Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• My 05 Titan's A/C is on whenever I use the defrost. If I leave it at the defrost for more than one minute than no matter where I turn the dial to, the A/C is always on unless I turn off the vent or restart the engine. I took my truck to the dealer and was told this is the way it's designed. Does anyone experience this issue ?
  • I just bought my SE Titan a month ago and I'm already starting to regret my purchase based on what I'm reading. The only problem that i'm currently experiencing is, under moderate steady breaking, there's a shimmy on the steering wheel and its very annoying, being that the vehicle only has 1200 miles on it..! I've not experienced the break light problem..... yet...., I just hope that the Kit their going to install Tuesday 9/6/05 will take care of the shimiying problem. I believe the lemon Law applies when you had a new vehicle in for repairs on the same issue up to 8 times.... But i'm not sure, can anyone confirm this..
  • Yes, your dealer is correct that is the way the defrost functions. It is explained in your owners manual.
  • akanglakangl Posts: 3,591
    All I can say is be patient with the truck. Don't condemn it because of one problem. The new brake kit is AWESOME, so you should be fine there.

My Titan has 18,300 miles on it and it took a good solid 6000 miles to work all the quirks out. The truck had some major ones too, lost the front end at 4800 miles and the rearend at 5800 miles, however, I went through them replacing both and don't regret it. I had the brake judder crop up at about 15,000 miles after our trip over the Top of the World hwy towing our 6000 lb travel trailer. Dealer put the new kit on and all is well. I haven't had a problem with the truck since and don't regret sticking it out. My truck does qualify for the lemon law, but I refuse to give it up, its a GREAT truck!

Don't worry about problems others have had, just enjoy your truck!
  • :confuse: Tried and True - We bought our Titan SE KC with the big tow package in May '05 specifically for towing our 26' Regal Commodore express cruiser. The boat weighs 5,500# dry + about 1,250# for the aluminum tandem axle trailer. Add about 500# for fuel, water, anchor and gear and you have about 7,250#!. With 1,200 miles on the truck we hauled over 1,000 miles from Florida to North Carolina in two and 1/2 days.
    :) The Titan did just fine at 65-70 mph and the stereo was a dream (with no engine noise at this speed and little if any wind noise with the AC on.. Kept it in tow mode for the gas strops and on ramps, and in the normal mode on the Interstate. It would downshift to 4th on some overpasses and hills and averaged just about 10 mpg. Nice ride - felt similar to my friend F-250 diesel. (which gets about the same mileage with his 5th wheel).
    We did have one problem with it, but that's another story (Our Dealer fixed it)
    So who says this is not a good tow vehicle?? Not me!!
  • some of you ought to check out sites for other trucks shortcomings,i don't think anybody has made the perfect truck yet,every time i start mine,and whether it's for short trips or long,i'm happy with my decision,my mileage is right there with all the other makes,i see their trucks back at the dealer for problems also.i can still say it's a real nice ride and i love the power/engine/trans.combo-probably the best shifting/real world driver i've seen in a truck,so if you're not happy go buy a ford,gm,dodge,or whatever,then convince yourself you're better off for it.
  • Ii have not had the problem with the disk brakes that everyone else seems to have had, although they did replace them at 30K when they ran out and they gave me the upgraded disks and hardware. I have a 2004 SE that from day one would not stay put on a hill. I used to live on a steep hill and after a few trips to the shop (on the first trip they did not even know how to adjust it) It finally began to hold. The dealer had the audacity to tell me that the brake was not meant to hold on a hill. I do believe that it is a design flaw. The shoes are now worn and I have a warranty replacement set coming which will be installed next week.
  • I was Service tech at a nissan dealership for many years. I may have performed the brake recall about a thousand times on the new titans .What a POS, Trim problems brake problem and just plane old crappy america engineering. Word of advice to people that buy nissan, buy only nissans built the japan not in the usa. Plus nissan has so many money problem for years. Nissan was going bankrupt about four to five years ago. Then they hired a new ceo. After that the labor time to repair vehicles under warranty started to go down. Pissing off many nissan techs that use to make 80Gs to 100Gs a year. Now that been cut in half. So remember the Nissan north america dosen't care and the dealships don't care. Unless you drop about $1000 dollars. Good luck And Kiss my a-- nissan.
  • This seems like a stupid question, but I've studied the chain connection (2005 Titan LW 4x2), and there appears to be no way to remove it. Both ends are attached to closed hooks. Apologies for my apparent denseness.
  • First of all I love my titans, but I hate the mileages
    I refill 16 gallons for the first time it gives me 220 :cry: miles and I am not happy bec. It didn't met the 15/17 highway, the second time I refill 19 gallons but it only gives me 200 miles even :cry: Do you have any idea how can I get a good mileages :confuse: my titan was 2004 model and it only has 5800 miles on it.. thanks.... :) :)
  • My ever and only dream truck period.... : :) :) :) :)
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Odometer hit 9k miles. Was wondering if and when this is suppose to happen. I replaced the front pads with ceramics at 150 miles cause I couldn't stand all that dust buildup.

Truck was born on 12/04.
    First of all I love my titans, but I hate the mileages
    I refill 16 gallons for the first time it gives me 220 miles and I am not happy bec. It didn't met the 15/17 highway, the second time I refill 19 gallons but it only gives me 200 miles even Do you have any idea how can I get a good mileages my titan was 2004 model and it only has 5800 miles on it.. thanks....

Sounds about right, these trucks are not known for being fuel efficient. If (yeah right) I'm careful and keep my foot out of it I have managed 19 mpg on the hwy (once). Normally in mixed driving I'm getting 13.5-14 mpg. On a straight hwy trip it usually hangs in the 16 mpg range. Towing our travel trailer.........it drops to 7-9 mpg, sometimes 10 mpg on the flat with no hills.

Our other truck is a Ram 3500 V10 dually..........so the Titan seems great compared to that.

My advise........don't buy a truck if you are looking for fuel efficiency........buy an econo car (have one of those in our yard too). ;)
    Odometer hit 9k miles. Was wondering if and when this is suppose to happen. I replaced the front pads with ceramics at 150 miles cause I couldn't stand all that dust buildup.

Truck was born on 12/04.

Mine was born 8/24/04 and I didn't have any trouble with the brakes until I hit 12k miles. The judder started after we returned for a short vacation to Dawson City, YT that took us over the Top of the World hwy. That trip put a LOT of strain on the brakes, we were towing our 24 ft travel trailer. Dealer put the new kit on and all has been well........truck has just shy of 20k on it now.

It happens to some and not to others, but Nissan is covering the brakes for 3 years.
  • First - the obvious: ;) Drive easy: Accelerate @ 2,000 rpm, anticipate breaking and coast to stops. - Slow down! If your on a highway, try driving @ the speed limit.
    Second - :blush: inflate tires to (or just under) their maximum pressure, I keep mine @ 40 psi.
    Last - :) Switch to synthetic oil and get about a 10% increase in mileage and much longer engine life (also doesn't need to be changed as often - but check with your dealer on warrantee implications).
  • It seems that the brake problem is caused by Nissan, the rotors dont cool sufficiently, the harder you use them, the hotter they get and the faster they warp causing the shudder, mine were just updated with the new kit and are great again. There is 34,000 miles on it and its the only problem I've had. Some people use their brakes more and harder than others, thus the problem occurs sooner.
  • :) thanks for replying and the best advice, I guess I'll learn something new
    I will give that a try and inflate my tires to 40, right now my tires was inflated to 35
    thanks..... :) . :)
  • :) First of all thanks, this is my first v8 truck and I loved it, never tried in highway but planning to get there, So I think the mileage is about right, so not complaining anymore, this titan was the best and handsome truck that I had...
    so far I dont have problem yet....... thanks.. :) :)
  • Are you on a mind altering substance? The problems you stated are enough to make the average person cry like a baby... I like you had the brake problems, stuck it out, I'm only on the fourth time, I have 21,000 miles on her. After the differential failed twice, I still had a good outlook, but when the dealership made me sign a paper stating if the differential failed again, they would not fix it.. You'd think that my lift had something to do with failure, then why does the dealership sell my truck with the same lift and setup mine has? Yet they still grant the warranty, until in my case the diff failes twice....
    Nope, not on drugs...........but keep in mind I'm on Titan #2, so I've been down this road before. I like my truck and plan on keeping it for a while longer.........until the pull of a diesel engine lures me away.

My truck is stock, no lift or anything, diff only failed once (while pulling our 24' TT), haven't had a single problem with the diff since then and that was over 14k miles ago.

I can't say as to why your diff failed twice, but keep in mind that any alteration like that to a vehicle puts more stress on it.