Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Agreed. If the Toyota rep is able to establish that all the Tundras exhibit this noise on start up and that it doesn't affect the longevity of the engine by testimony of Toyota engineers, the arbitrator would have no option as to rule in favor of Toyota. No proof other than it makes noise on startup would be a basis for replacing a truck. Especially if while on the lot other Tundras are started and exhibit the same noise.
  • my messages started at message 1781 and the engine noise is not the only issue.and by the way the lifte noise never went away. They have put a left front wheel bearing, AV axle, codes on the anti slip and a differential in the truck The new differential striped gears and they had to put another differential in a week later. The codes are a recurring problem that they cannot fix, YET
  • toddhmtoddhm Posts: 35
    Has anyone seen the Red Rock interior? What is the "LB21" interior color?
  • I've had a chance to see the redrock interior on the dark blue exterior and it is nice but, the color is a bit orange. Sand seems better. Just my opinion though.
  • Seems like I am having the same problem. When I start up my 5.7. I get this slight "knock", but after a few minutes it goes away. I took it to the dealer, they told me they didn't hear anything....looks like I'll be going back!!!
  • I have a Black CM LTD with the Red Rock. It looks great - Everyone that see's it thinks it looks like something you would find in a luxury vehicle. What's also nice is the fact you get black carpet, which you need in a truck.
  • mfhallmfhall Posts: 22
    Red Rock looks GREAT! I have it with the Slate ext.
  • 08"s have the same "bounce" as the 07"s :sick:
  • My 07 crewmax with the 5.7 started knocking at about 4,000 miles at startup then continued to knock after warmup.Factory rep approved a complete engine replacement at 5300 miles.I now have 600 miles on new engine so the jury is still out.My dealership has replaced two other engines so far.
  • I posted message 1693 back in Oct. about my experience with the new Tundra. My impressions then were very positive. Review it if you like, it gives some of my experience with pick-ups over the years. Since then, I've had the opportunity to do some more hauling and 8000# towing with the Tundra.
    I still can not say say anything but good things about this truck. Not only does it do a great job of moving me and passengers from "A to B", it is extraordinary in it's working ability too. I've had over a ton in the bed on several occasions. It handled it great, did not compress beyond level and rode like a Caddi. In addition, about a half ton was rested on the tailgate while loading to re-position the forklift. The tailgate did not show any signs of failure. I know the load was a little over the rating but I didn't even know it until I did the math on 28 80# bags of concrete.
    It towed equally well. I live in FL. so the towing was mostly flat but it did every bit as good, if not better than my 02 diesel F250 Superduty that I traded in on the Tundra. Super power under load,great road manners and excellent on the boat ramp pull out too.
    I have not experienced any of the negatives that I've read about on the internet. The truck is not perfect, but my complaints are minor and by far the best truck I've ever owned so far. Excuse me if I brag a little.
  • kl67kl67 Posts: 15
    I have a 5.7 that is making a lot of noise...I am very curious to what they found when they went into your top end? Please let us know...
    Could you please email me at wingnutfe@yahoo.com, I have the same 07 Tundra 5.7 "KNOCK" not lifter "tick" that you seem to have had. I have taken it to the dealer, 1st time they told me it was normal lifter noise and when you stand outside the truck it does sound like lifters. The sound I am hearing inside the truck at all temps is a knock, most profound at low idle speed with the truck in gear, but can be heard shifting through 3rd gear or until wind noise drowns it out. When temp is below 40F the engine sounds worse than a diesel engine when accelerating onto a hwy. I have taken it to the dealer again and they are waiting on tech support to call them back. This knock started at about 10K and I now have 17K on the truck. I am asking you to email me so I may get more info to show my dealer that Toyota has recognized there is a problem and I don't get the "its normal" answer.

Thanks KL67
  • The lifter noise was excessive and they totally replaced the engine. Now I have 1900 miles on the new engine and it is starting to make lifter noise. I am going to wait to see if it corrects itself before I complain about it....
    Could you please email me at wingnutfeyahoo.com, I have the same 07 Tundra 5.7 "KNOCK" not lifter "tick" that you seem to have had. I have taken it to the dealer, 1st time they told me it was normal lifter noise and when you stand outside the truck it does sound like lifters. The sound I am hearing inside the truck at all temps is a knock, most profound at low idle speed with the truck in gear, but can be heard shifting through 3rd gear or until wind noise drowns it out. When temp is below 40F the engine sounds worse than a diesel engine when accelerating onto a hwy. I have taken it to the dealer again and they are waiting on tech support to call them back. This knock started at about 10K and I now have 17K on the truck. I am asking you to email me so I may get more info to show my dealer that Toyota has recognized there is a problem and I don't get the "its normal" answer.

Thanks KL67
  • My 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 is very noisey in the morning and all the dealer will say is that it is normal. I have really written the issue off because ths is a 3 year lease and will trade it in then on a new model-as long as the noise has been corrected.
  • rlaryrlary Posts: 18
    I have an 08 tundra grade dble cab 5.7. Just got it. Has just over 100 miles.
    Have the same concerns on the engine rap that I hear on start up and beyond.
    My 05 4.7 did it a little bit on cold morning start ups but this sounds like a diesel engine. Im very concerned. I never completly goes away and today, with temps in the teens it was very audible for the few miles I drove.
    Would like to hear more on other peoples situations and/or action taken.
  • At 21900 miles toyota replaced my engine as the lifter noise never ceased. The new engine now has lifter noise and all I can do is wait to see if the noise continues. This is a ongoing problem with the 5.7 V-8 and they will eventually admit it. I have retained a lemon law attorney as my problem is not just the engine, but replacements of Left front wheel bearing, AV axle, 2 Diffrentials and code problems.. I will post my progress...
  • rlaryrlary Posts: 18
    Wow, thats a shame. Not left with many choices for reliable trucks if Toyota can't pull it off. I hope your luck improves.
    My 07 5.7 has 18K on it, started making the noise of concern about 10K. Two trips to the dealer for this noise and toyota tech line is saying that they are working on it but it is not a safety concern!!! My noise is more than lifters, it is a knock, most profound with the doors shut and the truck in gear at low idle speed. Knocks through about 3rd gear or until ambient noise drowns it out. Also can be distinctly heard with the driver door open sitting still with the truck at low idle, like the knock is coming out of the lower end of the motor rather than lifters on the top end.

I put a call into customer care and just spoke with the customer relations manager from the local dealer here. I told him my concern is not weather or not it is safe but that fact that I didn't buy a noisy truck so why would I want to drive one now? I told him that I bought this truck because of Toyota's reputation for quality and the poor quality that I had experienced with Ford and Dodge.

I not only refuse to drive a "knocker" but what does Toyota think this does to the resale value of my truck? I would not have purchased it if it knocked when I test drove it...should I expect someone to overlook it when I try to sell it?

I will give them a little more time to correct the problem but if I don't get resolution then I will explore my options.
  • I have an 07' 5.7 limited with the 6-spd auto and 35K miles. I've had no problems with the motor at all since new running mobil 1 5w-20 every 10K. My only concern before mine drops off warranty, is that occasionally after a long drive if i put the transmission in park and then put it back into drive, it shudders a couple of times before the truck moves normally. I haven't had any other problems with the transmission, but that shudder when its hot has me concerned. Has anyone else experienced this, and got any feedback from the dealer or tech support for this? My dealer says that the shudder is normal, but I don't believe it...