Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Navigation System Hints and Experiences

1161718192022»

Comments

• kkc717kkc717 Posts: 3
    I upgraded the disc on my '07 TL in March '11. Since them I've experienced intermittent problems with it shutting down causing a display message of "DVD disc reading error. Contact Dealer" Every time it's done this I've been able to get it running again by turning the car off and then on or ejecting and reloading the disc in the trunk navi box. I took it to the dealer, they ran all the diagnostics and said everything was running perfectly. They then told me that the disc player is probably going bad and to replace the entire navi box would be $3,015! They claimed that these units aren't repaired as it isn't worth the cost. These units are "thrown away" like a $100 DVD player. I find that hard to believe as I can't believe a $3,000 unit is comparable to a $100 DVD player. By-the-way I believe they had an alterior motive as they also tried to sell me a new car knowing that I probably wouldn't put that kind of money into that old a car.

I contacted the company I got the disc from and requested a new one. They gave me a case number and said they'd review the problem as the 30 day warranty is up. I haven't heard back from them yet.

I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this problem and if your problem was resolved. I use my car on business travel and really need the navi system.
  • well i seened that problem before its your dvd rom in the trunk thats bad you can find them on ebay for a real good price
  • happyacuraownrhappyacuraownr Posts: 4
    edited July 2011
    DON"T DO ANYTHING with the dealer, or Ebay...

Go on Alpine's website. They are the manufacturer of the box in the trunk. For 158.00 flat, they will refurbish your DVD player and sent it back to you.

I had EXACTLY the same issue, and error messages. I sent it to them and within 3 weeks I had the unit back, and fully operational.

The unit removes easily from your trunk. Remove the trunk coverings, 4 screws that hold the bracket on, then 4 screws that hold the unit into the bracket, plus the all the connectors in the rear unit.

Piece of cake, and now I have my GPS back and saved literally thousands.

Here is the link, call the 800 number for OEM service. They will give you the address in CA to send the unit.

link title
  • alli7alli7 Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I just noticed that my Nav. system is freezing and flickering. When I tried to eject the CD from the player, it seems that there isn't any power (not ejecting). Beside the Nav., I don't have access to the touch screen radio and climate controls. Does anyone have any solutions beside buying a new unit?
    Thanks.
  • very common issue... i now have the 2010 tl... the navi recently said... stay on road for a while... great response.. i pushed voice again... then it said how many miles...

i think the woman in the navi has a sense of humor.

good l,uck

w
  • I have an '07 TL and had a problem with the navi after installing a new disk. The dealer wanted $3,015 for a new navi box. They said they throw the boxes away when they malfunction which can be caused by either replacing the car battery or installing an updated disk. I found out the box was distributed by Alpine Electonics in Torrence, CA. (The info on Alpine was labeled on the box.) I sent the box to them for repairs that cost a flat $158. The dealer had to pull the box and then reinstall it (no other options except for the dealer as they have to sync it to the car again). Total cost for me was about 10% of the cost to replace the box. The navi system and related operations work perfectly and there is a one year warranty on Alpine's work. By-the-way I gave the dealer service dept the info on Alpine and they told me they gave that info to two other customers within one week of my providing it to them. Try pulling the box and contacting the distributor whose info should be on it.
  • Hi,
    I sent in my Navi to Alpine in Calif. I am assuming I should get it back in a couple of weeks. I didn't realize my dealer needs to resync it?
  • Alpine received my Navi on a Wednesday, called me on Thursday to tell me it was fixed and to get a credit card #. They shipped it to me on Friday.

After the bad advice I got from the dealer I wanted no part of dealing with them to fix the Navi. Unfortunately no auto repair shop would touch the pulling of the box or reinstalling it. All shops told me the same thing, that the dealer was the only place that had the tools necessary to re sync the box to the car. I went back to the dealer, had them do the work and all has worked perfectly since then. They also washed the car and vacuumed it.
  • 05t105t1 Posts: 11
    For those who live in the Chicago land area has anyone bought the updated navigation disc and does it have the 355 extension and the exit at 173 to get off for Machesney Park. Any help would be appreciated.
  • When I push the talk button and say "what time is it?" nothing happens. When I push the talk button and say "help" a long list of commands is read to me and one of the commands offered is "what time is it?" Now, I am not all that worried about what time it is, since I wear a watch and there is that poor excuse for a clock on the dash, but it says you can query the time by saying "what time is it?

What am I doing wrong -- I have tried it in map mode, with and without the nav function engaged and from a variety of screens.

I am going to the dealer for help on this, but not until next week so I figured I'd ask the cyber community first.

Thanks.
  • svetule4eksvetule4ek Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    Hi, everybody. I recently purchased TL 2005 and don't really like the navigation system. I used to have a Garmin GPS and it always gave me estimated time of arrival as oppose to my TL system that gives me estimated travel time, which really bugs me. Does every Navi system do that or I can change it somewhere in settings? Plus the travel time changes a lot as I go, and I really can't understand when I'm going to arrive.

I want to buy an updated disk for the system as mine is original and 6 years old now. Is this feature any different in updated versions? Thanks
  • cpn2cpn2 Posts: 2
    I'm pretty sure you cannot change it. I foolishly purchased the updated disk (for2010). The only changes are some expansions in map coverage and new POIs. Regarding the latter (which I have an ongoing beef with Acura about), they do not tell you that the 2010 update is the same as that installed in the 2010 Acura which came out in 2009. Their cutoff date for production is June 30th. Navteq, who gets the data from D&B and then sells it to Acura, has their own cutoff date of Jan 1st. So the newest POI data on the 2010 disk is from December 2008!
    I have yet to see Acura provide any new features to the software from year to year for the same "part #". Only when they change the part - because there is something new in the hardware - do they change the software. And that is NOT backwardly compatable. Like when they added iPod support in 2007.
    So you are unlikely to get an ETA on your 2005 - or much else you do not already have, EXCEPT (unless the fixed it in 2011) a buggy algorithm for calculating the routes. My 2010 version does some very strange routing that the version that came with my TL did not. Acura's response to my inquiry about this was SO bad, my current TL (my 3rd) will be my last.

Does anyone else find really odd routing in their Nav systems?
  • Dealer said it is supposed to work as I thought -- hopefully there is a software fix for this.

Does anyone else have this issue with a 2012 TL Advance SH-AWD?
  • org1org1 Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2005 TL Nuvi. I recently purchased the updated disc. Everything is working great.
    I am able to delete the addresses from the set-up screen. I can not figure out how to delete the personal addresses. I went under user 1 and user 2 and there are a lot of personal addresses i both. Does anyone know how to delete them? I asked the dealer and they told me what I already know and it does not delete the personal addresses.
  • org1org1 Posts: 2
    I just purchased the latest 2012, I have much better maps of my area. Also arrival estimated time. I like the DVD update much better than my 05 version.
  • zenicanjzenicanj Posts: 1
    Hi...I just received the "invitation" from Acura to buy an updated navigation DVD but my question is this. Shouldn't these updated discs be free during the factory warranty period?

I remember with our 99 TL that had the HDD based navigation system, the dealer handled
    the map updates for free when it was under warranty. Our old service records also reflect this was for free. That car has since been switched to a DVD based system, so perhaps I'd use the invitation to buy that update disc.
  • Are you sure the cost was $158? I just spoke with Alpine and they quoted me $358 for a 2006 unit...
  • Yes. It was in 2011.

Are you sure it's a quote for a repair and not a replace?