Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• vanackvanack Posts: 5
    Friday, July 30, 2004
    Nissan says quality crusade is yielding positive results

AutoWeek.com

TOKYO -- Nissan Motor Co. says it has redesigned hundreds of parts in vehicles built at its new Canton, Miss., plant in an effort to fix quality problems.

About 200 Japanese engineers descended on the plant in May after three models built there fared poorly in the latest J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study.

"We redesigned every possible component," says Eiji Imai, Nissan's senior vice president in charge of quality assurance.

Nissan vehicles built at the year-old plant performed dismally in the survey of consumer quality perceptions for the 2004 model year. The first three nameplates launched at the plant - the redesigned Quest minivan, Titan full-sized pickup and Pathfinder Armada SUV - scored last in their segments.

Imai says he will test drive the 2005 Altima and Maxima - both built at Nissan's Smyrna, Tenn., plant - by the end of July. He will drive the Canton-produced 2005 Quest, Armada and Titan models in late August.

By the end of June, Nissan engineers filled in more than 200 "design notes." The notes inform Nissan or a supplier that a specific component will be redesigned. Each note accounts for one or more components.

The engineers tackled such items as an air conditioner that performed poorly, a radio tuner that was not calibrated precisely, steering components that caused the vehicle to pull or drift to one side and window seals that allowed excessive noise into the cabin.

Imai won't elaborate on which problem affected which vehicle.
    Imai says the efforts are working. For example, he says, Nissan quickly reduced the number of vehicles with torn seams in the seat to 0.3 out of 100 from seven per 100.

But results-oriented Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn won't be happy until he sees Nissan ranked much higher in the next J.D. Power survey.
  • >>Now if Nissan would increase the GVWR of the truck and maybe come out with a 3/4 ton version and a diesel they'd be doing pretty good.<<

Ironic for you to be saying this after chiding me on the impractical side of 3/4 ton diesels.

Seems appropriate when seeking objective comments on the Titan, to henceforth disregard yours as cheerleading.
  • akanglakangl Posts: 3,592
    Ya lost me, lol. For us a 3/4 ton diesel didn't make sense at the time, but that was before we learned all about GVWR/GCWR/tongue weight and all that fun stuff. Our other truck is a 1 ton V10 that is used for busness.

The Titan will work fine, we just have to watch the weights. I will eventually move up because we want a 5th wheel travel trailer. For starters we are going to go with a small used travel trailer and Mr Tidy (my daughter's name for the Titan) will do just fine and still get better fuel economy than our V10.
  • scott174scott174 Posts: 74
    Nissan has posted a TSB for the lousy radio reception. Go to the Nissannews.com website. It basically calls for replacement of the head unit from PANASONIC.(Thought it said BOSE on it) Hope this helps!!
  • boomer1bboomer1b Posts: 348
    Ya know a titan weighs in at 5300 lbs.
    A 2500 HD x-cab weighs about the same !
    My old 01 2500 LD xcab weighed in at 4900.
    Seems to me to already be a 3/4 ton in sheeps clothing.............

I think they call it a 1/2 ton for some marketing savvy. Most hp, more trailer towing ability, etc. compared to the "other" 1/2 ton trucks out there.
    Prob. didn't want to follow toyotas folly with its 7/8 size 1/2 ton.

OPINIONS ?????
  • GVWR = CurbWeight + Payload

Looking over the specs I have, the Titan SE King Cab 4x4 is 6550 GVWR, 1508 payload (includes passengers), curb weight 5042, towing 9500.

The 2500HD in the same configuration is 9200 GVWR, 3646 payload (includes passengers), curb weight 5554, towing 15,700.

A really salient (although obscure) specification is found inside the drivers side door jamb on the certification label for RGAWR (Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating), basically an indicator of how much tongue weight can be accommodated on the hitch.

The curb weight by itself isn't too illustrative, until you consider the ratio of payload to curb weight. For that, the 3/4 to 1 ton formula nets you beefier springs, stronger (floating axles), beefier driveline, more rigid frame, yada..yada. Exactly why they are bouncier and less fun to drive when empty.

Now for the opinion:

Seems to me Titan is more of a 1/2 ton in wolfs clothing...nothing to take offense at, but you would only be fooling yourself if you chose to believe otherwise and put that belief to the actual test with 1200 lbs of tongue weight on the hitch, a 12,000 lb travel trailer, and head up Grand Targee Pass.

In all honesty, many things about the Titan I find nearly irresistable, way more fun to drive, a more practical daily driver.

Most of the time I don't need 3600 lbs payload, or 15,000 lbs towing, or 4x4 drive systems.

But when you do need it, you NEED it!

That's my $0.02, no hype, no sugar coating. Titan is the 1/2 ton model I would choose (and wish I could make do with), has some room for minor improvement in the initial quality, radio most notably, and could use better shock placement in rear a la Tundra for off-roading.

But Nissan definitely got it right avoiding the small-truck identity crisis, put in a GREAT engine and 5 spd automatic, and got it right in the engine details, silent chain driven cams, 32 valves, aluminum block. Nissan knows how to design engines.
  • boomer1bboomer1b Posts: 348
    Good post!
     Still looking for a old reg. to one of my old 1/2 ton ex-cabs for dry weight #s.
  • mikeomikeo Posts: 5
    my LE 4x4 with big tow and ranchos rides just as comfy and tight as the 02 Tundra I traded for it .. only exception is older slab pavement, where it hops noticeably.

Have the common RF radio-fade complaint as well, but XM satellite is so much superior that we don't really care.

Experience has taught me that excess tonque weight wears shocks rapidly, so trailer axle placement in relation to the trailer midpoint is a crucial consideration.
  • Read my other post on the QX56. If you think it is too wordy, read the bottom with the link to the National Highway Traffic Safety Authority.

If you are experiance the same problem be sure to post a complaint on their web site.

yamamoto "Infiniti QX56" Aug 10, 2004 10:56am
  • akanglakangl Posts: 3,592
    Of this problem. Thankfully my Titan doesn't seem to have it. My son can sit in the pass side seat and the airbag light goes out. He's 5' and 90 lbs. I've never had an issue with the airbag sensor at all.

My Titan is 2 mos old with almost 8k miles on it. Other than a pesky driver's side window its been a great truck.
  • I looked up close at a Titan today for the first time and was told no cover is available if you have the rail system. somebody must be working on that! Truck looks nice, Drove nice. does anyone know if they make a receiver hitch for the front of these yet?
  • Please tell me more about this Truxedo Lo Profile Cover
  • Purchased my LE King Cab 2X4 in January and now have about 7K miles on the clock. Great truck with a great thirst - but hey, I didn't expect a big V8 to push it's 5,000 pound bulk around at 40 mpg.

Just noticed a disturbing problem with the factory spray-on bed liner - it's separating from the bed, forming 4"-6" bubbles. The total area is about 4 square feet. It has had minimal cargo in the bed, but does sit in the sun at times, so maybe that has contributed to the problem. I'll see what the dealer says.

The only other issue I have had with my Titan was at 3K miles a mildly pulsating brake pedal developed when stopping. I thought the front rotors had warped and would need to be machined - but mysteriously the pulsating disappeared - go figure.

Again, great truck. Seriously considered the Tundra and the F-150 since I was a former F-250 owner. Nissan really got this one right.
  • keaneckeanec Posts: 349
    It works fairly well with the utilitrac system (with a minor mod) and it looks great! It locks if you lock the rear tailgate also. I can point you to more info if you are interested.

by the way, The Titan rocks and you should seriously consider it. There are other places where you can get much more info than on this board.
  • I just bought a nissan titan SE 4X4 crew cab (I only have 100 miles on it so far) and two things are driving me crazy:

(1) When the A/C is on low, it sounds like someone is under my dash breathing with an iron lung.

(2) When driving 55 mph, the exhaust note is annoying. It is too loud and constant. Does anyone else have this problem???
  • keaneckeanec Posts: 349
    Don't barely notice the exhaust, it is there, but I like the sound - if I had wanted serene quiet...I would have bought a Rolls. :-)

The a/c sound has been mentioned but I don't notice it too much.
  • accumacaccumac Posts: 16
    I have 18,000 miles on my Titan, I don't notice the exhaust anymore except for when I am outside the truck and somebody else starts it up. The A/C hissing has subsided quite a bit and I only occasionally notice it. The dash rattle around the instrument cluster drives me crazy and my dealer is absolutely worthless taking care of this. I hate to work on my own vehicle when it is under warranty but I am going to have to fix this squeek, any suggestions?
  • scott174scott174 Posts: 74
    Yes!! Take it to another Dealer. My Armada, which yours is based on had the same instrument cluster area squeak. They replaced the instrument cluster surround and no more squeak. If you press down on the dark gray/black piece just above the steering column, you will probably hear the dreaded squeak. The plastic is deformed, and will be replaced under the warranty. The money Nissan spent on warranty claims for 2003 and 2004 must be in the millions!!! This is what happens when you squeeze every penny out of your suppliers!!! "You can't polish a turd"
  • I have had my LE crew cab since 12/3/03 and have seen my share of issues. Not Sure if you are still around but i too have the typical brake dust. I will try different compound pads when replacement is due and as for the A/C issue I have the exact problem. A/C switch is off fan is ON and same temp. Even cold. Switch On and OFF the A/C selector and all the same. I do hear the compressor kicking on when i am at idle that is how i discovered the i have a problem. Going to the dealer for this one.

Also i have a steering wheel clicking behind the airbag like it is in the hub or a spring for accessory contact points or something. tired to point it out for 2 visits and it is hard to repeat for the tech but my next visit i am insisting to dismantle and or replace. I am pretty good at identifying a problem and this is not suspension carrying up the steering column either.

One last complaint is the instrument cluster squeak. This is driving me mad and will be fixed too.

***As for the drive train this truck is sweet and ooohhh so powerful.
  • mccdon1mccdon1 Posts: 32
    The FM fade problem finally has a TSB. (NTB04087) Go to www.titantalk.com forums, general discussions, and find the thread on radio TSB. It involves replacing the unit. Everyone who has had it replaced has reported significant improvement. I am bringing mine in next week.