Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New 2005 Altima: Interior and other info

Comments

• They are coming out with a Hybrid for the Altima and their are rumors that a crossover SUV from Nissan will recieve hybrid technology.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Will use a licensed to Nissan version of Toyota's "Hybrid Synergy Drive". Very interesting, no?

6thbeatle- Well said, and I almost wholeheartedly agree. "The Highlander also pales in comparison to it's competition--too old school (in a bad way) in its design layout and styling for the same reasons as the camry." I agree with you on the HL, and disagree on the Camry. The XLE's wood is very authentic looking, and sparingly used. Perhaps you are talking about the dealer installed accessory kit, which I think is terrible, and on that, I would agree with you. Chrome detailing can be found on the door handles of the XLE, and the Camry SE uses a unique interior treatment as well.

People seem to be voicing concern over the Altimas interior/center stack when not equipped with the NAV. From what I have seen, it still looks great, and functional, and materials seem to be high quality. Well done, rising sun.

~alpha
  • ultimaultima Posts: 96
    Guys... Thanks for the info.

I went on the net and found this:

http://www.fleet-central.com/af/newspick.cfm?rank=3572

Car & Driver also confirms this.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    A hybrid vehicle received a tax deduction of $2,000 in 2003. The current incentive is scheduled to phase out in 2004-06. Vehicles purchased in 2004 will be eligible for a deduction of up to $1,500; vehicles purchased in 2005 will be eligible for up to $1,000; vehicles purchased in 2006 will be eligible for up to $500.

This is an above the line deduction, so you qualify whether you itemize or take the standard deduction.

It remains to be seen whether the government will enact bills for a deduction after 2006.
  • But is it going to be released for MY 2006 or will it be released in 2006 as a MY 2007?

I ask this because the Altima is supposed to be redesigned for MY 2007 and it would make the most sense.

As for now, I look forward to getting my 2005 Altima 3.5SE in April.
  • ramped1ramped1 Posts: 159
    Who wants a hybrid midsized sedan? Gas mileage won't be appreciably better than standard combustion engines, performance will be worse, and initial cost and maintenance will be higher. Resale may also be worse. It takes many years of better gas mileage savings to recoup the initial cost of hybrids.

In addition, don't expect the tax breaks to hang around once manufactures start producing millions of hybrid vehicles. Too costly.

Hybrid technology makes sense in vehicles like SUVs, which get horrendous gas mileage. I'd never consider that technology in an Altima, where you can top 30 mpg (highway) with the I-4 engine. Just my opinon, of course.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    If they can get 40 mpg on a V6 Hybrid Altima w/ V8-like performance at a premium of $2000, then I'm all for it. It might be wishful thinking on my part of course.

The RX400h purportedly will get 50% better gas mileage, perform like a V8, and cost about $4000 more, so I see no reason why the above scenario cannot come to fruition some time in the future.
    I respect your opinion, though it seems not to be fact based. Can you provide any documentation pointing to the fact that hybrids in mainstream midsize vehicles are going to be both marginal in added efficiency, while simultaneously distinctly lacking in power, as you indicate?

~alpha
  • ramped1ramped1 Posts: 159
    Documentation?

No, I am not an engineer, nor interested enough in this subject to spend a lot of time researching.

However I have not read in mainstream publications news of any hybrids today, nor projected in the immediate future, that can accomplish the type of performance boost or energy savings that make hybrids a good alternative (in my opinion) to today's extremely efficient internal combustion engines in midsize or compact sedans.

However, like I said before, in extremely heavy gas guzzlers, hybrid technology may make more sense. This is where I agree with GM's Bob Lutz.

But, I don't want to stray off topic. The new Altima looks like a real winner inside and out. It is a real Camcord alternative, now.
  • ultimaultima Posts: 96
    Here's a link (Edmunds) discussing Toyota's Hybrid Highlander for 2005.

Note the horsepower and mileage for this SUV -- take the same engine and drop it into a Camry and it will perform much better.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2005/toyota/highlander/100377715/pr- - eview.html?tid=edmunds.n.mmindex.content.num8.2.toyota*

(:-D
  • You are right, but are you willing to pay $35,000 for a Camry? The current non hybrid 3.3L V6 produces 225 Hp, goes 0 to 60 in about 7 seconds gets about 29 mpg on the highway and 21 in the city for an average of about 25 mpg combined. The hybrid V6 I am guessing probably would get about 32 mpg; combined average of city and highway driving. The price difference between the hybrid Camry and non hybrid Camry would be at least $7000 if Toyota wants to sell it at a profit.

Say you drive 15K a year. A gallon of gas is $1.80. YOu will need about 600 gallons of gas (at 25mpg) for the non hybrid Camry for a year. The price of 600 gallons of gas would come to about $1080.

For the hybrid Camry (averaging 32mpg) you will require about 469 gallons to cover the same 15K miles in one year. Your gas bill would come to about $844 dollars.

Your net saving would be $236 a year. Dividing 7000/236 = 29.67. That means you have to own the hybrid Camry for almost 30 years to recoup extra $7000 you spent.
    "The price difference between the hybrid Camry and non hybrid Camry would be at least $7000 if Toyota wants to sell it at a profit."

Where did you get the $7000 number from? That seems incredibly high? Are the Accord and Altima Hybrids going to cost this much more money? I dont think so. Additionally, economies of scale will dicate (to a certain point), that with every unit of "Hybrid Synergy Drive" technology produced, relative costs will decrease. Toyota also has revenue coming in from simply LICENSING the technology to Carlos Ghosn and Nissan. I would estimate that a Hybrid Camry would cost $3000-$4000 more than a similarly eqipped traditional Camry, at most. If it was going to add $7000 to the price, do you think Toyota/Nissan/Honda would even bother- there'd be no consumers, especially for Toyota, whose customers could walk across the showroom and get a Prius!?!

Have you seen pricing for the Civic Hybrid? Its about 2.5 grand more than for the Civic EX.

~alpha

PS- the Camry 3.3L V6 is rated at 20/29, the Camry 3.0L V6 is rated at 21/29. Also, I liked your analysis of the cost equation, but prices for gas will NOT remain fixed for the duration of vehicle ownership, so it would actually take less than the number of years you calculated to recoup the initial current value expenditure. And what happens if gas prices double?
  • A fully loaded Camry with all the bells and whistles costs about 31 grand. The hybrid version surely will not be any less than this if not more. Accepting your logic that the price difference is somewhere between 3 to 4 grand, then instead of 30 years it will take 15 years to break even.

Don't get me wrong; I am not against hybrid cars by any means. In fact 10 to 15 years down the road when gas prices could well top $2 per gallon, they may be as popular as non hybrid cars. But at least for the next few years, buying a hybrid benefits the environment more than the wallet.
  • "My opinion... I believe in the next 5 years or so, we'll start to see depreciation fall considerably on traditional "gas" engine cars/trucks..."

People predicted many things like that in the past 30 years, but gas engines keep chugging along. Some of them are very clean, rated 'Partial Zero', yet people still have this image of 100% smoke coming out the tail pipes.

The whole hybird issue is for greenies to look at a maker as "great", ignoring their gas hogging SUV's, case in point Toyota. They get awards for the Prius, while they are buiding a plant to make more full sized trucks. And I don't see any hybrid big trucks coming.
    This is getting too far off topic.

BUT: Toyotas next full size truck will offer a hybrid powertrain, check the auto show reports.

~alpha
  • The interior is completely better in every way and the use of chrome and titanium-look trim is excellent.

Also, the 3.5SE now gets 20 mpg in the City and 30 mpg on the HWY
    So can we assume that the 3.5SL will also achieve 20/30? The two do share the same 5 speed automatic, correct?

thanks
    ~alpha
  • What I find strange is that the Altima 3.5L can get 20/30 mpg, yet the smaller, less powerful 2.5L gets 23/29.

Nissan really needs to work on better gas mileage for the I4. That is almost sad.

Also, the rims found on the 3.5SL model over at Nissannews.com will be used on the 2.5S with Conv. pkg and the 2.5SL.

The cloth pattern in the new cars is better than the older model and of higher quality.

Nissan must have really learned there lesson on this car.
    I'd bet the 4 could pull at least 2 to 3 MPG great on the highway loop with less agressive gearing, OR the V6's fifth ratio.

So you're seeing the 2005s on the lots? What about prices? I dont see a news release yet on nissannews.com, but yet there must be stickers on vehicles already shipped, correct?

~alpha
  • The 3.5Se and 3.5Sl share the same 5spd automatic with manual shift capability.
This discussion has been closed.