Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Touareg Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Ouch! Maybe I should have done the same and sold it b4 warranty expired.
  • When I turn the wheels, I get an ungodly thumping noise and a sharp "k-bang" shudder, repeatedly, at low speed. It sometimes continues when I driving straight at lower speeds, disappears above 40mph.

WTF?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Check to make sure all of your wheel lugs are tight.
  • Hi - I had the same issue and the dealer I bought the car from said it was the type of tires the car uses (yeah, right . . .) but then we moved to the West coast and I got it in for service where the dealer tech told me that there are small servo-motors that actually adjust the rear wheel speed depending on turn ratio. If you think about it logically, the fron of the car is turning left or right at a slow rate of speed, so the rear wheels need to adjust either the left or the right in order to catch up with the rest. Otherwise the tire edge literally drags itself along the pavement. Try it with a kids matchbox car: just try to get the car to turn left or right without moving it forward very far and you'll notice the rear tires scraping along the table/floor. Once they changed these motors (on warranty, thank god!) the car was fine. I get the idea that many of these VW dealers are pulling at straws.
  • Anyone have to change their headlamps yet? We had one on warranty so no sweat, but the most recent one blew out and cost me $400 to replace! Christ, I used to change the halogen unit in my Bronco for under $20 bucks! It took me 30 minutes and I had plenty of beer money left over. Now baby wants a new pair of shoes and the headlamp took the priority. Anyone have this issue?
    Also, while I am ranting about my 2004 V8 'reg, has anyone experienced a problem with the underseat illumination pice poping out of it's bezel and hanging down?
    The dealer said someone keeps kicking it with their feet when they sit in the back - well have any of you tried to put anyone comfortable in the back?? Not happening.
  • Mine is still under warranty so I have not had to pay for them yet, but here is some advice for the rest of you who will be losing their warranty soon. I told the dealer both of my head lights would only come on sometimes and I didn't know why. Without question they replaced both head lights for me at no cost. I have had numerous problems with my reg so I make things up when it goes in for normal service to get them to look at everything before the warranty is up. This way you don't have to pay for them to inspect your reg and they almost always find something wrong, unless they are lying to me. Just tell them you "sometimes hear a wierd noise in the engine, not all the time, but sometimes." They will inspect the whole thing for you and look for anything wrong.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ...the dealer tech told me that there are small servo-motors that actually adjust the rear wheel speed depending on turn ratio. If you think about it logically, the fron of the car is turning left or right at a slow rate of speed, so the rear wheels need to adjust either the left or the right in order to catch up with the rest. Otherwise the tire edge literally drags itself along the pavement. ...

Umm... That's exactly why cars are equipped with differentials. That tech sold you a bill of goods.
  • carolp1carolp1 Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 V8 fully loaded Touareg. It has 63,000. I replaced front brakes/rotors etc last April 15th for $900 @ dealer. I was just told today, April 3, that i will need to have both front and back done (light went on) and that the total cost is nearly $2000. The dealer tells me that the pads cannot be replaced but the entire break "unit" including rotors must be replaced that is why the cost.
    I have a 2006 V fully loaded T-reg. I get about 10 miles to the gallon.
    I have a 2006 Touareg and just had the pleasure of being told that not just the bulb neede replacement but the igniter is also bad--total cost over $600 for 1 headlight. Can anyone tell me it this sounds right?
    I have a 2006 V8 fully loaded Touareg. I bought it brand new at the end of 2006. I have had to have the drive shaft replaced 2 times(within 3 months of purchase 1st time, then 6 months 2nd) I have had the Navigation replaced once. My 1st set of "soft summer" tires 19" Continentals lasted 18,000. (I replaced them with Toyos, they lasted over 40,000 and still strong) Sensors will not turn off. After it rains they just continually beep and lights are all on. Front brakes done last year now I'm told front and back must be replaced again. Right headlight just went out and was told igniter must be replaced with headlight for over $600. I am afraid to get into the car as another alarm may alert me something is in need of repair. I contacted a lemon law attorney ut was told in my state of CA that an issue must occur 3 times in order to utilize this protection. :mad: :cry: :confuse: :lemon:
  • elmodawgelmodawg Posts: 2
    Love my 06 V6 'Reg (31k miles)....only very minor issues, and nothing like the nightmare stories on this board. It's been a great car -- comfortable, safe, good-looking.

But....we need a bigger vehicle since the arrival of an (unplanned!) second child.

Dealer will give me 22k for it. I am thinking that since the warranty in close to expiring, the tires have another 6 months, and that I have been lucky so far to have escaped the electrical and mechanical issues that seem so common, perhaps it's time to trade it in....

Anyone here have a good reason why I shouldn't?
  • I have an '07 Touareg AND two kids (3 and 6) and LOVE it. I had a minivan before and the Touareg was my dream car so I made the jump to that. I don't feel it's too small for two kids. One is in a booster seat with a back and the other is still in a car seat (Britax) and they both fit great in the back seat. There may even be room for another kid in between them (not with a car seat or booster seat thought) but we've never had to do that. There's still plenty of room in the way back for a stroller (or in my case a big rolling bag/showcase and huge totebag that I take to shows as a cooking consultant for a direct sales company).

I know I'd be sad if I had to give up my 'reg, so I just wanted to add my two cents as a mom with two kids. :)

ETA: Oh and congrats on the surprise! I know lots of parents with surprises! :)
  • elmodawgelmodawg Posts: 2
    thanks for the reply. we have the booster and a britax in the back seat as well, and I would never say there's plenty of room, though it is adequate...we do lot's of gear-intensive things and thus we are often packed to the gills. but space issues aside, i think it might be a good time (i.e., before the warranty is up) to capitalize on the equity in the car and trade it prior to experiencing any problems.

mathematically, that may just make the most sense.

thanks for the reply
  • jeffreyvjeffreyv Posts: 3
    The differentials do no good at slow manuevers and parking turns and so forth. Without these integral pieces you have a shuddering effect when making deliberate turns at speeds below 15 mph. No line of goods here, it was done under warranty and the problem went away. I researched it when it was diagnosed and this seemed to be logical as an explanation.
    The ca turns smoothly now at any speed and it cost me nothing but two days without my car. Thanks for your concern, tayl0rd. :D
  • This is my first post here. I know there have been many posts about the braking system of the Touareg. I just had my fronts/rears replaced on my 2006 V8 with 23K miles. Total cost of $2K. For that mileage its just crazy. After complaining to the service manager because of the seemingly early wear and the cost (but that is dealer prices for a car that requires new rotors as well - a whole different topic) - he took me aside and said that there are an increasing number of these trucks needing new brakes at very low miles. When I spoke with the owner of the dealership he was shocked. The problem is that the service departments love this.

So i filed a formal complaint with VW. They are very nice and responsive but the resolution was just normal wear and tear.

Anyway if it is in fact true that many of these newer year and model Touareg's require a $2K maintenance job for just brakes before $25K miles I would be surprised if anyone would purchase them. I certainly wouldn't have.

The other interesting point is that the reason these brakes wear so fast is that for certain model years and styles they are apparently the same brakes used on the Aston Martin DB9, two Ferrari models and a Lamborghini.

I have two little kids and appreciate quality brakes which i assume the Touareg has but that level of cost this early is far too excessive. I traded in my Jeep GC Limited for the VW and that had 50K miles and the original brakes.
  • paddybpaddyb Posts: 1
    Wow! After reading through all these problems, I've been very fortunate.

I've had a 2005 Toureg for over 3 years, and 95,000 miles. Great car, on my third set of tires, brakes done once completely ($2,100.00) No mechancal problems, until now.

At slow speeds, like turning into a parking spot, the front end makes kind of a clicking noise, and the front tires seem to skip, like they're out of sych.

Anyone else experienced this, and if so, what did it turn out to be? Can't seem to get through to a VW tech.
  • qpowerqpower Posts: 34
    Your scrubbing problem is related to the stepper motor which helps the vehicle turn in all-wheel drive modes thru radii in motion, especially in slow maneuvers like you describe. It is affixed to the transfer case.

These were such a known issue that VW had conducted a refit campaign for all trucks made between certain VIN's and were mostly affecting 2004 MY. I own just one, but have not had troubles. I do not believe they will replace now unless under warranty.

You do want to get this addressed right off as this will damage your tires within relatively short mileage - you are tearing the tire material against the road.

Good luck!
  • qpowerqpower Posts: 34
    There is a lot of data on this at ClubTouareg.com or by search at VWVortex.com.

Please review the posts here at ClubTouareg.com: This is a long thread all about the brakes. There is no real justification for spending all that money. Take the initiative to spend your money wisely!

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f47/aftermarket-f-r-rotors-pads-hardware-and-s- ensors-now-11903.html

:shades:
  • arhouarhou Posts: 8
    I've had my 2008 T2 for about a month and love the vehicle except that the steering is pulling to the right. VW shop in Bryan, TX stated that there is a bulletin on this concern and realigned the frontend. It's better but not 100%. Has anyone had this problem and is there a known fix?

thanks