Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    " It seems I can get a used trailer for less than the cost of a good bed cover."

If you're in the US, which I'm guessing you are, you can get a NEW 4x8 open trailer at Lowes for about $350. These things are GREAT for full sheets of drywall and plywood, as well as really dirty stuff.

My 5x12 enclosed, with radials and torsion axle was $3k.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Wow. Sounds like a good deal. I need to go check that out.
  • photoba96photoba96 Member Posts: 3
    I've looked for several months for a reasonable way to connect my Ipod to my Ridgeline. Don't want to spend more to put the Ipod in the truck than the Ipod is worth. Dension will have out in about two months a unit that plugs into the factory radio and allows you to control the Ipod from your radio. You will be able to get this at Best Buy when it comes out. It costs around $200.00, much less than the Monster alternative of nearly $450.00 with all the stuff ( including the external mounted LCD viewer). If anyone else has a better option of connecting my Ipod directly to my factory radio let me know. Thanks
    Once I got my Ridgeline I started missing the keyless entry via the key pad my Explorer had. With code couldn't lock myself out. Nor could my assistant!!!!! Found a great way to solve it. sales@davstarsecurity.com has an auto key box with a rubber cover on it. It mounts well with the mounting plate to the tiedown near the cab on the drivers side. No one can see it as it blends into the truck nicely. The keytumbler is easy to access and the rubber cover keeps the tumblers clean. Also up on the tiedown means that it stays cleaner than in the wheel well or on a tow hitch. Make sure you tell them you need the mounting plate as the manufacturer is not including them when shipping, Davstar sent me one at no charge. Hope this helps some people.
  • rmadiganrmadigan Member Posts: 1
    Black spray paint works great on the door handles. :shades: :D:D
  • njdevil5njdevil5 Member Posts: 26
    Found this link helpful for a couple of the accessories I have on my Ridgeline. You may too.

https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.com/Merchant2/instructions/ridgeline/
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Sounds you're going thru the same thought process I recently went thru. I was torn between a double cab truck & a SUV for various reasons. I decided I would benefit far more with a cover cargo area rather than an open bed, as I have a K9, and mountain bike to transport.

I ended up going with the new 05 Xterra, couldn’t be happier with my choice. The Ridgeline was on my list, but there were a couple strikes against it;

1. The Ridgeline was much more expensive, like $4-12k depending on models.
    2. I had a ’01 CL crap out at 36k., and I’m not 100% totally comfortable with Honda continuing tranny issues.

PS. I really like the X wipe down cargo area, I use a 3x4 exercise mat on top of it to simple allow items to sit there without sliding around (works great).
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    It looks like the '06 Pilot will be available in 2WD.

It makes you wonder if its sibling, the Ridgeline, might add a 2WD variant in the future to save gas. If coupled with VSA it could be fine for most purposes. Like many, I also wonder if Honda will add VCM to the Ridgeline to save on gas.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I doubt that 2 wd is in the cards, because of the towing requirements. A front wheel drive only Ridgeline will have a very limited towing ability.

VCM? I would like to see them try. I would also like to see a diesel.

I agree, until there is 24 mpg from the Ridgeline, my dollars won't go there.

John
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Gary Flint and his team investigated VCM during the development of the Ridgeline. They found the aerodynamics of the vehicle (while good for a truck) were not good enough to merit the expense. Even when cruising, the drag on the vehicle would be too much to allow it to run very often on 3 cylinders.

Perhaps if they added an electric motor to assist during 3 cyl operation, but that's even more expensive to offer.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I wondered about that too. Especially given the rumors that the 2006 Pilot

a - will get VCM
    b - will look more like the Ridgeline

Interesting to see how it plays out.
  • 5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    Any one here towed 4000 -4500 lbs using regular gas only on the RL.Whats the worse case scenario that could happen? :sick:

Thanks in advance for all the responses.
  • neededatruckneededatruck Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know who if anyone is selling bed mats for the Ridgeline? The truck needs one to keep stuff from sliding around and protect the bed some. I prefer the thick rubber type. I've had my truck for 3 months now, WHAT A GREAT TRUCK!!!
  • oz39oz39 Member Posts: 2
    not sure if you are aware of this option. radio shack sells a few inexpensive devices for connecting your ipod to a vehicles audio system. the device i purchased is made by monster cable. You simply plug the device into the bottom on the Ipod plug the other end in a power outlet /cigarette lighter. it allows you to tune in your ipod over a number of fm frequencies. Sound can be controlled by radio or ipod controls. Everything else is controlled by way of the ipod. I initially purchased the device for my wife who drive a dodge pickup truck. She has been very pleased with it. I have a ridgeline that allows me to connect by ipod directly to it however we take the monster device with us on long trips because it uses the vehicles power and will charge the battery of the ipod as you use it or while it is plugged in. the cost is around $50.00.
  • oz39oz39 Member Posts: 2
    looking for a cap top for my ridgeline. i was told by Leer that they will have one out in 2-6mo. anyone have information on availability of other truck tops?
    for a nifty rolltop.

John
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. But that option does not allow me to control the Ipod from my radio. I want the songs to be displayed on my radio like the XM information is. Plus it will also charge the ipod. I had a cassette for m Explorer and the friends that I have with FM transmitters in the area have had poor quality( ie rollover from the radio stations in the area). So those are not options I choose to explore as the rollover really bothers me and I do not have a cassette player in the Ridgeline.
  • thbarrettthbarrett Member Posts: 19
    Anyone know of a bedliner for the Ridgeline? I have 500 miles on a new Ridgeline and enjoy ever minute in it.

Thanks

Tom
    Tom, is there a problem with the factory composite bed? Seems to me that the Ridgeline was designed to do without, and any liner would have to be designed for the trunk lid opening.

John
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Exactly. The Ridgeline's bed is in effect a bedliner.

Bob
  • thbarrettthbarrett Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the repays. My fault, I miss spoke. I am looking for a bed mat so things won't slide around as much.

Thanks

Tom
  • bcp1bcp1 Member Posts: 21
    Oz39, I went to Leer's Web site. They have some really cool covers. They didnot
    show a pic for the Honda, but If you call them, I think the target date for delivery is some time in Nov. 2005.
  • guidogguidog Member Posts: 8
    when you need a roof rack, you need a rack. if you remove the crossbars then the rack is useless.
  • mike7842mike7842 Member Posts: 9
    I am getting a lot of oohs and ahhs with my Ridgeline. There is a curiosity factor. Most of the people have never seen one on the road as sales seem to be very slow. I have not seen another one driven in Richmond, VA. The ride is very smooth and the driving is effortless with lots of power. Gas mileage is a disappointing 17. For those of you that have a RTS, do not purchase the satellite radio accessory from Honda. You will get awful reception with the recommended antenna inside the front windshield. Purchase an aftermarket receiver and have the antenna placed on the roof. Great vehicle. First truck I have owned.
  • njdevil5njdevil5 Member Posts: 26
    Bought the rack for the looks primarily. IMO it adds to the tough image of the truck. It's too much effort to remove them and if I tried to do it myself, would inevitably lead to other problems! I'll settle for the bars slid to the back which has helped reduce the noise level.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    I thought I'd share a little story:

My wife and I were sitting in the RL in the Costco parking lot ( finishing up a comedy bit on the XM Radio) when this big guy looking a little surly walks to my drivers side door (thought it was one of these internet guys ready to give the internet "that ain't no real truck routine" when he lauches into a litany of what a great looking truck it is. He and his wife were even more blown away by the trunk, tail gate and cab. This is not an unusual experience as we drive our truck around our area. We always get avery positive experience from people that seek us out in parking lots and gas stations. People are generally pretty excited about the RL when they see it if they notice it at all.

On the internet, you run into people constantly that are bad mouthing the RL's looks and how it's not a real truck. This promps the question in my mind. Which is reality and do people even give the net any credibility at all, as I'm coming to believe that the net is almost filled with retarded trolls that haven't been loved by their parents as they fight this truck like it's a demon from hell.

Just wondering what peoples real life experience is with their RL.
  • gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    I have had similar experiences. The other day two cops came up to me at food place and asked me all about it. I had my wifes Toyota in for service yesterday and dropped her off to pick it up and a couple of sales guys came "hey nice truck". I don't get some of the postings on the net, like they are angry about the Ridge for some reason. All I can say is I have no problems after 6k miles and love it. Anyone considering it go drive one and you will be happy. :)
    I've got 4,000+ miles and not one problem.
  • havokhavok Member Posts: 18
    I had my '99 Accord in for recall service (thank God my tranny has not gone out yet), and saw a set of Ridgelines parked nearbye. I took a look and was impressed. The truck looks a lot better in person and seams very practical, unless you're going rock hopping. For an everyday driver and family vehicle it's pretty impressive. If I got one I would definately go for an aftermarket grill, 'though. I'd consider this maybe when the wife's highlander is paid off.
  • joedotcomjoedotcom Member Posts: 10
    Go here for an impressive roll top cover. No Leaks!!! E-mailed them and they have one for Honda RL. http://www.rolltopcover.com/customerphotos-honda.htm

A little expensive but I'm getting one after reading about all the problems people have had with Honda's top cover.

Joe
    Try here for really cool cover. Have picture of one on a Hond RL. Leak proof too!
    http://www.rolltopcover.com/customerphotos-honda.htm

Joe
    The only problem I see with composite bed is that it scratches VERY easily.
    The scratch marks are white because of the composite/fiberglass construction and are very noticeable.
    I have been looking for some type of linning also. Looked at rubber mats, indoor/outdoor carpet, HomeDepot/Lowe's rubber backed carpeting. etc., etc.
    Haven't decided on what to use yet. Any more options from anyone ????.

AutoZone and other Auto parts stores carry a flat black spray paint that covers scratches and matches the bed if anyone is interested.

Joe
    Does the roll top cover completely roll up so as to have access to the full bed? What price are they asking? Thanks Mike
  • msmithplanomsmithplano Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a Ridgeline. Question. Is there a MPG calculation that the vehicle displays? Or do you have to do this manually. I have navigation if that matters.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Not meaning to be a smarty pants, but I'm sure this information would be in your owners manual.
    my understanding was that this feature is turned "off" on the Ridgeline navigator system. Apparently it is internal to the unit, just not activated.

So manual it is, until Honda recodes the system.

John
  • msmithplanomsmithplano Member Posts: 4
    Thank-you John. I read the manuals cover to cover and didn't see anything but thought I would check if it was an oversight. Really liking the vehicle and seems to be well done for the first year production run.

Two years ago I bought a Cayenne S, and you wouldn't believe the software and electrical gremlins in that vehicle. Traded it in on the Ridgeline. Dramatically different vehicles for different purposes and really can't compare the two. But I have no regrets.

Hopefully, they will release a software update for the Nav.

Best regards,
  • spritegeezerspritegeezer Member Posts: 3
    I got a quote and some info from them today. The list price is $889 +$55 shipping. The top supposedly rolls up into an 11" x 11" package. The material is 3/4" polycarbonate. I have two greenhouses with that stuff and it shows no aging after 5 years of that "warm California sun." A little pricey but there aren't too many manufacturers producing stuff for the Ridgey yet. Don't worry, they will. There are going to be a lot of them. :)
    compared to the factory unit at $1500. Also, it is entirely more functional as you can still load stuff higher than the bed height.

John
    appears to be a problem with customers.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102883

I agree. I have yet to see a base RL model on dealer lots. Even so, I think Honda needs to drop the MSRP.

Bob
    Honda does not offer a "price-leader" Ridgeline, a truly entry-level model, something like a regular cab model with a manual tranny. I know, nothing like that exists in the current parts bin to pick from, but I think that is needed.

Bob
    Go here to see new photos of roll top on a RL. http://www.rolltopcover.com/customerphotos-honda.htm

Yes, it rolls up into a 11" x 11" area in front of bed (behind rear window)
    Designed not to rub on itself when rolled up into track and uses sealed roller bearings. Water proof and best of all, gets out of your way when loading/unloading cargo. Search site for construction details, very well made cover.

$889.00 plus shipping. I think the price is worth it, considering Honda's $1,500.00 plus cover that leaks and is always in the way.
    Thanks, but the pictures do not show the cover rolled up.
    Thanks, but the pictures do not show the cover rolled up.

Yes, there are many pictures of design and construction of roll top.
    Search site. Click on all the different text areas under Retrax header.

Here's a couple http://www.rolltopcover.com/pdf/reasons.pdf

http://www.rolltopcover.com/engineeringanddesign.htm
    Bob, the RT can be had for about $26.5k, which seems pretty cheap to me.

If you can't see Subaru making a new Baja for less than $30k, I would think the Ridgeline is pretty much a bargain.

John
    Try and and find an RT model. I haven't found any in my neck of the woods. They don't exist around here.

Bob
    True, RT-Ls are everywhere, but I can't find an RT. I'd like to actually see one.
    1 to 2 in per month. I was looking at one 6 weeks ago. They don't have lumbar in the driver seat, which is a must for me.

True, they don't need to do much to sell them

John
    More stellar news about the RL.

2006 Honda Ridgeline Earns Best-Ever Rollover Rating for a Pickup
    2005-08-01 16:18 (New York)

Government Testing Shows Ridgeline Safer, More Stable Than Other Pickups

TORRANCE, Calif., Aug. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    today announced that the 2006 Honda Ridgeline pickup has achieved the best
    rollover resistance rating of any pickup tested by the National Highway
    Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The results were posted today on the
    NHTSA web site www.safercar.gov. Demonstrating the depth of Honda's "Safety
    for Everyone" commitment, the Ridgeline earned industry-best ratings for both
    the Static Stability Factor (SSF) and Dynamic Rollover test modes.
    Specifically, Ridgeline earned a rating of 1.29 for the SSF test, a higher
    (better) calculated result than all other pickups tested, and experienced no
    "tip-up" during the dynamic test.

Earlier this year, Ridgeline, Honda's first pickup truck, was the
    first-ever 4-door pickup to receive NHTSA's 5-star safety rating, the highest
    safety rating possible, for both frontal and side impact crash test
    performance.

"With this new rating and earlier top level ratings for frontal and side
    impact crash protection, the Ridgeline is setting new standards for safety in
    the pickup segment, and once again demonstrates Honda's commitment to
    providing Safety for Everyone," said John Mendel, senior vice president,
    automotive operations of American Honda Motor Co. "We offer our customers
    products that are at once fun to drive, environmentally sound and at the
    leading edge of automotive safety. We feel this is a unique position for
    Honda in the marketplace."

Oh what a feeling.
  • hypecathypecat Member Posts: 10
    Alright, I have decided to buy a Ridgeline, the dealer has all 3 models, and I am having trouble deciding. What do you folks think, is the RT-S worth $2150 more than the RT? Is the RT-L worth $1300 more than the RT-S?

What do you think of the various colors?