Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta vs. Honda Accord

1234568»

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Our family has leased 2 Jetta's, and we have an 08 Jetta SE now. We have not had any real issues with them. Just normal routines. The newer models have a great maintenance package now too. I have leased an 06 Accord, I had no issues with it either. I have had way more issues with my 08 G6 I have now than we ever had with a new car combined!

I think you will be fine with either a Civic or Jetta. Pick the one you feel is for you. I am just not sure what makes you feel that VW is not reliable. Unless your new to VW, I can see how you feel. I would have thought my 08 GM car would be easy, but it hasn't been. It was my first GM ever!, and it will be the last! Want a 50% lemon? I would do anything to drive a VW or Honda!!

Go for what you want!
  • Wrong. The maximum torque RPM is all that matters. WIth the Accord, and indeed all Japanese cars the max torque is at a high RPM where you burn the most gas and have the least probability of overtaking in an emergency. This is why all German cars have their maximum torque at a low RPM. My 2006 Jetta routinely blows away V6 Accords in the big mountain passes. Yes the Accord passes me at the start of the pass because Japanese car drivers are used to having to wind their cars up (to a high RPM) but without fail I always pass them before the top (I use Cruise Control). On the west coast we play a game called "How many happy Honda's are we going to pass on the pass". Last weekend we passed 3 V6 Accords. I think the Hondas are excellent cars but comparing Japanese cars to German cars is like comparing Mopeds to Ducatis. This is what most people who shop on spec sheets alone don't understand. If you are looking for something to get you from point A to point B then buy Japanese or Korean, but you will sacrifice much and be left wanting for something with soul.
  • Hi fishpotato, In my opinion you are comparing two different classes of car. For some reason North Americans are comparing Jetta's to Civic's. This is completely ridiculous and in some way VW supports this. The VW Polo which we are getting in North America soon is the direct competitor to the Civic everywhere else in the world. The Jetta is more Comparable to the Accord than the Civic but even that comparison is not fair. The Jetta is in it's own class. You have to drive them both. When I say drive I mean drive them, take them both on the highway and assess them for their ability to provide you with a "driving experience". German cars are engineered much differently than Japanese cars and their design philosophies are very, very different. The Civic will likely feel peppier in the City but once you take it on the highway at high speed look out. Don't forget that the Civic (either side of 1992) used to be the most dangerous car on the road. In the same model years the Golf was the safest in that "class". You will be happy with both cars but in my opinion if you buy the Jetta you will never buy anything but a VW again for the rest of your life. That's what happened to me.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    this forum certainly died.
    lol. Yep. Well lets wake it up!
  • DO NOT buy a VW 2011. I've bought 2011 VW jetta SEL. since the day I bought it it went to shop for 8 times already. It is poorly built. My previous Jetta which was value edition was much better. as a loyal VW costumer they should have treated me better, but they didn't. I've taking my car to 7 dealership to get rid of it. the car has depriciate the value which is understandable. I'm about to get an accord coupe EX-L. VW had many problems, engine jumps by itself when the car is on idle, interior A/C knobs was already broken. speaker burst " I don't listen loud music" right front door had this crazy rattling sound since the day I've bought it. They put some plastic stuff in it and it still rattles, front instrument panel which holds the odometer was hanging down. they ordered the plastic piece twice and finally put it in better. I hear a chain sound coming from the engine some times. when I'm on a rough road, everything rattles. cheap letharette seats are incredibly uncomfortable. everything is made of cheap plastic. made in MEXICO.. chepest car ever. I am getting rid of it. I have been with VW since 2004. I had audi then jetta and this jetta. I will not go even close to the VW dealership again. They want to compete with japanese cars buy reducing the price buy reducing the quality. some of them come with drum brakes. I HATE VW JETTA 2011........ don't waste your money.. you can never go wrong with HONDA.... I had one before and it was awesome. I should hav estick with it. :mad: :confuse: :( :lemon:
    Wow! I am so sorry you have had issues with your car. This doesn't sound like typical issues, so perhaps your car was built wrong or off. I am a VW and a Honda fan too!

I have had my 2011 Jetta SE for 8 months now and I love it. Though, my horn stopped working 2 times, but other than that no issues as of it. The engine is strong, the body is solid. Yes, some areas of plastic could be better, but the tan interior makes up for it. For the features such as the touch screen, bluetooth, I feel like I driving an upscale car for the money.

I hope that I don't have anymore issues. I wish you luck. Sorry its been a bad time for you.
  • After the rain from Hurricane Irene I had about 1/2 inch of water behind the driver's seat. The car started and drove fine for a couple of hours. This morning it started but stalled out after about 2 seconds, and continues to do so. The display also is unreadable. I have seen and heard of problems with the Passat with water, but not the Jetta. Has anyone had this problem?
1234568»