Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2005 Facelift

Comments

• maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    The Accord trouces the Camry in frontal and side crash results?

I don't know. I checked out www.iihs.org's site and both cars are best picks.
  • eddieeeddiee Posts: 25
    The difference in side crash results is whether side and side curtain airbags are used (GY package).
    Both the Accord and Camry have poor side ratings without side and side curtain airbags but both have good (highest rating) with the side and side curtain airbags.
    Because of the incentives we were getting a 2004 SE at invoice (minus the $1250) but backed out after reading the side crash ratings. The dealer only had XLE's with the side and side curtain bags.
    We ended up ordering a 2005 SE with the GY package at Invoice.
    The dealer is Autofair in Manchester NH.
    They had the best deals when I was getting a 2002 Highlander.
  • dolphindolphin Posts: 71
    Trying to decide between an XLE 4 or XLE-V6...would love to hear people's views. Just rented a Camry 4, and while it did get to where you needed to be, I felt the V6 i test drove was incredibly smooth with power right THERE!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Get the V6. Id recommend the SE V6, which is more powerful and the best looking Camry, though you might want to pay attention to the tire choice (the 17 inch tires are low profile performance treads that wear quickly. go for the 16s if that type of use isnt in your budget).

~alpha
  • 99tcamry99tcamry Posts: 15
    I saw the 2005 Camry today. I really liked the new front to it. I even liked the new tail lights. I thought that it broke up the "big look" of the back. The steering colomn looked new and I think that adding that middle headrest in the back was a great move.
  • bklynguybklynguy Posts: 275
    I noticed on the Toyota website that 15" tires are standard for the LE V6. Can you upgrade to 16" tires ? Are fog lights available for the LE V6 ?
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Is the 5-speed auto transmission in the 2005 I4 Camry the same as they are using in the ES330? I have heard of numerous shifting complaints in the ES300 and ES330. Any opinions?
    ...is that you should drive it for yourself. I can tell you that the Camry V6 shares the transmission from the ES series, though Im not sure if its the same transmission in the 4s. Sorry I couldnt help you out more. I thought the transmission peformed very well, kicking down quickly, during my brief test drive.

~alpha
  • bklynguybklynguy Posts: 275
    if the V6/5-Speed combo still has a problem, maybe Toyota solved it with new programming since there doesn't seem to be a problem with the I4 ?
    Only problem with the SE is you can't get the auto climate control, and I am not sure if you can get the steering wheel audio controls. If they gave you the chance to put all the bells and whistles on, the SE would definetly be the way to go.

I was not sure about the 4 vs 6 since the car I rented did not have the 5 speed auto in it...
    2005s have steering wheel audio controls, including the Standard grade. Auto climate control is far from a deal breaker, if you ask me, but I agree- its the only feature/content issue that the SE faces.

~alpha
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    If I were to get one I would probably lean towards an XLE or SE with few options partly because the the LE is so generic, they are almost a commodity like pork bellies. Hertz buys Camry LEs by the trainload.
    XLEs and SEs are hardly "rare," but at least you won't see a dozen exactly the same in the same row of the parking lot.
    is starting to buy the Standard edition, fwiw, but I agree on your point regarding the SE and XLE. The XLE has a good deal of the market share in NJ, though, be it 4 or V6, I feel that a lot more Camrys this generation are XLEs.

~alpha
  • My problem with the SE is that the sunroof is mandatory and I don't have enough headroom. I want the more powerful 3.3L engine but it is only available in the SE. It seems that nobody makes the perfect car. I might be forced to consider the Accord LX V-6 (I don't fit in the EX due to lack of headroom from the mandatory moonroof) even though it has ugly exterior styling.
    I don't understand why Toyota continues to build the old 3.0L when they put the newer and much torquier 3.3 in so many other vehicles: Sienna, Highlander, Camry SE, ES330, RX330. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to kill the 3.0, especially if it's built on a different assembly line?
  • cam2003cam2003 Posts: 131
    Just a quick look through brochure for 2005 models, there is no XLE I4 is offered in Canada. I guess they could not sell many XLEs ...
    Not sure that I like the new gauges, too generic.
    The old design was quite different from anyone else: temperature gauge inside tach, gas gauge inside speedometer.
    There is an A+ for new grill, it removes round feeling of the hood
    The 3.3 is available in the XLE. I am 6'1" and had enough head room with the sunroof...
    well then the sales guy here in Brandon FL doesn't know anything about these vehicles....not a small leap there! cannot get a brochure here yet, and the online one did not mention the audio controls on the SE.
  • The 3.3 is available with the XLE? I hope you are correct, but toyota's website and my dealer say no. Will it be a late availability?
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    The 3.3 is on the SE only as shown on the Toyota web site and you can see by going to any Toyota dealership in the US.
    Well, the sales guy opened the hood and there it was...3.3
This discussion has been closed.