Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz SLK

Comments

• blueslk2kblueslk2k Posts: 1
    Has anyone converted their SLK230 to the new LED tail and break lights? I would like to know if it is as easy as replacing a light bulb or do you need to know intricate tricks to get this job done?

Bill
  • traveltravel Posts: 2
    get the premium package, comfort, trim, entertainment and sport packages.
  • traveltravel Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard of a pressure value problem? Apparently none of the dealers across the country have heard of it..
    I have 5,000 miles on my car and it's been sitting at the dealership since Sunday..
    If they can't fix it, they're going to replace the engine.
    -- oh and the crappy rental car they gave me. I paid for a Mercedes and I'm driving a chevy..
  • trantitranti Posts: 51
    Hello!
    I am 54 years old. My net is empty now. I like a SLK 230, year 1998 with 70000 miles. I am worried about maintenance. What kind of maintenance I have to do with a car at that age? Replace Timing belt, water pump, etc...? How much does it cost? Thank you for your answer.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 976
    Tranti, click the Maintenance Guide on the Tips & Advice tab at http://edmunds.com to get an idea about maintenance costs for the SLK in your area.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    My wife recently came to a stop & when she tried to start up the trans had was no longer in gear.She jigled the shift lever & trans returned to normal.

Anyone experienced this? Suggestions? Took to dealer but no codes.
  • spokesspokes Posts: 14
    After driving many different convertible models by various badges, my wife fell in "lust" with the SLK 350 which was delivered the prior day to the local MB dealer. After paying full MSRP, it was in our garage. Since this is our first Mercedes, we weren't (still are not) sure what to expect. The next morning, she fired it up to go to work and a "FAULTY ESP" message appeared (96 miles on the odometer). Off to the shop where the dealer had to pull the steering wheel and air bag to replace the steering angle sensor. This does not instill a strong feeling of confidence for me; however, my wife still loves her new car. I've never had a significant failure on a vehicle within 24 hours of driving it off the lot. I'm hoping this was an anomaly and not a sign of things to come! I'll be watching all the postings carefully. Thanks for all the useful information.
  • amgnutamgnut Posts: 16
    On 5/18 with 1838 miles my tranny was replaced. Within 5 minutes of leaving the dealer I received an "SRS" warning light. I turned around and went back to the dealer. They pulled the steering wheel and replaced a sensor, I was on the road again in an hour. I believe they already knew of the problem, possibly a TSA, the parts were in stock and the tech knew exactly what needed to be done.

Well - 2 months have gone by and 1800 more miles. No troubles. Tranny has been problem free. Having a tranny replaced with less than 2000 miles is hard to take, I've never had this severe of problem with a new vehicle.

If I understand CA lemon law, the third strike would have to be on the same part. So I'm 2 for 3 on the tranny - beside's the problem seems to be fixed. My other troubles have been slight, and fixed rather quickly.

Bottom line - I still love my car. Even after me troubles, I walk by the car in my garage and say " I can't believe that's my car!"

As a footnote - I do notice a slight groan from the power steering at idle as noted from another post. At this point its only a slight irritation and not causing any real trouble.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Ouch - that is lust - full MSRP for an SLK350! If the dealer can't easily fix your problem, try to get your money back. At the very least you should be able to get 5-7% off MSRP with about 30 minutes of research and negotiation. Not enough to buy a vacation home, but perhaps a decent vacation.
  • dgm4488dgm4488 Posts: 8
    Would be very interested to know (and it may be way too early for this determination) if the 2006 models (both 350 and 55) have remedied the problems mentioned here, e.g. trans., and warning lights. I'm thinking about getting this model but am concerned about the reliability factor. As a follow up, wondering too how successful MB dealers were in making Germany aware of these rather glaring problems (and that may only be revealed as the 2006's are on the street for a while).
    Problem seems to have been fixed properly, and everything put back together correctly. I did the research on the MSRP, but, the Caspian Blue is almost impossible to locate, and it was equipped just right. Wife is happy...bottom line! I will say it handles like few other sports cars I've driven, with the exception of my past 2000 Viper. So far, the 7 speed tranny has performed flawlessly; but, will report any problems. Thanks for the feedback.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I've never leased, so can't help you there. But the SLK is offered through the European Delivery program for 7% off MSRP. That's at least a good starting point for negotiations. If a dealer has the car you want in stock, I suggest you "threaten" to go ED unless he makes it worth your while to buy the stock car.

I would not tell the dealer you need to do a deal by the 17th of August. Tell him you would like to, but have another car available in the meantime, if it takes longer. The European Delivery process takes at least 2-3 months and the dealer will know that if you really need a car by August 17th, he's in the driver's seat, so to speak. Also, don't go ga-ga over a stock car. Even if it's exactly the color and option combo you want, keep them thinking that you still might prefer to order a 2006 to your exact specs and take a trip to Europe for that 7% discount.

I believe you can lease thorugh European Delivery as well but you might want to check out the Mercedes website first.

FWIW, I'm no expert at this, but I've gone from having a dealer claim they didn't have any reason to discount a 2005 Porsche Boxster S in early July to now having an offer of $6,000 under MSRP. I had told them that I'd just as soon order a 2006 to my exact specs than pay full MSRP for a 2005. Which, in my case, was true. Now they finally are making it worth my while to take a new 2005. And I didn't have the advantage of a European Delivery discount to use as a negotiating tool. Those obnoxious Porscheons charge an extra $2,000 to show you the factory!
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 976
    Folks, this topic is intended for the discussion of features, atributes, and owner experiences with the SLK. If you'd like to talk about prices, buying experiences, etc., please take it to the Mercedes-Benz SLK: Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion. Thanks.

ClaireS, Host
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    I think this is the correct board to ask for advice. I am interested in a convertible sports/sporty car that I can use as a daily driver and won't punish me on rough roads nor be miserable to drive in city traffic. It should also be a car that can be used for 12 mos. in the NE, not one that goes into storage for winter months. I know that this is a tall order. I am not asking that it can plow through snow storms but I know a friend of mine had an M3 that was unusable once the roads got slick. I also need room for a set of golf clubs and it should be able to handle just a bit of luggage.
    The Boxster looks like a good starting point and I will test drive but not sure about the noise level. Sometimes I can be in the car for 2 hours plus and I don't want to walk out with a headache. I am also considering going back to a stick (have not been there for a long time) and just wanted to know if the trade offs of city congestion are worth the pleasure of the drive on open roads.

Thank you for any input and suggestions.
  • jprocjproc Posts: 133
    The SLK handles okay in rain but snow and ice-terrible.I use my slk as a 12 month a year car but when the weather says snow I use my daughters car and she goes to school either via bus or a friend
    It will handle poorly if you keep the "summer" tires that it comes with. Am changing mine to "all season" for the winter months. Other than that your thoughtest requirement will be golf clubs;though it can be done.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Does anyone here have a SLK280 yet?

M
  • jprocjproc Posts: 133
    What kind of "all season" tires do you use? Is the handling ok than in snow?
    Thx in advance
    There are not a lot of tires that qualify for the SLK. Am going to put on Pirelli P Zero Nero's. Just put these on my E320 about 2,000 mi. ago. Have no winter experience yet but they come well recommended by Tirerack. Go on their website for details. They are a much better ride on my E320. Even my wife noticed it and tires are very low on her list of priorities.Forgot to mention that my E320 had Michelin XGT4 's.
  • artchiartchi Posts: 1
    I got my SLK350 6 days ago and have 503 miles now. Yesterday while driving home on the freeway, the outside temperature reads 144 degrees fahrenheit. It doesn't seem to be that hot because that will be a major news on the radio. Anyways I think it is about 90 instead. Few miles to home, my Check Engine Light came on. I parked the car overnight and this morning started the engine and the light is still on. It is now in the hands of the mechanics at the dealer.
    Does anyone have information on the total number of SLKs that will be shipped to the U.S.? I've been told by the local dealer that only 350 will be shipped; the rest of the production staying over seas. This seems suspect. Any numbers out there?
    Thanks.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Only 350 SLKs to be shipped to the U.S.? That is beyond incorrect. MBUSA's goal for the SLK in this country is 10K units. 350 is a bogus number because they'll ship more than that in SLK55 AMGs too, so I know that number can't possibly be right for the high volume (relative to the AMG model) 280 and 350 models.

At that number each dealer would only get one SLK to sell. The dealer here has 4 SLK280s and 2 SLK55s.

M
  • cagneycagney Posts: 5
    What do the hood louvers on the SLK55 do? One opens to a rubber-sealed box and the other is closed off by a plate w. a 1" hole at the rear.
    I've only put 1300mi. on the car so far, but it seems simply AMAZING!!
    Got one more Question. The SLK55 lists two different sets of tire pressures, one inside the gas flap, one on the door frame. Which one do I use? I'm following the door info: 33# front, 39# rear.
    I believe even MB has stated that they plan to sell 1,000 - 1,500 55's in the US, so obviously, the no. of straight 350's would be much higher. I'd wonder about that dealer!
    Yea, that's what I thought. I'm really unhappy with this particular dealer in NORCAL. I was suspect of the number as soon as the sales rep gave it to me. However, I had no other way to confirm what the correct shipments were going to be. Thanks for your help. I'll include this information in my letter of complaint to the GM.
    Delighted to hear that you like your car so much.........I have one on order and am excited to say the least. Q: Did you order yours and if so how much time elapsed between order date and delivery? Thanks.
    dgm;
    Excited? I have never experienced an automobile as stunning as this SLK55. Even tho I read about it for months, it is far more car than I thought it would be; every time I drive it, I discover some neat new thing Mercedes has done. (Now, if it only doesn't break down.)
    Dare I use the word "bargain"? It cost me about $65k, but seems well worth it. Far less than a Viper, and a Vette convertible, loaded to match, would cost about the same, and you'd STILL only have a cloth top.
    I took delivery in June and had ordered it in Feb. I'm told that if one were ordered now, delivery would be next May.
    At the dealers the other day, a service mgr. commented about having a bad day. Seems a lot of SLK V6s were coming in smoking. This is a brand-new engine; they're too young to smoke. I wonder what's going on. Since I just bought a new Mercedes, I was hoping they had got their quality control act together.
    Thanks again..........I thought about it for a long time then decided to go with the AMG version. Among other things I too felt like it was well priced for what the car offers in terms of performance etc. And your information about the delivery schedule is more good news - apparently (and not unexpectedly) it has lengthened a great deal since my order was placed. The article in Car & Driver may have intensified the interest in the 55 and thus the length of the wait list.

I too hope we don't have reliability problems!
This discussion has been closed.