Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• suvguy2005suvguy2005 Posts: 19
    If you think about it, all pick-ups look goofy. Take a look at this photo. By comparison the Ridgeline has the best silhouette by far.

His the link to the C&D comparison test.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=9470

• tiger9tiger9 Posts: 2
    I really like everything about the Ridgeline and would like to purchase one except for one thing - the side view is U-G-L-Y beyond anything I can do or think to help it.
  • I was able to purchase my RTL for $2300 under MSRP, had two dealers matching the price. The "No Haggle" dealer in Denver is $1800 under MSRP. Second tank of gas all highway miles I got 21.5 mpg.
  • chris40chris40 Posts: 6
    Are the April sales numbers out yet? It's almost mid-May. Just wondering. Would be interested to read those as well.
  • chris40chris40 Posts: 6
    Still not seeing any Ridgelines on the road in the greater NY/NJ area. I talk of the Ridge at work and not too many people know about it or know what I'm talking about. Odd. Local dealer here has 26 Ridge's available. I see inventories going up at other dealers around here as well. Also, no newspaper Ads for the Ridge at all from the same Honda dealers who advertise every weekend in the regional newspapers. I'm starting to think its some sort of weird tactic by Honda.

I've been reading the posts here and it sure sounds like patience will be rewarded greatly once the prices come down to what a lot of the posters here feel that they should be... :)
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    in my Ridgeline "wish list" for the future, I mentioned possibly doing a regular cab model with an 8' bed—and possibly even having side bed doors, to set it apart from other pickup trucks with 8' beds.

Well, back in 1961 Chevy offered a rear-engined Corvair-based pickup called the "Rampside." Check out the link:

http://www.mindspring.com/~corvair/fc1.html#models

Like the Ridgeline's 2-way tailgate—an old idea first seen on domestic station wagons back in the '70s, maybe it's time to reinvestigate this idea too?

Also, check out the link "Styling Buck" on the Loadside pickup, in which an under the bed floor storage area is accessed from the side of the truck.

http://www.mindspring.com/~corvair/ProtoRamp.html

http://www.mindspring.com/~corvair/FCart/ProtoRamp2_orig.jpg

Some neat ideas here.

Bob
  • 4wdave14wdave1 Posts: 8
    I agree about the UGLY part. That kept me away for a month, but once I drove it, I had to have one. Believe me, it looks much better from the inside -- and it's worth it!
    Yep, the inside of the Ridgeline has no competitors in terms of midsize trucks. It's extremely functional and very comfortable, front and back.

Bob
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,758
    Doesn't Nissan have some panels on the rear quarter of the bed? I doubt you could do those today - isn't that where the gas tank is now? Probably back in the 60's the gas tank was behind the rear suspension.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,758
    I've become quite fond on the Ridgeline's styling. Bob - you're the expert. Is it industrial?
    I'm not sure by what you mean when you say "industrial?"

Bob
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    how funny, do you normally take Ashlan east and then Academy north to go home?

I saw a white Ridge as I traveled home last week, the only one I have seen so far in Fresno.

Glad you like your Ridgeline. How did it do in the snow the last few days?

John
    bleecch, it looks like my '66 Econoline Pickup.

It beats the Corvair hands down, I can sit in the driver's seat to change plugs.

When the carb needs work, just move over to the passenger's seat.

3 on the tree too. Now the truth is out--there is stiff competition here for looks with the Ridgeline.

John
    I see the Ridgeline's styling (front bumper to windshield) as having been influenced by HD construction trucks with set back front axles.

Bob
    lol and sign me up for one of those combo chrome fuel tank/step up rails for my next Ridgeline.

John
  • I just recently drove a Ridgeline and decided it is the truck I want. However, the major drawback is the lack of aftermarket cab-high topper or shell. I contacted two aftermarket dealers in the area and they did not know of one. Anyone else have information on the subject?
    I was serious. I do think Honda drew some inspiration from these kinds of vehicles for their front end styling.

Look at the absolutely in-your-face, upright, flat plane that the International-like Ridgeline's grille is on, and look how the Ridgeline's front fenders are pulled back, much like the International shown here. Plus the wheels are set back, again much like this International with the set back front axle. I really think Honda was trying to capture some of the "big-rig" feeling with their truck. I'm not saying they were totally successful, but I do think that's what they were trying for.

Bob
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    I agree. I never would have drew the parallel myself, but I think your assessment is spot-on. The grill/light look of the International is very similar to that of the Ridgeline.

I know I am an odd duck, but I thought that the pickup versions of old '60s vans were far more functional/practical than the pickups themselves. The biggest reason is just that they made such better use of space! Nevermind that they were hideously out of proportion, they were functional. I love my '69 Econoline van, but if it was a pickup version of itself, it would be even more functional than it already is... and all in a very compact package. It is about 2 feet or more so shorter than my standard cab, 8' bed '69 C20 and has just as much cargo and cab space if you forgive the intrusion of the "dog house."

Okay, so I am hopelessly off topic. What were we talking about again?
    A couple observations from an owner of one of these beasts:

1) There is no place for the engine heat to go, except into the cab

2) The speedometer is so far away from the back of the tranny, you have to custom fabricate the cable and guide, this was about $100 5 years ago.

Other than that, you are right.

Interestingly, my E-100 Pickup has a 400 lb cast iron plate bolted underneath the bed between the fuel tank and the bottom of the bed. This is to keep a little bit of weight on the rear end.

Sorry way off topic.

John
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    I've seen vans with a custom conversion into pick-up duty. The last one had a fifth wheel in the back for heavy duty towing. I believe it was used for towing horse trailers. Essentially, the front two rows of seats were saved, but the rear of the vehicle had been hacked off to make a pickup bed. A rear wall for the cab was fabricated from diamond plate.
  • teterteter Posts: 8
    i am new to this discussion not sure if i am asking a question in the right spot? anyone know how to lift this truck a bit to bet 285s or a bit bigger tire?
  • savvygalsavvygal Posts: 3
    Do you or anyone you know tow with the Ridgeline? I have a 2 horse trailer, that when full has a weight of 4600#s. The salesguy said "not a problem". Of course they're going to say that! I do not pull very often and actually, would only be pulling one horse most of the time which brings the weight down to around 3900-4000#s. I will mostly be using this as my daily vehicle. I'm so torn as Toyota has a great deal on the Tundra right now BUT IT"S HUGE.
    What are folks getting for MPG?
    Thanks for the help
    Savvygal
    The Tundra would be the better tow vehicle. The Ridgeline would be the better daily driver.

How often do you tow, and how far? Many (any?) steep hills? If it's not too often, or too far, or too hilly, the Ridgeline would be okay I would think.

Bob
  • savvygalsavvygal Posts: 3
    I live in the Hudson River Valley which is fairly smooth with mild hills. I do tow back to Western Mass on occasion, maybe 7 times a year. That trip takes me over the Berkshires on the Mass Pike., still not huge inclines compared to say the Rockies, but my old Chevy truck had to work to go up them. It is an 89 small 8, 1/2 ton that is really just tired. I would most likely make that trip with just 1 horse most of the time. I would like just one vehicle instead of 2. I love the Tundra but I'm a sales gal who is on the road everyday. A big truck just makes it more "work" to go to work.
    Thanks for the input
    Anyone else with thoughts? These Ridgelines are so new around here that I can't find anyone locally to ask.
    What about a Toyota Tacoma? It can tow 6500 pounds, 1500 more than the Ridgeline, and is not as big as the Tundra? Or a midsize SUV like a 4Runner V8? The V8 4Runner would be a very good tow vehicle.

Bob
  • tex8tex8 Posts: 12
    HONDA NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT HOW EASILY THE BED SCRATCHES WITH ANY KIND OF CARGO. THE BLACK SURFACE IS SO THIN THE WHITE FIBERGLASS SHOWS UP EVEN WITH MINOR SCRATCHES. I TOUCHED UP MINE WITH TRIM PAINT FROM AUTO ZONE :mad:
  • ridgeowner3ridgeowner3 Posts: 27
    Savvygal you should look at the Ridgeline Owners Club for more answers.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Posts: 408
    HONDA NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT HOW EASILY THE BED SCRATCHES WITH ANY KIND OF CARGO. THE BLACK SURFACE IS SO THIN THE WHITE FIBERGLASS SHOWS UP EVEN WITH MINOR SCRATCHES

I've heard from a Honda factory worker that motor oil will fix up those scratches. Let us know if it works. Personally I will be using a 4 X 5 foot piece of plywood in the bottom of the bed for those occassions when I haul things that would leave deep scratches. You could paint the plywood flat black and it wouldn't even be noticable.
  • 4wdave4wdave Posts: 16
    "how funny, do you normally take Ashlan east and then Academy north to go home?" Yes

"I saw a white Ridge as I traveled home last week, the only one I have seen so far in Fresno.

Glad you like your Ridgeline. How did it do in the snow the last few days?" Not enough snow to notice. I see a woman driving down the hill in a white Ridgeline every day when I'm on my way up.