Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I had changed to Mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic at 700 miles. Didn't make any differance at all. I've listened to a few others and it seems that they "all" do that.
  • Hi obyone,
    I have changed to Castrol 5w30 energy conservation oil (on label) and the noise is gone...I'll let you know if it comes back..

Bill
  • I'm moving from a 04 Chevy 1500HD 4x4 CC. Is this knock similar to the infamous chevy knock at startup? I switched my chevy to synthetic and shortened the knocking (valves).

I haven't noticed any knocking from my 05 Titan (16,500 miles), but i'll listen more closely next time. Probably similar to Chevy's valves knocking before the oil gets to them. (that's why synthetic decreases it) I've put on a dual remote filter on it with synthetic oil about 6500 miles ago, and totally love that truck.
    Had no knock on my '00 Chevy...on the Titan I can still hear it in the drive thru at McD's which is 5 minutes from the house. However, it does eventually go away just not as fast as I would think it should.
  • idgetidget Posts: 1
    While traveling at 55mph on NYS Thruway on 1/08/06, went to apply brakes, vehicle began swaying, applied more brake, vehicle swayed violently, brake pedal went to floor as we proceeded to turn 180 degrees facing north on the shoulder of the southbound lane. State Police ordered car to be towed for lack of brakes! We are lucky to be alive!

Nissan solution - wait until 02/02/06 for company rep to inspect vehicle. We hoped Nissan would recognize the severity of this incident and address the issue more expediently!
    :P
    Be careful while driving your Nissan!
  • I am experiencing a "grab" or "bumping" upon initial acceleration from a full stop on my titan 0 5' xe 4X4....acceleration was smooth as silk for the first 9000mi. or so but now is starting to bug and worry me. It feels like it is coming from the drive train and not the engine. (torque converter, trans., transfer case, u joints?) The dealership says everything checks out OK but i don't know how much they drove the vehicle. It happens about every other time. I really like this truck but it is taking away from my driving experience. Anyone with similar problem?
    Does it happen when coming to a stop too?
  • not that i have noticed,...only from a flat start. i've had one suggestion that it could be the rear end...i'll probably take it back soon and ask them to look there.
  • I considering a 06 Titan. From earlier posts I thought the 04 brake judder was fixed with the 05 model and/or new rotors. My brother has a 05 (bought new in late Oct 05. It now has 5500 miles and it has started. light braking you can feel it in the pedal, medium braking you feel in in both pedal and steering wheel. The heavier the braking, the more it shakes. His factory warranty on brakes was extended to 3 yr 36K because of this issue.
    Anyone else have this problem on a late 05 or 06 model?
    Thanks
  • i have the 06 SE crew cab that was bought on november 05. So far with 3000 on the odometer, brakes are fine. There were two times where i had to violently come to a complete stop while going about 50 mph. Braking are still as normal as usual now. If i expect anything, ill repost and explain my experience.
  • I am having a serious problem with the shaking as I apply the brakes. I am taking it in this weekend, and am disappointed as everything else has been great about this truck. A coworker of mine also complained just last week about the same problem. Hopefully, this isn't something that will cause an accident.
  • does anyone know if a cold air intake will improve gas mileage on my titan?
    Depends on which brand....well then again...I would say generally speaking...no. Unless you consider maybe a 1 mpg increase an actual increase. At that you would be hard pressed to make up the cost of the intake in terms of gas savings.
  • will the cold air intake increase the horsepower?
  • I previously posted a question regarding faded bedliners on the Titan. I recently went to my local dealership and they took pictures of the bedliner. The bedliner was applied by a subcontractor hired by Nissan. The company is replacing or repairing the faded liners at the dealership at no cost. Does anyone know how they will do this? I assume they will remove the utilitrac system and spray over top of the old liner. I can't see how they would remove the old one.
    I also have a cold air intake and did not noticably increase my gas mileage. I still average 12 city and 16 Hwy.
    My Titan is an 04 and I have not had any problems with the brake system at all. No shakes when the brakes are applied.
    Think it was Truckin magazine that did the dyno test on brand K intake. They had observed a 1-2 hp increase. Not sure if that was the actual result or one they had posted as to not upset an advertiser.
  • b_b_gb_b_g Posts: 1
    I am experiencing the same, or at least similar, problem with my 2005 Titan making a thud while accelerating, usually from a stop. I have a strong suspicion that the noise is coming from the transfer case. I base this on the location of the sound and the fact that I can not reproduce the noise while in four wheel drive. A light to medium acceleration off the line usually produces a single knock sounding like a rubber mallet bumping the under side of the chassis. Harder accelerations have produced a few rapid bumps. I am taking mine into the dealer in the morning, but I would appreciate any insight to the cause.
  • Would this happen when u first start the engine and driving it off? Or whenever you stop and drive? the reason i say is because usually whenever you start to drive (after you turn on the engine), the ABS is doing a self-checking test in which it makes a "clank" noise to let you know the metal solenoids are in proper working order.
  • My friend has a 2004 Nissan Titan it has 46,000 miles, and he has alot of problems with it. Sometimes it doesn't play the radio when he uses it and other times it shuts down the entire entertainment system. He took it to the dealers atleast 7 times last month. Everytime its fixxed,it starts to do the same thing over and over. What should he do. Is it time for a trade? Or is this just a defect? :confuse:
  • took it to nissan and basically they said they could not replicate and "no error codes, no problem". i drive it all day and i know it wasn't doing this before....guess i have to wait until it gets worse. i had one person suggest it's the rear end and this may be a common problem with the dana axils.
  • I had a 2004 with utili trak, the plastic covers over the floor tracks would slide into the back of the cab when stopping and would slide into the tailgate when starting out. This was a substantial thud whenever starting or stopping. I got rid of the problem when I traded in the '04 on a '06 and the plastic covers now have built in stops so they don't slide around. The noise actually stopped when I hauled a load of mulch in the '04 and then the tracks were jammed with mulch. In case anyone is interested, the '06 is a great improvement, no brake judder, no dash rattles, the tailgate assist is wonderful and the back under seat storage is absolutely worth it!
  • Robert26 - I have a Titan 05 2WD with 18K miles and the grabbing feeling started suddenly about a month ago (jan. 06) about a day after routine service by the dealer. Only does it after driving about 10 minutes and accelerating below 40 mph or so. Up a some hill makes it worse. I took it back to dealer after about 2 weeks and 3 service techs and manager all drove it and felt it - but no solution. They said keep driving it and maybe it will get worse. It has not for last 2-3 weeks. Any progress on yours?
  • Ive had my 04 Titan in for judder FIVE times dealer has been great up til now. 1st time turned,pads ,shims ect., 2nd pads,rotors,all the way around ( so they said ) 3rd time same thing 4th turned and pads. Now they said Im dbreaking to hard when towing! Their proof all 4 rotors are blueed and I have a trailer hitch on the back of the truck. but i hardly ever tow and when I do its 3000# or less on the extremlly rear time of heavier towing the trailers have had surge breaks. Now that said and several heated discussions later dealer said Nissan would pay for the repair. My concern is they are just putting on new parts not fixing the underlying problem Would they only change the oil filter if they found metal shaving in it? And then how many times are they going to pay for the replacement of parts. If you have any advise please help.
  • I've had my 04 SE KC w/o big tow and 39000 miles in to the dealer 5 times they have done all the expected fixes pads rotors shims ect. I tow once in a great while about 3000 pounds. most of my driving is highway. The dealer says I'm abusing the breaks and Nissan is not going to pay to have it "fixed" again. what do I do?
  • Is anyone else getting a rattle under the dash while driving on the HWY? I get the noise after the truck reaches 50 mph or more.
  • robert26robert26 Posts: 10
    YES!

but i have experienced this noise after driving on forest service road for about 3 or 4 miles and now it is here to stay no matter where i drive!

let me know if you get any info.
  • help! just bought new 06 titan se crew cab 2wd two days ago. at idle in park, easing into the gas, as the rpms climb am noticing a vibration in the motor. not as smooth as i would have imagined. also seem to feel vibration at 60 mph plus. has anyone else experienced this problem? thanks.
  • highrollerhighroller Posts: 351
    I think the plexiglass right by the dashboard is causing al lthe noises. While i was driving, i pressed against it and it stopped squeaking/rattling.
  • Be prepared to bring the truck back every 4 to 5k miles for brake service. I have an 04 cc LE I HAVE HAD IT IN 12 TIMES FOR BRAKES. THEY STILL HAVNT GOT IT RIGHT. EVERYTIME I BRING IT IN THEY TELL ME THEY HAVE THE FIX FOR IT. THIS IS THE WORST TRUCK I HAVE EVER OWNED. GAS MILAGE SUCKS, DRIVE TRAIN IS CLUNKING, FOUR WHEEL DOES NOT WORK, RADIO FADES OUT, POWER WINDOWS DO NOT WORK RIGHT, NOW I HAVE A LOSS OF POWER AT 50 TO 60 MPH. 46000 MILES I WILL NEVER BUY AMOTHER NISSAN PRODUCT. THERE SEVICE IS HORRIBLE. THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF TRUCK PEOPLE. :sick:
  • I SUGGEST TRADING THE TRUCK IN FOR A PILE OF DOGSHIT, YOU WILL BE FAR AHEAD OF THE GAME.