Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,679
    is much like the ControlTrac and InstaTrac found on Ford and GM products. It's an on-demand 4WD, which activates only when needed. I too wished for a permenent and/or selectable full-time 4WD mode to be available, like that found on the 4Runner V8 & V6.

Bob
  • EXACTLY! AGAIN the us car market is decades behind the rest of the world. I will buy the first diesel mid sized suv that comes on the market (and i dont mean a overpriced v10 like the VW Toureg!)
  • We do not need to put deael in the pathfinder, what need to happen is we need to take place is that the Fed Gov need to allow the mass production of the advance new tech /carburetor that will give use better gas milage.
  • WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM!!!!!!!! WE NEED A THIRD SEAT IN IN THE NEW PATHFINDER.
  • I think it needs to be noted that the cost betweeen the Armada and the QX 56 is out rage. A ten thousand dollar diffrent for the same auto.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    I researched QX56 and Armada quite extensively. The actually MSRP difference is about $7000 , feature to feature. However, QX56 have many enhancements over Armada on the same features, say power seats (6-way vs 8-way), etc. I used to have a whole table of differences posted in QX56 board or Armada board, you may look it up if interested.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 487
    Please tell me you are joking about the carburetor that evil forces in the government will not let us have. If not, you have been reading too many thirty year old Popular Mechanics magazines and watching too many X Files re-runs.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'm sure Infiniti has a longer warranty and a few perks like service loaners. That matters to someone spending $50 grand on an SUV.

third-row seat is now standard equipment

And it split-folds, unlike the Armada/QX.

I wonder if it'll sell as well as its unibody predecessor, or better.

-juice
  • I just read the edmunds' 2005 Pathy review. It sounds pretty good, but it left me wondering about 2 things.

1 - Whether the lack of a V8 option will be the downfall of the 2005 Pathy. I have been very happy to hear the increase of the 4.0 V6 power, but the review points out that the overall weight also increased - thus canceling out the increase of power. Almost every other competitor has a V8 option (even the Volvo XC90). I am specifically looking for the extra oomph because of the high altitude towing that I do.

2 - The review states that the onroad handling has been slightly affected (in the negative direction) by the fact that it uses a body on frame design. They say that the current model has a slight edge on handling. Although, the off road capability has increased - they should be careful not to screw up the onroad handling. Most of these SUVs will never go off road.

That said, I will definitely test drive the next Pathy when looking for a new truck. And there is a good chance that I will buy a SE OffRoad model.

2FastDre.
  • Looks just like my '03 4Runner!!!
  • I drove by two dealers today just hoping to see one first hand. Then I'll test drive and post my findings/thoughts here.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,651
    I don't think the lack of a v8 option is a problem as long as the new v6 performs well. Looks like the new 4.0 will have more hp and similar torque output to Ford's 4.6v8 and will be a little less than some other competitors.

I tow my 4500lb boat all over the place with My 01 LE without any trouble. A 5 speed auto trans would definitely help, at 65-70mph, I really can't tow in O/D and 3rd runs around 3500rpm which gets old after hours on the highway. A gear to split the ratios would be perfect. I understand the new PF will have a 5speed trans with more power to boot. Performance shouldn't be an issue.
  • I agree the new PF V6 has the same HP number as the new 05 4 runner V8, 270.

My question is if the Full time, All mode 4WD system will be available on the SE. in 04 models you have to get the LE to get that option and based on what Nissan has on their website it looks like that will stay the same. That would be dissapointing, because that's an important option for me, but the LE will get pricey.
  • They are showing the 2005 Pathfinder at the Paris autoshow this week. It will be sold in Europe, but with a diesel only. So at least this proves that it is compatible with a 2.5L Diesel engine. I would love to have this engine in the Pathy in United States! However, we will have to wait about 2 years for this decision to be made and even then it is not for sure. I don't have the specs on the 2.5 diesel, but it would have at least 170 hp and 300 ft-lb to be a competetive engine. That would tow the 6000lbs max rating easily. Of course, it would have a much better fuel mileage as well!

2FastDre.
  • jgriffjgriff Posts: 362
    Has anyone see any '05 pricing yet? I hope its not too dang expensive.
  • jgriff,

I think that you can still "build" a 2005 Pathy online at www.nissanusa.com (under "Future Vehicles" section). NissanUSA has enabled this feature 6-8 months ago. I think that it is the absolute best consumer study that any manufacturer can do. Allowing customers to virtually build and option a future product several months ahead of production and accurately measuring the most/least popular options and configurations.

Is it dang expensive? In my opinion, it is a little expensive (although not as expensive as a 4Runner). I think I might get a slightly used 2005 or 2006 Pathy and get a decent decrease in price.

2FastDre.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,651
    A diesel would be awesome. The added fuel economy would be great and effortless torque output would make towing my boat a breeze.

I agree that a min of 300+ft/lbs of torque and HP in the high 100s is a must for the diesel. What does the 2.5 diesel they are using in Europe put out?
  • If nissanusa.com site is used as a reference then I would say it's a lot more expensive than 4runner. And Pathfinder has always been cheaper, so the site's info is very dissappointing...
  • jms9jms9 Posts: 8
    The thing with the nissanusa.com pricing tool is that the prices change daily and from region to regions. Like 2fastdre said, it's a way for Nissan to see the most popular configurations and prices and the msrp will likely be much lower.
  • zmaczmac Posts: 3
    "third-row seat is now standard equipment

And it split-folds, unlike the Armada/QX."

Wow! Nissan is really aiming at the 300+lbs and 5+ brood market. I thought the Armada was the nod to that segment. Hope they didn't forget to make standard the "super-size" cup holders and the "Baby On Board" sign.

What a pity. Bigger, uglier and with a third-row seat. And instead of Japanese quality, we now have Canton, Miss. quality (and it also looks like it was styled there).

And I was so looking forward to the new Pathfinder....
    It's a major change in direction, because it's also body-on-frame.

But can you blame them? The old unibody couldn't come close to the sales of the 4Runner, despite being a lot more car-like IMO.

-juice
    What a pity. Bigger, uglier and with a third-row seat. And instead of Japanese quality, we now have Canton, Miss. quality (and it also looks like it was styled there).

I thought it was being built in Tenn. With a litte more TLC taken to ensure a better quality than Canton's 1st runs.
  • dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    Anybody know when?
    Oct. 2004, is the target date.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 487
    I know everyone probably thinks I am full of bull as I got no response several weeks ago when I said I saw my first '05 Pathfinder, but believe it or not I saw a convoy of 3 more.

First sighting was of a silver one in front of an Atlanta dealership a couple of weeks ago. As I drove by, I saw a bunch of sales guys standing around it. Not wanting to mess with shark infested waters, I figured I would cruise by after they were closed. When I went back I could not see it anywhere on their lot, and have not seen it since. Then I read they were not coming out until late October, so even I began to question my sanity.

Yesterday morning I saw three driving in formation. All had California plates (I am in Georgia) and single drivers with walkie talkies.

My impression is very favorable. The overall design is very slick. Although they have a family resemblance to the Armada, they do not suffer from the ungainly proportions and odd roof line (IMHO)of the Armada, and the overall look seems better to me in a smaller and more reasonable sized package. I am looking forward to their official unveiling.
    I believe you, why would you lie?

You must have seen either test vehicles, or a training program for dealer staff, something like that.

I swear I saw a new Golf on the roads the other day, and they're not supposed to arrive until late next year in the US. Might have been a diplomat's car, since all the embassies are here in Washington.

-juice
  • mpg7mpg7 Posts: 17
    I am not 300+ lbs, I do have a wife and 5 kids, and i do not supersize anything, nor have I ever owned a Baby On Board sign. I also heard Tenn is the build factory as well. I do, however, like the new design very much. I currently drive a 1995 PF (truck on frame design) and will take a serious look at the new one. It will be nice to have two vehicles that can carry the whole family (wife=minivan) without buying the humongous Armada. The only minor problem I have is the fixed side windows in rear are too rectangular. I think they could soften the sharp corners a little. I would also love to see a diesel option. Oh, one more thing ZMAC, we already know you think it's ugly, so why don't you visit the German SUV forums and have a nice day.
  • mp19fanmp19fan Posts: 102
    Nisan had one parked for all to see, and quite a few people liked it, including me. It was the Off Road edition, with the big tires. I really liked the size and third row seats. The interior was OK, not exceptional. It's definitely something I'd consider to replace our 2001 Montero LTD. Now, does anyone know MSRP?
  • tomgtomg Posts: 2
    I kind of agree with zmac. Standard third row seat and Armada-like design means that Nissan has abandoned the "urbanites" it was courting with the current Pathfinder and corresponding Infinity models, in favor of a different type of custommer. Why should I pay for this added seat, which takes away space and is also a bit embarrassing? Is this a sport utility vehicle or a minivan? On the looks, I remember the initial review inn either C&D or R&T referred to the current Pathfinder as a Gucci boot. The upcoming Pathfinder's shape could be referred to as a Walmart boot. I have bought two Nissans and an Infinity in the past, based on their looks and reliability, and have been very happy with them. This one doesn't have the looks, and the reliability of American-produced Japanese-branded vehicles has been consistently bellow that of those produced in Japan.

BTW, this MPG7 guy is super sizing:-) Outside of parts of the Third World and Utah, 5 kids is kind of a lot. He should stick to the minivan or school bus forums.
This discussion has been closed.