Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Mark LT

After having the easily-forgotten Blackwood, Lincoln steps up to the plate of the luxury truck category with the new Mark LT, which is based on the new F150. The primary competitor will be the Cadillac Escalade EXT.

More info can be found at:

http://www.autoweek.com/specials/2004_detroit/index2.mv

Enjoy! :)

Comments

• Seeing how Lincoln is trying to get this luxury truck category right, I am a little worry that the Mark LT may be to close to the F-150. I am sure the Mark LT will do a fine job, being that it is base off of the F-150, but I feel that it may find it's way on the same road as did the Avaioter. Can the 2006 Lincoln Mark LT be a winner for Lincoln? What do you guys think?
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Dont' see what the issue with the Aviator is, sales have been solid and as expected by Ford's initial estimates.

The Mark LT will have just as much difference between them, as teh Lexus LX470 and Toy Land Cruiser...
  • It may look cool, but I really doubt it will sell. The only special features it has is HID headlamps and a LOT of exterior chrome. Also, it doesn't even have a speical engine. It uses the same 5.4 3v and 4 sp. as the F-150. Although this is a fine fine powertrain, it's still nothing out of the ordinary. At least the pathetic Blackwood used its own 5.4 Intech. There is hardly anything different about this vehicle than a top end F-150, although you know Ford will add another $10,000 to the sticker price. Besides, I think the new Lariat is fine enough of a luxury truck with a very reasonable price tag. Now if the Mark LT came with the GT/Lightning's supercharged 500hp v8, a 6 sp. manual, a killer navigation/sound system, and exotic interior materials, maybe it would be worth considering.
    Hm, kinda like how the Navigator started out, and made it one of the best selling full-size luxury SUV's.
    Minimal investment in differentiating it, allows profit at lower sales volumes.
  • But I gotta admit, it looks better than an Escalade EXT!
  • Yeah, but there really wasn't a full-sized luxury SUV market til the Navigator debuted. It created a demand for something that there wasn't around previously. People felt a need for something big that made a statement and could also haul people around, so it sold. Lincoln already tried the Blackwood and failed. The Cadillac EXT is already out there. I just don't think anyone is going to justify spending $50-60k on an impractical truck that isn't much better than a $35k F-150 Lariat. I could be wrong and I somewhat hope so. It'd be cool to see the Lincoln divison come up with something else to help it survive, and I wouldn't mind seeing a decked out version of an F-150 on the interstate pass by every once and a while...
    The Blackwood failed because it answered a question, no one really asked. No 4x4 availability, and a useless cargo bed. Ironically, I'm sure they made a profit from it since it wasn't that much different from a regular F-150 and a grafted Navi grill.

The Mark Luxury Truck will actually be functional which the Blackwood lacked. And even if they still sold a few, since the product doesn't differ that much from it's F-150 roots, it'll be profittable.

Notice how Ford tested the market with the first round of the Navi's. Same engines, same interiors, just a different grill. Then as time went by, and they saw they established that segments and it's sales were solid, they strayed a bit... Offered a larger engine over it's Expy sibling, as well as some extra toys/gadgets.

Now in it's latest reincarnation, the Navi has it's own interior, more interior insulation, a few other items to enhance it's luxury side. And coming this fall, a new 6 Speed automatic lifted from the Jag S-type.

And the same could occur with the Mark if it follows the same steps, all provided that the market is open to it.

If Porche can sell an SUV, Lincoln can do a truck.
  • You do have a good point there. I'd like to see it sell, but we'll just have to wait to see what happens.
  • To me though, the Mark LT looks more luxurious inside and out than the Escalade EXT. Anyone else want to concur that? I just like Lincoln's choice of rims too. Not too abrasive or "intrusive" as the Escalade's ugly wheel design.
  • setzersetzer Posts: 127
    Lincoln is going to try to get their sales up. It will be interesting to see how well the LT works.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    For some reason, I like the LT's looks inside and out more than the Escalade EXT's. The chrome wheels seem to be a better choice too. I was luckily able to sit in a preproduction LT at the auto show (YAY) and I forgot all about this forum! Well, the chrome/aluminum replacements inside (not wood trim like the F150 Lariat) felt very stury and I could back and them and VOILA! no scratches. Leather seemed to be of higher-quality than the Ford's too. Plus, I noticed more padding on the doors and dash. Overall, I think it was VERY VERY nice.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    They don't have to sell too many of them to make a profit on them. Cadillac is proving that with the Escalanch, it sells in pathetic numbers, mostly to equestrian types who pull trailers with large 4 legged critters in them. The one thing I'd like to see Lincoln put in the Mark LT though, is the Lincoln engine. I think it's a mistake not to. Don't know the reasons why they are opting to use the Ford engine, but it's not a good one as far as I'm concerned. Lincolns should always be about more power, more luxury, more comfort than the Ford. They don't have to chase Mercedes or Cadillac up market, but they do need to differentiate themselves from the Ford line. The 4V engine should go in.
    True, but the 3V 5.4L makes just as much power over the 4V version, with a few more sophisticated items, weights a bit less, easier to manufacturer, better emissions and fuel efficiency.
    Grrrrr ANT! Then why do they make the 4V for the Navigator, if the 3V is "just as good & cheaper"? Cause, I'm not loving the price of Premium fuel at the moment.
    Well the 5.4L 4V has been used for quite awhile. It'll take some time before the 5.4L 3V is integrated into other vehicles. Australia has a updated 5.4L 4V making around 350HP though, would love to get my hands on that one. This year, the Navigator will be receiving a 6speed auto, same unit used in the Jag S-type/XJ. Maybe an improved 5.4L might show up next year....
    THat would be sweet!!!
    You can take a look at the Ford Australian site, and see the Falcon and see what they have done with the 5.4L. Tip: If you notice a 4.0L I-6, YEP, it's the same Ford Inline-6 from wayyyyyy back when.... obviously they have kept it and kept improving upon it.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    The Falcon is one SWEEEEET car... :-D
  • Could Lincoln have possibly come up with a worse name than Mark LT?
    "Mark LT" sounds like the name of someone on the cover of Tiger Beat.
    If they couldn't come up with something decent, how about at least Naviator LT?
    They could have followed the LS tradition of naming.....come to think of it, maybe they did!