Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

got1bgot1b Posts: 48
What do you think of this vehicle? Does anyone know any more about it or of any other good links? The attached article mentions a "fully integrated cab and bed". Does that me it will be similar to an Avalanche? If so, and with towing of atleast 5,000 this would be some vehicle. Here's the link to the best article I can find on it:
http://www.babez.de/honda/sut.php

Comments

• joey2brixjoey2brix Posts: 464
    I remember seeing a photo in a car rag of a chopped pilot converted to a pickup (photoshop maybe?) a few months ago. This truck looks larger then that. With 5K lb towing, there's gotta be a BIG V6 in there.
  • sjwsmwsjwsmw Posts: 131
    I called the salesman that sold me my Pilot and he had a little info. Says that it is Pilot-based, will be built alongside the Pilot. Is an '05 model to be delivered around the first of '05. He said it would resemble what Subaru did to the Baja. The length is expected to be a bit longer than the Pilot, using the Odyssey platform, possibly stretched. Most importantly, would it be just a Pilot with a bed or more like an Avalanche and that question was unanswered at this point.
    Knowing Honda, I would expect it to be equally as handy-dandy as the Avalanche. But that remains to be seen at this point.
  • got1bgot1b Posts: 48
    What is the Honda Pilot's towing capability? How do you like your pilot? I've never been in one.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    People are going to think that this will be an F-150 replacement. No way!
    I don't think anyone thinks that. However, I think it will hurt SportTrac sales. That model is baased on a platform atleast five years old. I think this vehicle will have the same capabilities and a much more refined package. Not to mention Honda reliability. If it has Avalanche like capabilties, I don't know why any one would by a SportTrac.
    Check this out: http://www.hondacars.com/info/prototypes/sut.asp?bhcp=1

From this, it appears it does have an Avalanche like capability! This looks like the vehicle I've been waiting for.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Honda quality, reliability, durability, Avalanche flexibility, SporTrac prices. Here's a hit!
  • jjmanjjman Posts: 77
    where do you guys see that it has avalanche abilities?
    The description hints at it and the picture seems to show it, although I admit not clearly. To me it appears the seats are folded down. I requested the brochure and hope it will clarify it.
    Pickuptruck.com did a good write up on it. In it they say the towing capacity will be 4-5,000 lbs. I hope its 5. They also have a picture of the back end. When I compare it with the Honda web site, it really appears to have an Avalanche pass through.

I really like this truck. I think the looks are right on. It reminds me of a mini Escalade. All this with Honda reliability will be a 10 year dream come true!

Here is the review:http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/autoshows/naias2004/honda/- sut_intro.html
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    Certainly not Avalanche towing, hauling, or rough terrain driving capabilities.

The SUT looks like a truck, but is actually a mini-van. The Avalanche is a gosh honest truck.
    One thing to consider, the Ford Escape outsells the Honda CRV handily. So they aren't winning over all the market segments.

Only people who never have owned a domestic pick-up, and drive an Accord/etc, will run to the SUT thinking "Wow, a Honda pickup, now I can get one!I didn't want to have to get an icky domestic one!" Of course they have no clue that owners of domestic pick-ups are mostly satisfied customers, not aching to get a Honda "cute ute" truck.

I'd like to see someone try to pull a huge boat with the SUT and wonder "why can't it? I THOUGHT this was a truck?"
    I think of the Avalanche as full-size. This is certainly not that. As for towing a big boat, I'm not sure I'd do it with a Ford Ranger or the Chevy Colorado, vehicles approximately the same size as this.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,724
    and as a long-time owner of many Hondas, I have to say I was disappointed.

I don't think it has a pass-through. The styling was not to my tastes. I didn't see, or hear of any breakthrough innovations, which you would expect from Honda. So it has IRS in a mid-size play truck; big deal...

I see it as a competitor to the Explorer Sport Trac, which is nothing more than a play truck. I was hoping this Honda pickup would offer capabilities that would attract the weekend warriors out there, such as the ability to haul 4x8 paneling, lumber, etc. I don't see it here.

Bob
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,182
    You may be surprised with Honda. The Ody, Pilot and MDX have the capability to carry 4 X 8 sheets, it would be silly not to engineer the same in the SUT. Maybe the midgate idea is not out of the question. I believe there's a lot more effort being put into the SUT than to just chopping off the cap of a Pilot and calling it a day.
    and it didn't have a mid-gate, as far as I could tell. I've also seen may images on the Internet of the Honda SUT and not one has shown a mid-gate, nor has there been any mention of one.

Bob
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,182
    Was it the actual vehicle? I thought it was still conceptual. Anyways, not questioning your judgment, just hopeful they put out a commendable first crack at the truck market. Looking forward to seeing it at New York in April.
    I think its the Detroit free press that has a lot of pictures of the SUT. From them it appears to not have a mid-gate. If they did, I think it would be a major selling port.
    If it had a mid-gate, I'm sure Honda would be promoting it. Also, not a whole lot has been mentioned in terms of specs, or I just haven't seen them.

Recent Honda/Acura concepts have been pretty close to what the production versions are like. Assuming this holds true here, I'm not sure I'm going to like the one that actually hits the showrooms.

Bob
    little discussion on this vehicle here at Edmunds. You would think Honda entering the pickup market would create a lot of buzz. Not so...

Bob
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    I'm guessing part of the ambivalence stems from the fact that it's in "concept" phase right now, though the final product isn't expected to vary much.

It doesn't sound like it's going to be very rugged, which to me, takes down the "sport utility" feature by a couple of notches.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

While the Pilot caught the tail end of the big SUV craze, aren't there enough 4 door king cab pickups out there already? I thought I heard pickup sales were dropping. The interior is still very much a concept and will be very different in production. Unless Honda offers the SUT with high value for a low price, I don't think it will be a hot seller.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,036
    I see the SUT as an effort to retain existing Honda customers much like the current Odyssey and Pilot.

IMHO, Honda realizes that it loses a customer - perhaps for life - if it doesn't offer what they want. I really feel that Honda knows it's current customer base isn't looking for a heavy duty truck aka an F150 alternative, so the SUT will do well for them.
    Just like the Explorer Sport Trac, the short bed is more limiting then the regular SUV which can put the rear bench down flat so you can put the full 4x8 sheet in the Pilot. Maybe you can get 2 or 3 dirt bikes in a short bed but a snow mobile won't make it. Now an XUV-like Pilot would have been interesting.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    you are right about the bed being short, but any bed is better than a wagon/SUV area for certain items. My needs are as a farmer, I will have old batteries, diesel, gasoline, stinky dogs, etc. that simply cannot go in a cab. On the other hand, all of the beds can be fit with hardtops, which gives the security, privacy, and rain protection of a wagon.

John
    There are people, who don't know about cars, who actaully think the new Honda SUT will be a "real truck". Someone quoted in a recent story said "I've been waiting for a Honda truck, I didn't want to get a domestic one."
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    Tell me about it. There's this salesman at my local Honda dealer who said to me, "I am very excited about the SUT. My father has always driven a Chevy pickup but now he can finally buy a Honda!"
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Regular pickups all have solid rear axles and ride roughly, with jaring jolts over many surfaces (yes I know about the Subaru, but its bed is so small that you can not call it a truck). However, the photos of the Honda car/truck and the dimensions of the MDX and Pilot on which it will be based suggest that the Honda pickup (or car-truck) will have a much larger bed than the Ford Explorer Sporttrac. The best thing is that the Honda will have the Pilot / MDX independent rear suspension, so it should ride soothly and quietly. I also have tools and supplies to carry which rattle annoyingly and which could slide or fly around during a panic stop or accident, so a wagon / SUV/ minivan / crossover is not for me. A four door car-truck would be ideal - not too big, but with a completely separate cargo compartment.

It should weigh less than the Pilot or MDX, so performance should be good.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    I found these on an excellent web site today - showing both the interior and exterior of the concept. I expect (and sure hope) that Honda tones it way down to something which looks nice for the production version.

http://www.autointell.net/Events/naias-2004/naias-2004-daily/hond- a-sut/naias-2004-highlights-honda-sut.htm