Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Touareg Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    Why wasn't this bearing covered under warranty? Were you just past the warranty period?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Is there an attorney out there that is willing to file a class action against VW on behalf of T-reg owners?

There probably is but this is not the place to solicit and hire attorneys.

tidester, host
  • shavershaver Posts: 18
    The vehicle was under waranty however, there were (2) loose nuts and some rounding off of the nuts and a some what new VW parts sticker therefore, the dealership made the assumption that the bearing had been replaced, possibly due to damage, possibly by a non dealer and therefore, would not warrant the repair. It is entirely possible that a dealer mechanic had a worn out socket for his air wrench.We bought the car used at 28,000. All of this is conjecture and the VW factory rep backed the dealership.
  • Our lawfirm handles automotive class actions and we have another one with VW/Audi right now. VW's typical response is to send you back to the dealer and have the dealer give you the run-around until your warranty expires. Then it's your problem. Or, their Plan B strategy is to claim that, "You didn't have your car serviced at an authorized dealer - the shop where you went must have screwed it up and we don't fix that."

I came to this site to check out potential problems with a Touareg because I was planning on buying one. After reading about problem after problem, I think I will keep looking for another vehicle. If I had spent $45,000+ on a new Touareg, I would be pretty mad to have the kind of problems that I am reading about.

VW expects that the vast majority of the public will not get a lawyer and hold them responsible and will just sell their car at a loss rather than fight them in court. Lawyers handle these cases on a contingent fee basis - you pay a percentage if you win, no attorneys fees if you loose. Seems like more people ought to stand up for what is right and stop taking this from manufacturers that don't stand behind their products!
  • lawboylawboy Posts: 9
    Hi, been thinking about a new Touareg, probably the V8 but after reading some of your discussions here have become very hesitant; love the style, drive etc... but don't have time or patience for a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] car (i.e. taking it to the dealer for repairs regularly); part of reason why I buy brand new is for hassle free driving for several years until the car ages etc...; anyway, do any of you know if VW has been working on the problems mentioned in this forum and perhaps the 06's are less problematic; I plan on driving this thing every weekend in the winters for skiing, a long drive and don't have the time to deal with headaches, any advise would be appreciated

p.s. other car I am considering is the BMW X5 but don't like the body style as much; any thoughts there would also be appreciated

thanks
  • morey000morey000 Posts: 320
    From what I read over at
    http://forums.clubtouareg.com/
    it appears that the '06's are a bit better. The other issue with the Touareg initially, other than it being a totally new design, was that the dealers didn't know how to fix this new and very complex vehicle. They appear to be learning.

What I've surmised about the T-regg is that:
    1. There is no other SUV that comes close to it in handling, feel, style(subjective), luxury and 4wd or towing capability... for the price. It's an enthusiasts SUV.
    2. Its reliability is in direct proportion to its complexity. Sure a 4Runner will be more reliable, but sit inside it and you'll know you're in a completely different class of $40K vehicle. The V-dub comes standard with more features than are even options on the best outfitted 4runner Limited- for about the same price.

Also- and this is arguable, as it's only my impression- that Touareg drivers are a bit more obsessive about their vehicles than Toyota drivers, and are more likely to report and complain about little problems.
  • spressospresso Posts: 2
    I bought a 2006 V6 Touareg 4 weeks ago and have less than 1500 miles on the car. Recently, the MIL indicator came on and the car shakes when idle and is now doing so at speeds over 30 MPH as well. The RPMs are jumping constantly. I am driving as little as possible until the dealer can squeeze me in, but I do have a commute!

Anyone have a suggestion for what it could be? Am I safe to drive it in the meantime?

Thanks!
  • cat3126cat3126 Posts: 43
    I have a 05 that I have owned for 15 months. As some has posted it is a complex enthusiasts SUV.I have changed oil every 4-5K and presently have 24K+ miles on it.I have towed a 4500# boat and trailer,did a little bit of off road,and 4 ,2500 mile cross country trips.I enjoyed every mile.
    The only complaints would be mileage 17-19 mpg,and the substandard Continental tires which I am going to replace with Bridgestone AA Duelers.
    I have an 04 with a six and I'm envious of your mileage. We are getting only 15 mpg and they are all long commute miles. Is this typical of the six? I also am experiencing a hesitation leaving from a stop or during acceleration. The VW dealer told us that this was an inherent problem. Is this true and has anyone had success at correcting it.
    I find that the T'reg is sensitive to the various blends of gas that are available.If I get premium that has 10% ethanol my mileage drops. I try and stay with Shell or Chevron who do not add ethanol to their premium
    I a;so change my shift points depending what I,m doing,ie cross country trips I try to get into 6 th gear asap.Towing the boat I let it wind up to higher RPM,s.Towing the boat I get about 14 mpg.
    Hi, just got a 06 V8 and so far only used Premium Gas; saw note from previous post about using only Shell or Chevron for optimum gas mileage; what about performance and wear and tear on the engine; is it best to use Premium gas from Shell or Chevron only, or can I use Premium gas from any station??? also can I use lower grade fuel or should I always stick with Premium; any thoughts would help

Thanks
    I have only used Shell or Chevron premium because they are the only ones that I know that do not put ethanol in their premium. I live in WI where
    we have restrictions on our fuel composition ,most others use large %of ethanol to get in compliance.
    I have never used less than premium in my T'reg.
    I was not aware of the ethanol and am guilty of using any brand. I have tried the 87 octane but after the first 4 tanks the car noticeably did not perform well and we have since only used 91 octane. The news just reported this week that fuel prices will be going up substantially do to the elimination of MTBE and the replacement with ethanol which will create an ethanol shortage.
    I just got the 06' V8 with single CD player; no cd changer in trunk yet; was thinking I would rather get Satellite Radio; any tips on the least obtrusive and effective method for doing so; I do not wany any outside people installing anything for fear of giving VW an excuse later on to beg off the warranty; p.s. My wife has Sirrus in her car and I believe I can join on the same membership just have to figure out a way to install in my car; appreciate any thoughts and this forum so far has been really, really helpful

thanks again
    I also have a 2004 six. I can't attest that your problem is the same as mine but it was the carrier bearing on the drive line that caused a very similar noise such as the one you describe. It became so loud that it was embarrassing.
  • My father-in-law just sold me his very low miles 2004 Touareg, and he bought a new 2006. (Both V8's) I have always told him to use Premium when he owned the '04, and now the '06. I did use 88 octane once, and because I'm in Salt Lake City, the elevation doesn't affect it a lot, but power difference was slight. The reason Chevron is great to use is that VW / Audi Service have praised Chevron's Techron fuel system cleaner that's in their gas for years. This helps your engine run better by controlling carbon build-up.

Ultimately, you can use lower grade gas if you drive the car at an elevation that is so much above sea level.
  • panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    hmmm. Squeeze you in! You spent $40k on a new car, have a problem like that and can't get in. Be assertive or find another dealer and don't look back. My dealer would pee his pants to help you out. Drive into the service line, ask to have it looked at immediately or ask for a loaner and leave it. Smile and be nice. If they don't go for it with a smile on their face, don't ever go back, and tell your friends.
    It'll run ok on regular, you may not notice the performance difference, except for slightly less gas mileage, maybe 0.3 to 0.5 mpg. I've tried long periods with both regular and premium gas. I prefer Shell premium, which I use almost exclusively because I get 5% back and they have $2 coupons in the paper every week. In Colorado, all gas has lots of ethanol, even Shell. I sure miss real gas.

What is compelling though, is that the engine adjusts to lower octane by making the mixture richer, which explains the lower mileage, but it also seems to make more carbon deposits in the tailpipes, because combustion is less efficient. I can only imagine what's accumulating in the head. I'm guessing that's only a problem for people that plan to keep them past the normal lease period. If I was leasing it, I would run regular for 20 cents a gallon less.
    Gas in Salt Lake (and Denver) is formulated for high altitude, and is a couple of octane points below gas sold at sea level. That does not imply the quality is less, just adjusted for the reduced octane requirement at altitude. Use premium or at least mid-grade if you care about your car. Use regular if you don't plan to keep it for the long haul. Also, I don't know if the warranty is affected by using regular gas as a habit.
    Thanks for all the input, I plan on keeping the car for the long haul and want the optimum performance(what I paid for) so Premium it is for my rig