bed and wheelbase?
  • I am not sure about the truck it is going in, the truck is being built in texas and we don't get much info on that. We will start full production on the engine Dec. 11 2006. i am not sure when they will be on the lots.
  • But if it won't be out until the First of next year, NY may see this action!

Hopefully, I can make it there.

390HP sounds good, and with the LS460 engine making 380HP and combined mid-20's economy, maybe they can pull 18/22 out of this stump-puller. 6-speed Auto?

DrFill
  • Hey Justin,

Yeah, I just bought a 2006 Tundra Limited V8 Doublecab with the DVD Nav system (Dec 30, 2005). I'm very happy with the truck and the DVD Nav system has worked very well for me. I think several of the strengths of the system are the Points of Interest (POI) database, the ability to choose from multiple routes (with graphical representations) if applicable, and finally the ability to add waypoints so that you can be guided to several points on the way to your final destination if so desired.

There is a limitation that is a bit annoying, though, but it is there for safety reasons. While the vehicle is moving, no one can input a destination for guidance (my inference here is not that *I* would want to do this while driving, but I might have a passenger who could). It's annoying to have to pull over to enter the destination, and so far I haven't found any way around this.

You posted this back in Oct, have you gotten yours yet?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    There is a solution for the problem of not being able to set destinations while in motion: Make the display so that it will swivel toward the passenger, and allow programming when it is in that position. This should satisfy the customers and the lawyers. Toyota, are you listening?
  • suedesuede Posts: 3
    Well the Tundra didn´t show up at NAIAS so when will it come? Does anyone think the car might have a version of the NASCAR-engine as an option? I understand you are aware of that Toyota is following the likes of Audi, BMW, Ford by developing engines using compacted graphite iron (CGI) for cylinder blocks. The Japanese vehicle manufacturer has, through its racing arm, developed a new lightweight CGI cylinder block for its 650hp 5.8-litre V8 gasoline engine, which has successfully been used by Toyota Racing Developments (TRD) in the Toyota Tundra pickups featuring in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series in 2005.
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Posts: 158
    Supposedly the Chicago Show next month.
  • serranotserranot Posts: 113
    From Chicago Auto Show's web site:

"Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. will stage the world premiere of the all-new 2007 Tundra full-size pickup truck at the 2006 Chicago Auto Show. The completely redesigned 2007 Tundra will be bigger, more powerful and will offer new body and engine configurations. This all-new Tundra will be built in America at both Toyota Motor Manufacturing in Indiana and the new San Antonio,Texas plants. Check back on Thursday, February 9, for the update information and photos."

Bring it on!

Tom
  • Good News for those of you with Nav systems who are locked out underway. You can fix it for free, but it only lasts til you switch the ignition off. Of course since it take about 10 seconds I just do it when I need it.

go to the Nav system volume page
    press the volume speaker icon in the upper left corner
    press the lower left corner of the screen
    press the volume speaker icon in the upper left again
    press the lower left corner again
    now a new screen should pop up with diagnositcs... ignore it all except for a button half way down the left side that says OVERRIDE... press and HOLD it until it beeps and changes color, about five seconds... then back out of all the menus.
    voila. NOW none of the buttons will shade grey when you are moving.

I understand there intent but sometimes the road is empty, or you are moving half a mile an hour, or your passenger could be putting in the info. Hell it even hides the phone numbers when you are moving! your wife can't even call and make a resevation! Still it is a very slick system already and I look forward to what the future brings.
  • New Camry and Lexus LS this month.

New Tundra and Lexus ES next month.

Interesting to see if ANY of the new LS tech can get into it. I never liked the wood between the steering wheel and the guages. I'll assume this will not be relived.

DrFill
  • I wonder if they will offer a double cab with a shorter bed. The current double cab tundra, which only has the full length bed, is quite long. Kind of tough to fit in the average garage.
  • max460max460 Posts: 25
    Prototypes of Toyota’s next generation Tundra pick-up are currently undergoing last cold weather testing in North America before the new model’s launch at the 2006 Chicago Motor Show.

The Tundra came first on the market in 1999, and the new model to come will be an all new vehicle. The 2007 Tundra will be bigger, more powerful and will offer new styling and engine configurations. This all-new Tundra will be built in America at both Toyota Motor Manufacturing in Indiana and the new San Antonio,Texas plants.
  • I think one can "bet the ranch" that the 07' Tundra will BLOW AWAY truck enthusiasts. BIGGER, BETTER, and MAJOR HORSEPOWER.
  • This will be a great truck, but i'm not expecting much more than 300hp/400+ft/lbs tq...would love to be wrong about this and can't wait to see the diesel version either :)

None the less i see them doing well, but not taking away much market share from ford (and who gives a [non-permissible content removed]..besides ford & toyota od course)
  • Hood is pretty high, proportionate.

So far, so good.

DrFill
  • And grille shares Tacoma traits.

Will it be BIGGER than Dodge Ram and R-150?

That seems pretty credible to me.

DrFill
  • I think the Tundra will resemble that of its smaller brother the Tacoma. They will both look very similar like the Nissan Titan and Nissan Frontier.
  • toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    If you're not expecting much more than 300hp, I think you will be surprised! ;)
  • As stated previously the engine will be a 5.7L with app. 390HP. This engine will be built in Huntsville Alabama at the Toyota Plant.