Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• accumacaccumac Member Posts: 16
    I had a 2004 with utili trak, the plastic covers over the floor tracks would slide into the back of the cab when stopping and would slide into the tailgate when starting out. This was a substantial thud whenever starting or stopping. I got rid of the problem when I traded in the '04 on a '06 and the plastic covers now have built in stops so they don't slide around. The noise actually stopped when I hauled a load of mulch in the '04 and then the tracks were jammed with mulch. In case anyone is interested, the '06 is a great improvement, no brake judder, no dash rattles, the tailgate assist is wonderful and the back under seat storage is absolutely worth it!
  • jeffhudyjeffhudy Member Posts: 1
    Robert26 - I have a Titan 05 2WD with 18K miles and the grabbing feeling started suddenly about a month ago (jan. 06) about a day after routine service by the dealer. Only does it after driving about 10 minutes and accelerating below 40 mph or so. Up a some hill makes it worse. I took it back to dealer after about 2 weeks and 3 service techs and manager all drove it and felt it - but no solution. They said keep driving it and maybe it will get worse. It has not for last 2-3 weeks. Any progress on yours?
  • titanguy1titanguy1 Member Posts: 4
    Ive had my 04 Titan in for judder FIVE times dealer has been great up til now. 1st time turned,pads ,shims ect., 2nd pads,rotors,all the way around ( so they said ) 3rd time same thing 4th turned and pads. Now they said Im dbreaking to hard when towing! Their proof all 4 rotors are blueed and I have a trailer hitch on the back of the truck. but i hardly ever tow and when I do its 3000# or less on the extremlly rear time of heavier towing the trailers have had surge breaks. Now that said and several heated discussions later dealer said Nissan would pay for the repair. My concern is they are just putting on new parts not fixing the underlying problem Would they only change the oil filter if they found metal shaving in it? And then how many times are they going to pay for the replacement of parts. If you have any advise please help.
  • titanguy1titanguy1 Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 04 SE KC w/o big tow and 39000 miles in to the dealer 5 times they have done all the expected fixes pads rotors shims ect. I tow once in a great while about 3000 pounds. most of my driving is highway. The dealer says I'm abusing the breaks and Nissan is not going to pay to have it "fixed" again. what do I do?
  • chfwtxchfwtx Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone else getting a rattle under the dash while driving on the HWY? I get the noise after the truck reaches 50 mph or more.
  • robert26robert26 Member Posts: 10
    YES!

but i have experienced this noise after driving on forest service road for about 3 or 4 miles and now it is here to stay no matter where i drive!

let me know if you get any info.
  • tenntitantenntitan Member Posts: 1
    help! just bought new 06 titan se crew cab 2wd two days ago. at idle in park, easing into the gas, as the rpms climb am noticing a vibration in the motor. not as smooth as i would have imagined. also seem to feel vibration at 60 mph plus. has anyone else experienced this problem? thanks.
  • highrollerhighroller Member Posts: 351
    I think the plexiglass right by the dashboard is causing al lthe noises. While i was driving, i pressed against it and it stopped squeaking/rattling.
  • dbrocknerdbrockner Member Posts: 8
    Be prepared to bring the truck back every 4 to 5k miles for brake service. I have an 04 cc LE I HAVE HAD IT IN 12 TIMES FOR BRAKES. THEY STILL HAVNT GOT IT RIGHT. EVERYTIME I BRING IT IN THEY TELL ME THEY HAVE THE FIX FOR IT. THIS IS THE WORST TRUCK I HAVE EVER OWNED. GAS MILAGE SUCKS, DRIVE TRAIN IS CLUNKING, FOUR WHEEL DOES NOT WORK, RADIO FADES OUT, POWER WINDOWS DO NOT WORK RIGHT, NOW I HAVE A LOSS OF POWER AT 50 TO 60 MPH. 46000 MILES I WILL NEVER BUY AMOTHER NISSAN PRODUCT. THERE SEVICE IS HORRIBLE. THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF TRUCK PEOPLE. :sick:
    I SUGGEST TRADING THE TRUCK IN FOR A PILE OF DOGSHIT, YOU WILL BE FAR AHEAD OF THE GAME.
    HAVE LAWYER SEND A LETTER. THEY HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH THIS ROLLING PIECE OF GARBAGE THEY CALL A TRUCK, AND THEY KNOW IT. I WOULD LIKE TO START A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST NISSAN. THEY KNOW ABOUT THIS BRAKE PROBLEM, IVE HAD MY TRUCK IN 12 TIMES FOR BRAKES 46000 MILES 2004 CC LE. I HATE NISSAN.... :sick: :confuse: :cry: :lemon:
    DONT BUY A TITAN THEY SUCK, I LIVE ON LONG ISLAND IN NY AND I AM NOT ALONE WHEN I SAY BUY A FORD, GMC, DODGE OR ANY OTHER TRUCK, DO NOT BUY A TITAN. THEY HAVE GREAT ADS THE TRUCK LOOKS GOOD AND SOMETIMES SOUNDS GOOD. THEY GOT ME.
    I HAVE 46000 MILES ON MY TITAN AND I AM A MAINTENANCE NUT FREAK. I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH THE TRUCK AND NOTHING BUT DENIALS FROM SMITHTOWN NISSAN. I HAVE HAD TO FIGHT FOR EVERY WARRANTEE. IN 12 TIMES FOR BRAKES. WAITING ON PARTS. NO SERVICE LOANERS, CANT DUPLICATE COMPUTER ERRORS, INTERMITANT PROBLEMS, STRANDED ME FOUR TIMES. I HATE THIS TRUCK AND I HATE NISSAN. I HAVE HAD VEHICLES THAT HAVE SOME PROBLEMS BEFORE THEY WERE USUALLY STRAIGHTENED OUT AND GONE BUY 10 TO 12K MILES. THIS PIECE OF JUNK JUST KEEPS GETTIN WORSE AND WORSE. IF I WERE A RICH MAN I WOULD DONATE IT TO THE FIRE DEPT TO LET THEM BURN IT FOR :lemon: :lemon: CAR FIRE PRACTICE. I WOULD LOVE TO WATCH IT BURN. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:11111
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I owned a '95 Nissan 4X4 SE V6 pickup with 5 speed manual transmission for 10 years. I had very few problems with the truck and the only brake work I ever did to it was one time replacement of the front disc pads (no rotor turning necessary). Never touched the rear drum brakes. I was considering buying a new Nissan Titan, but the dealer I went to talked me out of it. It was a Chevy/Nissan dealer, and I ended up with an '06 Chevy Silverado Z71 crew cab truck. The dealer said that they took care of the most problems on the '06 Titan trucks , but the fuel economy is still worse than on the Chevy trucks by about 2-3 MPG. So far I have no complaints about the Silverado. Get about 15 MPG in city driving, and up to 17 MPG highway with the 5.3 V8 and 3.73 gears.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear that you have had such rotten luck with your truck. Sounds like my terrible experience with a Volkswagen car years ago.
  • toratora Member Posts: 3
    Dude, your dealership sucks. I took my 04 XE CC Titan last month to my dealer because of a trailer harness recall and complained about a slight vibration/judder. They installed an upgraded front rotor, pad and some type of pin/bolt(there is an upgrade fix for the brake issue). I also mentioned to the service writer that my rear diff. is rusting and was replaced with the aluminum finned cover and synthetic oil; all under warranty and with NO HASSLES. My only complaint is that they couldn't find what's causing that annoying ticking noise(someday, it'll be found and fixed). I test drove the Chevy, Dodge and Ford before deciding on the Titan and have been very satisfied(If I had the extra $$, I would have bought the Chevy DuraMax 2500. But again, that's a different category). I owned a '91 F-150 XLT just prior and believe me,it had it's fair share of problems. If you're hating the truck, get rid of it and get something else that will make you happy. Follow that rule in general and you'll enjoy life more(hate your job - quit, hate your wife - divorce her, hate life - vote for assisted suicide).
    There is a site that has the TSB's for free. If you're having trouble with the A/C, brakes, windows, etc., check it out. They don't update right away but it's cheaper than paying to view them from All Data or Nissan. www.nissanhelp.com
  • wirewizzwirewizz Member Posts: 4
    When I apply brakes over ice, my 05 Titan's front Anti-locks make an awful noise. They seem to be working. Nissan service writer cannot answer the question. I also noticed a similar noise from the front wheels when my rear wheels are spinning in 2WD and the "Slip" light flashes on dash. Anyone experience these noises or do I have a problem?

Thanks,
    John
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Let's see, when the slip light is on it sounds like the truck is coming apart? Yup, that's normal, mine has been that way since day one and now 47,000 miles later is still that way. Its the ABLS activating to control the wheel spin. Now if you have VDC that's a whole 'nother noise there, that one is LOUD, startles me when it does its thing, but its prevented a major accident so I don't worry too much about it.

ABS is noisy, I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle that had quiet ABS when it activated while stepping on the brakes.
  • chuchowiechuchowie Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2wd 2004 Titan and sold it last week (it had 44K miles). I let the buyer keep it 4 days to test it and have it checked out. His mechanic said that the brake roters needed to be turned, I called the dealer where I purchased it and they offered to replace it all for free. The buyer called the dealership in his town and they said the same thing so he purchased it and I assume it has been done.
    I purchased a 2006 Titan in it's place (with the tow pachage). I HAVE NEVER HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM with the 2004 and love the 2006. I hate to read all those horror stories without at least commenting on the great luck I have had so far. I really love the Titan and plan to keep one in the driveway and reccomend it. Good luck to the rest of you.
  • dean_bartlettdean_bartlett Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 Titan LE King Cab and the backup sensors work fine - although I do find you are quite close before they activate - I suggest that you move VERY SLOW when backing up. This sounds like a good idea with or withought the sensor.

As for the ashtray - I was also surprised to find that it did not come with one - I asked the dealer to get me one and when it arrived it consisted of a little cup-sized unit that goes into one of the front cup holders beside the gear shifter and the push/pop style lighter that goes into the driver side power port. It seems less glamorous than the rest of the truck indeed !
  • dean_bartlettdean_bartlett Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Titan LE King cab and generally love it.

I have had it for just over a year and have 20,000 Kms on it now.

I have had a couple of problems - the stereo cut out after about 45 mins at almost full volume (I like my tunes when crusing down the highway) the dealer replaced it and all is good now.

I am having the usual poblem with the brakes Nissan is replacing them with bigger better rotors / pads at no charge.

I am also having a problem with the cruise control - when I turn it on the power on light in the dash lights up but the set light also continues to flash off and on and the cruise control will not activate. If I turn off the ignition and re-start is seems to be fine.

This has only happened 2 times in over a year and the dealer has promised to fix it whatever is causing it.

I bought the truck from Eastern Nissan in Manitoba and I can't say enough good things about them - they are great - they even came and picked up the truck, left me a loaner to drive and when they were done came and droped off the truck and took the loaner back - it just does not get any better than that!
  • edfinkleedfinkle Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at the 2006 "Texas" Titan and really like the truck. However, the well known problems of the 2004 models seem to be working against the Titan overall. Are there any 2006 Titan owners out there that can comment on the truck performance to date?

Thanks.

Ed
  • volcanyvolcany Member Posts: 1
    That Ticking noise has been a nightmare for me, It started from the bottom of the engine, it was so loud that the Nissan Service Manager had to acknowledge it, but said he could not take the engine apart to find out what it was, to wait if it gets worst, then the noise moved to the left valve cover, I placed on top of both valve covers a sthetoscope and showed the Nissan mechanics the difference, they all looked at me, and said, take it to Nissan, but after getting agrevated and agrevated I gave up, this month I'm changing my oil to grade1040, maybe the engine will be less noisy, I have already documented the problem. Really the engine seems to be working fine, I don't know if I should get rid of it or keep it
    Please give me piece of mind! My 05 Titan has noisy anti-locks. In addition, if I spin my rear wheels in two wheel drive, the front wheels will produce that "anti-lock" noise. Now I noticed that each time I stop the engine and restart the truck then start to accelerate, I'll hear that familiar noise. Only one time and I don't hear it again till I kill the engine and restart. I took the truck back to the dealer. I took a ride in the service writers truck (same year, same model) and it made the same noises. Can anyone out there can tell me that theirs has the same querks? Let me know if your 05 does not have this problem..

Thanks, John
  • whoanah2whoanah2 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same problem since the first day I drove off the lot. No one seemed to notice it but me, until yesterday it did it and when I came to a stop and then the transmission slammed into gear when I hit the gas. It's thumping pretty good right now, but it doesn't seem as bad after it has been sitting up several hours. I'll be bringing it to the dealer tomorrow for the third time for this problem. Wish me luck
  • bcdocbcdoc Member Posts: 5
    Hi Dean,

I have read your messages re: Titan brakes and replacement with larger rotors, etc. We here in BC have an '05 Titan and at around 25K km, find significant brake shuddering which worsens with higher speed braking. I have noted from other sources that the brake rotors may be too small for the vehicle and hence lead to more heat buildup and warping. How has your brake replacement gone? Improvements?
    Thanks,

Peter
    Maple Ridge, BC
  • 7forever17forever1 Member Posts: 11
    Gentleman, my tolerance is wearing very low with this truck. I have an 04'Crew Cab SE, 22,000 miles on it and learned that the entire back end needs to be replaced. Good thing it's still under warrenty. I only dive city and some highway miles, but have never towed anything! What is going with this truck?? :lemon: I've been thru the break issue, hissing A/C, squeeking dashboard, poor FM reception, the ill tempered automatic windows and of course the poorly designed rear seat belts. Enough is enough! Don't know if the 2006 models are any better, not sure if I want to find out. :confuse: :sick: :mad:
  • stlthf1stlthf1 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys

I just happened to do a google search for Titan and this came up. WOW....those are crazy problems. I'm looking at a Titan Crew cab 06'. Have they gotten the ticking, brake problems and everything fixed in the 06' or should I look at something else?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Jon
  • bcdocbcdoc Member Posts: 5
    Oh, I would be careful to assess all of the communications out there - there are many of us with Titans with no more trouble than the owners of other pickups. Some with less.

Cheers,

Peter
  • funeralfuneral Member Posts: 1
    Dear John...I have the same problem with my 2006 Nissan Titan. Did you find an answer to the issue? I currently have not approached my dealer.
    I drove the service writer's '05 4x4 and it did the same thing. I assume that it is just the nature of the design. I would love to know exactly what is producing the noise and why I hear that familiar pop every time I accelerate for the first time. Does yours make that pop? If you get an answer, please let me know.
  • derekgoldderekgold Member Posts: 5
    I have an 04 crew cab LE with every option and I love it. Never had any of this problems. I have to wonder about some of these complaints. Sounds like sour grapes from Dodge, Chevy and Ford owners.
    Thanks guys. I talked to two Titan owners today. One of them with an 06 has not had any issues. The other with an 05' had the brake problem but had it taken care of on the recall and it's been fine ever since. The dealership told him that the warrenty on his brakes start over on the warrenty so he has a full 3 years on them now.
  • jimmccjimmcc Member Posts: 15
    Hi guys, I have an 05' CC LE 4X4, with about 3800 miles on it and my front brakes are toast. Vibrating and hi spots all the time. Also, from dead stop (stop sign/light) when I touch the accelerator, I hear and feel a clunk from the rear drive train, like there's some slack being taken up with the drive shaft, sometimes, anyone else get this?
  • marcopolocitymarcopolocity Member Posts: 1
    I've noticed the same problem with my 2004 titan. Over the last few months. When I come to a stop then press the gas pedal the engine revs but the transmission does not engage. Eventually it engages and teh truck jerks into gear and takes off. The dealer said they did not notice anything wrong. It doesn't happen all the time.

I think it's a stick valve in the transmission control module. IF contamination or dirt from the clutch or elswhere gets caught in one of teh valves it can cause this.

Any ideas on when Nissan is goin to fix this????
  • trekker2trekker2 Member Posts: 2
    the plastic faceplate over the gauges constantly rattles. Anyone else have this problem and can offer a solution. The dealer tried putting rubber molding behind it, but no success.
  • 7forever17forever1 Member Posts: 11
    Got the call from the dealer today that the parts are in to replace the backend. Took about a week, dealer stated that this is a common problem, large back order for the parts. What's next???
    I'm having a hard time finding a decent dealer. I went to the local dealer and was on the lot for 30 minutes without one sales person coming out to talk to me. It was cold and windy that day so I'm assuming they didn't feel like getting cold. I called and talked to the general manager about the problem and he assured me that it would be fixed. I went back in and was supposed to deal with the sales manager he quickly turned me over to a salesman. They had no trucks on the lot that I wanted. I want the Crew cab SE with the popular package. They had one but it wasn't in any of the colors I wanted. He kept trying to get me into a 4x4 that I have no interest in. He said he would check around and give me a call Monday....Nothing.

That same day I drove 30 minutes outside of my town to another dealership. Same problem...not one truck I wanted. They offered me one that was close but I wasn't happy with the color. I told them they would have to make me a killer deal for me to drive off the lot with that truck. He assured me he would come back with a great offer. He said they would call me Monday......No call.

Jezzz...what's a guy gotta do to buy a truck?????
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    "Jezzz...what's a guy gotta do to buy a truck?????"

Not sure in your case but I went to a Dodge dealer.....problem solved :)
  • indysoloindysolo Member Posts: 1
    I am not a big fan of the dealers either; it is hard to find a good one.

Go to the Nissan website and select the “Build Your Nissan” option under Buying (http://www.config.nissanusa.com/redirect.jsp?tryset=true&flow=trimselect&make=n- issan&lang=en). This allows you to enter the model, color, and options to search dealer inventory for the car you want. The results do not give you the exact dealership; however it provides the inventory sorted by matching results.

NOTE: When the dealer list comes back, scroll to the bottom and extend the mileage radius of the dealers to search. This is the first field on the bottom half of the page. The model I want is about 70 miles away. This beats having to drive around town. :)

Let us know how this works out for you.
  • redneckpapa123redneckpapa123 Member Posts: 1
    I have an `04 LE CC 4x4 and i had the same noise when i took off at medium to fast acceleration and when i stopped fast-(not a panic stop).. I found out from someone in this forum that if you have the utili-track with the covers over the tracks that they would slide back and forth and hit the tailgate and front of the bed.. I took the covers off and the noise stopped.. Hope that helps.. It drove me crazy for a long time..... GOOD LUCK !
  • highrollerhighroller Member Posts: 351
    This is normal if you just started the engine and slowly accelerating for the first time after turning off the engine. The clank or pop you hear is just the ABS self-checking. You should hear this everytime you turn on the engine and accelerating (most likely when it shifts gear for the first time). This is specifically stated in your owner's manual so please read and recheck what i've stated.

As for the plastic faceplate on the dashboard, i'm also having the rattling issue with my 06 Titan SE CrewCab 4x2.

Does anyone notice that the back end of their truck (i guess the bed)is making these squeaking/rattling noises?
  • kwikirkkwikirk Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I have an 04 Titan LE 4x4. The brakes are finally fixed. I hope. 25k miles and on the third time they replaced the rotors. I've had no problems with the anti-locks or tranny. Had a bad thumping in the rearend but figured out it was the rail covers sliding back and forth, a piece of sponge fixed it.It still outruns most all the other trucks out there.Have talked with friends with all other brands of new trucks and the Titan problems aren't any worse than the rest and better than some.
    No my truck isn't perfect but I still love my Titan.

Kwikirk
  • blackrock1blackrock1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 titan 4x2 , I have had the rattles the brake rotor probs, alternator going bad, and now the newest is the failing passenger air bag, it won't come on when someone is in the passenger seat,and this is all in the first 28000 miles. Have we all bought lemons? Is there anyone out there with same probs?

Oh and the dealership is terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    now the newest is the failing passenger air bag, it won't come on when someone is in the passenger seat

That's the sensor in the seat, some people have had issues with it. Not a huge deal since you appear to still be under the B2B warranty.

My 04 LE hasn't had the issue with the airbag sensor, but it has had other issues. However, I also have 55,200 miles on it.
  • ksharpeksharpe Member Posts: 1
    I have a brand new 06 titan and get a bad vibration when i slow down. as soon as the vehicle gets between 30 to 20 mph it starts a vibration. dealer says all vehicles do this. I test drove another vehicle and it was very minor but it also did it. i told him i thought it was a defect in the design. is any one else having this problem. also get a bounce at 50mph. not related to low speed vibration.
  • mrgroovskimrgroovski Member Posts: 22
    Just a note to thank everyone for posting their Titan problems. After much research, I had my truck purchase narrowed down to two: the F-150 and the Titan. The rear-end / brake / water problems that seemed numerous on the Titan sent me to the Ford Dealership. At 15,000K miles on my 2005 F-150, the only problem with it is a ding I got in a parking lot. It's quite, powerful, comfortable - just a great truck. Anyway, thanks again, and I hope you have gotten your issues resolved.
  • titanbeartitanbear Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 crew cab SE 4X4 and have 26K on it. I have noises coming from the dash and my seats make noise. Anyone else have this problem? I have been to the dealership several times about the seats and the dash but the noises always come back!

thanks
    Chris

P.S. I still love my Titan!
  • rafarafa Member Posts: 35
    WE have a 2005 nissan armada se with 5000 miles and we have the same dash and seat noise we haven't taken it to dealer yet wanted to know what the told you or what they did very annoying especaily for a new car thank you
  • pikapsek01pikapsek01 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05 KC 4x4 w/ offroad and tow package. Since owning the truck in January '05 it has been to the deal 17 times. The brakes and rotors have been replaced 3 times. I have a continual problem with all four doors in the KC. They continuously rattle and speeds under 50mph. The dealer could not fix it, and an independent engineering firm couldn't not fix it (which was hired by Nissan N.A.). I now have a lawyer and I'm in the process of lemon-lawing the vehicle. Anyone else had as many problems as I have??? This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned and very dissatisfied.