Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2005 Facelift

boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
edited March 22 in Toyota
I've heard some rumours about a 2004 Camry facelift, well in Australia anyway.

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/story_page/0,8269,8471556%255E2- 1822,00.html

look under toyota. Does anyone know what changes might be made and what it might look like?

Comments

• rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    The 2005 Camry with the facelift will arrive in the US in August/September. Sorry, don't know about Australia.
  • boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    maybe toyota australia will finally get something new before other countries. I would think that it would be similar to the US one so please share :)
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Host, can we rename this thread 2005 Camry facelift, so not as to mis-inform people? Along with the face lift, I think its fair to expect some tweaking of the 4 cylinder and some standard/optional equipment revisions. I'd like to see 16 inch wheels standard, as well as ABS, personally.

~alpha
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    Maybe. It does look pretty good though. Classy in a sort of way.
    i reckon it kidna loses its sportiness if it goes for the more classy approach
    well, i think this may well be the next one, seing that the vietnamese one is also styled like that. I remember checking the vietnamese site for the camry that the US/AUS have now and they had the same one. So I guess this is probably the next one or something like it.

http://www.toyotavn.com.vn/concept/product/camry/index.html
    protest that front grille, I hope to God that the 2005 Camry is not fitted with that. I don't know- the taillights may be even worse... the extra lenses/reflectors look like major afterthoughts. We will NOT be in a Toyota showroom when our 2002 Corolla lease expires this October if the Camry is restyled along those lines.

~alpha
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 128
    I am quite like the new grill. Not sure about additional tailights, since the current taillights are quite big already!
    I'd think that the front grille may differ from country to country. If not, Toyota should still offer an alternative grille, i.e. Sports grille
  • lok888lok888 BostonPosts: 1,778
    I think this is a current version of the Camry in many Asian markets. I have an '03 Camry SE. I have no problem with the front grill. Maybe they can put the Toyota logo in the middle of the grill. I think it will look better when the put a red tail light reflector (above the back up lights) to close up the trunk area.

For me, I like the ABS and 16" wheels & tires (with optional alloys), foldable side mirrors all models. I don't know other models. But my SE has no courtesy lights on all doors. It would be nice to have them.
    I dont think its the "Asian" version. I've looked around the Toyota sites from all around the world just to see if maybe i could find a different model. It seems that only Vietnam and Indonesia have this model. A few months ago, I checked those sites and they had the same model of Camry that we have.
  • jdeibjdeib Posts: 70
    I own an '02 SE and have seen the '05 in LE form. I like everything but the taillights. The front looks nice. However I do like the '02-'04 SE fog lights a bit better, they mirror the shape of the headlights. But, I do like the new headlights a bit better than the old style. The gauges are very cool, and the new center console is great, along with the third headrest in the back. They did a nice job with the update, I don't think there is anything that is so drastic that I would want to trade mine.
  • The one thing I would most want in the new Camry is steering wheel radio controls instead of the useless computer nonsense on XLE models now. It would be safer to have the radio controls than to have to take your eyes off the road to change stations or use the volume control. To view the computer nonsense you of course must take your eyes off the road.
    I have an '03 Camry SE. Is there a steering wheel audio control on any Carmy model from '02 to '04? Or on any Toyota vehicle except Lexus? It will be great to get one. My SE also has no courtesy light on doors. What about other models? Plus, they need to some illuminated power door and window switches.
    Steering wheel audio: No. But this may be rectified on the 05 Camry restyling, as all of Toyotas more newly designed wheels incorporate this useful feature (For example, the RAV4, Solara, and Sienna all have steering wheel audio controls available). I'd also expect a telescopic steering wheel will be made available in the 2005 model, for the same reason.

Courtesy lights on doors seem like an American car thing. Its bad enough the Camry now allows you to open the front doors when they are locked. My personal preference is that we not go too far. I could care less about courtesy lighting on doors.

I agree that all the power window and lock buttons should be illuminated- but arent the drivers window switch and central lock button already illuminated.

lok8888- some very good ideas for easy changes. Perhaps Toyota will pay attention to boards like this. Thanks for the post!

~alpha
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 128
    I would like to see the fob could control all windows "down". This feature would be useful during hot summer.
  • I have test driven a toyota xle ,ls galant and a xg350 hyundai. I like all of these vehicles. I am not sure which way to go. Any thoughts or comments towards any of these vehicles?
    Yes. But only for the driver power window switch. I can only see the switch with lime green light (also very dim) on and with AUTO word on it. I have to turn on the map light to see the switches in a dark parking lot. Yes. It is about personal preference. I like the doors will automatically lock on my SE (probably all models) when engage out of the park mode. My '04 Sienna also unlock doors when shift to "Park" automatically, in default mode. This seems less security for some but it can be re-programed. Toyota also needs to pay close attention to the power steering wheel. It is very light at highway speed. The steering wheels are light on my Camry and Sienna.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,902
    The best way to get comments on each of these vehicles is by talking to other owners. Just use the make/model drop-down menus at the left to locate active discussion on each of these cars.

This discussion is more about the future of the Camry than about existing models.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

For what its worth, I think its reasonable to expect that VSC may find its way on to the options sheet for 4 cylinder Camrys next year.

~alpha
    yeah, i heard that the next one might not look like what i first suspected. Since those countries dont have the Avalon to be their more "prestigious" car, theyve made the camry into one.
  • nw1997nw1997 Posts: 227
    From my understanding the Avalon will be redesigned for the 05 year. I was told that it may look close to the LS430. The interior of the Avalon in my opinion looks much more luxurious than in the Camry.
    yeah, but in those certain countries the avalon isnt available so Toyota probably needs a luxury car for those areas, ie Camry
  • i read somewhere that toyota originally wanted to give the camry a name that was evocatively "handsome and attractive", just as the accord reassuringly means "peace and harmony", so toyota decided on a form of the english word "comely", which means, of course, handsome and attractive.
  • I'm pretty sure that the word Camry comes from the pronunciation of the Japanese word for crown, which in English, sounds like kamuri.

It's odd that Toyota sells varieties of the Crown sedan and used to sell the Corona, which is Spanish for crown, as well.
    yeah, it comes from the japanese word Kamuri, meaning "little crown" i think
    Props. Thats some interesting trivia on Toyota nomenclature!

~alpha
  • I think Toyota needs to redesign the interior and make the interior and guage cluster more appealing as currently the the styling is too bland. ABS should be standard on all models and something like the electrically folding in side view mirrors should be made standard just like they are for asian models. 5 speed automatics for 4 cyl and please offer better OE tires for the LE's. Toyota should definitely try and adopt a strategy to lead rather than follow in options and standard equipment list especially for the high volume LE segment. I talking about offering new equipment first rather than playing catch up with the competition(5 SP AT,ABS ETC).

Rgds

Ash
    That said, I dont really think the Camry dash is that bad. True its vanilla in flavor, but its well made, ergonomic. I like the guage cluster and soft bluish night lighting on LE/XLE. With regards to safety equip, while not likely standard, it DOES seem as though Toyota will lead with Vehicle Stability Control in comparison to competitors- its available right now on ALL V6s, and expected for 2005 to be available on 4 cyls. as well. Honda and Nissan (the two biggies) dont even offer it. ABS should be standard- certainly agreed. If you look at the Solaras equipment list, it has several features standard that are options on Camrys, so if Toyota can add those features to smaller volume car, why can't they do it for the Camry? Interestingly, the Solara also has a lower MSRP.

~alpha
This discussion has been closed.