Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• abcanuckabcanuck Posts: 4
    Thanks wildbill! Yes, I was referring to #784 jaymck1979 bed denting. I really would like to see/confirm the gauge of steel in the Tundra and compare to the big 3. I have a Duramax and a gas 2500 now but getting beat up by the depreciation for new ones. BYW a car hit me at 60 MPH in the right rear quarter of a rented Land Cruiser (stopped) and absolutely destroyed the front clip of the car (actually remove half of it). The LC had the rear axle bent, the side window blown and fender was damaged badly but still there.. that's all!
  • don't know the gauge of steel, but the tundra has a double lined bed.
  • I recently had a LINE-X bedliner sprayed on to my new 2007 Tundra Double Cab Standard Bed. I was very impressed by the installation process and the quality of the product so I thought I would share a lot of my info and photos to help others that may be considering LINE-X for their trucks.

The following link brings up my article which explains the installation process and includes 44 photos of my truck before the install, during prep work, in the spraying area, and after the install was completed.

http://www.pinemountainfirearms.com/pmf/line-x-tundra/linex-2007-tundra.htm

This should help any of you that are looking for more detailed LINE-X info like I was a few weeks ago. It is a tough decision to have your factory new and nearly perfect truck scuffed up so that a permanent liner can be sprayed on, but now that it is done I am very satisfied and glad that I did it. Enjoy.
  • excellent wilee! I have had 3 trucks line-xed, but the job they did for you is by far the best i have seen. when i take my tundra in, i will carry photos of yours with and use as example when cutting the deal. "i want mine exactly like this".

I especially like how they took the time to remove the bed bolts and tie-down loops prior to spraying. the finished product look so much better with the bedbolts and tie-down loops NOT sprayed. :shades:
  • Yeah, I was initially unsure about him removing all the bolts and tie-downs before spraying but he said it would look a lot better so I trusted his judgement. He has sprayed thousands of trucks so I figured he knows what he is doing.

Now I am glad that I listened to him since it does look better and those parts can be removed or replaced without affecting the liner. He also said if I didn't like the look later then I could always tape them off and spray them with black undercoating material or take it back in and he would cover them with LINE-X for me.

I am going to leave them alone because they look better and I plan to put a hard multi-section removable lid on the bed as soon as I find the right product in stock. I just hope I can find a bed lid that allows me to keep the top plastic rail covers and bed rails installed.

Has anyone seen any good lids in stock for the 2007 Tundra yet? I want a multi-section removable hard cover so it can be partially or completely removed by one person with the sections stored in the bed while in transit if needed. It also has to be lockable and preferably strong enough to withstand strong winds or moderate weight on top of the cover.
  • cbuellgocbuellgo Posts: 12
    I Would really Check out the roll up tops (Jack Rabbit) On cabela's site before buying any other tonneau. Have had others but not that one. They don't list it for 07 but check them out! Pace Edwards looks like the Manufacture? I elected to go back to the canopy having sonar and a Camera I hope not to hit anything backing up! I should have a new Leer In two weeks, Wish I could have seen one on A 07 before Ordering.
  • I have a new 2007 Tundra DoubleCab 5.7 L V8. It has 800 miles on it and runs like a dream. When the truck hasn't been used for an hour or more and I first start it up there is no unusual noise. When I move it into drive and give it some gas it goes through 1st gear just fine. When it shifts to 2nd gear around 15 mph I hear a brief metallic clanking noise which sounds like it is coming from under the front half of the truck, possibly up between the front wheels but it is hard to tell. I suspect it is in the center of the vehicle since my wife said it sounds like it is on my side and to me it sounds like it is on her side. After this noise the truck runs and shifts great and the noise never recurs even when stopping / starting out from red lights, slow or fast acceleration, manual shifting, etc. If I turn the truck off briefly in park and restart it still doesn't seem to do it, but it if I let it sit for some time (seems like an hour or so) then it happens again. I first thought maybe it is from the engine or transmission being physically cold but sometimes the water and transmission gauges still show some heat on them when I start up and it happens again. This could be a normal noise but it sure doesn't sound normal. I have it in 2WD the entire time. Any ideas before I run it back down to the dealer in a panic and waste another day of vacation time for something that could turn out to be nothing? :)
  • lkcohen1lkcohen1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 tundra with a navigational system and bluetooth phone. At first I was able to connect my treo 700p PDA/phone with the blue tooth phone on the car. It was great! I could talk to people hands free. Unfortunately, after two weeks, the phone and the car stop communicating with each other by bluetooth. Has anybody experienced this problem?? :sick:
  • My bluetooth still works fine after several weeks. Most likely your PDA has lost the pairing which enables it to communicate with the vehicle. Try deleting the vehicle profile from your PDA bluetooth settings then follow the instructions in the Tundra manual to pair your PDA with the truck again as a new device and see what happens. Also, if you press the Info key while the vehicle is stopped then you can go into the Phone menu and make sure the Auto Connect feature is still enabled, and attempt to manually connect for testing.

Good luck.
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    could be the anti-lock brakes going through a normal self check? i've had several vehicles that made a similar noise at low speed...and usually only after the vehicle has sat for a bit...my 2 cents.
  • Sometimes there are tricks in order to be able to watch a dvd while the vehicle is in motion. I know that the factory doesn't make them that way for a reason, and I know that it is unsafe and illegal, but does anybody know how to do it.

I know that in my dad's old CTS V, he was able to figure it out by pushing a series of buttons or something. :confuse:
  • wilee, have you figured out what the deal was with your truck? :confuse:
  • I never found the source of the metallic noise yet. I have listened carefully over the past week or so and it might not be happening when the truck shifts from 1st to 2nd, it could be when it goes from 2nd to 3rd, but it is definitely between 10-25 mph. It does it every time the vehicle has been sitting in park for more than 30 minutes or so, but if I start it up after a short break the noise doesn't happen. It also never happens after the initial time no matter how warm or cold the truck is. I tried all the modes of the VSC switch and this had no effect. I plan to take it back in to the dealer just to be sure but I live far from the dealer and I can't afford the time off from work right now. :(
  • dreasdaddreasdad Posts: 276
    Here one for the forum, Tundra is thought to be a 1/2 ton yet when the MSO come in they state 3/4 ton.

Is Toyota identify them wrong or is it a 3/4 ton

And what makes a truck a 1/2 or a 3/4 ton?
  • doggboysdoggboys Posts: 17
    I'm not sure what makes it a 1/2 or 3/4 ton but I noticed the same thing. Hopefully it won't make the registration fees or insurance go up. By the way, has anyone heard of a TRD exhaust for the '07 yet?
  • a47chucka47chuck Posts: 15
    Had my TRD exhaust installed yesterday. Sounds good, looks good and not too loud. Your dealer should be able to order it and have it in a couple of days ... 'bout two hours to install.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    Unfortunately, marketing has blurred those former distinctions to the point they don't mean much. You can now get an F150 rated higher (8200 GVWR) than the old F250 (7700). But because consumers perceive the "1/2 ton" as the more family-friendly vehicle, the manufacturers advertise them as such to get Joe Homeowner and not just Joe Contractor.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• doggboysdoggboys Posts: 17
    Thanks for the info, I will call the dealer on Monday and see what there price is.
  • TRD exhaust? Please explain what you are talking about, and about what it cost. I have a TRD coming in and may be interested in modifying the exhaust.
  • hmmmm, good point. I never thought of it like that.

Anyway, I really hope I can get away with calling the new tundra a half ton. I know for sure that with my insurance company, a 3/4 ton will cost more to insure than a half (just like a 4x4 is more to insure than a 4x2). I would imagine that if I claim it to be a half-ton, then my insurance company will accept it since I do all transactions via the telephone.

don't know though. time will tell. when i insure my tundra i will follow up in this forum whether I insured it at half or 3/4 ton premium.