Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• d3coyd3coy Posts: 3
    somthing that i dont see here being considered, is that if you plan to do ANY regular hauling or carrying of stuff in the bed, you may want to consider a different truck, aside from an unprooven track record in the truck manufacturing market, Honda dosent really look at this as a work truck, just look at the height of the bed sils, they're higher than the new f-15o, thus much harder to put things in or get them out, also the area where teh bed meets the cab is not level making it odd, if not impossible to put a toolbox on, and lets face it, if you're not buying it for it utility AS a truck, you're buying it for vanity, poseurs should drive somthing else.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,977
    and lets face it, if you're not buying it for it utility AS a truck, you're buying it for vanity, poseurs should drive somthing else.

Oh that's rich. If it wasn't for "poseurs" and their "trucks", the market for pickups would be around 25% of what it is.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    we disagree I think on the major upgrades the Ridgeline has made.

Simply, it has introduced carlike ride, handling, and AWD into the truck market. It did this with the independent rear suspension.

None of the others can make that claim. The Taco, Frontier, Avalanche, Sport Trac, etc. all fall short. Very short.

Only the Baja has these similar features. Only the 2007 Sport Trac is on the horizon.

The Ridgleline has a MAJOR opportunity to capitalize on what it is. But, they are trying to play too much truck with the juiced up engine. Fuel economy (and lack thereof) is going to hurt sales.

BTW, the current generation Forester is rated at 30 mpg highway, 2 more than the '03 I have.

John
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,613
    Oh, I agree that nothing on the market right now is a direct comparison ... but those are as close as you can get. The Baja may have similar goals, but the size just makes it an outlandish comparison.

I don't necessarily agree that fuel economy will hurt sales. Plenty of vehicles with worse mileage sell like hotcakes.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    Trade just for the milage?

Unless you can trade even-up you won't come out ahead until about 4 years. The Ridgeline will probably cost 3K more than your trade. (being optimisitc unless your Dodge is absolutely loaded)

18000miles @ 20mpg = 900 gallons of gas
    @14.7mpg = 1225 gallons
    diff of 325 gallons X $2.50 = $812 per year

The $812 per year sounds good, so it comes down to how much it the new Ridgline going to cost and how bad you want out of the Dodge.

In theory your breakeven is in about 3 to 4 years so maybe its worth it since your mpg is so bad.

I'm 6'5"ish and fit into a subie Outback. Then again define "fit". It all comes down to what your comfortable with. I love the 27+mpg and AWD. The Turbo models are around 250hp so power ain't an issue, but mpg drops a bit for those. Size for the Baja is.

Face it we all want safety, 50mpg, 250+hp, seats 5 adults, truck look, hauls everthing, costs next to nothing, and lasts forever. :)
    we are about to see a major financial hurt put on these gas hogs in the US.

It has already started with GM falling $1.50 below analysts expected return per share. Ford is next.

You won't be able to re-sell any of these vehicles for their normal value that they would have at gasoline prices below $2 per gallon. I don't begin to understand gasoline pricing, but I am willing to listen to people wiser than myself.

I expect in a couple years, there will be turbo-diesels in many more vehicles. Honda may even have one of GM's units in the Ridgeline.

John
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 487
    You got it backward. The poseurs are the one's driving the big trucks who do not really need them. As I have said over and over, the Ridgeline offers all of the capability that most truck buyers need, without the drawbacks. All Honda needs to hit their sales goals is less than 1% of the combined pickup / SUV market.

And it terms of an unproven track record, it is a Honda. Enough said.

P.S. Edmunds offers a check spelling feature. You really ought to try it out.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,651
    Yep, sounds good. Sign me up for one of those, Jay! ;-D
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • nwdrivernwdriver Posts: 5
    It appears the ridgeline has a 6,050lb. gross vehicle weight--which qualifies it for the $25,000 first year write-off for those using it for business. That's really nice.

I wish Honda would post a 6,000lb. GVW for the Pilot.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,965
    WOMEN AND TRUCKS. One of our journalists is writing an article about women and trucks: why they love their trucks, the decisions that they have to make when purchasing a truck versus a car, and whether or not they’ve encountered discrimination or bias when buying or driving a truck. If you’d like to share your story, please respond to jhelperin@edmunds by Sunday, March 26th. Thanks!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    "Since I drive an '03 Forester with the same engine and get 27 to 28 mpg, I know the Baja can do the same." - Once_for_all

There's a whole lot more to mpg than having the same engine. Weight, gearing, and aerodynamics will make a huge difference. Compare the Ridgeline with the Odyssey for example. Or the Element with the Accord.

"There are others that compare more directly. The Baja is not even close in size." - Gbrozen

Ditto. Comparisons with the Baja are like comparing a Civic with a Continental.

Half of the consumers out there don't know the difference between AWD and 4WD. Nor would they understand the difference between solid rear axle and IRS suspensions. People cross-shopped all the cross-over SUVs with standard, ladder frame SUVs when the cross-over trend started and they still do it today.

Not to mention that Baja's are so unloved, no one gives them a second thought. The Baja is a punch line, not a competitor. The closest competition at this point in time is the SportTrac. The CC versions of the Frontier, Tacoma, and Dakota play tier two.
    "...the area where teh bed meets the cab is not level making it odd, if not impossible to put a toolbox on..."

There's a trunk. Why spend extra cash on a toolbox? A toolbox is just going to take up space back there, anyway.

But as to the general point of your point, yes and no.

The Ridgeline is not a true work truck. However, it is a good truck for the Harry Homeowner crowd. And if Harry is going to buy a truck, I think he's better off with something like the Ridgeline than an F-150 or Titan. It'll handle 90% of the tasks other trucks are capable without giving up safety, comfort, and features. It's more than merely a real truck.

You can call that poseur if you like, but I'd call it smart.
  • tylermadetylermade Posts: 11
    I've had my truck since February 28th and have a little over 1000 miles. I've gotten: 18.87 mpg, 16.81 mpg (more city driving), and 18.13 mpg. I'll be taking a several-hundred-mile trip tomorrow and I'll report how the mileage does.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    How are you computing your mileage? Total miles divided by gallons pumped or by an onboard computer?
  • tylermadetylermade Posts: 11
    Total miles divided by gallons pumped.
    Varmint-- EPA highway for the Baja is 27 MT and 28 AT. Posters in the Baja forum have reported up to 30 mpg.

You didn't mention that driving habits are critical for mpg. Since I get 27 or 28 in my Forester, I should get the same in the Baja.

Well, if consumers don't know the difference between AWD and 4WD, and IRS and solid axles, then they probably don't care about handling and performance either. I am always amazed at how some people love the way Toyota Siennas and Towncars drive. It just doesn't do it for me. The crispness of our MPV and Forester are a joy. BTW, the Ody (in 2002) was a nice driving experience too.

I agree to disagree--the Ridge's major contribution to trucking is the IRS, AWD, and the handling and safety features that go along with that. No one else (except Subaru) has attempted this radical and logical design progression. But, more are to follow, IMO.

John
    this just in VW intending to come out with a "robust" pickup based on the Toureg.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101992

It would be great if they roll it out with the turbo diesel.

John
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,613
    we'll see, but if its priced like its SUV counterpart, it will be too expensive to compete with the Ridgeline.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,977
    And knowing VW's history, it'll be available in Europe in 2012 and then in the US in 2014. Oh and it'll be priced like a BMW 7 series but it'll have a nice interior.
    "EPA highway for the Baja is 27 MT and 28 AT."

And that would be about 9.6% lower than the Outback which it is based on. That is about the same difference between a Pilot and Ridgeline.

I'm not going to get into what you think you should get from a vehicle.

"I agree to disagree--the Ridge's major contribution to trucking is the IRS, AWD, and the handling and safety features that go along with that."

Oh, no. Don't get me wrong. We agree on that part. (Though I would add the unibody-on-frame, as well.) I just don't see that having hardware in common makes them direct competition. My CR-V has double-wishbone suspension. Trust me, that doesn't make it competition for an Integra Type R.

Market segments are not defined by what separates vehicles. They are defined by what the vehicles have in common. And The Ridgeline has a lot more in common with the trucks I listed above than it does with the Baja.
    9.6% lower?? Outback is 28 AT and MT, about the same as Baja.

Subaru's EPA ratings tend to be conservative, except for the Turbos. The smile factor tends to mash the pedal to the floor from what I hear. I haven't driven one yet for fear that I will need to smile a lot more.

John
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,965
    We're always open to discussing new vehicles at the chats! So stop by tonight and talk about the Ridgeline with us!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles Message Boards

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tnfarmtnfarm Posts: 1
    Picked up my new Ridgeline Friday March 18th. The first tank was 17.25 MPG. Averaged 21.10 MPG on a 400 mile round trip to Nashville @ 75 MPH. I am very pleased with the truck and the MPG looks to be very good overall. I would recommend the truck to anyone looking for an excellent multi purpose vehicle.
    You're ignoring the city cycle.
    that is good news. If we hear more of this, I may be back in looking at it again. Especially if we see $2000 legit dollars off the MSRP.

John
    allright just to humor you:

Outback AT 22/28
    Baja AT 21/28.

I still don't see 9.6% for the auto.

Outback MT 23/28
    Baja MT 21/27.

Maybe you did your math on the Baja MT?

If so what do you figure the average is for the Outback, and the average for the Baja?

Regardless of what the EPA says, don't believe the numbers saying the MTs are less than the ATs for Subaru.

Ridgeline content: I would love to see an MT model.

John
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Posts: 408
    My third half tank is 17.3 mpg. the Highway is kind of mountainous with some long grades. I'm also not using cruise during the break in period. 600 miles on it so far.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Let's not get too far off the beaten path with Subaru notes... plenty of Subie discussionbs here at Edmunds for those :)

kcram - Pickups Host
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,931
    hi varm,
    been through this before on this discussion in general. 'harry' goes to the home improvement store, buys 500 lbs of cargo, or it snows. gets a flat tire. what happens next?