Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2005 Facelift

Comments

• 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Oh, so they are not quite the same as in a Lexus. They do not have that 3-D "floating in the air" look?
  • toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    No, not quite, but they still look pretty good. Also, they light up sequentially, needles first, then speedo and tach, then temp and fuel gauges.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    Actually, the only Lexus that had the floating effect due to markings being projected onto the dashboard was the 1990-1992 LS400. All Lexus since then have merely been lighted from behind with either LED lights or neon tubes for needles. So the Toyota Camry's 2005 dash is basically the same as on Lexus, except in design.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    Wasn't the 2003 Matrix the first Toyota (non-Lexus) vehicle to be equipped with optitron gauges?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,444
    Are the Matrix gauges optitron? I have read a lot of complaints about them. People can't see them with polorized sunglasses. Can't remember if it was the major gauges, just some of the minor displays, or all of them.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    We have a Matrix (purchased April 2002). It includes all of the gauges. I haven't had a problem with them because I don't wear sunglasses. The problem stems (based on the info I have read) from the colour. It's bright red. I can see where some may have some difficulty with it during the day. Looks great at night. I don't think the Camry will encounter the same issues with their optitron gauges. Debating whether we should trade our 2002 XLE for a 2005.
    I doubt the LE would have problems with white on black, but the SE has a similar color to the Matrix. Of course if you don't wear sunglasses it is not an issue, and I don't. Besides I prefer the LE gauges anyway.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    Aren't Optitron gauges the same thing as "Electroluminescent" gauges?
  • bklynguybklynguy Posts: 275
    "optitron" is the name Toyota uses for electroluminescent gauges (back-lit LED gauges which seem to appear when you start the vehicle), up to now used mostly on upscale/luxury vehicles like Lexus, Mercedes but that changed when LED gauges were introduced with the 2003 Accord. A really nice improvement which makes the Camry's interior more upscale IMO (you almost feel like you're driving a ES or maybe you are ;)

has anyone taken a test-drive with the new 5-Speed 2.4L ? Toycash ?
    How is it ?
  • xxonxxon Posts: 13
    Went shopping today for the 2005 Camry LE 4cyl. Here are the upgrades I noticed: Different headlights (Lexus type?). ABS standard. Center console. Front & rear light. Side & Side curtain airbags are now optional (without moonroof). The biggest change was the gas mileage is now rated 24 city/34 hwy. Was this change made possible by the additional of the 5 spd. transmission? The Toyota website still does not list gas mileage for the 4 cyl automatic, but lists the manual 24/33. I wonder why the manual gets worse gas mileage, unless it is a misprint?
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    No, I dont think the manual figures are a misprint, and yes, the improved MPG figures are due to the 5 speed auto. The two transmissions (the 5M and 5A) are geared differently, which accounts for the slight difference in economy for the 4 cyl. 5M vs the 4 5A.

Side airbags and curtains have been offered since 2002, with or without moonroof, so thats not really a change. I have a friend whose parents purchased a 2003 XLE off the lot w/ curtains but no moonroof, for example.

Did you purchase?
    ~alpha
    The EPA tests favor automatics, so a very efficient automatic can best a manual there, but probably won't in real driving. Still - that 34 ties the Accord.
  • xxonxxon Posts: 13
    Thanks for the info. No I didn't buy, but I was impressed. I don't know if it was my imagination or not, but the vehicle looked more sporty than the 2004. Up to this point, I was only considering the Accord or the Passat TDI which are in the same size class, but had better gas mileage (the Passat TDI is in too short supply to make it affordable, however). Now, the Camry is giving them a good run for the money.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    "Actually, the only Lexus that had the floating effect due to markings being projected onto the dashboard was the 1990-1992 LS400."

Didn't the 1993-94 LS400 also have the "floating" gauges like the 1990-92? My grandfather had both a 1990 and a 1993 and I could swear they had the same gauges (but I may be wrong).
    I took a brief spin in a 2005 Camry LE 5A yesterday, lasting about 7 miles.

Impressions:
    -The new instrumentation is very impressive and much better looking than the outgoing presentation.

-The 5A is very responsive and the car felt fairly strong. But, in the ranges in which I tested it (nailed the go pedal from a start, from 30 to 50, and from 45 to 65), it felt about the same as the 2004. I was hoping it would feel a bit stronger. However, it should be noted that the version I drove was very green, with but 11 miles on the odometer, and was also PZEV, while our 2002 is ULEV.

-The black trim that surrounds the center stack is unfortunate and cheap looking, and offsets the upscale and pleasant change to chrome-looking door handles.

~alpha
    is the black trim exclusive to the LE (not the XLE) ? We plan to take a spin in the 05 XLE & LE V6 this week (if time allows).
    Were LE 4 cylinders.

One thing I forgot: I like the new grille of the 2005 Camrys, but the the taillights have yet to grow on me. I still the Lunar Mist Metallic is a terrible color on this car. The new wheel covers are more attractive than the old Standard/LE ones, as well.

~alpha
    yeah Alpha, I'm not crazy about the silver (or white for that matter). I'm not sure about the new color, mineral green. Based on the RX 300 which used to come in that color, it looks silver-gray with a hint of green. Red still appears to be No.1 on our list.
  • mbt1mbt1 Posts: 33
    Why have the Camry's crash test results gotten worse? I'm surprised that a large company like Toyota has not done more safety-wise to its bread and butter car, espcially when the Accord trounces it in both frontal and side crash results.
    I believe in 93 they switched the gauges that got rid of the 3D effect. But I could be wrong. But they did definately get rid of it for 1995 and no other Lexus had that 3D effect.
    The Accord trouces the Camry in frontal and side crash results?

I don't know. I checked out www.iihs.org's site and both cars are best picks.
  • eddieeeddiee Posts: 25
    The difference in side crash results is whether side and side curtain airbags are used (GY package).
    Both the Accord and Camry have poor side ratings without side and side curtain airbags but both have good (highest rating) with the side and side curtain airbags.
    Because of the incentives we were getting a 2004 SE at invoice (minus the $1250) but backed out after reading the side crash ratings. The dealer only had XLE's with the side and side curtain bags.
    We ended up ordering a 2005 SE with the GY package at Invoice.
    The dealer is Autofair in Manchester NH.
    They had the best deals when I was getting a 2002 Highlander.
  • dolphindolphin Posts: 71
    Trying to decide between an XLE 4 or XLE-V6...would love to hear people's views. Just rented a Camry 4, and while it did get to where you needed to be, I felt the V6 i test drove was incredibly smooth with power right THERE!
    Get the V6. Id recommend the SE V6, which is more powerful and the best looking Camry, though you might want to pay attention to the tire choice (the 17 inch tires are low profile performance treads that wear quickly. go for the 16s if that type of use isnt in your budget).

~alpha
  • 99tcamry99tcamry Posts: 15
    I saw the 2005 Camry today. I really liked the new front to it. I even liked the new tail lights. I thought that it broke up the "big look" of the back. The steering colomn looked new and I think that adding that middle headrest in the back was a great move.
    I noticed on the Toyota website that 15" tires are standard for the LE V6. Can you upgrade to 16" tires ? Are fog lights available for the LE V6 ?
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Is the 5-speed auto transmission in the 2005 I4 Camry the same as they are using in the ES330? I have heard of numerous shifting complaints in the ES300 and ES330. Any opinions?
    ...is that you should drive it for yourself. I can tell you that the Camry V6 shares the transmission from the ES series, though Im not sure if its the same transmission in the 4s. Sorry I couldnt help you out more. I thought the transmission peformed very well, kicking down quickly, during my brief test drive.

~alpha
    if the V6/5-Speed combo still has a problem, maybe Toyota solved it with new programming since there doesn't seem to be a problem with the I4 ?
  • dolphindolphin Posts: 71
    Only problem with the SE is you can't get the auto climate control, and I am not sure if you can get the steering wheel audio controls. If they gave you the chance to put all the bells and whistles on, the SE would definetly be the way to go.

I was not sure about the 4 vs 6 since the car I rented did not have the 5 speed auto in it...
This discussion has been closed.