Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• gd113gd113 Posts: 114
    Really? Sales must have improved greatly since November 2005.

I guess so unless Honda is lying.............

ORRANCE, Calif., March 1 /PRNewswire/ -- American Honda Motor Co., Inc., is posting record February vehicle sales of 106,644, up 8.7 percent, led by increases for its most popular models including the all-new Civic and the
    re-designed Accord, up 37.6 percent and 4.4 percent, respectively. Year-to-date sales of 205,038 are up 14.1 percent.

Honda Division is posting record February sales of 92,498 cars and light trucks, an increase of 12.8 percent, with additional records broken for total Honda truck sales of 41,980 and Pilot sales of 10,901. Year-to-date, Honda Division is up 18.1 percent with sales of 176,911.

Civic sales of 24,722 include 1,780 Civic Hybrids (up 31.6 percent) and Accord sales of 25,285 include 783 Accord Hybrids. February combined sales of Honda's three hybrid vehicles are up 18.2 percent to 2,635, and up
    47.5 percent for the year to 6,210. February marks the first full year for the Ridgeline with sales cumulatively reaching 50,892, on-track with its 12-month
    sales target of 50,000 units.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Really? Sales must have improved greatly since November 2005.

Yes, they did.

November = 5,243
    December = 6,589
    January = 3,814
    February = 4,485

Obviously, these numbers don't compare well with sales of something like the F-150, but each of those months is higher than the 3,200 unit average Honda was selling before November. Actually, October was also a good month with 4,974 units sold.

Prior to those months, Ford and GM were having their employee sales. That made it very difficult for Honda to compete without also using incentives.
  • That Honda (barely) hit its goal has got to be a disappointment. It gets truck of the year from MT, Consumer Reports touts it and...at the end of the year...dealers were offering blow-out-the-inventory leases. Plus, Honda advertises the hell out of the thing.

The marketing effort for Honda was running on all six cylinders (sorry) but the thing hasn't caught on at all. I hardly see them on the road in Minnesota.

If the Ridgeline were any good, it would have sold a lot more than it did. 50,000 units is nearing boutique status.
    Oh come on. They set and goal and got it. The Ridgeline is a niche vehicle and set a goal for such. They never said it was taking the the F150.
  • Yes, they got it, but only by giving them away at the end of the year. Few people seem to want to buy one, but more are willing to lease one, provided the terms are great.

I think more people than not know about the weak links of the Honda powertrain. There are a lot of people out there who have had personal experience with the fragile transmissions in their Odys and MDXs and such. The Ridgeline that Edmunds tested broke its struts -- the same thing that happened to a friend's MDX (which also lost it's tranny).

Here's the sad fact: Honda used to be known for excellent durable engines and drivetrains. With the Ridgeline, the reputation is not good from day one. Honda overplayed their hand with this vehicle, simple as that.
    Where are you getting the lease vs buy data? It may be true but how do you know. Ford and GM are also giving away, and have been for some time, their vehicles at far bigger discounts than Honda.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,268
    Honda overplayed their hand with this vehicle, simple as that.

que? How is hitting your projection overplaying your hand?? Sounds like they played it exactly right.

OH, do you mean because they offered a bit of money? Hahahahaahah! Yeah, $1k dealer money is really begging for sales, isn't it? So what exactly, in that case, would we have to call Chevy's $4k trunk money on the Avanalanche? or Ford's $2500 on the crew cab F150? (and, keep in mind, that's current. We all know Ford and Chevy go much higher than that in the rebate column.)

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• bitusabitusa Posts: 60
    It's unfortunate, but the domestics have to "give away bigger discounts" to sell vehicles. Even the F-150 which, IMHO is the best pick-up truck on the road. If Ford were to remove the rebates, their sales would drop like a rock. Interestingly, when Ford has cut back on the rebates, their truck share didn't decline much, but their sales did. These potential F150 customers weren't buying anything else, they were just waiting until the rebates came back.

You are right about the rebates, though. The domestics have had to put more money out there. But in the past several months, GM and Ford have reduced their rebates while the imports have added more variable marketing dollars (rebates, special APR and lease deals.) There was a Detroit News article about it several weeks ago.
  • chuck999chuck999 Posts: 38
    Wow! Can't believe how contentious this forum remains.

Last year I had a hard time deciding between the new Ridgeline and a Toyota Tundra. Got a great deal on a loaded TRD 4WD Access Cab Tundra (invoice - $2000) when RL were just coming out and going for MSRP...

One year later I like the Tundra a lot, great ride, great V8 engine and 5spd auto trans with decent mileage (18 highway). Comfortable to drive and no mechanical problems at all in 12k miles. Kids getting a little cramped in the access cab rear though, and the Honda AWD system is much more secure in the rain and snow. I know this for sure - drive my wife's MDX pretty often.

Then - I load up our 4 kayaks (on a TracRac which holds 700 pounds) and 4 bikes (onto the factory hitch).. and remember why I got the Tundra in the first place ...

The Ridgeline just couldn't carry our stuff easily.. The 150 lb limit on the roof rack, and short, non-standard bed were real deal killers for me ....

If Honda ever asks my advice (doubtful) I'd suggest that they think about adding some kind of over bed rack system that would allow a person to carry FOUR kayaks up high. Or a couple of ladders. Or maybe even 4-5 bicycles.

Also, I have agree with some of the posters who keep hammering Honda for a factory tow package. The Tundra came with hitch and wiring ready to go ... Adding on to the MDX was a pretty big hassle (and expense)... RL is actually a little harder because have to go into the DASH unlike in the MDX where wiring is accessed through rear compartment. Although don't have to add the trans cooler to RL ...

Good luck with the RL - still think it's a great vehicle with a great AWD system and some very cool features. Just wish it would have worked out for me ....
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    Here in Columbus, Ohio, Ricart Ford (a huge store) is advertising a 24 month lease (21,000 mile limit) on a 2006 F150 Supercab 4X4 ($30,xxx MSRP) for $995 out of pocket and $159 per month.

Talk about a firesale price! I sure as hell don't need another vehicle but that one is hard to resist.
    Well, heck, a while back when Ford introduced the brand new F-150, they had to put 500 bucks on the hood. It had rebates before dealers even got their hands on them. Using your logic, that makes the F-150 a loser from the very beginning.

Everybody in this segment uses incentives to bolster sales. It's expected by the buying public. Honda tried not to and sales were slow as a result.

50K units is close to boutique status. But the Explorer Sport Trac started off selling 40K units a year. The Avalanche sold about 70K units. The market for crew cab pick-ups is growing, but it's not the largest chunk of the market. Wooddorker provided numbers for us a while back. In October Toyota sold 6,080 4x4 Tacomas. Honda sold 4,974 AWD Ridgelines. If you remove the number of Tacomas that were NOT crew cabs, you'll likely find that Honda sold more of that type of truck than Yota did.

The Ridgeline simply targets a smaller portion of the market.
    Is that many folks have the unrealistic expectation that every vehicle Honda produces is going to sell like gangbusters and sell far above MSRP. Sure, Honda has had their fair share of those vehicles. But expecting a grand slam every time a batter steps up to the plate is just silly.
  • maple2maple2 Posts: 177
    Is that many folks have the unrealistic expectation that every vehicle Honda produces is going to sell like gangbusters and sell far above MSRP. Sure, Honda has had their fair share of those vehicles. But expecting a grand slam every time a batter steps up to the plate is just silly.

agreed honda really struck out this time
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Functionally the Ridgeline is very close to a Grand Slam in my opinion. Difficulty of adding a hitch and cost of adding a hitch is a minor error.
    Pricing is too high and options pkgs. could be allow for more individual selection. $1500 off every trim level is where pricing would be optimum, IMO.

I can forgive all of the above since the Ridgeline is a wonderfully functional design.

It is the styling that bothers me. :sick: It is ugly.
    The creases in the lower doors and the squared off bulging fenderwells are what ruins it for me. If only it had the fenderwells and doors of the Pilot I would own a Ridgeline.

I nearly purchased a use blue Ridgeline with nav and tow pkg. last week despite the exterior! It is certainly a fun truck to drive.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,663
    segment changing design, etc...
    honda produced a bunch of the cheaper models as the year went on and added incentives. management had to make their goals to get their bonus. :surprise: not.
    it's a niche vehicle. good for those who want one.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Posts: 408
    Let me give you a little truth about Ridgeline sales. The Ridgeline is a leading seller in its narrow market segment. That segment being (midsize, 4x4, crew cab, shortbed, trucks) It sells as well or better than the Toyota Taco, and out sells the Avalanche consistently. Honda produced a top seller in this segment.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Posts: 833
    I've got a 2004 F150 supercab and yes, there is a full size spare located under the bed. It comes down using the jack handle as a crank from behind the truck. I know, cause I watched a guy do it for me as provided by Ford for the first 3 years 24/7 roadside assistance.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Posts: 833
    have to say I agree 100% with you. The one turn off I have with this truck is the looks - if only it just had the front end of the Pilot I'd be happy.

Where did you see the used Pilot for sale?
    anywhere near Northern California?
    That segment being (midsize, 4x4, crew cab, shortbed, trucks) It sells as well or better than the Toyota Taco, and out sells the Avalanche consistently. Honda produced a top seller in this segment.

i dont know if it outsells the avalanche or not but what would be the point the avalanche isnt mid size you dont really want to start another avalanche vs ridgeline comparison do you? but at any rate even if it did outsell the avalanche considering its short time on the dealer lots (and there seem to be plenty of them around me on the lots) i would hardly say it "consistently" outsells anybody
    in fact from what i hear the ridgeline sales are falling like a stone

from what you hear?
    I hear the world is ending this week.
    Opinions vary based on who you are listening to.

you dont really want to start another avalanche vs ridgeline comparison do you?

yeah, you're right. Why bother showing this vehicle as it stands in its market? Its far better to spout off THE SAME unsupported naysaying and criticisms based on heresay and "feelings" over and over and over and over and over ...

"Sales are falling like a stone." Yes where does this info come from 2 weeks into the month. Read my prior post on the Ridgeline hitting its total year target in February. Their monthly sales have been increasing the last few months.
    all the hype over the ridge is gone and all the honda groupies that had to buy one just cause it is a honda have bought them the only sales that are left for them is the odd soccer mom or part time gardner it is useless for anybody else, anybody who drives a truck and actually uses it as a truck occasionally will be quick to find that out, as has my friend who bought one even after i warned him that the ridge would not stand up for his needs but he wouldnt listen so he traded in his silverado now he is kicking himself
    Wow, thanks for that factual explanation. I'll post the March sales later this month.
    yeah, because that's how car sales work. :/

Its gonna be a shame when all the folks who just had to have the new Civic dry up and that becomes an orphan, too. Poor, poor Honda.

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Its gonna be a shame when all the folks who just had to have the new Civic dry up and that becomes an orphan, too. Poor, poor Honda.

Good example. Honda never competed in the compact car segment prior to 2006 Civic. ;) :surprise:
    funny how the only way they are selling any ridges these days are because of the incentives honda had to put on them but thats ok right? but when gm or ford puts incentives on to sell cars thats not ok that means they are junk and nobody wants them right keep your head in the sand we will see where the ridgeline is in 2 yrs (if they havent pulled the plug on it by then)
    when gm or ford puts incentives on to sell cars thats not ok that means they are junk and nobody wants them

Are those your words or someone elses? If someone elses, please provide the original source.

I know you have said the complete opposite, though. You feel the Ridge is garbage because Honda put a minor amount of dealer money behind it. Yet you fail to put that in perspective next to bigger and widely advertised rebates on the domestics. You have an interestingly narrow view.

• m4mulveym4mulvey Posts: 11
    Funny thing - personal taste...

While I'm not thrilled by the Ridge's grille and headlight cluster, I can live with it. However I do find the overall profile really good-looking, especially from the side.

Personally I hate the more rounded shapes that many trucks have adopted in recent years.

Like the earlier Odyssey design. Many hated it but my wife and I love its slight angularity. Pity they had to go mess it up in '05 now it looks like and overgrown Mazda MPV from the front.
    Practically every vehicle has an incentive. GM and Ford have much larger incentives on their vehicles, why aren't all the buyers going there? $5k off a GM vehicle and people are still going to Hondas. Don't get the argument. If the Ridgeline is meeting its targets why would they pull the plug.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Posts: 408
    and there seem to be plenty of them around me on the lots) i would hardly say it "consistently" outsells anybody

Nope, your wrong, the Ridgeline is a top seller in it's segment. Why would honda pull the plug on the best selling vehicle in its segment?