Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2005 Facelift

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The taillamps on the 2005 USA Camry do not necessarily have to be the same taillamps from anywhere else around the world. From what I've read, they are not like the Sing, Taiwanese, or Vietnamese current Camry taillamps. Dont forget, the USA is where Toyota sells the most Camrys.

More news.
    The end of the 3.0L V6 has been announced at TMMK. Not sure yet as to whether this means sooner or later, but if the 3.0L V6 is offered for 2005, it will be offered along with the 3.3L V6 for the LE and XLE V6s. The SE V6 will likely continue with only the 3.3L used. A 3.5L engine has been announced for use in the 2006 Camry and Avalon. (2006 Avalon due in Spring of 2005, FWIW).

One of the major changes for the 2005 Camry (and short run 2005 Avalon) is that the 5 speed automatic will be standard across the board. No word yet as to upgrades to transmission software further than what has already occured.

The Camry will also have several new colors, one of which is similar to the lightish (bizarre, IMO)blue that was offered on Gen 4 Camrys. I think it was called Constellation Blue, but that may be a different one (I'm trying here...)

To recap, VSC is also expected to be offered on all models, 17 inch wheels will be available at least on the SE V6s, if not others, and the interior is slightly upgraded, with a covered bin where the open area now exists on the lower dash.

~alpha
  • cam2003cam2003 Posts: 131
    Would they replace all 15" wheels to 16" for LE ? I found 15" wheel is too small for Camry compared its body and weight. I have upgraded to 17" on my car
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    I think the color you are thinking of (light blue on 2000-2001 Camry) is Constellation Blue. ;-)
  • sev6sev6 Posts: 26
    Hi I'm new. Are there going to be any updates to the 05 Es 330?
  • boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    I heard that the ES will probably change in 2007. On the other hand, they may change somethings, like power aerials (if they havent already) to the diversity ones. Just small things like that
    I was thinking if it would get a facelift like the camry. I don't like the 330's headlights. Thanks for your help though.
    I was thinking if it would get a facelift like the camry. I don't like its headlights. Thanks for your help though.
    The ES330 will also have a 'freshening' for 2005, but its not going to be dramatic, so if you dont like the 2004 headlights, dont expect to be wow-ed by the 2005s.

The Camry upgrades, preliminary, in terms of features and mechanicals/performance, look fairly significant. No confirmed photos yet though.

~alpha
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,436
    Hoping for standard ABS.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    That would be a mixed blessing. The 5-speeds on the Lexus ES330 and earlier 300 were plagued with problems and drove many owners wild. Toyota's 4-speed has been nearly flawless.
    "The 5-speeds on the Lexus ES330 and earlier 300 were plagued with problems and drove many owners wild."

From what Ive read, the issues with the ES300 transmission were more pervasive than the ES330. Also, theres no saying that the unit for the 4 would be tuned the same. When I drove the ES330 in March, I did notice a slightly artificial throttle feeling... but it wasnt anything that would make me write the car off. Indeed, the kickdown from 5th at 40 MPH when accelerator was nailed wasnt the quickest, but it also wasnt the slowest, and overall the passing experience was positive.

~alpha
  • andy71andy71 Posts: 96
    I know what you are talking about. I guess this drive by wire throttle system isn't all its cracked up to be. Personally, I liked the old cable linked throttle just fine. What exactly is the advantage of drive by wire anyway?
  • slov98slov98 Posts: 112
    found this info
    DRIVE-BY-WIRE
    The idea is to remove the mechanical linkages between the controls of a car and the devices that actually do the work. Instead of operating the steering and brakes directly, the controls would send commands to a central computer, which would instruct the car what to do. The great advantage being put forward for this is that the computer is able to make the steering, suspension and brakes work together to give the carbetter handling, especially in bad road conditions, to give better fuel consumption, and to react to emergencies faster than a human driver could. Though the vehicle would look much the same, it would be transformed into what one industry expert calls “a computer network with a car wrapped round it”.
  • bklynguybklynguy Posts: 275
    Here is the most comprehensive list of new features & changes for the 2005 Camry based on info from someone who works at TMMK (alpha already mentioned some of these changes above):

- 5 speed auto for 4 cylinder models
    - VSC available for 4 cylinder models
    - larger, 17 inch alloys wheels and tires on at least SE V6 which resemble a machine-finish version of the Solaras 17 inch wheel (which has a shiny finish)
    - covered center console bin (as compared to open on current)
    - Optitron instrumentation on all models
    - new light clusters within current design style of headlights
    - new grille and front bumper
    - new light clusters within current design style of taillights
    - 3.3L V6 available on Camry LE and Camry XLE (as compared to just SE currently)
    - new steering wheel design with audio controls
    - rear seat gets center headrest
    - cassette player removed (optional?)
    - HVAC/audio controls look different
    - new exterior colors (2 or 3)
    - Tire Pressure Warning System
    - slightly different luggage lid
    - XM Radio ??? (available now on the Camry Solara)
    - no HID headlights (expected on the 07 Camry)

Production of the 05 Camry begins July 6,2004 (according to someone else)
    On siennaclub.org someone said that ABS will be standard for all new 2005 Camrys. I seen some people here at camryman. I'm there as Atoyot.
  • pzevpzev Posts: 807
    Any word on 4-wheel discs being standard? It's a shame they go through all that trouble to upgrade the car but keep the same cheapo drums on the 4-cyl models.
    looks like some nice changes,only thing I'll be jealous of is the 3.3L engine and covered center console doesn't sound bad either..perhaps we will be able to buy it now
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Or, you could wait until the '07 model to see the major redesign.
    Any talk of a diesel or hybrid model - Accord has one due this fall. Fuel prices keep on rising.
    but expect one shortly thereafter.

~alpha
    I don't think it's an exaggeration that many owners of the Lexus ES330 and 300 are very upset with the 5-speed transmission in that vehicle. Check the Lexus ES300/330 site. An entire topic is devoted to (real or imagined) transmission problems with that car.
    I already have 5 speed AT on my camry, I have no complaints
  • carman123carman123 Posts: 71
    Anyone know how much of a horsepower and torque increase the 4-cyl might get?
  • andy71andy71 Posts: 96
    Around 162 Hp and 165 ft-lb of torque. But the 5 speed auto would make it feel much quicker. Expect 0-60 time in the mid to high 8 seconds. Sould be enough for somebody who wants a fuel efficient but dependable transportation from Point A to B.
    That should put the manual tranny squarely under 8 seconds. Not too bad!
    Good to hear you have no problems with your 5-speed. It's not slow to downshift at about 40, etc? No lag, no shudder? Great.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I know several people with an ES, including one in the family. No transmission problems.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    The problem usually has to be induced by a certain agressive driving style. Many people do not drive in a way that they would notice the transmission downshift lag even though it may exist.
  • boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    There some info here about the facelifted ES coming June at :

http://editorial.carsales.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/A7D063A- 774581D2BCA256E99002E567E

The sites Australian so the ES300 = ES330 in US
This discussion has been closed.