Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• I have the 5.7 4x2 DC and I can honestly say that I have gathered enough data to conclude that I get avg 17 mpg in the city (Orlando) and 20 mpg on the HWY (from Orlando to Atlanta on several trips.)
  • Anyone with the 5.7L 4x2 DC 6A using the 5 speed thumb manual shifting ("S" rather than "D") ? Any differences noticed ? i.e. in gas mileage for plain ole city driving ? any differences in low torque pulling ?
  • I recently flew to Denver on business. I noticed that the Enterprise/Alamo car rental lot has many new SR5 5.7 Tundras in their lot. I also noticed that the long highway leading to and around the airport from Denver is the concrete/expansion joint type that so many are complaining about bed bounce and a terrible ride on.
    I already had another car reserved and didn't have time to change my rental to a Tundra but I think that anyone going there or that lives in that area could probably rent one to drive on that road and see the results if they would like to prior to buying. I would be interested in hearing the results.
    I pick up my new Tundra today and am very exited. It is one awesome truck and fortunately we don't have those road surfaces here in Fl. for the most part. However this bed bounce issue bothers me greatly and I hope they come up with a fix for it soon. From what I can gather It seems to be very specific relative to road surface, speed and load. I expect that it's a harmonic frequency issue that could be solved or at least minimized relatively easily.
  • I'd be willing to bet there is a harmonic frequency for every pickup out there. As long as the bed is a seperate entity from the cab, there will always be a resonant frequency between the two unequal masses. That is where trucks like the Ridgeline and the Avalanche have the advantage of a unibody construction.
  • picked up my 07'd/c limited 4x4 on 2/16/07 in tulsa ok. drove it to the house loaded it up and headed for a pipeline project in upper michican..Truck was broke in on the interstates and was happy with the gas milage of 17.6.I have had it in snow and mud over the running and have not been stuck yet, only one on the crew that has not had to be towed. I have been in 4x4 since 1974, and a truck is a tool for me, and i use it as one. Can not find anything i don't like about it yet. Have been a ford man all my life, but will never go back. Has anyone added duel exhaust to one yet or a lift kit ? Will check next week or so at my 20,000 service.Anyone thinking about one I feel you can't go wrong.
  • I have the double cab 5.7 and pull a 30 ft zepelyn travel trailer and it is great. I get 12 to 13 M.P.G. pulling and 17 around town if I keep from getting on it. I have gotten 20.6 on the highway from michigan to ohio. I love the truck and won't have anything but. My only complaint is the remote start is junk, If I am not within 30 feet of the truck it doesn't work. I have about 6500 miles on it. I love the sound of the TRD dual exhaust.
  • You mentioned adding a dual exhaust and lift kit. Would this effect the warranty ? If not, I wait for the next three years until its over to start modifying it.
  • In general we like our 07 DC 5.7 Tundra. Most of our driving has been on secondary highways at 55 to 60 MPH with 30 mile round trips to the same place. We consistantly get 20.5 to 21 MPG. That is a fact! I run 38 PSI cold, use Chevron regular and drive in a normal fashion. Under the same conditions my Hemi RC gave 15 MPG. This shows what they can do with new technology. Toyota does immediately need to address some issues. In bright sunlight with sunglasses I can not read the instruments which is no fault of mine. I have taken it to the dealer and they informed me the truck is normal and they do not have a fix yet. I consider this a safety issue that should be corrected immediately. An irritating design of the hood where it slants down near the windshield all the way accross, causes the sun to reflect back into your eyes at certain sun angles. I know the sun shines bright in Texas. Why didnt the Toyota test engineers see these design flaws before production started?
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Safe, or a problem Toyota needs to address? If you can't see with sunglasses, take them off! :mad:

Are you saying the hood is lower in the back than at the front?

I've sold and driven dozens of Tundras, and never experienced a sun glare from the hood.

Dealer probably thought you were a kook. :confuse:

DrFill
  • Dr (land)Fill,

Why must you attack a guy for posting his opinions on his new truck?

I have heard that the instrument cluster has been an issue from several owners on multiple Toyota forums. They are hard to read in bright daylight. So one should take off his sunglasses on a bright sunny day in order to see his instruments? Yeah, that makes sense. Glare from the hood can be a nuisance and possibly even a driving hazard, these types of things should be considered by test engineers. Just because YOU have not experienced it, means it does not/cannot exist?
  • It is well known among 07 Tundra owners, like myself, that even with the instrument lights turned up full bright the daytime legibility is marginal. The instrument faces are designed inside a tunnel, so not enough light makes it in to see the smaller gauges. Overall a great truck, but the instrument visibility in daylight is a boo-boo.
    If you are wearing sunglasses, you are compromising your own vision, which Toyota doesn't need to account for.

The sun can glare from hundreds of different angles. He said the hood was a problem, not the dashboard, which would be a first.

But if the guages aren't bright enough, you can have stronger bulbs put in aftermarket. Any color you want.

Visors are there to keep sun out of your eyes. Glasses just lower your vision. :confuse:

DrFill
  • Only a salesman would suggest an aftermarket fix to solve a design problem. Other than no illumination on the door panel switches except the driver's window switch, the 07 Tundra interior is great at night. Brighter bulbs would upset the balance between instrument and center cluster lights at night. More range on the high end of the rheostat might help in the daytime, but the better fix is to simply eliminate the tunnels that house the gauges. Takes a design change to fix a design flaw, not an aftermarket band-aid.
    So when the sun is behind you, or on the side, the guages don't wash out.

I'm not a salesman, and there will always be someone who has a problem with the guages, or someone wearing shades while driving.

I was always partial to a bright white or blue guage cluster.

Nobody's perfect. :(

DrFill
  • "I've sold and driven dozens of Tundras, and never experienced a sun glare from the hood."

"I'm not a salesman.... "

Huh????
  • "If you are wearing sunglasses, you are compromising your own vision, which Toyota doesn't need to account for."

So, I am supposed to drive in bright sunlight, or into a setting/rising sun without sunglasses so I do not compromise my vision? Think about this for a second and then tell me this is not a ridiculous statement.

"But if the guages aren't bright enough, you can have stronger bulbs put in aftermarket. Any color you want."

What do the bulbs have to do with it? They are not on during the daytime??? I beleive that is when this is an issue, not at night.
    How often, really, are you driving directly into a rising or setting sun, where a vizor can't help you?

Less than 5% of the time you drive!

If the sun is that low, the interior is still dark enough to see the guages without worrying about glare.

If you drive without shades. :blush:

My 20/10 vision notwithstanding. Many people are close to blind, and drive as such, so to each his own. :P

DrFill
  • Why is it so hard for you to admit that Toyota made a boo-boo? Actually, from what I have heard the Sierra/Yukon Denali's have a unique guage cluster and have a similar issue. I have not seen it, but I certainly would not try to deny it if I saw it.

Oh, and alot of people drive east in the morning and at some point during the year are driving into the sun, same with driving west in the evening, especially in early/late winter when the sun sets during rush hour. What's so difficult to understand here? The visor only helps when the sun is high enough. I personally drive with sunglasses on even when it's cloudy, I am a bit light-sensitive. That is also why I tinted my front door windows.
    Anybody can find a problem that happens 5% of the time, and make an issue out of it.

I guess ever car has the same problem. So is it really the car? I don't think so. But whatever makes you sleep at night.

Forget Social Security! We have a real crisis on our hands!

If the sun hits my car just right, I can't see.

Toyota! Get to work! And take care of that Social Security thing, while you're under thur! That's why I pulled into "Full Serve":mad:

DrFill
  • 5%, where did that number come from? Your @ss?

Never said it was a crisis, just a simple little issue that Toyota overlooked. But you, like most Toyota fans simply cannot admit that a Toyota is capable of a flaw.
  • hahahah... damn some of these toyota guys are sens-a-tive. come on fill, everyone knows the gauges are a design flaw. I'll bet you $20 the 2008 Tundra has a redesigned instrument cluster. Geeze man come on just admit it was a small design flaw. All trucks got something. I'm supposed to take off my SUN-glasses when it's sunny just to see my dash? Are you serious? Damn dude u got it bad...
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    An owner can make a comment about their experience without having others jump down their throats. Just because you don't experience the same effects doesn't mean the other person is wrong.

DrFill, lighten up.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Gents. :shades:

Pressing on.

DrFill
  • I currently have a 2000 Chevy Silverado extended cab p/u truck which has 186000 miles and still going strong without any problems other than a water pump and fuel sensor to date. But I like the new double cab tundra pick up trucks and was wondering how they are performing, what type of gas mileage are the 5.7 L delivering, and how are the beds holding up after using the truck for work? Thank you!!
    taken a nasty turn. :sick:

DrFill
  • You're right ---this could be and should be a useful forum. If it's true in that some people that work or have worked for the big three are posting bad remarks on here, they just need to be overlooked. I would be peeved too if I lost my job to some "foriegn" auto maker. Eventhough the truck is made in Texas (btw--is that part of the USA :))it's profits still go overseas. I have been pro-union and still am pro-union and pro- made in the USA for many years----!!!!!buttt!!!!----those guys have screwed themselves. The quality of the big three has been going down hill for a long time and it's the worker that did it, nobody else. It's called a work ethic-----if they were to care enough about thier job to turn out a good quality vehicle they wouldn't have to worry about the forien guy. I wanted to buy American but honestly I was afraid of the quality. Chevy and Ford are nice but I think the Toyota will last longer -----and for all those complaints about the Toyota Tundra that I've been reading -------so far I've had NONE of them (except a little drive line slop for want of a better term) that is betting beeter as I drive it. Oh--and by the way---I know what a truck is suppose to do as I drove the kind that bend in the middle and go pshhh - pshhhh when you press the brake-----I didn't sell 'em ---I drove them--- and I think after forty years of driving them I know a good truck when I see it.
  • mmm... the sound of a salesman/dealer who adds-on to the invoice his own $2,500 fertilizer aroma enhancer attachment that will cover the smell of the salesman's bullcrap... the sound of a sales pitch that will convince everyone that their vision is warped and heir salesman's vision is the only true vision to be relied upon. We should all stand corrected and realize that the perfect truck has been built and no improvements will ever be needed for the Tundra. (oh except for the after-market bulbs of course)
  • You know Filly----there's always room for improvement----your attitude could use some too! It's pretty obvious that Toyota is trying to get into the big truck market and for it's first endeavor it's done pretty well. All the sour grapes won't change that! The experiences of owners, that I know, of all the Toyota smaller trucks from previous years, including the midsize truck from the last few years has been outstanding. Nothing is perfect-----but it's refreshing to see somebody trying. I've been using the hell out of my Tundra----pulling a boat, hauling wood, four wheeling on old forest roads and the sand dunes where I live and nothing has stopped it yet. Now that's not saying the the big three's vehicles wouldn't or couldn't do that ----but----which one will last the longest without repairs? The jury is still out--------------
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    ...of really unnecessary posts were sent to the trash heap.

Look at the top... it says "2007 Toyota Tundra New Owners Reports", not "Come Here to Bash the Tundra". If you don't have a constructive answer for someone's legitimate question, find a new sandbox because the off-topic junk is going to get some of you shown the door. Understood?

kcram - Pickups Host
  • eric102eric102 Posts: 122
    Thanks kcram, that was getting a bit silly.