Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• raphraph Member Posts: 1
    i have a jetta since dec 2000.
    i have 260 000 km with it.
    i'm very satisfised. the car is very secure on the road and the brakes are very efficient even in curve or on bad roads.
    i have a corolla too, but it is a good car if there are no curve no wind and if you don't need too break heavily.
    considering maintenance : i replace just the rear pads at 100 000 km and all brake system at 200 000. never had trouble with nothing else (just my window which stay opened because of the cold (-35 C in montreal : a plastic part broke). i make oil replacement each 15 000 km : that save me time. but just put synthetic oil. it costs more per replacement but it still cheaper per km than the corolla.
    in term of gas comsumption : 5.1 average on 260 000 km against 7.4 with the corolla (170 000 km).
    conclusion : you pay a bit more but you have what you pay for. i'm thinking in selling the corolla and buy a new jetta tdi with 6 automatic speed (it is better on highway at 130 km /h) i will keep the old jetta until the end (400 000 km??).
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    The three most popular vehicles on MSN Autos, based on visits to the site's vehicle research pages during the second three months of 2005, are Jetta (first), Accord (second), and Civic (third).
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Here's an interesting article, since diesel fuel costs about 20¢ to 30¢ more per gallon than reguar gasoline in my area:

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/diesel3e_20051003.htm
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    A family friend of ours bought a 2001 New Beetle Turbo brand new a few years ago. She is doing her best to get rid of that horrid car. In the last six months, she has spent $2,200 having the car repaired. The air conditioner failed at 37,000 miles (she doesen't drive enough to wear these things out, seemingly). After having that repaired, the car decided it would no longer move. Not forward, not backwards. It seems that VW screwed with the electrical system when repairing the A/C ($1,300 already on the A/C), and cost Charlotte another $875 to fix what VW broke (presuming they messed it up in the A/C repair. If not, the electrical system had issues that cost a fortune, and VW wouldn't budge on repair costs, despite the fact that the car was less than 2k miles out of warranty). :lemon: It's funny that the car is yellow and looks just like the lemon that it is!

I don't drive a VW, but I have driven the NBTurbo before. It was a blast to drive, great handling and pick-up, but I didn't pay the bill when it started falling apart (the fog light has recently popped out of its housing, hanging near the road now, also).

Just allowing another VW experience to be shared. I know for every bad there will be a good, but Consumer Reports seems to agree that Honda has many more good days than does VW, while delivering similar driving experiences, and much more horsepower while getting 30+ miles per gallon of $2.75 regular, instead of $3.53 diesel, and cheaper at purchase time, maintenence time, and worth more at trade-in/selling time.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    curtc,

Let's get REAL. If you believe that more than a quarter of a percent of diesel car owners in the USA home-brew their fuel, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Toyota did absolutely nothing about it, zip and why I am now driving a VW and at 6000 miles the only thing I can complain about was a vibration which I had corrected.

Singular owner experiences are meaningless in the overall picture of a brand's quality. From JD power to CR, both Honda and Toyota are rated FAR better than VW.

PSS: You guys are too easy
    The way you're talking on this thread is as if your opinion is a fact.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We've all got our priorities and we're all entitled to our opinions. However there is no need to make differences of opinons and priorities into personal confrontations.

Let's stick to the subject instead of talking about each other.
    That is funny! Perhaps it is because i'm in the gulf coast region?

You say such things like you don't believe me. You can got to Birminghamgasprices.com and see for yourself. Some rural stations sell diesel as low as 3.29, but in my city, Hueytown, you will see that the local BP sells it for $3.55, higher than the $3.53 I beleive I said earlier.

By the way, consider yourself unlucky on Hondas, because expert literature reports that Hondas and Toyotas are MUCH more reliable than a VW or Chrysler. I realize every car brand will have a lemon, but VW, according to many car litereature resources, has a record for making many more reliability flops than Hondas, or even several domestics!
    I meant what I said.

The personal comments need to stop. Now.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    I like my Accord, as engine and transmission are good. Fuel consumption is good as well, but the TDI, I think, is more fuel efficient.
    Few unscheduled visit to the VW dealership to fix problems with Jetta will offset any perceived gains with TDI engine. Where I live diesel is 10% more than regular gas.

Accord, once out of warranty can be serviced by neighbourhood mechanic and oil changes done at walmart/gas station.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Excellent review!

I too drove, actually test drove several, a 2005 TDI manual shift and the power is very good. It is deceptive that it is only 100 horsepower. I liked the car and the price.

In fact if a dealer hadn't of wedged $300 in July 2004 I would have bought a 2003 Golf 90 horspower TDI in July 2003.

However, after further reading and remembering my Audi LS100 experiinece where I would regularly visit the service department every couple of weeks and the service men knew me by name I decided relaibility was more important to me.

Good Luck,

MidCow

P.S. - Did you notice diesel prices are now 20-30 cents higher than premium ??.
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "...I would regularly visit the service department every couple of weeks and the service men knew me by name..."

After I bought a new '86 Peugeot 505 Turbodiesel, I had much the same experience, but whenever I turned into the dealer's service entrance, the PA system immediately blared either, "We're in The Money" or "Happy Days Are Here Again". ;)
  • drnick5drnick5 Member Posts: 27
    Just came accross this thread and read it form top to bottom. I was in a similiar suitation the past month or 2. I test drove a bunch of cars and had ti down to a jetta TDI (manual) or a honda accord 4 cyl (manual as well) after driving the jetta TDI I liked it, had great power dispite it's 100 HP tag on it. I wasn't interested in that perticular car (was a base model, no options at all) also, from teh 2005.5 model year to the 2006 they actually took out features (heated mirrors nossles and seats, as well as the trip computer) and are charging MORE for the car. when I talked to the salesmen about ordering a TDI package 2 (sunroom, heated everything, but STILL no auto climate control (apparently you can't even get that in a 2006 jetta anymore)) he told me it was going to be like 26,600. I said "thats sticker on it, whats my price on it?" he replied "that is your price". I was shocked, he explained with teh gas "crisis" since katrina he has gotten a LOT of calles on diesels (in fact when I got out of the base model I test drove a woman asked if I was going to buy it, when I replied I wasn't sure, she said "I hope you don't cause I'm here to put a deposit on it") anyway, after this I went to honda across the street and test drove an accord 4 cyl manual and was pretty happy with it (and it's approx 30 mpg average). also, the price I got them down to (after about 2 weeks of haggling) was 24,800 including destination. That included Navigation system and XM radio. (2 grand less than the jetta TDI and with a nav system) it was prety much a no brainer, plus with the higher maintence costs (frequent timing belt changes on the TDI as well as pricer oil changes and the fact gas prices are slightly falling and diesel isn't moving at the same rate) made me order the accord. the jetta did FEEL a little more solid (smaller car and slightly heavier) but I still don't think that is worth an extra 2,000 dollars with no auto climate control and no navigation system. just my 2 cents from someone who was in this same suitation. Also, good luck trying to FIND a TDI.
  • hondavwhondavw Member Posts: 1
    I'm so glad I found this forum / message board, i'm looking to purchase a new car soon and accidently found this site. I can't seem to decide on performance and style (Jetta) or reliability (Accord).

I find the insight and commentary on this site to be absolutely funny and entertaining to read keep the post coming :)
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "I find the insight and commentary on this site to be absolutely funny and entertaining to read keep the post coming" Funny or fun?
    I am 6'5", so room is an important issue for me when it comes to driving a car. The Accord, for the money ($18k for an LX in my area) is one of the best values on a midsize car that is still fun to drive. THe differences in the Accord and Jetta inside are amazing when sitting in them back to back (I did at the International Auto Show), I couldn't sit behind a 6 footer in the Jetta, I could sit behind myself in the Accord. It just seems to me, a compact car competing deep in midsize territory (properly optioned you can have a $26k Jetta with 148 hp, or for $1,000 more have an EX-V6 Accord (talking sticker prices, for comparison purposes).

I drive an EX 4-cyl Accord after shopping, and while it doesen't have leather, it doesen't have vinyl, i mean "leatherette" either. I believe my dad's '91 Civic DX had it though! I'll give VW this, their cars are fun to drive, but the Jetta's engine was a dog when put above 4,000 rpms, and my Honda just gets giddy and takes off when I rev it up!

Seems like the harder I push the pedal, the faster I should go; an antonym of the TDI diesel engine (higher revs, power drops). The GLI has plenty of zip, but, for the same money as a V-6 Accord, it just doesen't have the beans to cut it in my book.
    Price it lower and it can be competitive with the Si Civic, but it is already slower in the straight line (7.1 to 60 vs. mid 6s for the Civic Si) and doesen't have the handling advantage of the front differential the the Civic does. The Jetta is a great car for some people, but with the sticker, I'm left wanting more car for my money.
    "Singular owner experiences are meaningless in the overall picture of a brand's quality"

Yup.

Yes they are. Like a 40k mile New Beetle Turbo that has cost more in repairs than the down payment should have been? I'd say not everyone has problems like this lemon yellow bug has, but it appears that these are more common in VWs than in Hondas (read any consumer magazine).
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    Check out the February issue of Car and Driver. They have a 5-car comparison test consisting of the following vehicles:

Mazdaspeed 6
    Acura TSX
    Honda Accord EX 6-Speed
    Pontiac G6 GTP
    Volkswagen Jetta GLI
    I am a Honda guy, but hated to see Pontiac banished to last place. I wanted the "home team" to be on the comeback trail. At least it didn't embarass itself! It is obvious to me, that the Accord is more family sedan than sports sedan, so for that particular test, I was impressed to see the Accord up on the number 2 spot. I knew it was the ultimate family hauler, but didn't realize it had the cojones to run with the "sport" sedans. The TSX just needs some testosterone and it would be the ULTIMATE under $30k sport sedan.
    We're talking about the Jetta vs. the Accord in this particular discussion, but we have others where some of these recent comments would be most appropriate - just check the list at this link: Sedans Comparison Board.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    really two different class of car. The Accord is far larger inside, outside, larger engine available.. Passat is more of the competitor to Accord.
    Granted prices for Jetta when optioned out are Accord like but this does not make it a competitor.
    As far as Accord reliability. I owned one and It did have issues.
    Looking around the internet at other chat rooms, I have to really wonder sometimes where the Accord gets its golden image of reliability.. Just my thoughts.. ;)
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    different in terms of size but i wouldn't say they're not competitors. perhaps a closer competitor for the jetta would be the TSX. That is the Jettas with the 2.0T engine.
    The Accord is far larger inside, outside, larger engine available.. Passat is more of the competitor to Accord.
    Granted prices for Jetta when optioned out are Accord like but this does not make it a competitor.

When it comes to family cars, a LOT of people hinge their decision on price (see how well the new Sonata is doing?). When a loaded Jetta 2.5 is $27,000 ish, and a loaded Accord 3.0 with Navi and 100 more horsepower is $29,000 ish, it sure looks like VW doesn't need an Accord to be parked near a Jetta when it comes time for that VW dealer to push a purchase. Maybe a Toyota dealer should buy a Jetta to park near its Corollas...

Sorry, I struggle to find the design that can cost as much as $10,000 more here.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I look around the net and people are getting Jetta value pkg for about 18K. Also saw some folks who have been able to get Jetta 2.5 pkg 2 for about 24K..
    I agree that this is steep for a 150HP vehicle. Supply/demand will eventually make VW prices go down. Consumers may see the Jetta isn't such a great deal and they will sit on the lots.. maybe? I sure hope so It would be good for me as a possible future buyer.. I sure like the way the car drove and felt.. Price is important..I don't have to buy right now.. I am patient..
    I think this is pretty wise on your part. A value edition Jetta is by FAR the best german deal on American soil. Get beyond Package one, however, and I could find a lot better places to put money.
  • flaminioflaminio Member Posts: 20
    I owned a NB for 3 years, then a Jetta for the past 4. I've VW -- they're fun to drive, handle great and have lots of cool features. The thing that not only got me into a Honda, but a new car sooner than I expected was repair issues with the Jetta. It would be rare that I wouldn't have something for VW service to fix/check everytime I dropped it off for an oil change/schedule maintenance. I would be thrilled if I got out of there for less than $40. Including all the recall work, I'd say I averaged a replair every 4-6 months that I had the Jetta. I don't think I ever went a whole year without seeing the check engine light.

My new Accord drives pretty nice. I miss the tight handling, road feel, and power of the 1.8T. I gave all that up for the reliability and lifespan of a Honda. The Accord is a nice car that handles pretty well. It's got some loose stearing a little more mushy suspention. The engine gets going pretty good from a stop, but lacks the power of the 1.8T from there. It seems to have more passange room, but smaller trunk space and a narrower entrance from the trunk to backseat.

There are certainly pros and cons between the two. To me it's a decision between fun and practical.
    Well, you made a good choice between all the "practical" cars out there (see the Midsize Comparo Thread for those choices). You picked the most fun to drive of them all. I'm a bit surprised you found the Accord much slower than the 1.8T. Was it the 150 HP version, or the 180? I drove a 150Hp Turbo N. Beetle and thought it was actually quite similar to my new Accord I-4.
    Yeah, it was the 180 hp. It has the turbo lag in the lower RPMS (although much improved IMO over 150hp 1.8T that was in my Beetle). I had an embarrasing test drive as I pulled out of the dealer for a turning start and gave it too much gas. IIRC, even the 150hp 1.8T still had more power in the middle range. If I want to accellerate while driving (changing lanes for example), the Accord is no where near as responsive as the Jetta, IMO. I feel I push the peddle down 1/2 way and nothing really happens. Sure I could floor it and whind it up, but that's not how I drive in the city.

The Accord though seems to handle the road coming around corners/turns pretty well. The Jetta tracked the road very well and with typical/not overly aggressive driving, I don't feel I'm missing much/anything with the Accord. There are certainly differences, but I realize the Accord doesn't have racing tires and sports suspention. I haven't really tested, but I also feel breaking was better with the Jetta. My only other issue so far is the stearing is much looser and I feel considerably more disconnected from the road. There are pluses though from not "feeling" the road (and its potholes) in Michigan.

I'm not putting one car over the other, except for my experience (and the generally reputation) for repair issues. If you're not planning to keep your VW past its 4y/40K warranty, or you're getting an extended, I wouldn't have an issue with VW. But I prefer to run cars into the ground and don't have the budget for unexpected car expenses. Plus I feel I got a great deal on a car that, even at MSRP, is already a pretty good value.
    OK, I'd definitely say the 180 hp Jetta would scoot past the 170 HP Accord (if we are comparing apples to apples on hp, we use the old standard). I think you'll find it to be plenty of fun, especially when you are zipping around town with nary a check engine light to be seen. The gas mileage should be pretty great for you, too.
    Just curious, why didn't you opt for a Accord V6 model? Performance seems to be a priority with you.

Besides having more power you would have larger tires, better brakes (assuming you drive a LX model) and a slightly sportier suspension.
    Top priority was financial. The LX V6 is like $6K more. It would have been nice, but I'd rather have the lower payments. I really traded the Jetta in just to remove the repair and maintenance burden of an aging VW. So the goal was to find something reliable for about the same monthly I currently had on the Jetta. I was pleased that I could swing a Honda with its rep.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Just to clarify...VW's come with a 4yr/50K mile warranty.
  • econoboxjockeyeconoboxjockey Member Posts: 17
    Not even close, at least in my neck of the woods. Accord EX V6 with the six speed manual is available for just over $25K, while a similarly-equipped Jetta GLI at the local VW dealer is stickered at $28K.

Now, with discounts, the GLI could be had for roughly the same price, but it still comes up short in my book. Better handling is its strongest suit, but it loses big in rear-seat room. Then you have the highly questionable reliability of Jettas over the past ten years. They are not the "made in Brazil" disasters they used to be, but they certainly don't bring to mind the golden age of VW, either.

If I wanted a small performance car for $25-30K, I'd get a Subaru WRX, which trailers the Jetta GLI in pretty much every performance category. If I wanted something with room for four adults, I'd get the Accord (which I did). The Jetta is something of a compromise between the two, but comparably equipped it prices itself right out of range. Getting a Jetta as opposed to the Accord, to me, meant paying more money for a less-reliable product with less room and less power. Slightly better handling and promises of "German engineering" just weren't enough to make up for it.
  • germanboygermanboy Member Posts: 9
    I have a comment on the performance of the 2.5L Jetta. The automatic transmission is rated for 0-60 at 9.1 seconds. Since the manual transmission time was nowhere available, I tested it myself with a stop-clock. First, I tested an automatic 2.5 and got exactly 9.1 seconds. Confident in my experimental procedure, I tested my manual. I did 0-60 in 8.1 seconds (I'm originally from Germany, so I know a few tricks when it comes to make the most out of a manual). Even more, since I had to shift to third at around 58 mph (rev limiter), I tested my 0-58 mph and got 7.7 seconds. Imagine if the rev limiter were set just a little higher... Bottom line: With a manual this car (2.5) is actually zippy!
    Too bad the majority of the car market will never find this out, since they call for auto-shifters in today's world of stop and go.

Best I can tell, the new Jetta has comparable acceleration to the 1998-2002 I-4 Accords (They also had 150 horsepower and 152 lb-ft or torque (less torque than Jetta, but they weighed less than the Jetta).
    Too bad the majority of the car market will never find this out, since they call for auto-shifters in today's world of stop and go.

Best I can tell, the new Jetta has comparable acceleration to the 1998-2002 I-4 Accords (They also had 150 horsepower and 152 lb-ft or torque (less torque than Jetta, but they weighed less than the Jetta). The Jetta wins off the line, but after 3,000 RPM (merging revs, for example) the Accord wins out, and sounds much sweeter than the moaning 5-cylinder.
  • seniorjoseseniorjose Member Posts: 277
    Of course you realize that the VW JettaTDI has been discontinued for 2007 as are all diesels and the Jeep diesels also.
  • sardonic_ninnysardonic_ninny Member Posts: 25
    Currently own two honda's
    And my first car was a 68 Bug, So that hardly counts?
    Did this forum die or what?
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Did this forum die or what?

Not until you realize the zen and bliss of driving a VW/Audi product, and stop bantering inferior products... ;)

What is it about VWs that some consumers dig, and other people loath? Perhaps the new J D Power APEAL Study can help us shed a light on this. VW and Audi did very well in this study - with VW pretty much on target, i.e., just below the luxury makes.
  • larouselarouse Member Posts: 28
    We just bought a 2006 Accord EX V6. Before buying it, we test drove the Passat which in my opinion is more comparable to the Accord than the Jetta. Although the Passat handles well, we found the ride extremely rough. Also, there is the question of reliability. To make things worse, friends of ours, who are also on the market for a new car went to the VW dealership and there (as fate would have it) met and old friend who is now a salesman at that VW dealership. This fellow who sells VW advised them to go to Honda and get an Accord!! Need I say anything else?
    Not until you realize the zen and bliss of driving a VW/Audi product, and stop bantering inferior products...

Your sarcasm floors me...lol...

They drive great, yes, but until they change their reliability issues, you'll get used to that route between home and the dealership, if it's anything like the VWs I'm around lately (2000 New Beelte, new 2005 Jetta). Good luck.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    " did 0-60 in 8.1 seconds (I'm originally from Germany, so I know a few tricks when it comes to make the most out of a manual). "

Me too rev it up to 4,500 rpm and pop the clutch, spped shift without taking foot off the gas. A little hard on the transmission but gets you great perfomance times.

On the automatic, put in neutral rev up to red-line shift to drive (2) put in drive with foot on brake reveup engine with brake on the relase foot on brake. Goot times but hard on the atiomatic transmission.

Zippiy is less than 7.0 seconds

Really zippy is less than 6.0 seconds

YPMV,

MidCow

I leave the ptrue perfromance tests to the car magazines. Real fast times destroy cars.
  • cbergancbergan Member Posts: 2
    In July of 2005 I was looking for new car and was comparing several different make and models. I test drove the Honda Accord and the New Jetta. They both get you from point A to B, the difference for me was in the handling. Since most of my driving is in the City, where dodging pot holes and deep puddles is the best game in town, handling is important. Also comfort for the long trips (live in Charleston, SC, family and friends live in FL, GA, NC, IN etc...) is very important.

My observations:
    Jetta is more versatile than the Accord. A car with the heart of an SUV, with out the fuel consumption. Jetta has more cargo room (trunk space) and a roomier back seat for passengers. For the same $$ more safety and convenience features associated with the Jetta. The Jetta felt more solid when driving and shutting the doors.

I have owned the Jetta for over 1 year and still enjoy it. Most smaller cars beat the driver (and passenger) up on road trips longer than 1 hour. The Jetta was more comfortable than the Ford Taurus on a 10 hour trip - mainly because of the duel temp controls. (Duel temp controls, best thing ever when traveling with a passenger.) Only regret is ... None. :)
    The Jetta has more cargo room (trunk space) and a roomier back seat for passengers.

A roomier back seat than an Accord you say. Those are strange observations.
  • dunoon9dunoon9 Member Posts: 1
    I have not owned an Accord (had a 1995 Civic) so I do not know much about their strong points. I have owned 2 Jettas. The most recent was a 2001 TDI. I was in an accident with a tractor trailer 2 days ago. I was clipped in the driver's side rear quarter panel, then was pushed by the truck while perpendicular to the front of the truck and then spun to be hit by the truck nearly head on (his driver's side front hit my driver's side front). I was thankfully then pushed to the side into a median where I stopped. He never hit the brakes and we were travelling at about 60 miles an hour. My 4 month old daughter was in the rear passenger side which was the only side of the vehicle that did not sustain massive damage. She did not have a scratch on her. I walked away with lacerations (from broken glass) to my face and hand and a black eye which I assume was from the airbag.
    I will most definitely replace this car with another VW. I had 185,000 miles on it and was hoping to put many more on it. Oh well - maybe the next one will last longer.
    If I had more time and knew how to post a pic I would. If someone tells me how I will check later and post one.

Stacey">
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Glad to hear you and your Daughter walked away fine!!! That's the best news............... :)
  • cbergancbergan Member Posts: 2
    Glad to hear you and your daughter walked away with minimal injuries. May you and your next Jetta be accident free. Take care.
    A car with the heart of an SUV, with out the fuel consumption.

Don't know about the heart of an SUV, but I do know about the fuel consumption:

VW Jetta - 22/30 - 150 hp
    Honda CR-V - 23/30
    Toyota RAV4 - 24/30
    Honda Accord - 26/34 - 166 hp

The Jetta is down about 3 inches on interior legroom from the Accord, nearly 3 inches rear shoulder room, and more than 2 inches front shoulder room from the Accord*.

Roomier than the Accord, right...

*From www.VW.com's "Compare" function
  • jimsterjimster Member Posts: 1
    Bought an "06" Jetta TDI four weeks ago. My wife and I like it so much we just traded it in for an "07" Accord.
    We will NEVER own another VW made vehicle.

Jimster
This discussion has been closed.