Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• sc_mikesc_mike Posts: 5
    My wife only got 128k miles from her Avalon. Then we sold it to her niece and she has only gotten another 60k out of it. I sure hope it gets her back from school today. Dang muffler had to be replaced at 140k too.....
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Dang muffler had to be replaced at 140k too.....

what do you expect when you drive it on the beach through seawater...sheesh. Did you have 4 Lo engaged? ( Button in the glove box )
  • This truck looks great. This is more like it. For years Toyota never even came near a true Fullsize truck. Finally they have proved themselves to me. I can't wait to see this truck next year.I have a 2005 Tacoma and I am looking to trade it in for a fullsize truck and the Tundra is what I want so far. We will see next summer which truck lands on the top of my list.(Maybe 2007 Silverado).
  • Easy there wild cat! I've owned them all, Ford, Chevy, ect ect... and have visited to many a Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Toyo truck forums on the web to see all have there share of issues... some more than others (hence, the domestic versus Japanese reliability battles)... believe it or not, Your Brand loyalty is showing! :surprise: I currently own a Toyo Seq. and Dodge mega cab... love em both but for different reasons. Has the Seq been bullet proof? No, it's been back to the shop 2x.. (the dodge, not yet). The Toyo has the infamous rear window motor failure(s). First the dealer says it was a "computer malfunction"...sure I said, see you soon for a new motor, .... 1 week later I'm back at the dealer getting a new motor (oh, by the way, it's a 2005 Seq... so how often does a rear window get rolled down in 1.5 years). Anyhow, does that make the Seq bad? No. But all vehicles, to include toyo have some issues, some more than others. It all depends on what your needs are. Will I buy another Toyo, for reliability, you bet! Did my Ford powerstroke have Freight train power over any powerplant Toyo puts out? You bet! Is the "new" Dodge Ram megcab absolutely huge, with an awesome powerplant in the Hemi, with an all new interior that's plush! you bet! (take a test drive for fun,they've come along way). But if you buy for resale, go Toyo. But if you tow, the Toyo's aren't even in the same yard as the domestics, with a towing capacity at 6,500lbs, that's pretty anemic by today's V-8 standards... Wait, before you think it, yes, If the 2007 Tundra has the numbers I've seen (380hp, 10,000+ towing), it'll give the domestics a run for their money, but don't discount the infamous "first year bugs" on your darling Toyo... Check the numbers, Toyo's recalls and TSB's have gone up exponentionally with their increased sales... just a fact, the more you build, the more potential problems...(ie: Ford/Chevy outsells F-150 to Tundra, say what? 5-7 to 1 or more). so they see more TSB's and recalls. Bottom line, would I buy another Toyo for longevitey, you bet! But nothing, not even the "new Tundra will haul back seat passengers like my megacab. Trust me, I really researched the "new" Tundra hard, while bigger that previous editions, it didn't beat out the megacab in cab space...(and yes, it has sun roof, DVD, ect ect)... Again, it's all in what you need.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    with your Mega Cab? No one has even seen the largest 07 Tundra cab configuration yet.

It is impossible to research it "hard" as you say with so little info available as of yet. ???
  • True as far as physical inspection... there's still enough info out there online on the 07's to get a pretty good idea as to what the cab interior styling/size will be... (obviously the powertrain numbers are not in stone, but some of the numbers being discussed are pretty impressive). I wouldn't base a decision without first driving one.. Not here to sell someone a Dodge, just suggesting one make his/her decision on what your needs are and go from there... just keep in mind the 1st year bugs... ie: look at the 2000-2003 Honda/Acura transmission issues on th 5 spd.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    the largest Tundra cab size to be? Just curious if you had sources I had not seen yet.

And, yes, I agree that the first year bugs are sure to infest this truck -- hopefully in only a minor way.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,674
    there's still enough info out there online on the 07's to get a pretty good idea as to what the cab interior styling/size will be...

Maybe, maybe not. The '07 Tundra that has been shown so far is the replacement for the extended cab model, not the double cab. That means what we've seen to date is Toyota's answer to the Ram Quad Cab—which means a larger still (Mega Cab size?) crew cab has yet to be shown.

Bob
  • "That means what we've seen to date is Toyota's answer to the Ram Quad Cab—which means a larger still (Mega Cab size?) crew cab has yet to be shown. "......

which won't come out with the initial 07's... some time later in 07 the large cabs will come.... it'll be fun to watch and see
  • nelson10nelson10 Posts: 4
    I've seen a few pics on the 07' Tundra and from the front it looks a bit like the dodge ram. If you're considering an 07' Silverado, take a look at a pic on Izoom.com
  • supr88supr88 Posts: 1
    i live in the torrance area and i have dirven next to two 2007 tundra's. They both have the stealth pading on them and are followed by a few other toyota cars. i took a picture of them on my camera phone but only rear views. I drive an 1986 toyota supra and these tundras are larger then any toyota trucks i have seen. ill keep you posted if i see them again :)
  • bronco7bronco7 Posts: 1
    There are going to be 31 different config of the new tundra, the launch on this new truck is going to bigger then when the introed LEXUS. Stand by you non believers, and your mega cab will need some new ponies to out pull it. So keep your research eng reving. As for bugs, i would not buy a DOG in mean :lemon: DOUGE in any year.
  • wulffman1wulffman1 Posts: 16
    As each month goes by I become more impatient waiting at least for some more spy pics (undisguised) of the new truck and its sister Sequoia, besides the electric blue pics from the Chicago auto show of the Tundra which doesn't do much for picturing it in a normal everyday situation, like in a driveway next to my 4Runner.... Why is it they manage to do such a good job hiding it when we some manufacturers almost intentionally let them get spied over a year before release. I guess Toyota doesn't need to tease us, we just stay interested and wait in anticipation.
  • I'm in the market for a truck, so I'm interested in all the latest. I saw the Chicago display. Pretty cool looking truck, but I'm not sure why all the fawning over it. For example, much is being said about it being able to tow 10,000 lbs. Chevy and Ford (2500/250) tow 12,500; the 1500 tows 10,000 with a 6.0L. Don't know about Dodge. So what's the big deal? The new "big" engine takes it into the low range of the others, and their 4.7L is on the small side already, so it will be interesting to see what the actual payload/trailer torque/hp specs are. And that's my point. Look at the specs instead of the hype and there's not as much there.

Some of the Toyota advantages are leaving. It has been the only truck with a Navigation system, for example, but that changes for 07 with Chevy offering one in their re-design. Both Chevy and Ford are hyping their FFV vehicles (and it IS hype, I think, considering the scarcity of E85), yet Toyota doesn't offer the option. I think their interiors are really great. Hopefully that will not change.

Today's Tundra (06) tows 6900 with a payload in the 1500lb range with a 4.7L engine. That's very respectable and as long as you're not going for a giant 5th wheel, it does the job fine. I wonder if Toyota may be giving up this particular niche where it competes fine with 150/1500. But if they're pretending to compete with the 250/2500 they are not quite there, despite their extra ten inches and the steroid look. All that means is that it may be too big to fit in my garage.

What would REALLY be breathtaking is if Toyota took their hybrid technology and made it work with a truck. Think of it: a full-sized truck that got more than 18 mpg! I'm not sure it would work, but I know that would turn some heads.

(BTW, I'm not anti-Toyota at all. I had an old chevy that fell apart, and a Ranger that bounces me around the road. My last five cars have all been Acuras.)
    New Tundra is still a 1/2-ton, so no it won't compare with the domestic 3/4-ton models. They've got a 3/4-ton on the drawing board though.

Bo
  • Can anyone explain in short paragraph to me why payload ratings are so low in the US -3/4 ton in massive truck? In south africa a compact 1.3litre fwd recreational type pickup is rated to 3/4ton, with a 1 ton pickups being such vehicles as the Isuzu, Toyota Hilux, Nissan Frontier, Ford Ranger (the only full size available is a recently reintroduced F250 in bare bones spec). SA pickups are considered 'compact' in the USA, while in SA a 4 cylinder petrol and diesel engines are the norm, biggest on offer in these trucks being a V6. Additionally we used to tow a 1.7ton horsebox with my 5cylinder 2.6litre VW Van, and I though it went quite well!!
  • One reason may be that the so-called "rating" is very misleading in the US, anyway. Example is a Chevy 1500 Silverado rated as a 1/2 ton. But it's payload is 1575, over 3/4 of a ton. The 2500HD, rated a 3/4 ton pickup, has a payload of 3802, which is just shy of 2 tons. The 350, rated as a one-ton, rates between 5600-5800, just shy of three tons. I just pulled these numbers right from the brochures. They're different for a 4x4 or this box or that box, but it's basically the same issue. Ford does the same thing. The 06 Tundra ranges from 1265 (Limited Access Stepside) to 2025 (Regular Cab V8), but nowhere in this brochure is the Tundra ever called a "1/2 ton" or "3/4 ton" Also, just to mix it up, are we talking the same ton here? These are 2,000 pound tons. I know this can get confusing fast, such as when Britain asked for a few ship loads of "corn" during WWII, which we sent. Unfortunately, they meant "wheat corn" as in wheat and we sent them "corn" as in maize.

My need for explanation is: In three weeks driving in England last year I saw sum total of two pickups! Why no pickups in England?
  • velheruvelheru Posts: 1
    Actually I have been in the "c" cab that is shown and I have seen the "d" cab and it is definately bigger than the Mega Cab Dodge. And with 410hp and 11,000lb towing its going to be good competition for the domestics.
    Whoa! Could you elaborate a bit more on what you know, and have seen?

410 hp? Is that correct, or a typo?

Bob
    It was posted yesterday in the Straightline blog as a 'rumor' but it is in line with the scuttlebutt that's been going around since the intro last Jan. Everyone at Toyota has said that this will be the biggest and most powerful pickup on the market. Bigger than the Mega Cab and more powerful than anything in its class.

Toyota intentionally did not publish any specs when it was intro'd - waiting for the new GM's to be announced last week. Why give the competition a heads up.

Rumors, but they make sense and the timing is right in line as well.

The next 'rumors' IMO will deal with diesel and 'hybrid' versions.
    It was posted yesterday in the Straightline blog as a 'rumor' but it is in line with the scuttlebutt that's been going around since the intro last Jan.

Yeah I know, as I'm the "Bob" who posted it there. :) And it was a response to the above post in which it was mentioned.

Bob
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    I have it on good authority the 5.7 will be 350HP, with a 6 Speed Auto.

DrFill
  • I'm new to this forum, and I thought I would share a few new photos of the 2007 Tundra that was on display at the 2006 Toyota Tundra 200 race in Nashville, TN on August 12th. The photos are in my gallery.
    Great photos indeed. :)

Bob
  • Could you compare the interior space of the avalanche with the four door Tundra?

Thanks

Mark
  • toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    Just a little more info. The crew cab will be called CrewMax. Regular and Double Cabs will offer short and long beds.
  • what's the towing capacity with the 5.7L V8?
    It's supposed to be in excess of 10,000#... specs any day/week now. They are being kept a secret until the last minute it seems.

Diesel Tundra some time 12-18 months later.
  • Has Toyota announced the horsepower and torque numbers yet? I am anxious to find out what they are. I estimate 345 horsepower 385 ft lb torque w/ a 6 speed auto.