Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New 2005 Altima: Interior and other info

Comments

• Nissan should have made ABS standard on at least the 3.5SE and 3.5SL.

And on top of that, you can't get the airbags and curtains without the ABS.

Burns me up somewhat.
  • The 2005 Altima is now on the nissan website. You can build one, or search dealer inventory.

http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/ModelHomePage/0,,32958,00.html
  • I sat in a 2005 today and I honestly don't see that big of a difference over the 2004. The plastic still seems kind of cheap and the seat fabric feels about the same. The instrument panel seems to have some red in it (instead of all orange) but it was daytime so I can't be sure.

The biggest disappointment is that they no longer have the arm rest that pops up. I thought this was one of the best features of the Altima's interior.

So I honestly don't know what everyone is seeing new in the 2005's. Maybe my opinion is slanted because I never thought the 2004 interior was that bad. Not as nice as Honda or Toyota, but not bad either.

If it was me, I'd go for a leftover 2004 or 2003 and save thousands while getting that cool arm rest.
  • rampedramped Posts: 358
    Why wouldn't you want ABS with the side bags? In fact, if I had to choose between the two, I'd take ABS.
  • But it is so hard to find cars with the ABS Pkg.

As a matter of fact, according to some parts of Nissanusa.com website, ABS is supposed to be standard on the 3.5Sl and the 3.5SE with automatic transmission. 5spd 3.5SE don't have it standard.

However, Nissanusa.com "Design Your Own" says ABS with SAB/SAC is an option.

I hope just wish I could find a loaded 3.5SE with ABS/SAB/SAC and Leather Sport Pkg. or Leather pkg.

Also, the wood trim looks very nice in person IMO.

I still like the Charcoal interior best though
  • ramped1ramped1 Posts: 159
    You are right, it is next to impossible to find an Altima on the lots with the ABS/air bag package. That is so disappointing. I have no intention of buying a new car that doesn't come equipped with ABS and side airbags. What good is this 2004 technology if it doesn't incorporate safety items like ABS and side bags that have been around for many years?

I understand most people don't worry about accidents when they buy a car, but Nissan could make this stuff standard for just a few hundred bucks. For most of us, most of the time, these safety items are unnecessary. But, you never know when you will need them.
  • the new altimas are about $28,000 but the boneheads at Nissan don't want ABS as standard equipment? I wonder how many other things they skimped on?

I am buying an Acura TL, no need to mess with Nissan's games.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    I could probably swing the TSX though. But I have GOT to have the Altima.
  • car3car3 Posts: 27
    I would never spend that kind of money for an Altima. A Maxima for 28K: that sounds halfway decent.
    You are talking about a loaded SE or SL there. You can get a reasonably well equipped 4 cylinder for a lot less than that, and in the 20K to 22K price range is where the Altima is very competitive.

The TL deals (non-nav) right now are pretty much 30K to 31K at best, although that may come down later in the year. And, of course, you are speaking of two different classes of cars: a entry-luxo compared to a standard midsize. The TL is a terrific car for the money. It blitzes the Maxima.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    personally, i agree that these options should be standard...or at least easier to find.

however...

when dealers research the equipment on the cars they sell in order to compile an order that will sell, they do it in a scientific way...

last time we had an altima with the ABS package, it sat here for 6 months. noone wanted to pay extra for it. this is why manufacturers like special orders. 6-8 weeks and you have EXACTLY what you want.

ramped...you are just like many of my customers...you want the car that isnt available immediately...and you want it NOW!!! personally, i dont follow the logic.
    I don't want anything right now. Not even shopping. When I do go out to buy, I always find the car I want on a lot within a few miles and buy it. Not interested in dealer trades and orders anymore. Too many unknowns pop up. I'm just saying, and you agree, that the safety equipment should be standard.

Maybe the reason the ABS/bags car sat on the lot for six months is that it had other options that people didn't want. When I do see an Altima with the bags package, it us usually loaded with leather, roof, the works. Who knows why some cars don't sell? I find it hard to believe that the thousand or so the ABS package costs would make a car unsellable, but you are in the trenches, so I'll take your word for it.
    Because.

A) ABS should be standard anyway. You shouldn't have to pay EXTRA for safety features.

B) The car is already expensive in the first place, so adding ABS to the car would only make the price higher.

For example, I was calculating my car payments over at Cars.com. The Accord similarly equipped is in some cases $1000-$2000 cheaper than the comparable Altima, and yet it has some features that aren't offered on the Altima.

Now, the Altima for the most part has the power driver's seat (Conv. pkg for S), Xenons available on the SE and standard on the 3.5SL, BUT, the Accord offers dual-zone climate control, a power passenger's seat on the EXV6 sedan and has better resale value.

This decision gets tougher and tougher.

I have to keep pricing in mind because I will be going off to college in the fall and the lower the payments, the better.

With what I want to put down, the Accord EX-L will run me about $199 a month for 60 months, while the Altima 2.5SL will run me nearly $225 a month. Not much of a difference, but a DIFFERENCE. If you know what I mean.
    is that I am not particularly crazy about the styling of the sedan.

The coupe looks nice, however, but it is just too small for someone as big as me.

Also, from Carsdirect.com, the Mazda6 is cheaper than the Accord or Altima because of rebates, so payments for a M6 would be even lower.

My three choices are down to the Accord, Altima and 6. I did consider the Passat, but the Altima's price is already pushing it, and the Passat is more expensive than the Altima comparably equipped.

I am trying to make myself like the Accord for the sake of its value, reliablity, refinement (Interior is incredible, adjustable headrest,etc.) and resale value. However, I smile when I think about the Mazda6 and especially the Altima.

The interior was the only thing that kept me from getting the Altima back in 2002, and even though the interior of the 2005 is a VAST improvement over the 2002-04s, it still isn't quite on the Accord's level. It's damn near close though.

I have been roaming these boards since the hey day of the 2000 Nissan Maxima. Now that I have finally gotten my shot at getting a new car, the decision becomes much harder.
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Posts: 180
    way ta go nissan fer making the altima better! itz on my shoppin list now, beside the mazda 6 wagon, buick lacrosse and mazda mpv sport.

hey Maxx:

if you've got to make yourself like something, don't get it. that's been my experience with cars, clothes, guitars and relationships. if you like the mazda 6 and altima the best, choose one of those man.

i'm looking at the mazda 6 wagon myself, but i still cannot decide between 2 or 3 final choices. the mazdas are priced pretty good tho, huh? i'll reserve judgement til the test drive.
    I was checking out Mazdausa.com and I noticed the new Mazda6 wagon and hatchback.

I thought I would like the hatch the best, but I actually like the wagon better than the sedan or the hatchback.

The pics they have are really nice. I was looking through my Motortrend Magazine (April Issue) and I noticed they had a brief write up on the hatch/wagon versions.

The wagon looks the best IMO.

As for right now, the Altima is my first choice, even though it is the most expensive so far, and is somewhat overpriced.

I can get a fully loaded Accord EXV6 for almost the same price as a loaded 2.5S with SL pkg, ABS and moonroof.
  • rampedramped Posts: 358
    Ah, to be young and with enough bucks in your pocket to buy a new car.

Just by reading your posts over the past year or so, you seem pretty set on a sporty sedan, primarily the Altima. I see you are now thinking about the Accord, which is a wise move on your part. It is the best all around midsize sedan for the price. Period. I almost bought one over the Christmas break, but I backed off for the same reason you did - didn't like the sedan's styling. And I'm almost a 50-year old gomer with two kids. So I know where you are coming from.

At your age, if I can remember back that far, cars are meant for fun (and, of course reliabilty and safety, which you seem to have carefully considered).

So, going solely by the fun factor, I would think you would be happier in the Altima or the MZ6 than an Accord. Remember, at your age, you have plenty of time to buy the responsible grown up sedan. My advice: Get the hottest-looking wheels you can and have fun, dude!
    Did any of you see that the Altima SE-R will debut at NYIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This info can be found over at Nissannews.com

I am so darn confused now.

However, Ramped, the Accord has EXCELLENT value and EXCELLENT resale value.

I wish I could take the best of the Accord and the best of the Altima and make it into ONE car.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,677
    max, if you're going to school, you're obviously going to be concerned about repair costs and, of course, out-of-commission time in the shop. Clearly, this makes your move away from the Passat a good one in several regards. Have you done the True Cost to Own on the models you're considering?

It sounds like all 3 that you're considering are good choices. My personal experience with Mazda reliability & driving fun was fantastic.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bobcatmanbobcatman Posts: 51
    One thing about the Accord is that it doesn't excel in one area per se, but is good in almost every area. Which makes it tough to top.
This discussion has been closed.