Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Navigation System Hints and Experiences

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
Talk about Acura TL navigation system here.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• mdhaukemdhauke Posts: 202
    Great idea for a new topic. The Navigation system is such an integral part of the new TL that I am sure there are a lot of tips and experiences people want to share. I pick up my new TL in 3 weeks so would to hear some pointers.
  • msf2msf2 Posts: 88
    Questions: Can you locate a place or destination by entering a phone number, or , must it be an address?
    Can the system be updated? Some have said it will be obsolete in three years.
    How does it accomodate destinations that don't exist yet? (Must it have updates?)
    Some time ago someone on the TL discussion site posted ALL the voice commands for the system....does anybody remember which post it was?
  • aciampiaciampi Posts: 66
    1. You can enter phone numbers for destinations only if it is a buisness. If you are looking to get to a friends home you need to enter their address.

2. The system can be updated. It comes in form of a new DVD-ROM with updated maps and possible software. The thing I don't know is when Acura releases updates, and how much they are. As far as being obsolete in three years, anything having to do with computers is obsolete the second it is produced. There is constantly newer technology being produced to blow the previous away. All I can say about it is that in my opinion it is an awesome system.

3. From what I have expierenced with destinations that dont exist is that you may need to find the physical address and go from there. For example when looking for the Krispy Kreme in Massachusetts I had to go on the web site to get the address because as far as the DVD knew there was no Krispy Kreme. So you would need an update the newest places of interest

And I believe the post you are looking for is on the Acura TL discussion. #4518 of 5074 free7bird / Voice Commands by gcruzsmith
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Do you have to keep the DVD disc in the unit to use it, or do you just install/download it once just like you would install a computer program into a computer?
    You have to have the DVD in at all times in order to use it
    Thanks very much! I think I have to have one!
    Not a problem. you wont be dissapointed if you do, the only problem is actually finding a TL with Nav unless you plan on ordering one.
    How has your experience been so far with the various voice commands? Some discussion has indicated that the command must be very exact to be understood by the system. Are there certain commands it responds to better than others?
    Thanks!
  • bnet504bnet504 Posts: 18
    i plan on buying a TL soon and i was just wandering if u can play the dvd disc and a cd at the same time
    From my expierence the voice commands aren't too bad. It is true that you do have to be a little louder than normal, and clear without any background noise. Even the Acura manuale states that the fan speed should be no more than the 2 bar level. For the most part I haven't had much trouble at all with it. The only command that religiously screws up on me is when I say "CD Play Track 3" and it repeats to me "CD Track Repeat." Also once in a while when telling the computer a telephone number it may screw up one digit. Other than that its not too bad unless you give commands at the wrong screen. For instance you can only say "Display Off" when in the setup screen. If you say it while on the map screen it will repeat to you "Display Hotel/Motel." And it also seems that every time I speek a little too quickly or accidently screw up a word it always ends up telling me what time it is. All and all it really is relativly easy to get used to. It may take a day but when you figure out what it requires to be fully functional it really is an excellent addition to what is already a great unit. In my mind anyway.

As far as bnet504's question about playing a DVD and CD at the same time, the answer is no. It acts like a normal CD player but with the added bonus of being able to play DVD Audio if desired. Also and this is just because the question has poped up before, it doesn't have the capabilities of playing DVD videos.
    My question for you is why would you want it to play both at the same time?
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    bnet504...if you meant to ask if you could "play" the dvd for the nav and a CD in the stereo system at the same time the answer is yes. Yes, because they are played in two different systems. The Nav DVD is "played" in the Nav DVD system in the trunk, while you would "play" the cd or dvd-audio in the stereo in the dash.

10 of 11 nav dvd by bnet504 Jan 22, 2004 (8:54 pm)
    i plan on buying a TL soon and i was just wandering if u can play the dvd disc and a cd at the same time
  • bnet504bnet504 Posts: 18
    thanks for the answers
  • if you mean the DVD Map disk...it's in a separate compartment in the trunk. It has nothing to do with playing audio CD's or DVD's. So yeah, you can have the DVD-Map and DVD Audio going at the same time...
    Keeping you busy here.......
    When you enter a destination how quickly does it come up on the screen?
    Are you able to follow your progress on a long trip on the screen and still listen to XM radio or an audio DVD?
    My mistake bnet504, I thought you you were talking about a DVD Audio Disc at the same time as a CD.

It only takes about 10 seconds at the most when you enter a destination. The only time it might take longer is if you plan a destination that is a great distance. For example I live in Mass but for kicks I decided to see how long it would take me to get from my house to the Mirage Hotel And Casion in Las Vegas. And that took about 20 seconds to compute.
    While using the navigational screen you can listen to AM/FM, XM, CD, or DVD. You can also switch between the map screen and the audio screen without loseing your destination input. It will also still give voice directions while in the audio screen.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Does the system automatically mute the stereo when the voice directions come on?
  • I read somewhere that as a "safety feature", the 2004 TL navigation system won't allow you to input an address while the car is in motion.

I love my '99 TL's Navi system and I look forward to getting a new 04 TL, but after reading about this new "safety feature" I am afraid it will really take the fun out of using the system.

For example, if I decide I want to find a Pizza Hut while on the road, do I need to stop the car, to use the system to find one?

Can anyone confirm this?

I've been using my current system for five years without any safety issue.

Is Acura's next step diabling the temperature control system so you can't turn down the A/C without pulling over?
  • kphkph Posts: 40
    That review was in error, as was noted in the "Acura TL" forum. One of the Host's mentioned that they fowarded this to the reviewer (the error is in the Edmunds detailed review).

You can enter information while in motion, like past Honda/Acura nav systems. At lease I could when I was on a test drive.
    The voice directions doesn't mute the radio, but it does turn it down enough for you to hear the directions.
  • Has anyone compared the distance traveled on the Navi system to the Trip computer to the odometer. I have heard they use different calculations. Does anyone know. I was also told it was in my manual but I have yet to find it.