Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3 vs Subaru Forester XT vs Infiniti FX 35 vs Toyota RAV4

Comments

• clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    First of all I own an FX so I am obviously biased and I have not driven an Xt but may do so this weekend just to comapre them. To me the FX is the clear cut winner and here is why.

The XT is faster but lets compare apples to apples and autos to autos. I have not seen any auto times for the Xt faster than 6.9 secs. The fastest FX times is 7.1 and the X3 3.0 is ~7.9 (stick was 7.4). Both the XT and FX will show the X3 auto it's taillights. They both also have way more torque than the BMW so more usable power. I mark this a tie between the XT and FX.

The handling is where the BMW and FX shines. Both equipped with sport packages are .88 g for the X3 and .87 for the FX. The base FX does .81 but since we don't have base skid numbers for the base X3 lets compare apples to apples again. The XT is High .7's here it brings up the rear where the FX and X3 tie.

Stopping. The FX beats em all here with the X3 and subie bringing up the rear. edge FX

Space. The subie and BMW about tie for cargo space but having been in all three (forester S) the fx I think ties the X3 for passenger comfort. But I will give the X3 and XT the slight edge here

Features. The FX blows em away with available DVD nav and ent, laser cruise, 6disc in dash changer, rear view camera standard xenons etc etc. Edge FX

Interior. I give the FX the nod with the subie second and the X3 bringing up the rear. It is about even with the subes for interior quality but costing 15k more that is not saying a whole lot. Edge FX

Exterior. I love the look of the FX. It is definately the head turner of the bunch the bmw is second and the subie can not be told from the avg subie grocery getter. Edge FX

Reliability. Probably a tie between FX and XT

Status. This is the only clear cut win for the X3. The infiniti brings in 2nd and the subie as some said may not even be cross shopped by the status conscience buyer

Price. The subie trounces em all on bang for the buck no doubt. The FX comes in nicely equipped about 6k less than the X3. The X3 is just plainly over priced.
     Edge Subie.

From this comparison I would rank them FX, X3, XT. What costs the subie in my book is handling, looks and prestige. The X3 loses on price, power, reliability. The FX gives you the best of em all.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,658
    Maybe it's just me, but buying a vehicle to impress people is at the bottom of my list of reasons to purchase a vehicle.

Bob
  • ballisticballistic Posts: 1,687
    I'd go farther than Bob and say that if others are buying a particular car for its prestige or 'class' factor, that's all the reason I'd need to scratch that one off my list and buy something else.
  • zmanzman Posts: 200
    Unfortunately, as fine a vehicle as it might be, the FX does not come in a manual transmission. IMHO, it therefore cannot even compete properly in a performance comparison.

That said, it sounds like the XT has it all over the X3 (on paper--I have not driven either).

Zman
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    I have a BMW and Subaru. For some strange reason I'm suddenly having an identity crisis. Man this place got hot fast. Love it!

;-)
    Designman,

These Subie boards are burning; it appears that Subaru owners (and potential owners) are nothing if not passionate.

Zman
    but not necessarily prestige-oriented; unlike BMW, Infiniti, et al. As Subaru moves up-market their audience may change. I hope not.

That's not to say Subie owners are not image-oriented, but prestige is not the image most Subie owners aspire to.

Bob
  • vsromanvsroman Posts: 95
    as aptly stated by clpurnell..."the subie can not be told from the avg subie grocery getter."

If I were Suburu, I'd figure out a way to get that hot rod engine into a more upscale, aggressive looking crossover vehicle...and fast!

Then it would be ripe for comparison.
    be patient...

The all-new turbo Legacy and Outbacks will be arriving this spring. After that, the all-new 7-passenger crossover will arrive. That model will debut Subaru's new styling direction, which will be adopted by all Subies eventually.

Subaru is moving upscale, and they know that better styling has to be part of the equation.

Bob
    "If I were Suburu, I'd figure out a way to get that hot rod engine into a more upscale, aggressive looking crossover vehicle...and fast!

Then it would be ripe for comparison."

Ripe for comparison to what?

Zman
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    If Subaru can compete with BMW and charge a lot less, this is where it's at. If the XT is as good as the X3 and people are convinced, the word will get out and many will benefit. Forget about status, make the right decision for yourselves and be secure about it, whatever that may be.
  • akasrpakasrp Posts: 170
    nasty rear blind spot in Murano/FX35.
    I think the XT is an excellent package and if the FX didn't exist and I had to chose between the X3 and XT I would choose the XT.

I bought the FX for it's performance, handling, features, expected reliability and dealer treatment. Let me know when subie starts offering DVD NAv and entertainment, ICC, VDC, EBD, BA, Preview Braking, 20" wheels, Style, Brick/cinamon like leather seat, Rear view camera, keyless go etc etc. Yeah I spent about 10k more than the XT but I think that bought me a lot of technology. (I am a techno geek)

Plus free infiniti loaners for all warranty work and service. On one of my previous vehicle I spent over 700/yr for rental cars and the like while it was either in for service or repair.

The X3 even though it is a brand new model didn't bring the technology or performance to the game so to me it is an also ran.
    that's why I have a rear view camera :)
    that the Murano/FX35 is one sweet ride. If Nissan dealers here were as deal oriented (they all seemed stuck on MSRP) as the Subaru dealers, I'd have been hard pressed not to go Murano. No remorse mind you, but can see how one could love the M/FX. Adjustable pedals alone won me over (I'm 6', wife is 5'2). Nissan/Infinity inarguably rides the form/function wave better than the rest.
  • jjmanjjman Posts: 77
    Of course anyone can cross shop any one brand with another. Its a free country!
    But realisticly most people who consider a bmw would be thinking of luxury and prestige (look at the success of the x5). To get utility and some great unique features is what is turning me on to the x3 or else i would just buy a 330xi and not look back.
    Also for me the prestige of owning a BMW isn't the same as owning a Lexus or Mercedes. The BMW logo has always been a symbol of great handling, great engines and the pure driving experience. Nobody and I mean Nobody! has been able to duplicate the feel that you get at the steering wheel of a bmw. Sorry if I am being passionate here but to me the x3 is worth its price just for its pure abilities alone.
    the subie can not be told from the avg subie grocery getter

Assuming this was about the Forester XT turbo, and about how it is nearly indistinguishable from its 'normal' Forester brethren, that is exactly what attracts many of its owners to it. We're not flash-and-glitz people. We like subtle. We like stealth. We don't like sky-high insurance premiums or extra scrutiny from da fuzz.
    I bought the FX for it's performance, handling, features, expected reliability and dealer treatment.

I bought the XT for its performance, handling, features, expected reliability, dealer treatment, and $15,000 lower price tag.

Let me know when subie starts offering DVD NAv and entertainment, ICC, VDC, EBD, BA, Preview Braking, 20" wheels, Style, Brick/cinamon like leather seat, Rear view camera, keyless go etc etc.(I am a techno geek)

I wouldn't have bought the Forester XT if it had about 90% of those unnecessary items. The XT is for the KISS (keep it simple, etc) folks. I'm a techno geek, too - but not when it comes to overly complex cars.
    that is exactly what attracts

s(tealthy)rp
  • jjmanjjman Posts: 77
    But if I wanted to cross shop the XT with another brand I would do so with Honda or toyota. I can't really see the Subaru brand being upscale just like Volkswagon is trying to be. In the end I think that will be the downfall for VW because despite the Phaeton being a good car in the real world nobody's looking for the vw logo on their luxury car not with so many other choices out there. Subaru should learn from that and either create a new brand or just stay out.
This discussion has been closed.