Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jennylynnjennylynn Member Posts: 3
    Skimmed through the messages here, and although I just absolutely ADORE my Titan, a lot of the messages sound familiar. (Had brakes, rotors, etc replaced. Had DVD Nav system replaced. Had issues with slip/vdc/check engine light which they told me was related to low fluid...they think I'm stupid.) Currently my baby is sitting at the Dealership AGAIN (where the mechanics are absolutely WORTHLESS, but it's where my extended warranty is serviced). Got a new tank of gas at my usual station on Saturday night. Didn't drive it Sunday. Monday afternoon, jumped in and it started right up....only to die before I could shift out of park. Happened multiple times. Worried I put Diesel in...checked my receipt...NOPE..it was the cheap unleaded (as usual). Had dealer tow it (over $300) because I was SURE it was a warrantied issue. Got the call a few minutes ago....they said there were NO DIAGNOSTIC CODES AT ALL...but that they took a sample of the gas and think there is something else in the gas tank besides gas. "some sort of chemical" was the quote. Of course, that negates the warranty, not to mention forces me to pay the towing etc. They want to empty the tank, refill it (mind you, I JUST filled it with $75 worth of gas) and "hope for the best". They have got to be out of their flipping minds. Called AutoZone...found out the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump "assembly" INSIDE the tank. YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. Called the dealer back to find out what exactly they did to rule out fuel pump....they did nothing. (only ran the codes) I asked how they knew "some kind of chemical was in the gas"...and they told me that "Eddie" looked at a sample and could tell. Niiiiiiiiiice. Eddie is a whiz. Now what do I do? Can't find any info on the net about how to troubleshoot the pump and/or filter. Any help out there?
  • mfillersmfillers Member Posts: 2
    I have had six sets of brakes,new larger rotors finally fixed the vibratons coming to a stop. I still have vibrations with 28,000 miles on the truck, speeds at 30 to 55 mph caused by faulty tires on the truck. I have had new horn, replaced the rear end cover becaused it had rusted out. My heated seats stay on now although the dealer
    Pat Peck Nissan states there is nothing wrong. The gas mileage dropped from 17.9 mpg on the road to 10 mpg the dealer Pat Peck Nissan states nothing is wrong. I have had mirrors replaced for wind noise and crome paint flaking off. The tires have been a problem from 2,500 miles on the truck. The sensors were adjusted today for the air pressure in the tires. I have had the dash worked on for the rattles.
    The seat belts gets tight while on the driving road for long trips. I have only had it in the shop about 30 times with oil changes and repairs. I have asked Nissan about the lemon law with the brakes and repairs to no avail.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Sounds like more of a dealer problem, try taking it to a different dealer.

I'm not saying that they are great trucks, I had 2 of them, but your problems sound like you have a bad dealer. Mine had FAR more problems than yours, but I had a great dealer so it wasn't a major issue usually.
  • highrollerhighroller Member Posts: 351
    Hello all, i would like to know if anyone ever changed out their own oils and used different oil filters? My question is that i've been using a purolator oil filter since new and when i switched brands, the oil pressure readings on my gauge would read slightly higher when i switch to a Wix oil filter upon startup only. But, after driving for awhile after starting up, the readings would go back down or peak normally at the midpoint on the oil pressure gauge. Has anyone experience this or just me?

Also, does anyone know where is the oil sender/sensor location on my titan? And if the oil pressure gauge on these trucks are real ones or are they just a "dummy"?

Thanks for any inputs guys.
  • flyman14255flyman14255 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same vibration you are speaking of. I have an 06 King Cab 2WD. My dealer also told me, "they all do it". The vibration is felt most at 22mph de-accelerating, in neutral, on drive, with or without brakes applied. I believe the tranny may be the culprit as this seems to be a shift point. Not sure, but would like to have it repaired. Any information beyond what I offered would be great.
    :mad:
  • bubba25bubba25 Member Posts: 2
    I only have about 500 miles on my '06 Titan KC 4x4, but haven't noticed the vibration or the bounce yet.
  • littletitanlittletitan Member Posts: 4
    There are a lot of times that I need to turn on the defrost just to melt the snow outside the windshield but the AC turned on and can never be turned off, that bothers me and I think that's waist of gas and power.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    LITTLE...........Just FYI poss. nissan uses the same
    idea as GM. When the defrosters are used the AC kicks
    on along with them to remove moisture and condensation
    from the air in the cabin..................

Can Any nissan gurus confirm this???????????
  • highrollerhighroller Member Posts: 351
    Can someone tell me how to locate my PCV valve, and are there 2 or just one PCV valve... my manual has a picture that shows 2, but just wanted to make sure.
  • myredtitanmyredtitan Member Posts: 2
    YES!!! I have a 2006 2WD Crew Cab and the first day I drove it home the rear end shook at 45mph and again at 52mph. This is a very annoying problem because most "in town" driving is around 40 to 55mph. I've had tires balanced, then replaced. No change. Then had the driveshaft changed. Again no change. I've heard that this may be caused by a bad fit with the differential to driveshaft meaning the two are in a bind and when the vehicle accelerates the driveshaft will not rotate corretly kinda like a tire out of balance. If you have heard anything as to how to fix this problem please let me know. Thanks.
  • wingriderwingrider Member Posts: 2
    I have a titan with the rockford fosgate radio and navigation. It has a aux input on the radio. Can I plug a Sirius Stargate 4 directly into the aux plug? Even Best buy did not know. Thanks for any input. Dale
  • tony48tony48 Member Posts: 7
    yes i have been using the aux since 1-9-06. however the input level is low i have to set my sirius on high output mode and crank volume on radio all the way up to max (31) (be careful to remember the extremely high volume setting especially when changing back to cd or fm modes or you will blow your speakers out!) also speed sensitivity feature does not work with aux setting!
    the default is to have defrost kick a/c on, however just push in dial and it will shut off.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    SSV works on the aux on my Armada.

I use it for my carputer.

-mike
    DO YOU FIND THE LOW INPUT VOLUME WHEN USING THE AUX COMPARED WITHT THE VOLUME OF THE CD PLAYER OR FM RADIO?
    but it's the same lowness I hear on all the aux inputs I have on several steros (JVC, Armada, and a few others) So I don't htink it's a result of the stereo in the armada only.

-mike
  • sbatemansbateman Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Titan and noticed the same issue. However, I found in the owners manual that it does state once you turn the dial to the defrost setting the a/c will not turn off until the truck is turned off and restarted. Retarded design though.
    Yes. I have a 2004 Titan SE CC 4x4 Off Road. I have several rattles in the entire cab. We also had the brake issues however the rotors were replaced and I have not had any further problems with that. I know have 20k miles. We love our titan too although some of the problems are surprising.
    Your noises and the flashing "slip" light are completely normal as it is your anti-lock and anti-slip doing it's job to keep you straight and on the right track.
    I have that sam ticking. I have a 2004 SE CC off Road 4x4. It has 19k miles and I just noticed the ticking or "knocking" sound is much louder lately. It runs great. But I want to get it checked out. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. Have you been able to rectify anything? How is your truck now?
    What is the ambient temp and what brand, type, weight oil are you using? This can all contribute to that cold-ticking.

-mike
  • hillcountry4x4hillcountry4x4 Member Posts: 1
    Have the 04 4x4le cc w/ 56k mi ...have noticed lately the trans acts like its in neutral right when you first begin to move from a stopped position....does this only some of the time other than this the truck has been great (rotors fixed) ..anyone have this happening???
    thanks
  • junkyacjunkyac Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading these ,and i think some of the hate letters are :mad: amazing. i own a 04 and it had its share of the normal problems. i guess some of you expect the truck to be perfect. i am a mechanic ,but not for nissan, and let me tell you the problems that i see come thru are shameful.they are all quality problems in the manufacturing.my opinion is that the titan is 1 of the best trucks built on the market..as for all the brake problems if you get tired of dealing with nissan parts ,then put a aftermarket rotor on. that will solve the problem for good.
  • ethan8ethan8 Member Posts: 13
    I think many people bought a Nissan thinking it would have typically few problems like many Japanese vehicles. So yes owners expect what they have come to know is possible with Japanese cars. Almost zero problems over hundreds of thousands of miles. Many owners coming from American cars/trucks may expect some problems and may shrug them off. Owners of Japanese cars and trucks generally expect none of that.
    That none of the full-size trucks produced by any Japanese manufacturer has anything to do with Japan right?

They are all ground up USA, as they aren't sold anywhere but here!

-mike
  • razorthunderrazorthunder Member Posts: 98
    Lucky You! I agree the design is awesome, but you can't be #1 if you have many manufacturing issues. On my 2004, I have replaced the brake rotors 4 times, the Body Control Module (BCM)3 times, the door handle broke off, steering wheel control broke off, and the over lamp compartment had to be replaced. But what has frustrated me the most is when the BCM tripped out most recently while driving and losing power to the entire instrument cluster leaving me stranded and unable to put the vehicle in part, and unable to remove the key from the ignition.... I took it to Nissan for service, and got it back "unable to replicate fault." So on Christmas day took the vehicle, it completely tripped leaving me stranded and having to deal with my lemon vehicle. I would say that these concerns are not hate letters but reflect the frustration generated by manufacturing defects, and dealing with Nissan service departments.
    :sick: I was wondering if the latest Titan are having many issues, my 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4; has had the brake rotors replaced 3 times, the body control module replaced 3 times, the passenger door handle has broken off, the over head light has been replaced, and a steering wheel control switch replaced. I am currently seeking lemon buyback, and was wondering if I should seek the buyback or replacement. I like the design of the Nissan but these problems are somewhat difficult to resolve. I mean last time when my BCM tripped and left me stranded without the ability to put the vehicle in park and remove the key from the ignition; tt was taken to Nissan, and given back to me "unable to replicate fault." Then of course on Christmas day, I was stranded again ruining my travel plans, and this time the instrument cluster lost power and I was unable to get the vehicle out of park, but the engine would turn-over. Of course they had to acknowledge the problem and towed it back to Nissan to fix it. But it frustrates me with all the repairs, but equally frustrating is trying to get Nissan to fix it. My Nissan right now, has a tire pressure sensor fault, jittering at highway speed, jittering brakes, and a slipping transmission with only 22000 miles on it. I envy those listing that say they are not having problems with their Nissan; and I haven't expected a prefect vehicle but these faults exceed reasonable expectations.
    The 2005+ models have far better fit-finish in addition to reliability. I know I'm looking forward to the 09 or 10 model to replace my 04 when the time comes. For now I'm dealing with the small minor issues on mine, and my dealer has been aces in terms of fixing stuff on it, can't complain since I bought it below invoice and got 1% financing on it.

-mike
  • kingkooldaddykingkooldaddy Member Posts: 8
    I just bought the 2006 Crew Cab, at year end. It now has 1500 miles on it and is currently at Nissan getting a complete rear end replacement. It had a bad vibration between 70-80 mph, and didn't report it until my 1000 mile service. It seems that several Titans past have had rear end problems. Mine is stock, no mods. Also I noticed that my passenger floorboard was completely soaked when I got it home the first day.
    My neighbor bought an 07 Crew Cab and the only problem he has had is a slight squeaking in early morning driving for about the first 3 minutes.
    Other than the rear end, I love the truck.
    Has anyone else had similar problems I should know of early on?
  • derekgoldderekgold Member Posts: 5
    I have 2004 Crew Cab with every option DVD, Navigation etc. The only problems I have encountered was the faded bedliner and the cruise control switch. Nissan replaced both immediately. No other problems . Currently has 25000 miles.
    Thanks. I called the dealer today to ask them to check out the water in the passenger floorboard, and they said it must be debris in the ac duct, leaves,whatever. Hopefully that will be the last of the problems. I want my truck back. They gave me a minivan loaner that really sucks for power and interior room.
  • joesphjoesph Member Posts: 2
    There are a few problems that I am having with my 2004 2x4 LE but Ill
    start with the steeing wheel. It started about 5000 miles in. My volume and cruise control would only work when it wanted to. I took the truck back to the dealer and they so called fixed it. Worked for a few months went out again. Took the truck back to the dealer. They so called fixed it again. To make a long story short a few weeks ago I ended up having to drive from Phoenix to Memphis with the cruise control working less than half the time. Also now my bumper to bumper warranty has exceeded and Im having all these problems still. I'm wandering if anyone else is having these problems. Also does anyone have any suggestions. It wouldnt be fair for me to have to wear a bill for something that they cant seem to fix.
    So long as it was fixed under warranty and it's documented, they should repair it for free out of warranty.

-mike
  • ironbanksironbanks Member Posts: 4
    I took my 05 se kingcab for service two weeks ago. Oil change tire rotation. Anyway, I noticed my gas mileage had dropped to around 12 mpg blend city/hwy and 9 mpg towing my boat. I checked the oil and found it to be very low. Took it to the dealer and they found the engine to be 3 quarts low. No leaks just whoever added the oil did not put the entire amount needed. My questions is does anyone think this could have damaged my motor. It never got hot or made any knocking sounds for the two weeks it was run like this. The dealer did not seem to concerned about this situation.
    I got my 2006 Titan back from the dealer after an entire rear end replacement, and it is still vibrating. I took it back a week later, they checked it out and said that the angle between the drive shaft and rear differential is off. They have ordered a shim kit to "fix" it. My new Titan with 2000 miles on it has to have a shim kit to repair a factory defect. They also put in the extension hosed on the A/C condensation problem. Those of you that haven't had this done on your 06, get it in now, while winter is upon us and your carpet is still good. My truck is starting to smell 'lemony' fresh.
  • robnaorobnao Member Posts: 29
    I am just wondering if anyone is having this problem with their paint. I have an 05 SE CrewCab 4X4 Off Road w/tow package, red alert color. I noticed a few small (1/16"-1/8") blisters in the paint, some had already broken when I first noticed them exposing the primer. I did a good inspection of the truck before taking to the Nissan dealer so I would know where the blisters were and stopped counting at 20, most of them are already broken, all of these expose the primer. The dealer has not been very supportive, saying that Nissan will probably claim they are rock chips and door dings even though the location of many of them rule these possibilities out (even have some on the tailgate). Has anyone else noticed this problem? We might have to get together to get Nissan to fix this one, I will post more as my situation progresses.
    Perhaps you were parked somewhere that acid or other haz. mater may have damaged the paint? I haven't heard of anyone complaining of paint issues on the Armada/Titan/Pathy/Frontier boards.

-mike
    i have had the exact same problem with the "tranny slip"in 04 xe 4x4. i just figured it was stuck between gears for a split second, other then rotors no other problems whatsoever! very very happy
    These spots are spread all around the truck, high and low. I just had a paint shop take a look and they agree there is a paint problem. They look a lot like paint chips except the location of most of them does not fit that explaination and I have found unbroken blisters and some partially broken ones.
  • joesphjoesph Member Posts: 2
    I own an 04 Titan Le 4x2 50k. Over the last year I have seen a sudden decrease in my miles per gallon effiency . At best I receive about 12.5 to 13 highway. I change air filters on a regular basis and use middle grade gasoline. Also I have had the fuel injector serviced on a regular basis also. Any suggestions or answers that could help me improve my situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
    14 MPG is typical gas mileage for the Titan under optimal conditions; level terrain; moderate weather; moderate speed; well maintained truck.
  • paintmachinepaintmachine Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I purchased a new 2007 titan 4x4 in oct 2006 and I have a vibration also. I brought it back 4 times 1st they rotated & road force balance four tires, 2nd time they shimed rear diff., 3rd my dealership sent it to another dealership and they found side to side play in drive shaft and replaced drive shaft. 4th time Nissan rep came down to look and fix it. Rep. said vehicle is operating normally. So now I wrote to my attorney general and BBB auto line I'm still waiting for a response.
    Well, My truck has 2700 miles on it now and has been to service a grand total of five times. This last time they shimmed the rear differential, and I made a call to Nissan asking for a buy-back. No deal they said, contact the BBB if you're not happy. I tell you, Nissan has a real problem with customer satisfaction... they have none. I have owned this Titan for 2 and a half months, and even though it is a defective product, Nissan refuses to take it back. I also contacted the BBB and I am sending my paperwork in this week. Oh, during the conversaation with Nissan (Corporate), I asked if the rear diff goes out after the warranty, would they cover it, they said NO. Keep this in mind for your next purchase, I will.
    Sorry to hear about your lemon vehicle. But your not alone; I will go through arbitration via BBB on Wednesday, I'll let you know how it goes. But I can't imagine not getting buy back when I have had to put my 4th set of rotors and brake pads; once every 6000 miles, and Nissan would not honor their warranty at 30 months and 24000 miles. All I have to say, if even Nissan won't back their product, why should anyone else!
  • dyneshdynesh Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone had heard of other reports of a problem like this.
    My '06 Titan has 5000 miles on it. The defroster has not worked since I've had it. The blower blows, but no air comes out. I've had it in for repair twice. The first time they claimed Nissan tech didn't know what the problem was, and recommended replacing the head, or something, I can't remember. I got it back, and they said it was fixed, but going down the road, I pumped the defroster up and 20 seconds later, a sucking noise, and then same problem.
    Then I took it back, they claim now that Nissan tech says this is a common problem and that the issue has been fixed as far as the way they build the part that is tearing up, for new titans anyways. The problem with that is they shipped a part to replace mine, which got damaged in shipping, and supposedly is the last one in the country. Now they have issued a "stop the presses" where they are supposed to reconfigure the machine to make the old part. I have an estimated repair time of March 15th. The truck has been in since late January.
    I just wanted to see if anyone had heard of this problem happening to anyone else.
    Yep, sounds like Nissan. If your state has a lemon law, most states only allow up to 30 days for a repair before imposing a lemon buy back. Nissan Techs are not that well trained, frankly the ones I dealt with are ignorant. Their solution to solving my brake defect was just trade my 2004 Nissan Titan in for a new one. And when I said no, they said 'all SUV/Truck brakes make noise," so my response is what highway do you drive down that you hear all these squealing brakes." Of course, the only recourse I had was to seek buyback through BBB arbitrition.
    Did anyone else see the news story about Honda having lost a law suit that claims the odometer on several models was reading more miles than were actually being driven? It was affecting warranty coverage, get's the company out of coverage sooner. It affected over 6 million vehicles sold from 2002-2006. All of the owners will get cash or an extended warranty. Apparently, at the post trial press brief a lawyer for Honda said the Nissan Altima does the same thing, adds up the miles too quickly. Now, I am not sure this wasn't a comment to cast doubt where there was none, but it might be worth while to check our Titans to make sure the odometers are adding the miles up correctly. I saw the story on FOX News, Mon. 19 Feb.
  • rengawrengaw Member Posts: 22
    When I heard that Nissan was building a new full sized truck in a new factory with new workers I knew it would take a few years to get the thing right. So, I was surprised when my recent issue of Consumer's Report arrived and it showed the Nissan is still, thru 2006, the most unreliable full sized truck on the market. CR reported that over half the owners of 2004 Titans reported brake problems and that almost half of those reporting in 2005 had brake problems. My dealer claims that "the real" fix on the brakes occurred in late 2005. Well, those people who own 2006 Titans also reported enough brake problems for CR to give brakes their worst reliability rating.
    Being a person very interested in buying a Titan, this makes me really gun shy. I'm really not sure if the differential and brake problems have been fixed properly even yet. It is really a shame that such a good truck has to be plagued by these major problems that Nissan has not been able to really fix. If people are having all these problems with this truck at these low miles, what is going to happen when these trucks get over a 100,000 miles. A truck if given good service should be reliable to between 150,000 miles and 200,000. I've had several that were good and several that were trouble. These Titans sure got off on the wrong foot reliability wise. I will say this that according to the reliability charts that Nissan products are some of the most unreliable vehicles for the first 3 three years of ownership but after that they vastly improve to where only the Honda and Toyota show better reliability from the 3 to 10 year period. What is disappointing about Nissan is that haven't come out publicly at said that "this is the problems with our trucks and this is what we are going to do about it." When GM was having all kind of problems with their Duramax injectors, GM stepped up and said they would warranty the injectors for 200,000 miles. Now that is the way a company should treat it's customers. It's just good business to create good will among your customers.
    I got about $3,000 off on my 04 Armada due to the possibility that there would be brake issues. The way I looked at it, as an absolutely worst case I could get aftermarket calipers and rotors for well under $3k and fix any issues related to the brakes. Luckily for me they fixed mine at 3k and at 38k no issues have come back yet.

-mike
    Or just run off a cliff, and then you wouldn't have to worry about it? But you saved $3000 on a defective vehicle.