Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    i agree...

but there are MANY vehicles that REQUIRE premium, and i want to make sure these arent confused with those.
  • ericc815ericc815 Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the 6' longbed will still be offered with the 2005 frontier crew cab?
  • icarbuyericarbuyer Posts: 3
    I sent nissan an email asking the same thing and here is their response...

Thank you for taking the time to personally contact us about your interest in Nissan products.

The 2005 Nissan Frontier will unfortunately not be available with a crew-cab long-bed combination.

We hope that this information answers your question, but if you need any additional information or have further questions, please let us know by reply e-mail or by calling 1-800-647-7263 and pressing "0" for a live operator.

I guess it's the 2004 for me.
  • unknownunknown Posts: 5
    I was trying to hold off purchasing a new truck until I could see the 2005 Frontiers.
    But if it is not available with the crew-cab long-bed combination...I am not interested.

Hopefully the 05 Tacoma will have it.

If not, I will consider the Dakota
    or maybe even a full-size truck.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Right now you can obtain a new 4X4 XE King Cab Titan for $22,158. That is a bargain for a full size!
  • ericc815ericc815 Posts: 2
    Since o5 will not offer the long bed I am going to get a used 03 or an 04. What kind of mpg can I expect from this truck. 6 cyl. no supercharger
  • icarbuyericarbuyer Posts: 3
    I too was considering a used 03 or 04 cc 4x4 LB, but the $2500 rebate makes a new truck more appealing. Here in the south Bay Area (San Jose, CA), a used 03 with 15k miles goes for $17-$18k. Carsdirect.com has a comparably equipped new 04 truck for $20.3. When you consider the length of warranty ("full" versus "remaining"), wear and tear and possible abuse to truck, the $2-$3 difference for a new truck seems worth. Just my $.02.

I hear 16-17mpg for mix driving, can anyone confirm?
  • dat2dat2 Posts: 242
    I have an '03 SC KC 4x4 5 spd and average about 17 mpg, after 10,000 miles.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 487
    Edmund's does not kill this thread. We are working our way through mid August. 05s should be here soon. Anyone hear a firm ETA?
    late october/early november for all 3 new trucks...frontier, xterra, and pathfinder.
  • jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    I'd like a 2WD, fun to drive truck. The Colorado with the ZQ8 sport suspension is supposed to be a hoot, but my wife would kill me (justifiably) if I ever bought another compact Chevy pickup. I'd really like something that could haul bikes / yard stuff and still keep me as entertained as my '93 SE-R. Is Nissan going to have a sporty option on the Frontier?

-Jason
    if you want a 2wd truck thats fun to drive, get a titan xe KC. MSRP is right at $24k, and you can get one after rebates and discounts for close to $20k.
  • jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    '93 Sentra SE-R, '87 Alfa Romeo Spider, '98 S10 4x4 (big mistake), '99 Neon Sport, '74 Datsun 260Z. I agree that the Titan is a heck of a lot of truck for the money but it's still a heck of a lot of truck, period. I have a hard time thinking of anything that big as "fun".

I know the new Tacoma is supposed to have a street performance package, just wondered if Nissan would follow suit. Toyotas tend to be a little pricy for what you get, IMO.

-Jason
    thats my point...you can get a titan with that monster power plant for about the same as the tacoma with the v6.

no brainer to me...

PLUS...

you get the huge ground clearance with the titan. go drive one...you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • Check the news on Nissannews.com. Those are pretty insane numbers. Thats clearly going to make them the class leader, other than the top H.O. V-8 gas hog in the new Dakota. Only question is how will this puppy do at the pumps (and will it need premium with those kind of hp numbers)? The new Toyota tacoma will have the new direct injection & VVT V6. While it will have less power than the Nissan, I saw the fuel mileage for that motor in the 05 Tundra (which is bigger and heavier that the tacoma) 18-19 city/ 25 highway is insane for a big truck, gotta figure at least that or better for the tacoma. If i'm getting 5-6 mpg better for every gallon, Nissan can have the 20 hp advantage... Guess we'll have to see the frontier fuel numbers in due time...
  • 2fastdre2fastdre Posts: 59
    This is awesome power numbers! I hope the torque peaks relatively early. They should tune it to about 320 hp and put it into the 400Z. :) I think Nissan will use this engine as widely as it currently uses the 3.5 liter. Hey, they can even put this into an entry level Titan.

2FastDre.
    They could put this engine in a new entry level or work truck version of the Titan. While towing would be down, I bet it would still outrun the entry level 4.7, 4.6, and 4.8 litre V8s from Dodge, Ford and GM (respectively).

Seems to me that a bigger Frontier with this new engine ought to be able to tow more than 5,000 lbs.
    towing rates are decided more by the frame and chassis than the engine.

first, they determine the payload and tongue weight capacity, and multiply by about 10.

like the titan, its widely known that it CAN pull around 14k lbs...but the payload can only handle about 900 lbs. on the tongue.
    Granted - but I am still guessing they would not offer the big tow package in a V6 Titan, if they ever decide to build such a beast.

However, back to what you are saying, in recognition of the fact that the new Frontier is larger and built on a modified Titan platform and is being offered with a powerful V6, I would tend to think towing capacity would be well above the 5,000 lbs of the current version. I'm trying to avoid buying a big pickup as I do not really need one, but I would like to find something that would easily handle a small camper or a good sized boat. I would like to see the Frontier competitive with a V8 Dakota or even a Toyota Tundra, both of which are rated to pull up to 7,000 lbs, more or less.
    even though it will be bigger, and on a modified titan platform, its still not a titan. i dont doubt that it CAN pull 7000 lbs, but they would have to upgrade the suspension to be able to handle the extra load on the tongue to do it.
    Here is a quote from the Nissan press release dated February, 2004. "The Frontier’s maximum towing capacity is rated at more than 5,500-plus pounds."

So they say that it will handle at least 5500 lbs. My guess would be that it will not be rated for more than 6000 lbs. The towing capacity is based on the frame and suspension, but it also depends on transmission and engine strength. In any case, this is very good. And my 3500 lbs boat+trailer could be handled nicely.

2FastDre.
    Edmunds just reviewed the 2005 Dakota. It sounds like the design and engineering have been executed very well. It's using the Jeep 3.7 V6 as a base engine, and also has 2 V8 options. The V8 options are both 4.7 liter engines with the high-output motor rated at 250 hp+ and 300 ft-lbs+. There is no mention of gas mileage in this first review. Could it be that the 4.7 drinks it down like never before?
    The high-output Dakota is rated for maximum towing of 7150 lbs. And the top of the line extended cab Dakota is $29,500 ! Wow. I can get a nicely equiped Titan for that much.

The Nissan V6 sounds much better than Dakota engine options; it has more hp than any of those engines, but is lower in torque in comparison to the V8. I think that Frontier will not be rated to tow 7150 lbs, but this is just fine. In my opinion, if you want to tows 7000 lbs, you should just get a full size truck.

2FastDre.
    Wow! There is a first 2005 Tacoma review article at pickuptruck.com. And Tacoma is putting up a huge fight! It will have a LongBed option on the Double cab available soon after the release and it has a special Tow package that is rated to tow 6500 lbs. The fight is really heating up, and it is exciting to observe.

2FastDre.
    What is the big deal? Help me understand what type of trailers would be towed behind a compact or midsize truck that would weigh more than 4,000 lbs? Any trailer over 3,000 lbs typically requires brakes on the trailer in many states. Towing 6500 lb trailer with a Frontier or Tacoma sized truck would be a scary proposition to me even with stabilizer, electric trailer brakes, and breakaway brake system on trailer.

A 28ft Prowler travel trailer weighs about 6500 lbs., I sure would not tow one w/o anything less than a 3/4" truck.

Would anyone on these forums feel safe towing a 5,000 to 6,500 lb trailer with a Frontier sized truck?
  • No freakin' way!! You got a big trailer...get a big truck. It's a no-brainer!
    Heh Heh My intent was 3/4 ton truck, not 3/4"! LOL!
    so what happened to the 1/2 ton trucks???
    I agree that I would not want to tow 6,500 lbs with a compact or midsized truck.

I think the point or the question is would you rather tow 3,500 lbs in a vehicle with a 3,500 lb to 4,000 lb tow rating or would you rather tow 3,500 lbs in a vehicle rated to tow 6,000 lbs or 6,500 lbs?

Maybe it does not matter, but it would give me peace of mind to know that I have a chassis, suspension, engine, transmission, and brakes that are not being pushed to their theoretical limit when I am towing a small camper, boat or loaded utility trailer.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    I agree. Most people towing with mid-size pickups and SUV are towing ~ 3500 max. I certainly fall into that category. Having a 6500 tow rating gives you a lot of extra insurance.

Bob
  • HORSEPUCKY!
    Noone argues that a Dakota D cab would be good for towing 6500#, so why would anyone question it on a Taco or Frontier? besides, 6500# add up real quick. what it burns down to is a GCW of about 11000#. Start with a 21ft boat- on trailer w/ a full load of fuel- 5000#. then put 4 guys in the cab, two 120qt cooler in the bed and head to the marina- if you've ever pulled a boat, then you know how easy they pull- little sway, light tounge wt.... or you decide to throw your jeep on a carhauler..... sometimes stuff needs pulling and you dont want to be dependant on your friend with the fullsize all the time
    Can someone explain to me how a breakaway switch helps when you're towing? last I looked, they only work when you did something very wrong