Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2005 Facelift

Comments

• Hey, thanks for responding. I live here in Iowa and most of my driving will be highway as well but I don't work, I'm disabled. But my doctor's are in Des Moines which is 2 hours away. I just want to feel safe knowing I can pass a car or semi-truck with confidence since we have a lot of one lane roads. I almost got a Rav4 for that reason because I'm scared of those big trucks. But I don't have a lot of money to throw around. With gas being so expensive do you really think a V6 would put that much of a dent in my pocket book?
    ~kissamer1969
  • That's cool that you got your wife a newer car. But that is another fear I have, being able to get up a hill ok without dragging my butt behind. Not like there is a lot of hills here in Iowa but you never know if you travel somewhere. Thanks for your input.
    ~kissamer1969
  • smitty3smitty3 Posts: 1
    Been waiting to get my hands on an SE4/M ....3 and halfs months so far.... could be another two till I see it....First answer "No Prob 6-8 weeks" Second answer was "Opps got to wait for the 05'" Third "We got the special order in...could be another 30-60 days"

They are telling me that they are only make that style/tranny in Japan? Any truth to that?
  • Hey, I noticed you said something to the fact that the new 2005 Camry's 4-cylinders will be more responsive and I think a little faster on acceleration time. So if I go with a new 2005, will I be able to pass a truck ok or go up hill with not slowing down dramatically?? I mean I would love to get the better gas mileage if I can get away with it. When you get a chance, can you please let me know what you think, thanks.
    ~kissamer1969
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Without disrespect to your question, kissamer1969, I feel its necessary to state that for my post or any that you read here- you're reading the opinions of others. Of course, you can learn of a vehicles a 0-60 time, which is a fact, but outside of that, the acceleration YOU need to feel comfortable passing trucks and what not may be different from that which I need. I can tell you that our 2002 Camry 4 cylinder is plenty strong in nearly all circumstances. For the 2005, which has an extra gear, acceleration should be improved even.

My recommendation to you is to drive, back to back, a 2005 4 cylinder, then drive a 2005 V6 over the same route. Nail the accelerator from a stop, cruise at 30 MPH and nail the accelerator to 55, and and then do the same, if you can, from 50 to at least 70. Observe, and make your decision factoring in things like if you carry loads what that would do.

good luck!
    ~alpha
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,444
    A 4-cyl Camry is certainly faster than a RAV 4.
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    If you drive the I4 and V6 back to back it will be very difficult to forgo the V6, trust me. If paying a bit more at the gas pump isn't a big deal for you and you can spend the extra 2 to 3 grand, get the V6. While the 4 cylinder is certainly no slouch, it can't hold a candle against the V6. The gap between 160 hp and 225 hp is a lot. The extra power of the V6 does come in handy in passing and merging situation.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,444
    If the extra power of the V-6 over the I-4 makes a difference in safety for passing and merging, then you should not be passing or merging in those situations. The 4-cyl has plenty of power to be safe. It wasn't that long ago that the fastest V-8 Mustang was slower than todays 4-cylinder Camry.

Now if you WANT the V-6 because you like the feel of the acceleration that is another matter.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Someone always posts that where they live they need 200+ HP because the on ramps are short and the need to be able to quickly pass 18 wheelers on steep inclines, 4-cylinder engines endanger their family's lives etc..
    "If you drive the I4 and V6 back to back it will be very difficult to forgo the V6, trust me."

I disagree. The 3.0L V6 feels stronger, but this is not like the last generation Camry- the 4 has authority to it, sounds very refined, and offers good response. For me, no doubt the difference is noticeable, but hardly night and day. My parents went with the 4 because they couldnt really justify the V6 for their moderate, relaxed driving styles against the extra 2 grand in cost plus the added fuel (plus the recommendation, but not requirement, of premium for best performance). The car's power has never left them, (or me, though I drive the Camry far less) lacking for power, or in a perilous spot, which is why I said what I did in the above post. The LE and XLE still come with the 210 hp V6, which IMO, does NOT feel as strong as the SE V6's 225hp 3.3L, due to 20 fewer foot pounds of torque coming 800 RPMs higher on the tach.

~alpha
  • lok888lok888 BostonPosts: 1,771
    I believe it is simple a comment on her Camry SE (4 cycle) and not a complaint when going uphill. It runs much better than our last car (10 year old Accord with 125 hp). She first thought SE V6 will be powerful for her to handle. I occasionally drive the car and I don't see any problem when going uphill and on ramps except the light steering at highway speed. Many said this is normal due to the outdated technology. Overall, she really loves it. You need to drive both to compare.
  • I have a silver (even though I think white looks better) 2003 Camry SE V6. I love the integrated controls on the steering wheel of the 2005. I am those who like to play around with the radio buttons alot while driving and find that they're quite a bit of a reach in my car. I miss the silver gauges that distinguished the SE from other Camry models. Also, I don't see the use of a cover for the storage bin under the climate controls except to hide your valuables when you have parked your car.

The 2005's exterior looks meaner from the front and sportier. However, I like how the 2002-2004 Toyota badge sticks half way out of the grille at the top instead of being in the center of the grille. I also like the shape of the 02-04 fog lamps better than the new ones because it goes well with the curved headlight cover. The new one looks like a rectangle. I don't really like the tailights of the 05 especially with its white lens at the top and bottom and two circles in the red lens.

And have I mentioned how much I love those buttons on the new steering wheel?
  • Hey, like I said before, I am new here and just bare with me. In what you said in your post, yes, you are right, I do need to feel comfortable in passing trucks and may be different from what YOU need. No hard feelings. I wish I could just go to a dealership and test these cars out but in my circumstances I am trapped. My soon to be ex-husband will not let me drive or even have a license (going on 14 years), so you can call me an unexperienced driver if you want. Anyway, that is a problem in itself. In what I have been reading in other posts in opioions is that a 4-cynlinder, 2005 would most likely be just fine unless I want to play a little with the car. Thanks again for your response.
    ~kissamer1969
  • I am so glad I didn't get a Rav4!! Thanks for your input and opinion. Your right, as I am an experienced driver due to my own circumstances, I will just have to wait until I can get to a dealership and test both the 4 and 6. Thanks for responding.
    ~kissamer1969
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    How can you drive a car much less buy a car without a license?
  • I know that Central Florida has had some LE Camrys with 5 speed manual. You might search 32801 zip code. I took one for a test drive a few weeks ago and it drove great but decided on an automatic as a more trip orientated car. First Time Toyota Owner

Shawn
  • bernie3bernie3 Posts: 48
    I have been researching a purchase of a new Camry and just found out the 2005 models have been in showrooms since 7/1/04. Apparently there are some nice upgrades for only $100 more. All the sites seem to give info & photos for the 2004s only. Are 2005s in showrooms, and are details and price quotes available on the web? Is the $1,000 rebate available on the '05 LE model? I live in rural Northern CAL, with only one dealer within 150 miles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    They are not just $100 more or no one would buy any remaining 2004 models. They probably will not take much off the MSRP until the 2004 models are gone.
    The rebates on the 2004s also do not apply to the 2005 models.
    It will not cost just $100 more to buy a 2005 model as a 2004 model or the 2004 models would just sit unsold forever.
    Despite what you may have read in Toyota's Press Release (which I was thoroughly unimpressed with), the 2005 Camrys began mass production on July 1st, but were not at dealerships.

At MSRP, you are correct, most of the 2005 Camry models are about $100 more than the comparable 2004, but with significant upgrades. But as 307web stated, rebates will not be available on the 2005 Camrys for at least some time. It remains to be seen how close to invoice the 2005s will be selling in their initial allocations, but there will definitely not be rebates, my guess is at least not until around October/November at the earliest.

A Camry is still a Camry.... if you want an 2005 and live in even a reasonably populated area, Im sure you can find a dealer that will work with you to get you in one. You could always "threaten Accord", since that vehicle already has most of the Camry's upgrades for this year (Optitron, 5 speed auto for the 4 cylinder, etc.). An Accord EX 4 cylinder 5A with side curtain airbags option stickers at $23,300, but can be had in my area for about $20,400.

~alpha
    But the Accord is still a 2004 model, so you need to compare apples to apples. You may be able to get a 2004 Camry for even less, but you may have a hard time finding side curtain airbags on a Camry that's not loaded with a lot of stuff you don't want or isn't an XLEV6 stickering around $30K.
    On the other hand for 2005, side curtain airbags are supposed to be standard on all the Accords, so you won't even need to upgrade to an EX to get them, so dealers won't be able to hold prices up on the 2005 Camry for very long after most of the 2004s are gone, but today they don't have much reason to discount much on a 2005. Then fall of 2005, the 2006 Accord gets freshened and slightly restyled.
  • bernie3bernie3 Posts: 48
    My best internet quote on a 2004 LE automatic with no added options is $16,888 + tax & license (this includes the $1,000 rebate). This is from a S.F. bay area dealer. Dealer invoice + destination fee on the 2005 is $18,003 per Consumer Reports price report. With no rebate likely on the '05 until... (next spring?), I guess my choice is, buy the '04 now, or spend $1115 to $1500(?) more in a couple months after the 05's are in the showrooms. A hard choice... I suppose a lot of the price difference will be absorbed when the '04's are suddenly a year old in the market's view.
    I checked the trade-in value of a 2000 and 2001 Camry LE 4 cylinder automatic with no options and 48,000 miles in "good" condition in zip 90210 and the values were about $8500 and $9100. So, you probably might get about $600 in extra trade-in value 3 or 4 years down the road if you get a 2005 today, but you should be able to get a 2004 for much less than just $600 difference of a 2005. I doubt you will find a 2005 for invoice today or until the 2004s are about all sold out.
    You could probably get a 2004 today for closer to $3K less than a similar 2005.
    "But the Accord is still a 2004 model, so you need to compare apples to apples."

Why not compare apples to apples being whats going to be on the market in the immediate future (in the next month or so)? What if you dont want to wait until the 2005 Accord is out in Oct/Nov? That leaves leftover 2004 Camrys, the 2005 Camrys, and the 2004 Accords.

FWIW re: side curtains- all of the 2004 XLEs in my area (Greater NY), 4 or V6, are typically equipped with this option.

~alpha
    "I checked the trade-in value of a 2000 and 2001 Camry LE 4 cylinder automatic with no options and 48,000 miles in "good" condition in zip 90210 and the values were about $8500 and $9100."

That analysis is skewed because it assumes a lower per model year mileage rate for the 2000, and a higher mileage rate per year for the 2001, which in turn will result in a lower figure for the 2001. If you're doing 48,000 miles for the 2000, you should do 36,000 miles for the 2001, because resale value figures do NOT factor in the "in-service" date, but rather MODEL YEAR.

~alpha
    That makes no sense. If you were buying them at the same time and were debating on whether to buy a 2005 or a 2004 that same day, you would have the same mileage if you drove each car for 4 years from date of purchase. You wouldn't drive the 2005 for only 36,000 miles over 4 years, but drive the 2004 for 48,000 miles.
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/toyota/camry/13766/options.html?- tmvaction=vdpresult&tid=edmunds.u.options.utmv.vdpoption.1.To- yota*
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/toyota/camry/100001837/options.h- tml?tmvaction=vdpresult&tid=edmunds.u.options.utmv.vdpoption.- 1.Toyota*

The above links are for a 2000 Camry with 36,000 miles and a 2001 Camry with 48000 mile. Notice that even with the higher mileage, the 2001 Camry costs more. Obviously factors such as what conditions are cars are in prior to selling is a huge factor. The longer you keep the cars, the less the price difference between two successive model years.
    My point is that when doing an exercise like that you should try and hold as many variables constant as possible. Since resale values are pegged to model years and not in-service dates, and mileage is not truly pegged to either, I'd hold the miles per model year constant if you are looking to determine the price difference between two model years of similarly equipped Camrys. The younger model year car essentially represents the older model year car at an earlier point in time, and as such, you have a comparasion of the resale value of a standardized Camry at a given point in time.

~alpha
    That is not the comparison I was making.
    I was was trying to determine if they bought a 2005 or a 2004 on the same date and sold either after the same period of time how much extra they would get simply because it was a 2005 model. Being a 2005 adds to the value, but part of that is subtracted because it would have higher-than expected mileage because it was actually purchased and driven starting in summer of 2004. It would be still be worth more even subtracting the mileage but not so much more to wipe out the discounts and rebates available on the 2004s that you can't get on a 2005.
    In that scenario there is no reason for them to have different mileage at trade-in time.
    In that case it doesn't make any sense to say the 2005 would have less mileage.
  • carguy000carguy000 Posts: 55
    I was just browsing Toyota.com, and I saw the 2005 Camry. Overall, I'm impressed, and it seems that folks like my parents may have more reasons to not opt for an Avalon (at least until they see what the new ones look like). They currently have a 2000 Avalon XLS, and have had 98,000 trouble-free miles.

One thing concerns me, and that is that seatbelt pretensioners have been left off the "safety" specs on the 2005 Camry webpage. Do you think this was done by accident in the updating of the site? Surely Toyota didn't remove them.

It seems that seatbelt pretensioners have been related to an increase in Toyota's crash test ratings. I'm thinking of the 1997 Camry (that didn't include pretensioners) and the 1998 Camry (that did, and also did one "star" better on the front passenger NHTSA crash test).

What do you all think? Thanks.
    I see your point. Thanks for clarifying. In my head, I thought you were making a different comparison.

~alpha
This discussion has been closed.