Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2005 Facelift

Comments

• sodbustersodbuster Posts: 1
    I hope they design the new Camry SE V6 engines to run on "regular" unleaded fuel, not Premium. (like the Accord V6)

I am very tempted to buy the 04 or 05 SE V6, but with gas prices soaring I just can't decide. Dealer has quoted me an Internet price of $21,588, plus tax and license.

Do you think it's worth waiting for the 05 model? Any websites I can go to that have pictures of the new 2005 Camry? (above links didn't work.)

Thank you.
  • bklynguybklynguy Posts: 275
    no pictures of the 05 Camry (US/Canadian version) available yet. There are some pictures of the Asian version (only the taillights come close to what we're getting minus the lights in the trunk lid)

http://www.u-car.com.tw/model-images/NC-a75b1345-1897L.jpg

We plan to wait for the 05, new features like Optitron instrumentation, covered center bin, audio controls in the steering wheel, better looking taillights (we can wait 2 more months for that)
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The 3.3L does not REQUIRE Premium. It is in the manual that premium is recommended for best performance and economy, and I believe this is stated for the Accord as well.

~alpha
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    That is not stated for the Accord as well.
    Regular unleaded is recommended for the Accord, but you can also use premium.
  • cclpcclp Posts: 4
    I have decided to buy the Camry SE V6, but I am not sure whether to go for 04 model with its 1.9% APR/48 months financing, or wait for the better 05 model to arrive in Fall (August?). I like that the 05 model will have revised wheels, tires, instrument panel, front and rear styling (head and tail lights), and hopefully also some improvements on the transmission, 2nd to 3rd gear shift, the rattling noise and build quality. But the price will probably be higher and I'll probably end up paying ~6% APR. Does Toyota offer better financing on models for the following year? I would appreciate any different points of view that would help me decide. Thanks.

BTW, the discussions in these forums have been very helpful in deciding our next car.
    Thats great, my friend! Im really happy to hear that youve gained useful knowledge here. Please stick around and keep us posted with regards to your purchasing and satisfaction. In answer to your question about interest rates on following year models, I dont think that Toyota offers anything better than a comparable current year model, unfortunately.

However, heres something worth considering: Toyota is running a special $1000 Recent Grad Rebate from now until Aug 31st. If its available on the 2005 Camry, and it just might be, you may be able to save quite a few dollars.

IMO, if you want the latest and greatest, it seems as though the 2005 will offer a fairly significant upgrade from the 2004, especially in so far as Toyota mid-cycle refreshes are concerned. However, if money is a real issue, and your budget is constrained, it would be VERY worth it to cash in on the current rebates/financing in your area.

~alpha
  • cclpcclp Posts: 4
    I really wanted to get your informed feeback on it, alpha01! And now I have decided to wait for the 05 SE V6. I'd rather have a better car, even if it'll cost slightly more. I will provide an update when I revisit this decision again in Fall. Appreciate the input, alpha01!
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    Alpha;

Are you positive that the 3.3L engine will be available for the LE and XLE? My dealer told me they haven't heard any such things. Knowing Toyota, I wouldn't be surprised if they back out at the last moment. I just visited Toyota's website. Their nomenclature is kind of confusing. Apparently for 4 cylinder Camrys, STANDARD/LE/LIMITED EDITION all refers to the same car. Whereas for V6 there are no STANDARD or LIMITED EDITION MODEL.
    The 3.3L option in the LE/XLE is not confirmed, and if I presented it as such, I apologize. Some of the ambiguity comes from the fact that the 3.0L is being "phased out", but nobody seems to be sure of the timing or what this entails.

Im not sure what you mean that the Standard/LE/Limited edition are the same car. They're trim lines. The SE and XLE are the same basic car as well- a Camry.

The current Camry line-up includes:

Standard 2.4L 5M and 4A
    LE 2.4L 5M and 4A
    SE 2.4L 5M and 4A
    XLE 2.4L 4A
    LE V6 3.0L 5A
    SE V6 3.3L 5A
    XLE V6 3.0L 5A.

Hope that helps. For 2005, the four cylinders will be going to a 5 speed auto, for what its worth, but the above is what is available right now.

~alpha
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,902
    Yes, thanks again, alpha01 for providing ever-so-helpful info!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I forgot one

It should go:

Standard 2.4L 5M and 4A
    LE 2.4L 5M and 4A
    Limited 2.4L 5M and 4A
    etc...

Thanks for the nice words, folks. This is a great Exchg. place for information.

~alpha
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    I am considering a new 2004 Camry I4 automatic or waiting until the 2005 Camry I4 comes out? Are there disadvantages with the upcoming 5-speed auto trans? Would you wait until model year 2005 or get the 4-speed trans in the 2004?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    Any word about the ABS being standard for '05?
  • toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    Minor correction, there is no 5-spd Limited.

Yes, ABS is definitely standard on all '05 Camrys.
    Very Nice!
    How do you know that info?

~alpha
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    Someone mentioned earlier that the 05 Camry is getting the Solara interior, is that true? The current dashboard sort of looks like a minivan.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    No, but it was said it will look "more like" the Solara than the current interior does. It will not be an actual Solara interior, just some parts will have a similar look but not the entire interior design.
    We will have to wait and see what actually happens.
  • What Toyota does for the Camry you can check back and reference is that after the third year of the Camry the fourth year model will be changed mildly..For example the the 92-96. The 1995 model got a more grille update while the some of portion of the rear were change. The 1997-2001 model got some freshing for the 2000 model year.. SO with this current Camry the 2005 will be mildly changed until the all new 2007 Camry arrives.
    For what its worth, the TMMK folks have stated with a good degree of unanimity that the upgrades to the 2005 Camry will be more significant than any of the mid cycle upgrades of the previous generations. Along with the front and rear re-stlying which you mention, noteworthy changes include Lexus-style electroluminescent gauge cluster, a few extra hp and foot pounds for the 2.4L, the addition of a 5 speed automatic for the 2.4L cars, greater availability of side airbags, mildly revised lowered dash with covered console bin, rear head restraint for the rear passenger, larger wheel and tire options, available VSC on all automatic transmission models (not just the V6s) Thats just a partial list.

So, as you can see, the Camry for 2005, while not being majorly redesigned, is going to be impressively improved.

~alpha
    I work at a Toyota dealership.

It appears that to get VSC on an LE, you will have to get the side airbags also. VSC will not be available on the Standard grade Camry.
    My apologies- I should have clarified on which 4s the VSC would be offered. I think it makes sense that the VSC be coupled with Side Curtains. Hopefully the pkg wont be more expensive than it currently is on the V6s (about $1150 MSRP, if memory serves me correctly).

Since you work at a dealership, please dont mind if I ask a few questions. Is ABS going to be standard on LE and SE 4s? And who is buying the "Standard" Camry? What is Toyota's purpose with this strangely positioned model? Value leader? Rental sales? I have a few theories on how I feel this vehicle may help bring the Camry's still-decent resale value back up to its more historically high levels. Both the Accord and Altima now post better resale %s than comparable Camrys, though otherwise the Camry ranks ahead of the class.

thanks!
    ~alpha
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    What is this model exactly? And what is the Limited model? Is the Standard model designed for fleets? Or is it more like the previous generation's Camry CE? And will the Limited be positioned above the XLE, or in between the LE and XLE?
    is available on Toyota's website.

The Limited has been around since the intro of the 2004s and is an LE with special options and trim, not the least of which includes a jazzy grille, very nice machine finished 16 inch alloys, and the JBL 6 disc upgrade. Mechanically, it is identical to the LE 4 cylinder automatic (and is offered only with an auto). The Limited is not available as a V6. Options include moonroof, ABS, Side Airbags/Curtains.

~alpha
  • lok888lok888 BostonPosts: 1,778
    Any word on color? I am not a big fan of two-tone paint. But it looks like on the previous generation Camry. I think it was '00 or '01 model. Did they call it the Collector Edition with two-tone paint and nice alloy wheels?
    All 2005 Camrys will have ABS. Colors are mostly the same except adding a new green and there will be two blues.

I don't know what the deal is on the Standard other than they just kind of appeared with no real explanation from Toyota. I guess they just wanted to try a value priced model. The only thing you lose is keyless entry and the fullsize spare. Other than that, its identical to an LE. I think there are some other minor differences on the '05s. I can tell you that although the sticker is $1000 less than an LE, our cost is not!
    Thank you for the information.

~alpha
  • bklynguybklynguy Posts: 275
    Do you know if XM Radio will be available with the 05 ?
    Good move with the standard ABS! That puts Camry back on my list.
    I read something about this, but now I can't find it. If I remember right, the JBL systems will be XM ready, like the current Solara. The actual XM radio would be dealer added.
This discussion has been closed.